PDA

View Full Version : There must be a better way! How to clean smooth-top stoves and pan exteriors

ExtraSlow
10-16-2017, 04:13 PM
So my smooth-top stove gets cooked on messes and they are really hard to remove. Note this is NOT an induction stove, it's the older technology where the surface is heated directly from below. I have found that using a brand new Vileda Glass-ceramic "scrunge" does work as long as I use a lot of elbow grease. Those pastes don't seem to help at all, and I know of no other product that works.
Spending over an hour to clean the stove seems excessive.

Also does anyone have tips for cleaning the exterior of pots and pans? It's just cosmetic but if there's something I would be interested.

Pics for flavour. No banana for scale, typical stove and pan sizes. Both pan and stove surface have been freshly cleaned with non-scratch sponge and dish soap in water.

Tik-Tok
10-16-2017, 04:17 PM
For pots and pans, Bar Keepers Friend (the powder, not the diluted liquid)

Edit: They have a cooktop cleaner too, that might work for you?

SJW
10-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Edit: They have a cooktop cleaner too, that might work for you?

This. Works mint. I use it on the cooktop too.

suntan
10-16-2017, 04:43 PM
What the holy hell are you cooking that causes that much mess????

88CRX
10-16-2017, 04:51 PM
The first key step is not allowing it get that dirty. That one looks way too far gone!

Don't boil things over and if they do clean them up right after it cools down with any of those powdery paste products. And wash your pans, hah.

ExtraSlow
10-16-2017, 05:08 PM
I knew these pics would bring the hate, and that's cool. So with the powder, you use that on a rag or what?

JfuckinC
10-16-2017, 05:19 PM
http://www.corningware.com/16-oz-cleaner-%26-conditioner/1048984.html

ExtraSlow
10-16-2017, 05:22 PM
And we aren't cooking anything unusual. Normal things, but apparently we are worse than average with letting stuff boil over and having oil splatter onto the hot surface. Having a disabled kid to chase around probably doesn't help, I know the rest of the house is a disaster. The pans get washed every time they get used. Even the outsides. I have no understanding of how that stuff sticks like it does. I guess I could hit it with steel wool too, wouldn't matter if the exteriors got scratched.

funny enough, some pans seem to hold the staining way worse than others. the plain steel exterior ones wipe away just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.corningware.com/16-oz-cleaner-%26-conditioner/1048984.html

I've used similar paste products and I must be doing it wrong. They seriously don't seem to do anything. Had someone recommended fireplace glass cleaner and that was useless. Have two different "glass cooktop cleaner" pastes and neither has done anything.

I may sound like Mar here, but do you have to use an orbital polisher or something with these pastes?

JfuckinC
10-16-2017, 05:26 PM
I just squeeze it onto the cooktop then fold up a couple of paper towels and go HAM on it. Works great for me, literally did it last night. Yours might be a lost cause though haha, i try and keep up with mine ;)

Tik-Tok
10-16-2017, 05:38 PM
I knew these pics would bring the hate, and that's cool. So with the powder, you use that on a rag or what?

For the bottoms of those pots and pans, try using the powder and a sponge that has a firmer plastic scrubber side to it, or just go straight for the steel wool and powder.

You may just need an orbital polisher to get that glass clean though. You could try a razor blade too.

JRSC00LUDE
10-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Fuck I've got some enamel pans that are like that. Can't get it off.

Yeah, yeah, that's what she said.

Stovetop though, that should come clean with ceramabrite or whatever and a lot of hard work. Then just keep up with it.

ercchry
10-16-2017, 06:22 PM
I wet sanded mine, got rid of the scratches and everything... looked brand new

The_Penguin
10-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Came here to say that. The powder for sure.

botox
10-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Vinegar and baking soda. Let it sit for like 5 minutes then take a razor blade and scrape the harder stuff off. The trick is to do it firm but lightly so you don't end up scratching the top. I do this every month or so and it works great.

firebane
10-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Yeah razor blade works best for the really caked on stuff. Make sure the top stays wet for lubricant and just glide it over.

schocker
10-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Yup, I use a razor blade too and then cook top cleaner after. I should try the vinegar and baking soda too though. Supposed to work good for pans as well.

firebane
10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
I would personally never own a glass cooktop as they are just a giant pain in the ass.

JfuckinC
10-17-2017, 09:44 AM
I would personally never own a glass cooktop as they are just a giant pain in the ass.

No way man, so easy to keep clean, just gotta clean it after you use it.. When i had my house warming party and hadn't even used mine yet someone leaned against the range dial and turned it on and melted a cutting board on lol Burned it at high heat then scraped it off looked new still :thumbsup:

Waldi
10-17-2017, 11:00 AM
baking soda with water, does wonders.

Kloubek
10-17-2017, 12:14 PM
As others have said - baking soda. I've tried both water and vinegar but as we all know that bubbles up right away and I believe they neutralize each other once the reaction is finished so I tend not to do both. The part that made a big difference for me is to do the baking soda paste, then let it sit there for 15 minutes with a wet/damp cloth over top. That really helps soften it, and then the baking soda is slightly abrasive so it helps remove it after you start wiping.

This method has actually worked better for me than attacking it with any of the specialized (and expensive) cooktop cleaners. With that said, it is still a pain in the ass - especially if something has been left to bake on there for a few cooking sessions.

craigcd
10-17-2017, 04:03 PM
No way man, so easy to keep clean, just gotta clean it after you use it.. When i had my house warming party and hadn't even used mine yet someone leaned against the range dial and turned it on and melted a cutting board on lol Burned it at high heat then scraped it off looked new still :thumbsup:

I agree, the glass is easy to keep clean, i have a gas cook top and find it way harder to keep clean. Constantly pulling the grills off and cleaning up grease underneath.

riander5
10-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Jesus thats dirty. Toss her out and get a new one

89coupe
10-17-2017, 05:25 PM
The first key step is not allowing it get that dirty. That one looks way too far gone!

Don't boil things over and if they do clean them up right after it cools down with any of those powdery paste products. And wash your pans, hah.

Exactly, how on earth does it get that dirty to begin with?

My stove top is 6 years old and looks as good as the day I bought it.

speedog
10-17-2017, 07:06 PM

We've had the same glass cooktop for over 21 years and it's still in great shape - I was quite amazed at the shape extraslow's was in but using the tools/products others have suggested should get it back in shape. Basically clean after every spill, don't let the spills stay in the glass through multiple uses.

flipstah
10-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Bought these at Co-op and they work awesome, especially for crusts.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61xBMjRDQHL._SX355_.jpg

It took me 5 minutes of soak time before I hit it with elbow grease. 25 minutes total.

spikerS
10-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Bought these at Co-op and they work awesome, especially for crusts.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61xBMjRDQHL._SX355_.jpg

It took me 5 minutes of soak time before I hit it with elbow grease. 25 minutes total.

I use that cleaner too. I apply it to the stove top, and use a finger to spread it out over the surface. Dries in like 2 mins, and then I use a scraper and scrape it all off. Then i just use some glass cleaner to make it sparkle again.

firebane
10-17-2017, 09:23 PM

Cast iron and glass tops do not mix.

ercchry
10-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Cast iron and glass tops do not mix.

I must be doing it wrong

ExtraSlow
10-17-2017, 10:55 PM
So soaking with the paste and then razor blade sounds like the ticket for the current situation. Will test an area tomorrow.

Tik-Tok
10-18-2017, 04:27 AM
I must be doing it wrong

Same. I should stop I guess, even though I've been using cast iron on my glasstop for years with no problems.

Kloubek
10-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Same. I should stop I guess, even though I've been using cast iron on my glasstop for years with no problems.

We do too. We "tested" it first, moving it around slightly then checking for even the most tiny scratch, and nothing. So far so good.

JfuckinC
10-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Can we get an update picture haha, i feel like it will be satisfying (only if it's super clean though :poosie:)

The_Rural_Juror
10-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Should have just saran wrapped the cooktop.

TYMSMNY
10-18-2017, 02:15 PM
baking soda with a bit of water (paste consistency). Let it sit for 10 min or so. You can then use a blade or a pad/elbow grease and it'll come off. If it's heavily stained, just wipe down and repeat. Quick 15 min glass top cleaning method.

ExtraSlow
10-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Can we get an update picture haha, i feel like it will be satisfying (only if it's super clean though :poosie:)

Cleaned the worst burner using razor blade and baking soda paste. Looks much better. Can't believe I didn't think of a razor blade, that's so obvious now....

No pics until entire surface is satisfyingly clean.

88CRX
10-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Yea, just keep giving it shit. Bad spills usually requires multiple passes so maybe there's hope for your stove top.

Tik-Tok
11-15-2017, 11:29 AM
No pics until entire surface is satisfyingly clean.

Updates?

G-ZUS
11-15-2017, 11:31 AM

+1

JfuckinC
11-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Ya where's our update lol!? Did you give up?

ExtraSlow
11-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Oh man, I got the top pretty clean with the razor blade, it was a million times easier than the stupid scrunge for the big stuff. However, pretty much as soon as I had it clean we had another pot boil over, and it pretty much broke my spirit, lol.
So, in summary, this is why we can't have nice things. No pics. Although I will be cleaning more often, so I should get it "all the way clean" and take pics for you animals.

FYI, this is the best stuff to mess up a cooktop.

firebane
11-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Milk products or boiled pasta water ugh

suntan
11-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Buy Windex and J-Cloths. Spray, let it soak, all that crap comes off with the J-Cloth.

ercchry
11-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Use a bigger pot! :rofl:

flipstah
11-21-2017, 09:28 AM

This.

firebane
11-21-2017, 09:45 AM

Pot size means nothing if the person cooking isn't watching lol

ExtraSlow
11-21-2017, 09:50 AM
Pot size means nothing if the person cooking isn't watching lol

This. Lol.

Seth1968
11-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Or even better, a timer.

JfuckinC
11-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Or pay attention to something that takes less than 10 minutes to cook lol.......

ExtraSlow
11-21-2017, 10:42 AM
I knew I'd get shit on in this thread so it doesn't bother me. Fire away boys.

flipstah
11-21-2017, 10:45 AM
I knew I'd get shit on in this thread so it doesn't bother me. Fire away boys.

Sounds like you need a Filipino nanny.

ercchry
11-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Sounds like you need a Filipino nanny.

You should see don in a wig! :rofl: