PDA

View Full Version : Good vegetarian pho?

NissanFanBoy
10-16-2017, 07:21 PM
Noticed the vegan/vegetarian thread the other day...

Does anyone have any recommendations in this city for a good, vegetarian satay pho??

I work downtown so I've had the one at Song Viet a couple times now and it's not too bad to battle the beef based pho cravings but I can still tell it's basically just salted water with satay added....I do however, love the tofu they put in it, it actually holds all the satay juices before you bite into it, something beef doesn't do!:poosie:

So, anyone in town that has a satay pho with a non-beef based broth that actually tastes like the real thing???

TYMSMNY
10-16-2017, 11:21 PM
get a chicken pho and add satay sauce. I'm sure they can do "no chicken, add veggies" to it.

CompletelyNumb
10-17-2017, 12:33 AM
I thought vegetarians would eat the broth, but not the meat, and vegans are neither..?

TYMSMNY
10-17-2017, 01:01 AM
I thought vegetarians would eat the broth, but not the meat, and vegans are neither..?

Generally speaking yes that's what I believe it to be.

Vegetarians = no direct meat.
Vegans = no direct meat or byproducts (milk, cheese, broth etc)

bigbadboss101
10-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Yeah if one is vegan or vegetarian then when they go for pho they want the broth to be vegetable based too. Many places can serve you vegetable pho but the soup is meat based.

NissanFanBoy
10-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Not to get into a debate.... But a broth requires the killing of the cow to make. Fake pho will never taste like real pho but honestly, I've had real pho that was so bland it may as well be fake pho, beef flavor is a huge component but not all, most of it is spices like star anise plus onions, etc.

bleu
10-17-2017, 11:02 AM
I haven’t tried this restaurant, but they are known to cater to vegetarians and has decent reviews. Might be worth giving it a try?

http://www.tamarindyyc.com

tonytiger55
10-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Am tempted to try and make this...

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-vegetarian-pho-vietnamese-noodle-soup-recipes-from-the-kitchn-107312

NissanFanBoy
10-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Do you have allergies? Because I have tried the Vietnamese branded pho cubes from superstore, I put home made satay sauce in it and no word of a lie it tastes exactly like the satay pho at most restaurants, the stock has no real beef in it.

legendboy
10-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Do you have allergies? Because I have tried the Vietnamese branded pho cubes from superstore, I put home made satay sauce in it and no word of a lie it tastes exactly like the satay pho at most restaurants, it had no real beef in it.

thats because they use the water buffalo extract

tonytiger55
10-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Do you have allergies? Because I have tried the Vietnamese branded pho cubes from superstore, I put home made satay sauce in it and no word of a lie it tastes exactly like the satay pho at most restaurants, the stock has no real beef in it.

No allergies. Just cant eat certain stuff as posted on the other thread.

I'l keep it in mind next time im in superstore. Hmmmm maybe this weekend...

Jerms
10-20-2017, 10:52 AM
I haven’t tried this restaurant, but they are known to cater to vegetarians and has decent reviews. Might be worth giving it a try?

http://www.tamarindyyc.com

This!! This place is awesome, small/family owned sit down restaurant on the West end of downtown. They make a delicious Vegetarian Pho and their Pad Thai is pretty darn good. Haven't been there in awhile but highly recommend it

[GaGe]
10-23-2017, 03:53 PM
My GF's vegetarian and her top 3 (with vegetable broth) are:

1) Bolsa - where the triple homicide was a few years ago
2) Vietnamese Beef Stew Noodle House - across from Churchill
3) Basil

NissanFanBoy
10-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks I'll have to try those...

Went to Tamarind on the weekend, the pho was a bit disappointing, had the satay one and it tasted nothing like the real thing, not even close, it was good though, but not even close....

nzwasp
10-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Anyone got a pic of what the pho cubes at superstore look like?

I saw that they also had pho broth, tom yum broth and ramen broth now made by PC in their broth section.

TYMSMNY
10-23-2017, 09:39 PM

NissanFanBoy
10-23-2017, 09:59 PM
Ya that's the one I bought, it's great!!!...also for homemade satay that I add to it, I just put garlic and jalapeno peppers in a blender, then put oil in a pan, simmer it together for 20-25 minutes, then add peanut butter and salt and sugar to taste...you can add fish sauce to it too for more taste but I'm strict vegetarian so none of that stuff for me.

I just put sliced tomatoes into it with the pho noodles for more taste and I just like tomatoes and when I was in Hanoi, a place actually put tomatoes in my pho for me and it tasted pretty damn good.

Don't buy the PC pho broth, taste like shit!

Disoblige
10-24-2017, 07:42 AM
I saw that Campbell's now has a pho broth too. Wow.
Someone ballsy enough to try it?

http://campbells-soup-362252ef.s3.amazonaws.com/Pho-Broth-for-CSca.png

CompletelyNumb
10-24-2017, 07:52 AM
The Campbell's is surprisingly good in a pinch. Not near as good as the cubes though.

tonytiger55
10-24-2017, 08:27 AM
I was actually looking for the Viet pho broth thingy. I thought it was in liquid form. That photo helps, now i know what to look for.

Does the Campbells Pho broth actually have any beef in it? I could not tell from the ingredients list.

bh87
10-24-2017, 09:35 AM
I've tried the cubes in the past and they are actually pretty good, I've also bought and used this "spice packet" in beef broth (could use veggie broth instead) with a whole onion and piece of ginger that I "charred" on the bbq first:

NissanFanBoy
10-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Sorry I believe the one I tried before is the Campbell's one not the PC one... Either way, the authentic viet pho cubes are the best I had. Or I should say closest to the real thing.

phreezee
10-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Thanks I'll have to try those...

Went to Tamarind on the weekend, the pho was a bit disappointing, had the satay one and it tasted nothing like the real thing, not even close, it was good though, but not even close....

Good to know! Goes to show, not to believe all the internet reviews/hype. I've tried to eat at this place on 3 occasions and they were always full because the place was tiny and one time their credit/debit machine was broken. Completely gave up on the place, now I won't even bother.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw that Campbell's now has a pho broth too. Wow.
Someone ballsy enough to try it?

http://campbells-soup-362252ef.s3.amazonaws.com/Pho-Broth-for-CSca.png

I've tried it and it's terrible. :rolf:

nzwasp
10-26-2017, 05:06 PM
I was actually looking for the Viet pho broth thingy. I thought it was in liquid form. That photo helps, now i know what to look for.

Does the Campbells Pho broth actually have any beef in it? I could not tell from the ingredients list.

It does not have any beef in it - or as much beef as ramen packets do which is zero.

TYMSMNY
10-27-2017, 01:16 AM
It does not have any beef in it - or as much beef as ramen packets do which is zero.
Ingredients: WATER, SUGAR, DEXTROSE, PHO FLAVOUR (WATER, NATURAL FLAVOUR, YEAST EXTRACT, SALT, VEGETABLE JUICE [ONION, MUSHROOM, LEEK], ASCORBIC ACID, SPICE EXTRACTS [CLOVE, STAR ANISE, GINGER, CINNAMON], ONION OIL), SALT.

doesn't look like it, but I'd be concerned what "natural flavour" means.

edit: "suitable for vegetarians". I would think that it has some beef byproduct so not suitable for vegans.