PDA

View Full Version : Alberta under reports oil and gas emissions?

Gestalt
10-18-2017, 08:28 PM
So they lied about clean up cost and now this. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/17/study-methane-emissions-from-alberta-oil-and-gas-wells-are-worse-than-thought

Sugarphreak
10-18-2017, 09:15 PM

Gestalt
10-18-2017, 09:32 PM
"The pioneering peer reviewed study............ "

Yep, didn't read past this:

Peer reviewed = circle jerk of environmentalists
Means qualified people versus the rebel peoeple

Sugarphreak
10-18-2017, 09:49 PM

Feruk
10-19-2017, 08:02 AM

The die hard anti anything to do with environment research lobby strikes again. Scientists doing science in Alberta on emissions? Must be a scam right? We should trust oil companies and our right wing politicians only (and maybe Jesus)! Anyone else just wants to knock us down a peg, right?

All I'll say is that it's good the study wasn't done in Saskatchewan, cuz holy shit! That'll be a mess.

dirtsniffer
10-19-2017, 09:30 AM
I've tried to find the report, but I couldn't. If anyone knows where I can find it please share.

thinmyster
10-19-2017, 11:47 AM

I stopped reading past this.

Alberta ubder reports oil and gas emissions?

ExtraSlow
10-19-2017, 11:48 AM
I obder report my dank size.

Sugarphreak
10-19-2017, 12:03 PM

jltabot
10-19-2017, 12:20 PM
I've tried to find the report, but I couldn't. If anyone knows where I can find it please share.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.7b03525

schocker
10-19-2017, 12:30 PM
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.7b03525
Sounds a little reachy in the 'implication' section with the ifs.. Why in chops do you vent the casing gas though?

A790
10-19-2017, 12:32 PM
The so called "peers" who are doing the reviewing are just as biased

This isn't even a true scientific area, it is just cherry picking mass data collection to support whatever hypothesis you want. Not only that, there is little to zero accountability because anybody who disagrees with their little climate club gets ostracized so it won't upset grant money from special interest groups.

Climate science today is about as unbiased as the Rebel, and just as trustworthy. It runs on sensationalism of natural disasters and glacial melting, which I hate to break it to you, have been happening long before we as a species ever stepped foot on this earth.

Is the Earth's climate changing? Of course, it has an undeniable history of change. Do billions of people swarming the planet stripping away natural areas for roads, cities, farms, and other large scale infrastructure? I would say yes. Does human created C02 play a role? Probably, but I would say this specific factor has been massively overblown to the point of stupidity... likely for profit, and out of spite by the chronic have-nots of the world.
How would you know any of this given that you opted not the read the article?

Feruk
10-19-2017, 01:45 PM
How would you know any of this given that you opted not the read the article?
Exactly. While the article may be bias, Sugarphreak's post is nothing but bias. It's Trump-style ranting.

Sugarphreak
10-19-2017, 02:14 PM

revelations
10-19-2017, 02:21 PM
I would suggest that direct, airborne data collection from a 3rd party source is more usually more truthful and more reliable than the emitting industry itself.

HOWEVER

Regional methane and ethane emission rates were calculated based on airborne measurements from a series of flights conducted during October 27 to November 5, 2016.

If I sampled traffic on Deerfoot at 5pm on weekdays, I would report the DF is 100% GRIDLOCK. Similarly, short term measurements during (perhaps) peak activity will also show a statistical anomaly much easier.

They SHOULD HAVE run the flights perhaps 1-2x monthly for 12 months, AND THEN published the results. :facepalm: (ie. this was a really stupid, poorly thought out/sampled, study)

lasimmon
10-19-2017, 02:26 PM
I would suggest that direct, airborne data collection from a 3rd party source is more usually more truthful and more reliable than the emitting industry itself.

HOWEVER

If I sampled traffic on Deerfoot at 5pm on weekdays, I would report the DF is 100% GRIDLOCK. Similarly, short term measurements during (perhaps) peak activity will also show a statistical anomaly much easier.

They SHOULD HAVE run the flights perhaps 1-2x monthly for 12 months, AND THEN published the results. :facepalm: (ie. this was a really stupid study)

Eh, I don't think flying over a field at any given time is going to show more or less emissions on the average.

There is a ton of released Methane that goes un-reported.

revelations
10-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Eh, I don't think flying over a field at any given time is going to show more or less emissions on the average.

There is a ton of released Methane that goes un-reported.

Um, there absolutely are seasonal fluctuations in volatile gas emissions from any given environment. Cause by both seasonal variations in the industry AND environment seasonal variations.

Again, I dont doubt the potential accuracy potential of airborne surveys, but the sampling was very short sighted. Had this been a 12 month long study, then its relevant.

jltabot
10-19-2017, 02:50 PM
Not that I know anything about aerial survey equipment, does anyone know how accurate their measurement tools would be? A 95% confidence level accounting for instrument uncertainties seems a little high, no? Especially if you're surveying from a plane? More curious than anything else.

J-hop
10-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Oh like I even had to bother reading it to know that people like Tim Gray are somehow behind it.

This shit is so biased that my post is actually quite neutral in comparison.

Resorting to calling it Trump-Style is also perfectly in line with what I expect. That is the standard go to discredit. The playbook is basically to create self serving groups to credit one another in a giant circle jerk, and then systematically discredit all that disagree.

In the words of Trump... Fake News!

So you haven’t read it? The thing with science is you can’t get anything intelligent from reading a news paper’s summary of something they don’t understand. So the only thing you can do to decide whether or not you believe the right controls were in place during a study, causation/correlations are assigned correctly etc is to actually read the study.

No offence but wasn’t it you that was using Tim Ball from the friends of science to back up some of your claims. Even though that guy is a nut job who has been found receiving funding from oil companies and also been caught lying/exaggerating about his educational background. Maybe it was someone else though....

mr2mike
10-19-2017, 05:33 PM
I'm going to blame near-by cattle and farms.
Why? Because, why not?

Gestalt
10-19-2017, 05:48 PM
I feel better after knwoing that I'm not the only one ith a higb school certificate and couldn't get a diploma.

Seth1968
10-19-2017, 06:13 PM
That guy has admitted to receiving funding from oil companies

That's the whole problem with just about all "scientific" studies when a vested interest (money) is involved.

Throw in variables, omit some variables, and the desired result is achieved.

FFS, give me those characteristics, a few grand, and I'll make a computer model that proves anything you want.

Seth1968
10-19-2017, 06:19 PM
I feel better after knwoing that I'm not the only one ith a higb school certificate and couldn't get a diploma.

Meh, you're better off with a high school diploma and a trade.

Anyway, what's the fuck up with your spelling?

Gestalt
10-19-2017, 06:20 PM
That's the whole problem with just about all "scientific" studies when a vested interest (money) is involved.

Throw in variables, omit some variables, and the desired result is achieved.

FFS, give me those characteristics, a few grand, and I'll make a computer model that proves anything you want.

So, go for it. Prove them wrong. Nothing is stopping you apparantly, and the gas companies will gladly give you funds for it.

Seth1968
10-19-2017, 06:24 PM
So, go for it. Prove them wrong. Nothing is stopping you apparantly, and the gas companies will gladly give you funds for it.

Except, my point was general, and not specific to the study you posted.

Gestalt
10-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Except, my point was general, and not specific to the study you posted.

I heard you say that if you had a pair if Nikes you could outscored Bryant.

Come on big mouth, prove it :rofl:

Seth1968
10-19-2017, 06:41 PM
I heard you say that if you had a pair if Nikes you could outscored Bryant.

Come on big mouth, prove it :rofl:

Your spelling has cleared up.

Now let's work on your analogies:)

J-hop
10-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Your spelling has cleared up.

Now let's work on your analogies:)

Not really, still mixing present and past tense :)

In school I took a course where you spent half of it reading peer reviewed papers and investigating who was reviewing the papers and why the paper was or wasn’t credible.

People always use the saying “I didn’t learn anything in school” or “ I don’t use anything I learned in school at my job” while if you focus strictly on the facts you learned that might be true if you look at the critical thinking, problem solving skills and effective methods to research problems you learned that statement is almost always false.

dj_patm
10-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Bahaha this would be the place you find people arguing that an article being peer-reviewed makes it more biased.

dirtsniffer
10-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Sounds a little reachy in the 'implication' section with the ifs.. Why in chops do you vent the casing gas though?

Many single well batteries, a lot of production not tied into to pipelines inability to store gas on lease.

Gestalt
10-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Warning. More pier review science ahed.

Pollution kills more then smoking, wars and cars and obviously terrorists

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/pollution-worldwide-deaths-1.4363613

Gestalt
10-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Gorrila gloves and touch screens.

Sugarphreak
10-20-2017, 03:07 PM

dj_patm
10-20-2017, 04:31 PM
You didn't die at 35.

If you made it past being a toddler, you had okay odds to live until your 50's.

The average life expectancy was low cause you were pretty likely to die as a child.

J-hop
10-20-2017, 04:33 PM
Here is a fact for Beyond Peer Review:

Natural causes due to old age kills even more than that. Sure back in the 1500's there was very little pollution, but you died at the age of 35 on average.

That actually isn’t exactly true in the sense I believe you are intending. So many people misrepresent this because they don’t understand how the statistics are formed.

The life expectancy in the past is often suppressed due to high infant mortality rates. For example if in a population of 100, 50% died at 1 and 50% lived to sixty the life expectancy at birth would be 30.5 years old. When in fact very few who made it past infancy actually died around 30 years.

I’ll give you that medical advances have extended human life but that average age of 35 that is always thrown around for civilizations in the 15/1600s is super misleading.

Sugarphreak
10-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Gestalt
10-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Another guy thats a set of Nikes away from out scoring Bryant.

J-hop
10-20-2017, 09:30 PM
I agree, although the average from birth is still relevant in my point. How many infants die of pollution? ... and how many died in the 1500's of causes that our tech these days could have saved? Arguably, I'd rather live in our "polluted" world that gave rise to the amazing tech we have today, than the natural world in which all the idiot hippies want to go live.

The fact that pollution kills more than war, smoking, cars, and of course terrorists, should be celebrated if anything. I mean shit, is this a good time to be alive or what?

I agree with you more than it probably sounds. I agree the pollution scare tactics are stupid and don’t promote any intelligent discussion. I think naturally our societies progress towards cleaner and cleaner cities and less and less pollution. No one wants to live in a city of plastic cups all over the ground and carbureted cars smogging up the place.

People give such little credit for the exponential gains we’ve made even in just the last decade with respect to cleaner tech. The problem now is politicians have stolen the focus from science and we spend our days arguing over political opinions instead of debating the science.

Sugarphreak
10-20-2017, 10:21 PM

msommers
10-21-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm glad to see that things haven't changed around here lol

Seth1968
10-21-2017, 04:24 PM
I'm glad to see that things haven't changed around here lol

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

Seth1968
10-21-2017, 04:30 PM
I agree, although the average from birth is still relevant in my point. How many infants die of pollution? ... and how many died in the 1500's of causes that our tech these days could have saved? Arguably, I'd rather live in our "polluted" world that gave rise to the amazing tech we have today, than the natural world in which all the idiot hippies want to go live.

The fact that pollution kills more than war, smoking, cars, and of course terrorists, should be celebrated if anything. I mean shit, is this a good time to be alive or what?

:clap:

Back then, a broken leg meant a slow and horrific death.

Sugarphreak
10-21-2017, 05:35 PM

rage2
10-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Back then, a broken leg meant a slow and horrific death.
This is worse:

https://www.facebook.com/VaXismNEWS/videos/870311386445235/

JRSC00LUDE
10-21-2017, 10:42 PM

He's a troll. That's what's up with his spelling.

J-hop
10-21-2017, 10:52 PM
He's a troll. That's what's up with his spelling.

Yea I actually think gestalt and suntan are the same person that argue with people from different extreme sides of the argument. Pretty sure suntan refers to the SUN logo that is made up of all U’s but a “gestalt switch” makes you see it as The word SUN instead of a collection of U’s. They actually use a lot of very similar syntax and sayings

Maxt
10-21-2017, 11:40 PM
Meh, you're better off with a high school diploma and a trade.

He already told you, its from wearing rubber gloves...

Gestalt
10-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Oh no, more scientific stuff sugar wont understand.

This one found that fracking chemicals damage developing brains in childrem.

https://www.ecowatch.com/study-fracking-chemicals-harm-kids-brains-2501275054.html

coincidentaly, my wife says that learning dissabilities, and other developmental dissabilities ahve exploded in the alberta school system where they are straining to keep up. conididence?

J-hop
10-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Oh no, more scientific stuff sugar wont understand.

This one found that fracking chemicals damage developing brains in childrem.

https://www.ecowatch.com/study-fracking-chemicals-harm-kids-brains-2501275054.html

coincidentaly, my wife says that learning dissabilities, and other developmental dissabilities ahve exploded in the alberta school system where they are straining to keep up. conididence?

Do you know how fracking regulation and the depths of formations fracked in Alberta compare to those examples of contaminated water sources in the US?

Gestalt
10-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Do you know how fracking regulation and the depths of formations fracked in Alberta compare to those examples of contaminated water sources in the US?

Do you know Albertans have found fracking chemicals in there drinking water. Its in our rivers and has been shown to even fuch up our fish.

Keep up. Thats yesterdays news.

J-hop
10-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Do you know Albertans have found fracking chemicals in there drinking water. Its in our rivers and has been shown to even fuch up fish.

Keep up. Thats yesterdays news.

Yea and how many incidents?

Runoff from farmland has polluted drinking water in Alberta too...

Do you work in O/G?

Gestalt
10-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Not relevent. We need to move on. It costs more and does more harm than it helps. Albertas clean up bill is more than we as a province have made in royalties up till now.

Its ok, my wifes a teacher. Shell teach you high school so that you can change careers when we stop subsidizing the dirtiest industry on esrth.

J-hop
10-28-2017, 03:07 PM
Not relevent. We need to move on. It costs more and does more harm than it helps. Albertas clean up bill is more than we as a province have made in royalties up till now.

Its ok, my wifes a teacher. Shell teach you high school so that you can change careers when we stop subsidizing the dirtiest industry on esrth.

So naive.

You’d rather a company put in 4 wells instead of drilling and fracking one?

You ban fracking you create a larger footprint as a company has to drill more wells to extract the same volune of hydrocarbons

Not a good model if you’re worried about environmental impact. Naive/ignorant anti-frackers don’t seem to grasp this

Please post all examples of groundwater contamination you know of.

J-hop
10-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Naive people also don’t realize that for 90% of the US there are no regulating bodies that monitor, regulate, investigate and penalize companies like the AER does in Alberta.

Don’t compare apples to oranges...

Gestalt
10-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Ban all new development. Force a shift. Humans are lazy and greedy and corrupt. They wont give up easy money by polluting the environemnt unless you make them.

Amazons new plant will be solar.
As for you pretending you are handicapped from drinking fracking fluid. I know you can google.

It its in the rivers. Aqufiiers. Its not staying wyere they claimed. I dont know who actually thought it would.

J-hop
10-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Ban all new development. Force a shift. Humans are lazy and greedy and corrupt. They wont give up easy money by polluting the environemnt unless you make them.

Amazons new plant will be solar.
As for you pretending you are handicapped from drinking fracking fluid. I know you can google.

It its in the rivers. Aqufiiers. Its not staying wyere they claimed. I dont know who actually thought it would.

I’m going to have to stop here. It’s clear you’re being dishonest in this debate. You haven’t researched into this issue at all. Calling someone mentally challenged because you yourself refuse to present a decent argument puts no credibility in what you have to say.

dirtsniffer
10-28-2017, 06:27 PM
Can we ban this troll yet?

JRSC00LUDE
10-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Why do people keep engaging this troll, it makes them look almost as stupid as it does.

Gestalt
10-30-2017, 11:27 PM
So kenney is in, and all sources project 4% gorwth in Alebrta next year.

Thanks useless fat fuck trailer park boys reject, looks like we are stuck with NDP for 4 more years :facepalm:

At least Jean would have beat the Notley

HiTempguy1
10-31-2017, 11:46 AM
So kenney is in, and all sources project 4% gorwth in Alebrta next year.

Thanks useless fat fuck trailer park boys reject, looks like we are stuck with NDP for 4 more years :facepalm:

At least Jean would have beat the Notley

:rofl:

Gold jerry, just gold :)

Gestalt
10-31-2017, 03:00 PM
:rofl:

Gold jerry, just gold :)

Had to look that up. :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWbAJh4Y9sU