PDA

View Full Version : Flashing

min_boost
10-18-2017, 10:56 PM
No, not boobs.

If you're driving on the road, minding your own damn business and you see a photoradar van on the other side, what do you do? Do you flash your high beams at oncoming traffic to warn them, or do you let them fend for themselves?

I would normally ask my exgirlfriend, but she normally runs people off the road. I can't tell because of her bad driving or if it's because of the people getting distracted by the fake tits I bought her.

dj_rice
10-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Yes definately flash. Help a bro. I do all the time

flipstah
10-18-2017, 11:35 PM
I definitely flash for opposing traffic or put on my hazards for people behind me.

Hazard flashing also works to say thanks if they let you in.

snowcat
10-18-2017, 11:56 PM
95% of people don’t have a clue.

Only if see a speed trap out on the main highway, never in the city.

BokCh0y
10-19-2017, 12:01 AM
I flash for sure and I appreciate when others return the favour.

But I noticed in the last say 5+ years, it's not as common as when I was younger. Maybe the millennial's are too lazy??? Or people just don't give a fuck anymore to warn others.

TYMSMNY
10-19-2017, 12:27 AM
It's better to honk than to flash.. in both your situations.

spike98
10-19-2017, 08:04 AM
It's better to honk than to flash.. in both your situations.

I dont think i would hear someone honking at me from a 1-2km away but i will certainly see flashing lights.

Thaco
10-19-2017, 08:14 AM
it depends on the area, when people rip at 70 down a 50 through a residential area, they can pay the fine, but if its like 90 on a 70 that nobody does the limit on, then yeah i'll flash.

ExtraSlow
10-19-2017, 08:16 AM
I'm that grumpy asshole who hopes other people get a ticket. No flash.

Tik-Tok
10-19-2017, 08:20 AM
I don't flash in the city, too many people turned their brights on me when I did. I still do on the highway though.

dirtsniffer
10-19-2017, 08:25 AM
I would normally ask my exgirlfriend, but she normally runs people off the road. I can't tell because of her bad driving or if it's because of the people getting distracted by the fake tits I bought her.

I have to assume this is a troll and a jab at max_boost

I LOL'd

lilmira
10-19-2017, 08:29 AM
I wink twice and sometimes I wear sunglasses.

Depending on the situation. In the city, most likely no.

Homerrca
10-19-2017, 08:35 AM
On the Highway I will flash (as long as there are no cops around) but in the city I just don't do it any more. It seems folks don't understand and they think you are flashing them to say you have your high beams on. I flashed one guy in the city and I got the F.U. finger as a thanks.

botox
10-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Used to flash all the time, but after rarely getting it back in return I've pretty much stopped. Plus after watching too many movies and news about gangs I don't want to get murdered flashing the wrong person, that would suck.

JordanEG6
10-19-2017, 08:55 AM
I'm that grumpy asshole who hopes other people get a ticket. No flash.

Strong avy to post ratio.

tonytiger55
10-19-2017, 09:06 AM
I flash. Saved a few peeps.

Nufy
10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
Kinda related...

If you come up behind someone only using their daytime running lights at night...do you flash them to get them to turn on their tail lights ??

I do.

Asian_defender
10-19-2017, 09:44 AM
I always flash, only time it works is late night. If buddy is doing 65 in a 50 zone and its 1am I can help someone out. We've all done it

SKR
10-19-2017, 11:01 AM
I don't flash. You're on your own.

One time some guy in front of me stopped in the middle of the street and pointed at the photo radar box to let everyone know. Don't do that.

bjstare
10-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Kinda related...

If you come up behind someone only using their daytime running lights at night...do you flash them to get them to turn on their tail lights ??

I do.

Yeah always. This shit drives me nuts.

Was driving up Sarcee on my way home a couple weeks ago, and some idiot from Sask was driving with no lights on. I tried flashing them far longer than I probably should have...when I finally went around them, I just got a dirty look. Idiots.

nzwasp
10-19-2017, 11:12 AM
I flash for speed traps during the day because I’m more sure I’m not flashing a cop unsure if it’s a thing they can ticket you for.

I flash for animals regardless of day and night because know one wants a deer through their windscreen. The majority of ppl do not flash you in either situation. I’ve passed a bunch of cars and then came right up on a deer in the middle of the road with no warning at all.

ExtraSlow
10-19-2017, 11:41 AM
Can't wait for driver less cars so at least the robots will know how to operate a light switch.

lilmira
10-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Can't wait for driver less cars so at least the robots will know how to operate a light switch.
those buggers sure turn their lights on

TYMSMNY
10-19-2017, 01:50 PM
I dont think i would hear someone honking at me from a 1-2km away but i will certainly see flashing lights.

You only need to flash/honk when someone passes you in the opposite direction, not immediately at the point of trap.

Thaco
10-19-2017, 01:57 PM
You only need to flash/honk when someone passes you in the opposite direction, not immediately at the point of trap.

horn is for telling people they are a douche or waking them up when they are texting at a light... i'd never think a horn from opposing traffic is directed at me.

TYMSMNY
10-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Flashing may incur a ticket. Always honked for that reason, people usually slow down and wonder WTF or WHO THE HELL. Either way, got them to slow down.

shakalaka
10-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Wtf...I didn't even realize this wasn't max_boost until someone else mentioned...lol

dirtsniffer
10-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Wtf...I didn't even realize this wasn't max_boost until someone else mentioned...lol

No one else LOL'd

HiTempguy1
10-20-2017, 09:46 AM
horn is for telling people they are a douche or waking them up when they are texting at a light... i'd never think a horn from opposing traffic is directed at me.

They also wouldn't hear it, or it would make no sense as to what the honk meant.

Short flash oncoming = high beams on or speed trap ahead

Short flash behind = lights are off (no tailights)

Long flash behind = GTFO of the way

Long flash behind that appears to be beaming directly into your eyes as the following driver has aimed his high beams directly in your sideview mirror = I'm going to run you off the road in my big diesel pickup if you don't move

firebane
10-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Kinda related...

I do.

I find it doesn't really make a difference.

Was on Stony Trail the other night and some guy flashed his lights at a vehicle in front cause they only had their DRL on and it didn't make a difference.

When I drove by the vehicle it was a couple of young 20 year woman driving... not surprised.

94boosted
10-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Only if see a speed trap out on the main highway, never in the city.

This + laser on some of the higher speed roads i.e. deerfoot, stoney, glenmore etc.

TYMSMNY
10-20-2017, 05:53 PM
They also wouldn't hear it, or it would make no sense as to what the honk meant.

Short flash oncoming = high beams on or speed trap ahead

Short flash behind = lights are off (no tailights)

Long flash behind = GTFO of the way

Long flash behind that appears to be beaming directly into your eyes as the following driver has aimed his high beams directly in your sideview mirror = I'm going to run you off the road in my big diesel pickup if you don't move

If I honked as you were passing me... you wouldn't hear it...

Also your flashing system is something you've devised, not quite a universal language there. My honk, your flash. Both for attention.

speedog
10-20-2017, 06:35 PM
Short flash behind = lights are off (no tail lights)

Good fucking luck - people that can't figure out how to turn on their running lights probably have trouble performing other simple tasks as well.

TYMSMNY
10-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Good fucking luck - people that can't figure out how to turn on their running lights probably have trouble performing other simple tasks as well.

I didn't say that. HiTempguy1 did lol

speedog
10-21-2017, 11:05 PM
I didn't say that. HiTempguy1 did lol

Not sure how that happened.

Tej.S
10-22-2017, 03:39 AM
I rarely ever do it. A lot of people on the roads are idiots. The one thing that drives me crazy is the amount of people I see at night without their lights on, especially on the highway. How the f do you see your speedo?! If I'm in the city, I tend to flash/honk at people to try to get them to turn their lights on.

I've had mixed results with both lol. I've had people appreciate the fact that I had to remind them to turn their lights on. I've also had people give me the wtf/confused look, but that mostly comes from fobs from all ethnic backgrounds lol. It makes me wonder how so many people have passed their driving test.

bjstare
10-22-2017, 08:59 AM
How the f do you see your speedo?!
It makes me wonder how so many people have passed their driving test.

Many speedos are backlit whether the lights are on or not. Your car is. My car is. My wifes is, and 2/3 of my parents' cars are haha. It's automakers' fault for going in this direction - back in the day, if your lights were off, you couldn't see the speedo. Great reminder to turn em on.

RE: driving tests - I've heard from reliable sources that certain chinese-run driving schools will give licenses to new chinese drivers almost regardless of driving skill (just one example, I'm sure this happens with all ethnicities in some way shape or form. Idiots come in all colors)

NissanFanBoy
10-22-2017, 11:23 AM
What about drivers from other countries... Pretty sure Alberta doesn't retest all immigrants, I believe there's a list of countries not required. Kind of irrelevant though as I see a lot of clearly white folk driving like idiots.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Periodic retests of all drivers is one solution. Say every ten years maybe?

J-hop
10-22-2017, 12:28 PM
I rarely ever do it. A lot of people on the roads are idiots. The one thing that drives me crazy is the amount of people I see at night without their lights on, especially on the highway. How the f do you see your speedo?! If I'm in the city, I tend to flash/honk at people to try to get them to turn their lights on.

I've had mixed results with both lol. I've had people appreciate the fact that I had to remind them to turn their lights on. I've also had people give me the wtf/confused look, but that mostly comes from fobs from all ethnic backgrounds lol. It makes me wonder how so many people have passed their driving test.

The worst are especially imports that run the high beams at low power as DRLs. Not only can you not see them well from behind they are blinding oncoming traffic. Honda Civics are the worst.

I don’t flash as my low beams are HIDs and don’t stay on with the high beams. Nothing harder on an HID ballast than flicking them off and on again quickly

TomcoPDR
10-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Periodic retests of all drivers is one solution. Say every ten years maybe?

That'd be Mar velous

ExtraSlow
10-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Auto-pass if you own a Veloster