PDA

View Full Version : Hitting your own car

morningla
10-24-2017, 09:51 PM
First accident in 15 years. Backing into my other car i just parked behind a minute ago.
please make me feel better by telling me your experience and how you ended up repairing.

This is my wife >>> :banghead::facepalm::banghead::facepalm:

my insurance said i'll have to pay collision deductible per car.
getting a quote tomorrow for one of the two car to see if i should pay out of pocket.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Meh smashed into my best friends car on the lake last winter doing donuts leaving a sanctioned event, wrote off both cars and no insurance. Expensive lesson learned.

Alterac
10-24-2017, 10:29 PM
10 years ago my mother backed her truck over my friends car parked in our driveway. :D

Shlade
10-25-2017, 02:59 AM
was working on my car years ago in my dads garage and decided to back out and didn't bother looking if I had enough room on the driveway... I backed my red car into the side of his white van... Damaged the rear door a little bit and the quarter had a dime sized dent just by the wheel well. We were able to polish it out for the most part but dent was still there.

Lucky enough he took it to get some service work done on the van a few weeks later at fish creek Nissan and one of the techs side swiped a pole and damaged that side even more :rofl: so it all worked out towards the end and it got fixed haha

dj_rice
10-25-2017, 05:44 AM
Take your car into the dealership for an oil change. Hope they dont note your damage. When you pick up, complain this damage wasn't there when you dropped it off. Free fix :)

ExtraSlow
10-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Take your car into the dealership for an oil change. Hope they dont note your damage. When you pick up, complain this damage wasn't there when you dropped it off. Free fix :)
Sounds like a good program for an industry insider.

Swank
10-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Swung the door of my dad's old beat to hell truck right into my own car door about a week after I got it new, definitely felt like world's #1 idiot. I was surprised there was no dent, but the paint scuff took some work to buff away.

A few months ago my wife backed out of the garage without, ya know, opening the damn door (her car is only a year old). Hard lesson for her to learn, insurance fixed it all up for her but she paid out of pocket for the garage door repair.

Rocket1k78
10-25-2017, 10:41 AM
Sounds like a good program for an industry insider.

after his infiniti thread its hard to say if he really is an industry insider

revelations
10-25-2017, 10:42 AM
Meh smashed into my best friends car on the lake last winter doing donuts leaving a sanctioned event, wrote off both cars and no insurance. Expensive lesson learned.

No insurance coverage due to being at an event or no coverage at all?

Tik-Tok
10-25-2017, 10:49 AM

That only works on brand new infiniti's

NissanFanBoy
10-25-2017, 11:39 AM
That only works on brand new infiniti's

Also, some of us have morals lol

Not driving related, but I hung a convertible hand cart on my garage wall, didn't do a good job, it fell off and now I have a huge dent on my rear quarter panel.

nzwasp
10-25-2017, 12:38 PM
When I got my brand new Kia a few years ago I backed out of a tight car park by turning the wheel sharply instead of reversing straight back. Ripped the bumper straight off and because I didnt want to claim insurance against myself I ended up paying $3000 cash to replace the bumper and paint it in the pearl white. Couldnt believe a bumper and paint would cost that much.

Darell_n
10-25-2017, 01:29 PM
I pushed started my wife’s car backwards and she had it floored before hitting my work truck. Fortunately only scratches on both.

blownz
10-25-2017, 01:50 PM
First time I met my father-in-law (about 15 years ago) it was in the winter and I had started my car to warm up with the remote starter. It was snowing outside so before I left I offered to start his other daughters car (future sister-in-law) and wipe the snow off. It was a manual transmission and I opened the door, put my right foot on the clutch (left foot still on the driveway) and reached in and started the car. Then I took my foot off the clutch... Car was in gear...

So normally the car would just jump forward and stall, but because of all the snow, the tires started spinning and the car started to move forward. It knocked me over (lucky I didn't get hurt) and continued to drive forward until it hit my future father-in-laws RV. Then it stalled. Damage to the RV was minimal, but the front bumper, headlight, hood, and quarter panel on the passenger side of the car were all damaged.

No one saw it happen, but it was very difficult to go into the house and explain... Nothing like good first impressions...

I think they like me... :facepalm:

For the record, at the time my car was a manual as well, but I never left it in gear and didn't think about checking hers.

rage2
10-25-2017, 02:04 PM
my insurance said i'll have to pay collision deductible per car.
I found this kinda odd. Wouldn't you only pay the deductible once for the car that's at fault?

C4S
10-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Fix it without claiming insurance!

Other than door dings, back in to my other car once as well, not too bad, both bumpers need to repainted, $1K each.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-25-2017, 09:19 PM
No insurance coverage due to being at an event or no coverage at all?

No coverage on the lake, no coverage at events, no collision coverage on either car too, not that it would have mattered.

J-hop
10-26-2017, 07:11 AM

Doubtful that will work unless the dealership is really sloppy. Most note any damage (including windshield rock chips), when the vehicle comes in exactly for this reason.

Don’t think I could ever attempt this without feeling like a worthless skid

D'z Nutz
10-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Other than door dings, back in to my other car once as well, not too bad

I read this as "Other than door dings, back in to my other car once in a while, not too bad" and thought nothing of it :rofl:

CLiVE
10-26-2017, 01:55 PM
I finished rebuilding a 1975 Mercedes 280. I had just replaced all the chrome and front grill and had it sitting on the driveway. Then went to work on the other car in the garage and backed out without looking behind me and crushed the brand new grill and bumper. Damn.

morningla
10-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Swung the door of my dad's old beat to hell truck right into my own car door about a week after I got it new, definitely felt like world's #1 idiot. I was surprised there was no dent, but the paint scuff took some work to buff away.

A few months ago my wife backed out of the garage without, ya know, opening the damn door (her car is only a year old). Hard lesson for her to learn, insurance fixed it all up for her but she paid out of pocket for the garage door repair.

already done this, back out of my garage while the door is still opening, with my hatch back hatch open :facepalm: