PDA

View Full Version : Cooling a 4x4

black j
03-24-2004, 10:47 AM
I've got an 86 Bronco II (the little one), with HO 302 from a '70 mustang. There's really no room for an adequate sized rad, therefore, I'am putting the rad in the back of the truck (this truck is strictly offroad) Anyone done this? suggestions, potential problems?
- what size exhaust pipe
- good place to buy non formed rad hose

TIA
BLACK J :dunno:

Gonthro
03-24-2004, 11:11 AM
its works great... you need lots of coolant... and you dont need "rad" hose... any unshaped braided hose will do the job..

bol
03-24-2004, 11:26 AM
Keep in mind that braided line long enough for the job will probably cost a lot of money. It's not cheap stuff.

Are you sure theres not enough room for a rad up front? Look again... you might be able to modify the front rad support to fit a big one in there. I modified my S10's rad support and got a Corvette rad to fit just fine. Get a couple of good electric fans.

EK 2.0
03-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Or I have also seen set-ups where the owner used to Hi-Po import rads, say 2 Fluidyne Rads for a Civic and modded plumbing to hook those up, took up less space and still cooled very efficiently...Try looking into that, and yeah like Bol mentioned...Those ultra slimline fan do an amazing job of moving air...

black j
03-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Money is a huge factor here, so the custom rad or even buying another rad is out of the question for me. I've succesfully managed to mount a Ford Explorer rad, but its just not enough cooling.
What I do have is a hi flo 3 core rad out of a chev 1/2 ton (free), and an electric fan.
The research I've done tells me that 2 in rad hose will run apprx 10 bux/ft. And 2 in exhaust pipe runs apprx 4 bux/ft (cheaper and more suitable for offroad abuse) The plan to date was to run exhasut pipe along the frame rail and into the back of the body and use the rad hose to make all the connections.
What kind of dollars and where would a guy find braided steel?

TIA
Black j

bol
03-24-2004, 05:35 PM
Braided steel line is pretty expensive, but it is very flexible and can take very high pressures. I don't know if they even make them in sizes large enough for this application.

Give Best Buy Performance or MOPAC a call. I'm sure they can make some suggestions and give you prices.

Otherwise I'd check around on other 4x4 forums for suggestions.

I would be worried about the exhause pipe corroding.

ninspeed
03-24-2004, 05:40 PM
I have seen it done before... the rad would sit behind the rear window of the cab on a 45deg angle down towards the rear of the box with two electric fans running....

black j
03-25-2004, 10:16 AM
Yah, there are quite a few guys running them like this for similar reasons. I'm not sure as to why the 45 degree angle though, seems like this would just end up catching more mud than if mounted vertically w/ electric fans.
I'll give best buy buy a shout and see what kind of ideas/prices they have.
:)
Thanks Again
BLACK J

phat97yukon
03-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Ive seen alot of guys running rad's in the back, and they say it works pretty good, its just gettin everything to the back , but most of them its mabey a foot of rad hose and the rest is pipe, makes a pretty weird look and stands up to a good beating too... good luck in figureing out what to do :thumbsup: almost sounds like what me and my buddy did 2 years ago, 90 5.0 out of a mustang and put it in a jeep YJ that was a undertaking....