PDA

View Full Version : Dryer repair -parts?

J-hop
10-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Unfortunately looks like my dryer motor is on the way out.

Stopped tumbling or blowing hot air. Can hear a hum from the motor. Pulled it apart and drive belts for the barrel and blower motor are fine. Barrel moved smoothly, no obstruction.

With the top off I fired it up and assisted the motor by giving the barrel a nudge. Started up. (Weird because I rotated it several times before and tried firing it up with no success)

I turned it off and on a few times and it’s working fine now but I have no doubt the motor is on its way out.

Does anyone have recommendations of where to go for parts? - dryer is a Frigidaire but motor looks like it’s used in many different brands

I found a local store called reliable parts and they appear to have a bunch of parts for my model but no motor.

Found an online source that has the motor called “partselect”, anyone deal with them?

Would be nice to find someone local I could use though.

Motor is only $200, the unit new Is $700. Would hate to throw out a decent dryer over a $200 part.

Any local or online suggestions and/or reviews of “partselect”

J.M.
10-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Try searching up the part number on Amazon. I’ve had luck finding a washer door boot seal from Amazon in the past. Showed up in a few days, price was decent.

I’ve also bought a dryer timer and a washer pump locally from AMRE Supply.

J-hop
10-28-2017, 02:59 PM
I think I came across amre a few weeks ago when I was repairing my furnace I will check them out.

Reading online it seems very few people actually repair their appliances, they just buy new or pay a company.

Kinda silly as after having my furnace and now my dryer apart I’ve found with the exception of gas pipe fitting home appliances are stupid simple to work on!

BigDL
10-28-2017, 08:19 PM
I got my parts at AMRE Supply as well and it was cheaper than some of the other places in town.

Thaco
10-28-2017, 08:54 PM
reliable parts
sears appliance parts
Trail appliances

I've fixed plenty of my own appliances, those are my go-to's locally

J-hop
10-29-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks, will check those out this week. I’ve done about 4 loads successfully on the dryer so hopefully it holds on for a big longer.

speedog
10-29-2017, 10:02 AM
reliable parts
sears appliance parts
Trail appliances

I've fixed plenty of my own appliances, those are my go-to's locally

Sears appliance parts is probably a done thing soon.

raceman6135
10-29-2017, 10:11 AM
I haven't personally used them, but my brother-in-law has bought parts from Foothills Electric a few times over the years.

Don't forget about non-appliance places like Princess Auto, Acklands-Grainger, Soper's Supply, Electric Motor Service, etc who likely have units that will work; just have to match the specs and mounting method.

The_Penguin
10-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Unfortunately looks like my dryer motor is on the way out.

With the top off I fired it up and assisted the motor by giving the barrel a nudge. Started up. (Weird because I rotated it several times before and tried firing it up with no success)

I turned it off and on a few times and it’s working fine now but I have no doubt the motor is on its way out.

Before you go changing the motor, there's a very good chance it's the start or run capacitor.
Check it, or replace it first, you might save a lot of money.

J-hop
10-29-2017, 07:07 PM
Before you go changing the motor, there's a very good chance it's the start or run capacitor.
Check it, or replace it first, you might save a lot of money.

Yea that Is a good call, I was looking at the parts diagram and there’s a “control thermistor” might look into how to check that part.

LLLimit
10-29-2017, 07:48 PM
While you're at Amre, get a new tub seal/gasket for your dishwasher.
Mine leaked all over after a meager 5 years of life, and a new seal fixed her up.

klumsy_tumbler
10-30-2017, 11:43 AM
I have used partselect in the past and had a good experience. Their "how to" videos are also super helpful. For local parts, we've always used Trail Appliances

Zorac
11-01-2017, 08:53 PM
I have used partselect in the past and had a good experience. Their "how to" videos are also super helpful. For local parts, we've always used Trail Appliances

same here. used trail occasionally, but usually order off partselect and use their how to videos.