PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Station Redevelopment

ercchry
10-30-2017, 11:30 AM
I don’t know how to feel about this... would be nice to have a more urban feel down here, but current businesses already struggle... yeah the new residences should help with that... but can the current condo market even support more supply?

The BS park and ride shit is stupid though... if they are going to do all this work why can’t they put like 2k stalls underground?! I would not take a bus.. the train alone is enough of a time suck and barely is worth not driving to begin with

http://www.calgary.ca/CS/OLSH/Pages/Transit-Oriented-Development-(TOD)/Anderson-Station-Transit-Oriented-Development.aspx?WT.mc_id=REDS-AndersonStationTOD-adf-01

Brent.ff
10-30-2017, 11:43 AM
ya and this "Reducing stalls at Anderson Station and increasing stalls at other C-train locations will be done at the same time to minimize disruption to C-train users."

If you're one of the people that tries to get a spot in any of the stations south of anderson, you know the futility in this. There is virtually no parking available as the Okotoks crowd takes all of somerset, and then the rest are full by 6:30 AM. Anderson is full by 7:30, and the reserved spots are 3/4 empty. Can't blame the wife when she would rather drive downtown, pay $15 and get to work in half the time, and not fight for a spot.

So glad i don't have to take the train anymore..

88CRX
10-30-2017, 11:46 AM
This is what growing up instead of out looks like. Get used to it.

Planning doesn't care if the market can support more condo developments… only that more people live near transit, ride the buss or bikes and don’t build single family homes.

Tik-Tok
10-30-2017, 11:46 AM
I like the fairytale.... err.... "storybook" pictures. Looks so hip and trendy, there's no way council could turn it down!

In reality it's going to look exactly like it does, but with some high rise condo's, and parking for no one.

Xtrema
10-30-2017, 12:14 PM
UN Agenda 21, sustainable growth.

The issue is a lot of these city policy need to be set up decade ahead before it become a reality. By then it'll be needed.

In the end, traffic will get a lot worse for suburbia by growth and by design to incentify densification.

vengie
10-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Its the massive oversupply and continued development of condo's that has me getting out of that market.

Absolute shit show.

Xtrema
10-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Its the massive oversupply and continued development of condo's that has me getting out of that market.

Absolute shit show.

That market is all about rentals anyway at least for Calgary in the short to mid term. There is no way Calgary will ever hit Vancouver/San Fran/Manhattan status where condo is considered an asset in the near future.

vengie
10-30-2017, 12:20 PM
That market is all about rentals anyway at least for Calgary in the short to mid term. There is no way Calgary will ever hit Vancouver/San Fran/Manhattan status where condo is considered an asset.

Exactly, however the over supply is causing rental prices to crash making owning a rental (condo) a losing game.

We need a big correction here with supply vs demand for real estate to be a viable investment moving forward.

Xtrema
10-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Exactly, however the over supply is causing rental prices to crash making owning a rental (condo) a losing game.

We need a big correction here with supply vs demand for real estate to be a viable investment moving forward.

University redevelopment is actually selling pretty well. Even before they signed any large tenants on the commercial area. I see this Anderson development across South Center should be a good one too. It may save the mall.

But for now, all these apartments and condo is just a life style, don't treat it as asset until we get Amazon HQ2. Rents is so low on these that it's tempting for me to cash out the burb and rent instead.

ercchry
10-30-2017, 12:59 PM
This is what growing up instead of out looks like. Get used to it.

Planning doesn't care if the market can support more condo developments… only that more people live near transit, ride the buss or bikes and don’t build single family homes.

It doesn’t have to... just takes some actual forethought

Looks at the public square at Dundas and Young in TO... like 4 or 5 levels of parking under it... just makes sense... not just shuffling around surface stalls

It’s the parking that is the real issue... the new influx of people shouldn’t add much congestion to roads since the only reason to live in a development like that is for a car free lifestyle... would be nice if this helps expand the car2go zone too

nzwasp
10-31-2017, 09:55 AM
I presume they want to build all this on that huge car park across from south center mall. If so wheres the park n ride supposed to move too.

Shlade
10-31-2017, 09:18 PM
Interesting. I work for Transit and didn't even know this :rofl:

IF this happens its a long ways out more than likely. I think at this point the main focus is the greenline before anything else. Anderson is in the works for a face lift soon anyways but not to this extent.

Xtrema
11-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Interesting. I work for Transit and didn't even know this :rofl:

IF this happens its a long ways out more than likely. I think at this point the main focus is the greenline before anything else. Anderson is in the works for a face lift soon anyways but not to this extent.

I think it's more of a framework looking for investors. Oil price is coming back, may be eventually someone want to invest in Calgary again.

ZenOps
08-16-2018, 06:12 AM
The single most valuable thing they can do (for least amount of cash outlay as well) with the station is add a few ultradurable quick charge USB outlets dropped from the ceiling along the walls, in not high pedestrian traffic areas.

This is also true of the entire C-train system.

https://gizmodo.com/nycs-subway-will-get-wifi-usb-chargers-and-mobile-tic-1751897178

Brent.ff
08-16-2018, 08:25 AM
Really struggled to find somewhere to post that link, eh Zenops?

ercchry
08-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Looks like the land use changes were approved in April... maybe they should fix the shitshow at McLeod and Southland first before adding more congestion to the area

ZenOps
08-16-2018, 09:22 AM
USB charging is surprisingly important nowadays. High end business class uses it regularily on airplanes, even for basic entertainment its a must.

They are also finding it useful in that it reduces hundreds of people carrying larger fire hazard battery packs on said airplanes or trains. Personally I always carry a 20,000 mah battery, in addition to whatever is built into electronic devices that I carry. I might be convinced to downsize to 5,000 mah if USB charging was more accessable.

Ask any millennial, the USB power outlet is often of more use than a standard electrical socket. The only reason they need an electrical socket, is to use it with an AC brick of some sort if they have a non-standard or higher power laptop need.

Price of a commercial grade USB power hub? Probably $200. If popular I can imagine that it may have to be replaced semi-annually.

Tik-Tok
08-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Price of a commercial grade USB power hub? Probably $200. If popular I can imagine that it may have to be replaced semi-annually.

Cost of installation in a government run facility, probably $500g. Cost of replacing USB ports that get vandalized, or just wear out, probably another $50g annually.