PDA

View Full Version : Winter 2018 mods discussion

Shlade
11-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Figure I'd start a convo to see what everybody's up to this winter with their rides...

•What do you drive?
•What mods do you have planned over winter for next season?
•Is your ride parked for winter or is it daily driven?
•Are we all getting old on here that nobody is really doing this anymore? Haha
•Any plans for a new vehicle?

Sentry
11-03-2017, 02:38 PM
E39 M5 with ESS Supercharger kit

Plans are to get a wideband and boost gauge, a CSF radiator to help it run a little cooler in July, and step down a pulley size for a smidge more boost. Hoping for 11.90s or better next year. Will probably also build an aluminum intake tube to replace the flex tube that came with the ESS kit.

Parked for winter of course. I have the skidwagon to skrrt around in til the weather is nice again.

No plans for anything new, happy with the pair of V8 E39s.

mrsingh
11-03-2017, 02:44 PM
•What do you drive? 2002 Lexus IS300 manual
•What mods do you have planned over winter for next season? It is getting a full repaint in black in the spring, will likely do IS350 front brakes over the winter
•Is your ride parked for winter or is it daily driven? Under a cover in the garage
•Are we all getting old on here that nobody is really doing this anymore? Haha The tuner inside never dies :burnout:
•Any plans for a new vehicle? I wouldn't mind an E46 M3 again this time with a VF, but probably not

eglove
11-03-2017, 03:40 PM
•Drive a 2016 Fiesta ST
• New wastegate for more power (hopefully hit over 300 next year) a meth setup, hood vents and possibly widebody.
• It's daily driven
• I'd like a Raptor or a 350 but I don't want the payments..lol

roll_over
11-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Not doing any work to a summer car over the winter but did buy a designated winter beater that I’m trying to get done within the next 2 weeks.

2016 e-class coupe, set of staggered 19s with winters,lowering springs, full tint all around, exhaust, yellow headlight tint and smoked rear light.

Out of town for a few weeks now but the day I get back I have shadow wrapping all the chrome and I’m doing a camo wrap then buying a roof box.

Should all be done by the 20th.

Skrilla
11-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Going to finally start toying with the 5.0L this winter:

- SLP loudmouth exhaust
-BBK O/R pipe
-Short Throw
- 3.73 gears

that's about it for this winter unless I find some nice white Cobra R wheels for a steal

J-hop
11-04-2017, 09:46 AM
+1 on the 5L

Winter project is

- gt40x heads (been sitting on my workbench for a year now)
-TFS stage 1 Cam
- ported gt40 upper lower intake
- finish megasquirt wiring and get running with a base tune
-finish suspension work
- install new wheels and tires (going from 205 all around to 275 all around, should be a huge change
-find a not-so-snowy day to bring in for an alignment
- order on3 turbo kit :)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-04-2017, 09:59 AM
2017 WRX
Ice Dice wheels and tires and probably another set of summer street wheels and tires, plus fresh 245/40/17 RE-71R for Auto X next season. Was debating an accessport and rear sway bar but probably won’t go through with either.
Not daily driven but my only personal vehicle right now.
Im always shopping for a second car (summer car) but nothing I’ve found has given me the warm fuzzies yet. Looking at a C5 Z06, GT500 or another S2000 when the right deal comes along.

mrsingh
11-04-2017, 10:14 AM
+1 on the 5L

Winter project is

-TFS stage 1 Cam
-finish suspension work
- install new wheels and tires (going from 205 all around to 275 all around, should be a huge change

Pics please, the high school kid in me still wants a foxbody. My perfect garage would have me trade in my IS300 for a 5.0 notch, with an E46 M3 complete w/ VF supercharger sitting on a lift above it.

Shlade
11-04-2017, 08:09 PM
+1 on the 5L

Winter project is

-TFS stage 1 Cam
-finish suspension work

Neat! Buddy of mine is running a TT ON3 setup on his 2011 built 5.0. It's right around 800 some hp currently around 9lbs of boost. The ON3 kits are very capable. He's going with a single setup shortly for more power.

For me:

•drive a 2003 SVT lightning
•planned for next season: tint, new tires, paint wheels black, lower front with springs, lower rear adjustable shackles more, traction bars, tint, LED headlights and fog bulbs
•parked for winter? It's currently stored in heated storage for winter
•am I planning on getting a new vehicle? If I decide to ill sell this truck and buy a new raptor.

J-hop
11-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Neat! Buddy of mine is running a TT ON3 setup on his 2011 built 5.0. It's right around 800 some hp currently around 9lbs of boost. The ON3 kits are very capable. He's going with a single setup shortly for more power.

For me:

•drive a 2003 SVT lightning
•planned for next season: tint, new tires, paint wheels black, lower front with springs, lower rear adjustable shackles more, traction bars, tint, LED headlights and fog bulbs
•parked for winter? It's currently stored in heated storage for winter
•am I planning on getting a new vehicle? If I decide to ill sell this truck and buy a new raptor.

Is it black and gold(I think). If so I met that guy at Cam Clark fords show and shine, beautiful car.

The on3 kits are stupid cheap and for the most part the fit is fairly good.

Pics please, the high school kid in me still wants a foxbody. My perfect garage would have me trade in my IS300 for a 5.0 notch, with an E46 M3 complete w/ VF supercharger sitting on a lift above it.

Unfortunately not a Fox :( . Got the car for nothing and just building the motor, definitely not a looker haha

Shlade
11-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Is it black and gold(I think). If so I met that guy at Cam Clark fords show and shine, beautiful car.

The on3 kits are stupid cheap and for the most part the fit is fairly good.

Unfortunately not a Fox :( . Got the car for nothing and just building the motor, definitely not a looker haha

It's black, but has green RTR wheels. Actually walks that one you're talking about haha.

Buster
11-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Now that the cts-v is off warranty I might do the pulley mod thing to get it to 650hp. Anything above that requires real mods and I'm not that interested.

The GTS is under cover and hooked up to its charger for the winter.

infamous
11-05-2017, 07:08 PM
•What do you drive? 1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon H22.
•What mods do you have planned over winter for next season? finish up side skirts, put fog lights in, add stubby antenna, get hood pins for carbon fiber hood, hopefully some new wheels, new steering wheel and shift knob, quiet down the exhaust lol.
•Is your ride parked for winter or is it daily driven? daily driven
•Are we all getting old on here that nobody is really doing this anymore? Haha i'm old but I still love Honda's
•Any plans for a new vehicle? nope. no need for anything brand new. love the fact I can usually pop down to pick n pull and grab most parts.

SKR
11-06-2017, 01:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9nzrm59.jpg

•What do you drive?

1981 GMC.

I want to change out the carb for fuel injection. Every time the weather changes I have to call a priest to get it to behave itself. I don't have high hopes, but maybe I'll get better mileage with fuel injection too. 10mpg would be nice but that might be a bit of a daydream. I might also change the front tires. I wanted 275s, but they got lost and I was running out of warm weather so I just put some 245s on. It's certainly not a racecar but with the 315s in the back it has a bit of a push, so maybe a wider tire in the front will take some of that out. If nothing else it'll look meaner.

I could drive it downhill and then it would have to stay there until spring. It's parked.

•Are we all getting old on here that nobody is really doing this anymore?

I always find these kinds of threads really interesting.

No, I have too many as it is and I should probably finish this one first.

G-ZUS
11-06-2017, 03:15 PM
•What do you drive? '98 BMW 328 convertible
•What mods do you have planned over winter for next season? Nothing really would like more power of it, but not this year
•Is your ride parked for winter or is it daily driven? Parked for winter
•Are we all getting old on here that nobody is really doing this anymore? Most people are
•Any plans for a new vehicle? Nope, happy with the car over - just needs a bit more power

infamous
12-02-2017, 07:55 PM
•What do you drive? 1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon H22.
•What mods do you have planned over winter for next season? finish up side skirts, put fog lights in, add stubby antenna, get hood pins for carbon fiber hood, hopefully some new wheels, new steering wheel and shift knob, quiet down the exhaust lol.
•Is your ride parked for winter or is it daily driven? daily driven
•Are we all getting old on here that nobody is really doing this anymore? Haha i'm old but I still love Honda's
•Any plans for a new vehicle? nope. no need for anything brand new. love the fact I can usually pop down to pick n pull and grab most parts.

so far, lol, ordered the antenna, got the hood pins installed and the hood is currently up being wrapped in xpel ultimate. Did a new power steering pump and a drivers side window regulator this past week, as well as added a button for the horn (nrg quick release steering wheel didn't have contacts for horn). Now gotta not be lazy and go to pick n pull before it gets too cold. without front mudflaps the side of my car doesn't stay nearly as clean as I would like. oh and I also pulled off the carbon fiber vinyl I had on the front grille and plastidipped it black. debating ordering an ebay grille one but not sure.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-02-2017, 08:56 PM
2017 WRX
Ice Dice wheels and tires and probably another set of summer street wheels and tires, plus fresh 245/40/17 RE-71R for Auto X next season. Was debating an accessport and rear sway bar but probably won’t go through with either.
Not daily driven but my only personal vehicle right now.
Im always shopping for a second car (summer car) but nothing I’ve found has given me the warm fuzzies yet. Looking at a C5 Z06, GT500 or another S2000 when the right deal comes along.

Snagged a used Accessport this week. Still nothing on the summer car front which isn’t a big deal.

Sugarphreak
12-03-2017, 12:29 AM

brucebanner
12-03-2017, 06:52 AM
•What do you drive?
1968 ChevyII

I've been toying with the idea of an LS Swap and maybe a turbo set up as well. Haven't found the right motor yet though.

Parked

Maybe

Maybe a new daily but not summer.

JordanLotoski
12-03-2017, 09:49 AM
•What do you drive?
18 E63

Renntech lowering module, 21 inch Brixton CM-10 rims in Gloss Black

Daily

Yes...I am old

Just got this, maybe trade in the Huracan on something soon

JustinL
12-03-2017, 10:09 AM
•What do you drive?
944 Turbo S

Finish installing the 3.0L 16v engine I've been building, get it wired and running on Megasquirt 3.

Parked for a couple years now.

Getting older, but still love cars.

Not for a while, I'm pretty happy with my old cars... just have to get them all back running again.

Redlined_8000
12-03-2017, 01:10 PM
•What do you drive?
2017 VW Golf R

-CTS intake and turbo inlet
-Wagner Intercooler
-CTS downpipe
-Dog bone insert
-APR Stage 2 93oct tune + DSG Tune

-Mostly daily driven in good weather and have the truck for bad days.

-Facebook killed Beyond.

- I plan to make another purchase around 2021. Something that is serious and capable of low 11s at least.

Hallowed_point
12-04-2017, 10:02 AM
•What do you drive?
2014 Accord 6-6
Replacing the worn out factory fuel saver tires with Nitto Motivos. Going
to have minute muffler weld in some Borla Pro Xs mufflers into the factory exhaust.
DD
As was said earlier, Fakebook killed beyond.
Possibly another cheap V8 summer car. Wouldn't mind a 1999-2002 WS6 or a Camaro SS.

Shlade
12-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Damn guess I already replied haha

Sugarphreak
12-04-2017, 11:28 PM

never
12-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Damn guess I already replied haha

You were just so excited to keep the thread going!

JordanLotoski
12-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Took my car to Tunerworks today, Took them 30 seconds to lower it with the new Renntech lowering module

Figured I would get a jump on my 2018 mods:clap:

https://i.imgur.com/UAPtDub.jpg

03ozwhip
12-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Took my car to Tunerworks today, Took them 30 seconds to lower it with the new Renntech lowering module

Ohhhh myyy

bjstare
12-06-2017, 12:58 PM

I remember the day you told me AMGs weren't your style :rofl:

Nice to see you've changed your mind, love the car.

infamous
02-26-2018, 09:47 AM
so far, lol, ordered the antenna, got the hood pins installed and the hood is currently up being wrapped in xpel ultimate. Did a new power steering pump and a drivers side window regulator this past week, as well as added a button for the horn (nrg quick release steering wheel didn't have contacts for horn). Now gotta not be lazy and go to pick n pull before it gets too cold. without front mudflaps the side of my car doesn't stay nearly as clean as I would like. oh and I also pulled off the carbon fiber vinyl I had on the front grille and plastidipped it black. debating ordering an ebay grille one but not sure.

bumping this thread because i'm trying to get my ambition back for my car lol.

a couple of weeks ago the front of my car had an unfortunate meeting with a trailer hitch, so new bumper (which is at the painters now), new support, and new grille. thankfully though didn't hit either glass headlight, crack the rad or damage my ac lines........but i'm still not happy about it......

So my pile of parts is starting to accumulate; waiting on a rockauto order to show up - front pads and rotors, valve cover gaskets (mine needs paint), and a front torque strut mount.
At home already is my carbon hood and pins, stubby antenna, led headlights, shift boot, stickers, and more stuff I honestly can't think of at the moment.

I ended up getting green line hoses to do my high pressure power steering line, it was definitely fubared and they made it way better than it ever was from the factory.

i'm honestly debating picking up a beater for a month or so just to be able to park the wagon and do the leather interior/bumper/fogs/side skirts/caliper powdercoat/brakes/and everything else that needs to be done.........

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Bought a Z06. Can’t wait for summer now. Minor plans for it, different wheels and tires, have the paint and 3M revived, throw it on the dyno to see how it’s running.

Shlade
02-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Bought a Z06. Can’t wait for summer now. Minor plans for it, different wheels and tires, have the paint and 3M revived, throw it on the dyno to see how it’s running.

Pics!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-28-2018, 10:05 AM
https://preview.ibb.co/d1AXHc/D8_BC0_D54_8_FFD_422_F_9_CC9_4_A8_B207_E9812.jpg (https://ibb.co/hcDV3H)

Mostwanted
02-28-2018, 10:23 AM
•What do you drive?

2010 Rav4 & 2006 TSX 6Spd A-spec

Coilovers, SPC Upper Control Arms, Ingalls lower Kit, Injen CAI, RSB Progerssive Sway, Headers, Reflash , Brake upgrades and exterior styling mods (diffusers, splitters)

Parked over winter, daily drive the Rav4

LOL

Might sell the TSX and all the parts, if the Supra Mk5 is up to my expectations.....hopefully full reveal in the Geneva Autoshow March 6:clap:

Sentry
02-28-2018, 10:30 AM
I'm turboing my 540i wagon. Goal is for it to make the same power it does on nitrous, without having to fill a bottle. I WAS going to start hotside fab this weekend but if it snows a shitstorm I'll wait another week because it has good winter tires on it and the little $500 Ranger I picked up has pretty worn tires.

KRyn
02-28-2018, 01:52 PM
I'm turboing my 540i wagon. Goal is for it to make the same power it does on nitrous, without having to fill a bottle. I WAS going to start hotside fab this weekend but if it snows a shitstorm I'll wait another week because it has good winter tires on it and the little $500 Ranger I picked up has pretty worn tires.

I assume you will be building everything from scratch? Make sure to detail everything and post it. Beyond needs more car related content.

Sentry
02-28-2018, 06:44 PM
Yeah it'll go in the thread:
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/403018-Skidwagon

And yes building everything. Going to be rear mount, which I've never tried before.

never
02-28-2018, 08:10 PM
Yeah it'll go in the thread:
https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/403018-Skidwagon

And yes building everything. Going to be rear mount, which I've never tried before.

Why rear mount?

Sentry
02-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Ever looked under the hood of a 540i? :rofl:

never
03-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Ever looked under the hood of a 540i? :rofl:

Ha, not closely enough while thinking about turbo placement. Though that was my guess but your “never tried before” made me wonder if you just wanted to try making something different!

Or you could follow the trend that seems to be coming out with turbos mounted above the hood. :thumbsdow

Sentry
03-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Yeah. Like there's room for the turbo and even a downpipe if I kept it to 2.5" (lame), but no room for a hotside unless you pull the engine and remove a bunch of shit and build it from scratch.

Ekliptix
03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
I'm installing EFI in my 402 big block (72 C10 pick up)

infamous
05-08-2018, 12:11 PM
bumping this thread because i'm trying to get my ambition back for my car lol.

a couple of weeks ago the front of my car had an unfortunate meeting with a trailer hitch, so new bumper (which is at the painters now), new support, and new grille. thankfully though didn't hit either glass headlight, crack the rad or damage my ac lines........but i'm still not happy about it......

So my pile of parts is starting to accumulate; waiting on a rockauto order to show up - front pads and rotors, valve cover gaskets (mine needs paint), and a front torque strut mount.
At home already is my carbon hood and pins, stubby antenna, led headlights, shift boot, stickers, and more stuff I honestly can't think of at the moment.

I ended up getting green line hoses to do my high pressure power steering line, it was definitely fubared and they made it way better than it ever was from the factory.

i'm honestly debating picking up a beater for a month or so just to be able to park the wagon and do the leather interior/bumper/fogs/side skirts/caliper powdercoat/brakes/and everything else that needs to be done.........

I'm definitely curious to see who did what with their rides this winter.

I did my front pads and rotors, did my front end rebuild kit, redid the suspension setup, got my carbon hood and antenna on, led lights in, front lip on, bumper (no fogs yet but have them) and grille, halfway done the leather interior swap, got my side skirts here and installed, and put some new summer shoes on it (still rubbing a bit in the rear though). So far happy with how far she has come!

SKR
05-08-2018, 12:29 PM
I'm definitely curious to see who did what with their rides this winter.

•What do you drive?

1981 GMC.

I want to change out the carb for fuel injection. Every time the weather changes I have to call a priest to get it to behave itself. I don't have high hopes, but maybe I'll get better mileage with fuel injection too. 10mpg would be nice but that might be a bit of a daydream. I might also change the front tires. I wanted 275s, but they got lost and I was running out of warm weather so I just put some 245s on. It's certainly not a racecar but with the 315s in the back it has a bit of a push, so maybe a wider tire in the front will take some of that out. If nothing else it'll look meaner.

I could drive it downhill and then it would have to stay there until spring. It's parked.

I always find these kinds of threads really interesting.

No, I have too many as it is and I should probably finish this one first.

Holley Sniper EFI going on hopefully this week. 19 gallon Boyd Welding rear mount fuel tank to replace the dual 16 gallon saddle tanks. Got some Hedman (I think?) mid length headers to replace the long tubes that hang too low and smash into everything. And Black Widow mufflers to hopefully make lots of racket. I didn't change the tires from 245s to 275s like I wanted to. Probably won't now until they're worn out.

Sentry
05-08-2018, 03:23 PM
I'm turboing my 540i wagon. Goal is for it to make the same power it does on nitrous, without having to fill a bottle.
https://i.imgur.com/ZmiDUsw.jpg

I finished the turbo build last month, dynoed it and on 5psi non intercooled it made the exact power it made on 100 shot of nitrous. 300whp 390ftlbs through the auto. Stock M5 makes 330whp 325ftlbs through a manual.

https://i.imgur.com/hG1NFCg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dVIFzzL.jpg

https://youtu.be/WBCvhNeSR8s

Next up is a water to air intercooler and maybe another pound of boost.

Buster
05-08-2018, 04:01 PM
have you answered anyone why the turbo is in the back?

no room up front?

Sentry
05-08-2018, 04:21 PM
have you answered anyone why the turbo is in the back?
Yes, about 900 times.

infamous
05-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Yes, about 900 times.

wait....the turbo is in the back? why would you put it back there? :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-08-2018, 04:32 PM
:rofl::rofl:

Buster
05-08-2018, 04:44 PM

I'm almost interested enough to look it up.

Naw.

J-hop
05-08-2018, 07:37 PM

He’s got a whole thread discussing it...........

He’s not some jabroni kid that wants ‘sick boost yo’, if you read the thread it’s clear he knows exactly what he’s doing

Sentry
05-08-2018, 09:22 PM
I know nothing. :D
LpJLzC9N6BM

90_Shelby
05-08-2018, 10:35 PM
I changed the front pads and brake fluid in my car, also added a drop in K&N to replace what was probably the original air filter in the car. The wagon feels faster, I swear!

JordanLotoski
05-09-2018, 11:01 AM
My mods are pretty simple

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=410

:clap:

J-hop
05-09-2018, 11:32 AM
+1 on the 5L

Winter project is

-TFS stage 1 Cam
-finish suspension work

Good to see I haven’t deviated from my norm of not getting anything done.

Only thing done on that list is new wheels and tires on haha.

Built a new work bench so technically the heads did move. Garage got a makeover though!

Abeo
05-09-2018, 02:25 PM
I know nothing. :D
LpJLzC9N6BM

Was that a burnout on studded tires?

Sentry
05-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Haven't switched the fronts over yet so they're still winter spec. Rears I switched to summers in a rush to make the dyno day.

SKR
05-17-2018, 10:26 AM
Holley Sniper EFI going on hopefully this week. 19 gallon Boyd Welding rear mount fuel tank to replace the dual 16 gallon saddle tanks.

This is all on hold now. Boyd Welding fucked up and sent me the wrong tank, and since I had it shipped to Sweet Grass the first time that's where they want to send the new tank. They refuse to send it to my house because shipping to Canada is too expensive, and I refuse to spend another minute or another dollar on it. So until I can source another tank with an in-tank pump, I'll be sticking with the carb.

bjstare
05-18-2018, 07:03 PM
He’s not some jabroni kid that wants ‘sick boost yo’, if you read the thread it’s clear he knows exactly what he’s doing

Haha wtf is this supposed to mean. That's literally the exact reason that you turbo a car. There is no other reason.

brucebanner
05-18-2018, 10:52 PM
•What do you drive?
1968 ChevyII

I've been toying with the idea of an LS Swap and maybe a turbo set up as well. Haven't found the right motor yet though.

Definitely didn't get around to doing anything major to the car. Bought a house instead and that are up a lot of the toy money as well. :guns:

SKR
12-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Figure I'd start a convo to see what everybody's up to this winter with their rides...

•What do you drive?

Time to bump this up again?

I made some progress on my 81 GMC this year, but it insists that all its oil belongs on the outside, not the inside and I put it away broken for the winter because I was tired of fucking with it. By spring I want to have the motor and transmission sorted out. It's an old 454 and a TH350 now. I'd like to stay big block I think, for simplicity's sake and because I don't want to join the LS cult if I don't have to. I went to Davenport the other day just to ask them what they thought about building another big block or going to a big inch LS. I have no goals other than 500lb-ft at 2500rpm. Their suggestion was an LSX454, which would cost ~$15,000, plus headers and accessories and everything. They didn't think you could build a big block cheaper than that. So that's one option.

The other option is a 502 from GM. I can have one sitting at the parts counter at the dealership for $8400. The old 454 comes out, and the 502 goes in. It'll be heavier than an LSX, but no heavier than the 454 that's in it now. I could probably get better mileage with an LSX, but you can buy a lot of gas with $7000 and it burns regular where the LSX needs premium. And I think the 502 puts up better horsepower/torque than the LSX at low rpm. I don't think there's a real good case for going to an LS when I'm already set up for a big block.

never
12-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Time to bump this up again?

I made some progress on my 81 GMC this year, but it insists that all its oil belongs on the outside, not the inside and I put it away broken for the winter because I was tired of fucking with it. By spring I want to have the motor and transmission sorted out. It's an old 454 and a TH350 now. I'd like to stay big block I think, for simplicity's sake and because I don't want to join the LS cult if I don't have to. I went to Davenport the other day just to ask them what they thought about building another big block or going to a big inch LS. I have no goals other than 500lb-ft at 2500rpm. Their suggestion was an LSX454, which would cost ~$15,000, plus headers and accessories and everything. They didn't think you could build a big block cheaper than that. So that's one option.

The other option is a 502 from GM. I can have one sitting at the parts counter at the dealership for $8400. The old 454 comes out, and the 502 goes in. It'll be heavier than an LSX, but no heavier than the 454 that's in it now. I could probably get better mileage with an LSX, but you can buy a lot of gas with $7000 and it burns regular where the LSX needs premium. And I think the 502 puts up better horsepower/torque than the LSX at low rpm. I don't think there's a real good case for going to an LS when I'm already set up for a big block.

Would you do the work yourself or pay someone?

infamous
12-11-2018, 04:42 PM
hmmm so for this winter the mod list is as follows;

-finish up stereo
-put rear hatch area interior trim back on
-powdercoat the brake calipers and valve cover
-fix rear fenders so it stops rubbing
-get new lug nuts for summer wheels
-get new rear wiper assembly from honda odyssey
-finish wiring heated seats in
-properly wire in cruise control so i can have my lower cover for the steering column back on

i'm almost done with the car, super happy with it (for a daily driver) and for a cheap honda. but have another car i am looking at right now, so this wagon may end up for sale early in the spring :nut::cry:

Sentry
12-11-2018, 05:12 PM
If you want to boil tires at 2500rpm and be actually fast my recommendation would be LS with a whipple. But if you just want to pull stuff and do burnouts staying big block wouldn't be terrible. Why not just refresh the old 454? Could buy a lot of speed parts for it instead of just 50 extra cubes. Could get some damn nice heads for it and a full rebuild.

My projects update:
Sold turbo BMW wagon about 3 weeks ago.

Mustang is running great on microsquirt now but I never work on cars in November/December. No motivation with stupid winter, and too busy in December with holidays coming. In January I'll be starting the turbo setup. Aiming for 350-400whp and into the whole car under 3 grand. Enough to be quick and fun without going through T5s like candy.

Picked up an 02 Impreza about a month ago, going to do a simple parallel microsquirt install and turbo setup, shooting for 200-240whp and daily drivable in all seasons. And into the whole car for under 2 grand.

Also fortune favoured me and granted me a brand new Borg Warner S475, although I have nothing to put it on yet. Maybe some time in 2020 if I get the need to go actually fast. :D

Hallowed_point
12-11-2018, 06:20 PM
If you want to boil tires at 2500rpm and be actually fast my recommendation would be LS with a whipple. But if you just want to pull stuff and do burnouts staying big block wouldn't be terrible. Why not just refresh the old 454? Could buy a lot of speed parts for it instead of just 50 extra cubes. Could get some damn nice heads for it and a full rebuild.

My projects update:
Sold turbo BMW wagon about 3 weeks ago.

Mustang is running great on microsquirt now but I never work on cars in November/December. No motivation with stupid winter, and too busy in December with holidays coming. In January I'll be starting the turbo setup. Aiming for 350-400whp and into the whole car under 3 grand. Enough to be quick and fun without going through T5s like candy.

Picked up an 02 Impreza about a month ago, going to do a simple parallel microsquirt install and turbo setup, shooting for 200-240whp and daily drivable in all seasons. And into the whole car for under 2 grand.

Also fortune favoured me and granted me a brand new Borg Warner S475, although I have nothing to put it on yet. Maybe some time in 2020 if I get the need to go actually fast. :D

I broke a "world class" T5 on a 95 mustang GT on near stock power about 220 rwhp on a good day (ORX, catback, intake, tune.) Pathetic transmissions

Sentry
12-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Yup! Gonna shift it like this with the turbo
hOmkF98qb34

SKR
12-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Would you do the work yourself or pay someone?

I would send it somewhere to have it done. I don't have the tools or setup to do it myself. I could if I took it out to the farm, but then if I'm going to do that I might as well just have it done in town. I think that would make a stronger case for the BBC swap than if I was going to do the work myself.

I might be able to find a junkyard LS, and a takeoff ZL1 supercharger and have it come in cheaper than a 502, but I think by the time it was installed and running it would be so close the same cost I don't think I'd be any further ahead. It won't be a race car so it'll spend most of its life between 1000 and 4000rpm just toodling around town and up and down the highway, right in the range where BBCs are built to run. Plus there's something to be said for not doing things the same way as everyone else. Everybody goes LS these days.

I thought about just doing heads and an intake on my motor, but after last summer I don't want to try to force old parts and new parts to work together anymore. I want to pull a running motor out and stick a running motor back in.

cars5431
12-11-2018, 10:59 PM
I put at 383 (gm crate) in my truck and then bolted up a Vortech supercharger running fitech fuel injection system and backed up by 4l80e tranny. Makes it fun to drive and probably around 600 ish hp. That’s in a 89 gmc short box reg cab. I would recommend setup

Shlade
12-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Guess we could update the thread title to 2018/2019 now!

I have pretty much everything done to my truck I want right now. Bought a 2018 F150 and did quite a few things to it. Going to likely upgrade to a set of 33’ tires in the spring.

Also bought another Dyna. Has quite a bit done to it but plan on getting a Conley’s T-Sport fairing, and some bags to do some touring with it this upcoming summer.