PDA

View Full Version : Help sealing front door?

Maxx Mazda
11-03-2017, 02:40 PM
With the arrival of the cold weather, we noticed the front door was a little drafty, so I decided to change the weatherstripping. It’s the “fold over” kind that inserts into a little notch in the door frame. The old pieces were definitely worn. My problem is, it almost seems as though the door is “crooked” in the frame. What I mean, is that the side with the hinges seals super tight and perfectly, but the side with the latch, will only seal if the door is pushed further in and locked with the deadbolt. Just closing it with the knob alone isn’t good enough, and even with a brand new weatherstrip, light can be seen around the door. With the door locked tight, there is still a small spot at the top corner that isn’t sealed. It’s almost like the door isn’t pressing hard enough on the seal on that side.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I wasn’t able to find a thicker weatherstrip in this style for the door, and there doesn’t appear to be any adjustment in the hinges that would allow me to straighten the door out. House is a 2007 build (I think) in Coventry Hills. Can I say fuck it to th channel and just use some stick on thick ass foam weatherstripping instead?

New weatherstrip:

Door closed, but not locked:

Door locked, top corner not sealed:

Seth1968
11-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Can I say fuck it to th channel and just use some stick on thick ass foam weatherstripping instead?

That's what I'd do.

I think it comes in different thicknesses as well.

Vdubbin
11-03-2017, 02:54 PM
you may have to adjust the strike plate for the handle to move it towards the center of the door frame so that it holds the door in a little further. Some doors have an adjustable strike plate and others don't.

suntan
11-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Take a kitchen towel and a pair of pliers. You will need to bend the hinges left/right with the pliers (cover the hinge with the towel so you don't scratch it). Do a little at a time. Start with the bottom one.

speedog
11-03-2017, 03:30 PM
After having installed over 1,100 doors with three other guys on a recent job I would say that your door doesn't appear to need any alignment from the pictures you've posted and bending hinges is a last resort thing if adjusting shims behind the hinges doesn't help. New weather stripping is what I would do as there's some fabulous stuff out there.

90_Shelby
11-03-2017, 03:33 PM
you may have to adjust the strike plate for the handle to move it towards the center of the door frame so that it holds the door in a little further. Some doors have an adjustable strike plate and others don't.

This is my guess as well.

Maxx Mazda
11-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Alright guys, thanks for all the help. Adjusted the strikers for both the deadbolt and the latch, and it pulled the door much closer into the weatherstrip. So for now I’d say the door is about 90% sealed. Still have that one top corner though that refuses to seal up properly. (OP pic #3)

Probably just say fuck it it’s good enough

suntan
11-03-2017, 04:45 PM
After having installed over 1,100 doors with three other guys on a recent job I would say that your door doesn't appear to need any alignment from the pictures you've posted and bending hinges is a last resort thing if adjusting shims behind the hinges doesn't help. New weather stripping is what I would do as there's some fabulous stuff out there.

Put shims behind hinges before adjusting hinges.

Christ almighty no wonder there's so much shit quality in Calgary.

Tik-Tok
11-03-2017, 04:49 PM

That's exactly what he said to do?

suntan
11-03-2017, 04:51 PM
That's exactly what he said to do?

I am incredulous at his comment.

The_Penguin
11-03-2017, 05:08 PM
I have the same problem on our front door. Mrs. Penguin wanted the weatherstripping changed, as had paint on it and looked bad.
Changed it, and it doesn't seal well. Got some more from another hardware store (waste of time, Home Depot, Lowes, and Rona all sell the same crap)
Wound up moving the strike so the door closes tighter, but needs more effort to close, which isn't a very popular solution.

speedog
11-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Christ almighty no wonder there's so much shit quality in Calgary.

And your experience with installing doors is?

The_Rural_Juror
11-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Silicone and a layer of duct tape for extra measure ought to do it.