PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to shop for car insurance for a relative who doesn't speak English

nzwasp
11-03-2017, 08:29 PM
My mother in law is getting charged $160 a month for one car from TD meloche monnex (a 2016 Toyota Corolla S), no car accidents for 8 years, always parks in garage, been driving for 20 years.

We want to get her some better insurance - for instance we pay $150 for two cars and one of them is a turbo.

rx7boi
11-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Doesn't Masked_Bandit do auto insurance?

nzwasp
11-03-2017, 08:47 PM
yeah i am through him but im not sure he services edmonton which is where she is - and i dont know if i can organize on her behalf

J-hop
11-04-2017, 09:37 AM
My mother in law is getting charged $160 a month for one car from TD meloche monnex (a 2016 Toyota Corolla S), no car accidents for 8 years, always parks in garage, been driving for 20 years.

We want to get her some better insurance - for instance we pay $150 for two cars and one of them is a turbo.

Yea that seems a bit high.

What do you have on your policy? That’s not $150 for two cars on collision is it?!?

I imagine you could speak on her behalf and get better rates. What driving experience does she have here? I’m guessing TD didn’t credit her for much of her driving abroad?

FYI I’m with TD and I moved one of my cars onto the street to park my project for the winter on fire and theft. According to TD they no longer care where you park

ExtraSlow
11-04-2017, 09:58 AM
https://www.kanetix.ca

dj_rice
11-04-2017, 10:01 AM
yeah i am through him but im not sure he services edmonton which is where she is - and i dont know if i can organize on her behalf

He does as I am with for all my house/auto

ExtraSlow
11-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Masked bandit can do it for her too, I only suggested Kanetix because for someone with little to no English skills maybe a website is less intimidating than a phone call.

bjstare
11-04-2017, 11:27 AM
Why doesn't OP's wife just pretend she's her mom on the phone and get the insurance? Am I missing something? I'm sure she can provide all the details that are required and it saves a bunch of legwork. As long as she's providing accurate details and not misleading anyone, I don't see what the downside of this is.

nzwasp
11-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Yea that seems a bit high.

What do you have on your policy? That’s not $150 for two cars on collision is it?!?

I imagine you could speak on her behalf and get better rates. What driving experience does she have here? I’m guessing TD didn’t credit her for much of her driving abroad?

FYI I’m with TD and I moved one of my cars onto the street to park my project for the winter on fire and theft. According to TD they no longer care where you park
Yes thats $150 for two cars with collision When we were with TD we were paying over $200 for two cars and one was liability only. We were with TD because of the apega discount but Ive since learnt that they are ridiculously expensive regardless.

Buster
11-04-2017, 05:49 PM
How did she pass her driver's test?

ragu
11-04-2017, 06:31 PM
How did she pass her driver's test?

By using her driving skills

RealJimmyJames
11-04-2017, 07:33 PM
A couple of phone calls would have solved this issue faster and with less effort than starting this thread.

G
11-04-2017, 08:01 PM

What does having a turbo make a difference? Oh you mean 911 Turbo?

nzwasp
11-04-2017, 09:40 PM
I always thought having a turbo meant you paid more insurance because it was higher speed there fore higher risk - in NZ people with turbos pay 10 - 20% more insurance than non turbo cars they see it as a higher risk.

And to buster: I presume they have chinese registrys and chinese testing officers in Edmonton. I ran the kanetix thing - interesting thing was TD insurance is listed as an option and its $400 cheaper than the quote they gave me when I changed the name from the FIL to my MIL

ExtraSlow
11-04-2017, 09:52 PM
NZ is so cute and weird.

Masked Bandit
11-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Yes and yes. We have clients all over Alberta and although we don't LIKE to build a policy via a third party sometimes it's just a fact of life and we make it work.