PDA

View Full Version : Smart Thermostat with Humidity Control

Kjonus
11-10-2017, 08:15 PM
With all these rebate programs which thermostat is everyone getting that has a humidity control. From all the research there aren't many or next to no options.

SJW
11-11-2017, 11:12 PM
My ecobee does. Home Depot sells them.

rage2
11-12-2017, 07:16 AM
I think you need to do better research haha.

Kjonus
11-12-2017, 01:44 PM
I think you need to do better research haha.

I guess so hey

swak
11-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Nest

?????
11-12-2017, 08:08 PM
With all these rebate programs which thermostat is everyone getting that has a humidity control. From all the research there aren't many or next to no options.

Better research for sure. I don't think there are "all these" rebate programs. Just the one I know of.

Here is a start to narrow down your list of thermostats applicable for rebates.

https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/online-rebates/smart-thermostats/

rage2
11-12-2017, 08:45 PM
The top 3 most popular options that qualify for rebate on that list, Honeywell T6 is the only one that doesn’t support a humidifier. Nest and Ecobee supports it. So ya, not sure where you’re getting next to no options.

ipeefreely
11-24-2017, 02:33 PM
I was thinking of getting the Ecobee 3 to control my desert spring humidifier. It has a manual control that I have to constantly mess with depending on the outside temp.

Does the Ecobee do a really good job of maintaining the correct humidity? Home Depot has it for $219 (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.ecobee3---smart-thermostat-with-room-sensors.1000842103.html) right now.

I checked and I don't have a C wire and I'm guessing there's a wire to the humidifier I'd have to run as well.

I was going to do some more reading but I'm mostly wonder if it's worth all the effort... :dunno:

suntan
11-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Yes, it works great. It's worth it to prevent window trim damage.

94CoRd
11-24-2017, 03:22 PM
I was thinking of getting the Ecobee 3 to control my desert spring humidifier. It has a manual control that I have to constantly mess with depending on the outside temp.

Does the Ecobee do a really good job of maintaining the correct humidity? Home Depot has it for $219 (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.ecobee3---smart-thermostat-with-room-sensors.1000842103.html) right now.

I checked and I don't have a C wire and I'm guessing there's a wire to the humidifier I'd have to run as well.

I was going to do some more reading but I'm mostly wonder if it's worth all the effort... :dunno:

I opted to add a c-wire, was pretty easy as the basement is undeveloped. My humidifier was already being controlled by my furnace (or old thermostat - HVAC is an ongoing learning experience). But the ecobee3 does a great job controlling the humidity - or at least, its always fairly constant in my house, usually between 34-36%.

ipeefreely
11-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Yes, it works great. It's worth it to prevent window trim damage.

I opted to add a c-wire, was pretty easy as the basement is undeveloped. My humidifier was already being controlled by my furnace (or old thermostat - HVAC is an ongoing learning experience). But the ecobee3 does a great job controlling the humidity - or at least, its always fairly constant in my house, usually between 34-36%.

Cool! Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I'll order one then figure it all out when it arrives! :rofl:

Oh, one more question... did you set it to Evaporate or Steam? ecobee3-configuration-tips-for-humidifiers (http://www.smarthomehub.net/forums/discussion/150/ecobee3-configuration-tips-for-humidifiers)

I have cold water going to the humidifier so it won't be as effective but it should still help I think... the house air is still warm. :dunno:

suntan
11-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Just make sure you use fire-rated wire. They sell a single fire-rated wire at Home Depot (or least they did when I looked years ago).

Set it to evaporate, unless you have a steam humidifier.

killramos
11-24-2017, 08:12 PM
After reading all the threads on this i decided to have a go at hooking my home humidifier up to Nest ( 2nd Gen ). You know the whole thing wouldn't be so damn complicated if Nest wouldn't be so pigheaded about humidifier installs being Pro only...

I have a generalaire 900 hooked up to the bundled generalaire MXH3 humidistat ( which i noticed has a built in relay that could easily be repurposed if someone has one of these and wants to do an ecobee or nest install).

Anyways after a couple hours of forum surfing i realized all that really needed to happen is Common from the furnace hooked up to one end of the solenoid ( which was already done) and the other side of the solenoid wired to * on the Nest. Set it to humidify only when heating since thats what the relay accomplished previously in pro settings and done. No relay needed though this is a fairly modern humidifier and furnace.

Spent most of the time trying to decipher the terrible wiring my original HVAC installer did...

Been having some lingering colds etc. that last few weeks between me and the wife so hopefully this helps! Also would be nice not to lose a gallon a day of water out of my fish tank...

thinmyster
11-24-2017, 08:19 PM
What do you guys have your humidity set at for the winter?

lilmira
11-24-2017, 08:31 PM
The air is so dry in our climate that I found my humidifier is just trying to keep up. It’s practically on the entire time from fall to spring.

killramos
11-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Even with my humidifier disabled my house has always been north of 30%, going to try to hold at 40 with the nest and see how that feels.

thinmyster
11-25-2017, 12:50 AM
My humidifier is dry as a bone and hasn't worked since we moved in and I consistently see +30% all year round and get major window sweat.

cycosis
11-25-2017, 02:37 PM
I have two of the fancy lyric units and an HRV. Humidity set at 30%. House is vented for 20 minutes each hour. No build up condensation on windows.