PDA

View Full Version : Costco Tonno cover?

J-hop
11-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Anyone have one of the Tonno brand hard trifolding tonneau covers?

I’m wondering if they’re any good? The price is very right. From what I’ve see from the $1000+ dollar dealer sourced tonneau covers the quality isn’t great on the expensive ones so I find it hard to justify dropping that kind of money. My options are used or cheaper options like this.

dirtsniffer
11-12-2017, 10:54 AM
The quality of my undercover flex is great. 2 years and 2 winters, one hail claim and the cover is still like new.
The new ones allow the tailgate to be closed without lifting the cover too.
Can't help you with your question though.

r3ccOs
11-12-2017, 12:24 PM
The quality of my undercover flex is great. 2 years and 2 winters, one hail claim and the cover is still like new.
The new ones allow the tailgate to be closed without lifting the cover too.
Can't help you with your question though.

undercover, bakflip are decent quality though I do believe hail damage can occur regardless unless you buy like a Diamondback

honestly, I dont' think any hard cover is completely watertight, mine ain't... whereas the old vinyl tuxedo ones or ford ones were... but its nice not having the vinyl flapping around or risk having people cut it with a knife.

I know someone with a diamondback on his half ton, and he puts a quad on the back (while towing a trailer :P)

ExtraSlow
11-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Sort if off topic but I previously have had a few fibreglass toppers and the current truck has the rollup vinyl kind and while I expected to hate it its been great for my use. I somewhat often carry larger things and it's handy to have a small roll at the front of the bed and not some huge fibreglass thing for the folding kind.

J-hop
11-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Yea although ones like the undercover are great I’m sure, from what I’ve seen the materials that go into them don’t appear to be $1000 retail kind of material.

That’s why I’m interested to see what the Tonno brand tonneau covers are like. They have a pretty good rating on amazon (4.3 after 60+ reviews). I feel like if I can pay 1/3 the price for even 70% of the quality I’m winning :)

rizfarmer
11-12-2017, 04:33 PM
All depends if you want a flush mounting cover that can accommodate opening/closing tailgate. If you just want bang for the buck and are ok with the cover resting a few inches on top of the bed then there are some decent made in the US options such as Gator. Wait for Black Friday.

J-hop
11-12-2017, 05:48 PM
All depends if you want a flush mounting cover that can accommodate opening/closing tailgate. If you just want bang for the buck and are ok with the cover resting a few inches on top of the bed then there are some decent made in the US options such as Gator. Wait for Black Friday.

Yea the Tonno brand covers allow opening and closing of the tailgate with it unfolded and locked into place, no need to lift the last panel. Which it sounds like some people spend 1000$ only to not be able to open and close their tailgate with ease.

Not concerned about flush mount, I didn’t even know that was a thing too be honest!

SOAB
11-13-2017, 11:32 AM
my Bakflip MX4 is awesome. fit is great and is about as waterproof as a tonneau cover can get.

i love that i can open and close my tailgate without having to open the cover and it fits fairly flush to the side rails so it doesn't stick up for a cleaner look.

J-hop
11-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Ok so back to my original question haha

Does anyone have experience with Tonno brand tonneau covers

redline
11-16-2017, 06:57 AM
my Bakflip MX4 is awesome. fit is great and is about as waterproof as a tonneau cover can get.

i love that i can open and close my tailgate without having to open the cover and it fits fairly flush to the side rails so it doesn't stick up for a cleaner look.

I love my mx4 as well. I think it’s great value.

J-hop
11-16-2017, 07:26 AM
I love my mx4 as well. I think it’s great value.

Doesn’t look like what I want. I’m looking for pure utility I don’t care about looks. I also want the option to leave the back section unlatched so I can open it without opening the tailgate to access my toolbox that currently sits at the back of the box. Definitely can’t do that with the mx4. Would be super irritating when I’m towing to have to drop the tailgate to open the cover.

But again, sorry to sound snarky but I’m not looking for comments on peoples’ favourite tonneau cover. Looking for comments on the quality/durability of a specific one:

ok so back to my original question haha

does anyone have experience with tonno brand tonneau covers
b

dr_jared88
11-16-2017, 08:22 AM
Are you talking about the TonnoPro?

I had this one on my last truck:
https://www.costco.ca/Tonno-Fold-Premium-Soft-Tri-fold-Tonneau-Cover-.product.100016034.html

I really liked it. I have a more expensive one on my new truck and hate how hard it is to use compared to the TonnoPro. The only thing about the TonnoPro is that it's a bit uglier since it sits on your box however I also never had any leaking because of this.

BTW they are going $70 off Nov 27th thru Dec 10th.

J-hop
11-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Are you talking about the TonnoPro?

I had this one on my last truck:
https://www.costco.ca/Tonno-Fold-Premium-Soft-Tri-fold-Tonneau-Cover-.product.100016034.html

I really liked it. I have a more expensive one on my new truck and hate how hard it is to use compared to the TonnoPro. The only thing about the TonnoPro is that it's a bit uglier since it sits on your box however I also never had any leaking because of this.

BTW they are going $70 off Nov 27th thru Dec 10th.

Thank you, finally someone addressed my question haha!

Yes TonnoPro. Sounds like they are exactly what I want.

I actually want something that sits on top as my toolbox doesn’t have much clearance to the top of the bed so anything that sits below isn’t going to work. Plus I don’t want to lose any space.

Not at all concerned with looks. Bought my truck for utility not looks!

dr_jared88
11-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Thank you, finally someone addressed my question haha!

Yes TonnoPro. Sounds like they are exactly what I want.

I actually want something that sits on top as my toolbox doesn’t have much clearance to the top of the bed so anything that sits below isn’t going to work. Plus I don’t want to lose any space.

Not at all concerned with looks. Bought my truck for utility not looks!

I'm not sure what kind of tool box you have but if its mounted in the box against the cab you might have issues. The last of the tri-fold doesn't flip up plus you would need open access to tighten the clip on the box edge. If you are just talking about a regular tool box you carry around then this shouldn't be an issue.

J-hop
11-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Yea it’s just a large tool box on wheels and it sits at the back of the box so the TonnoPro brand will work perfect.

s_havinga
11-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Plus it's Costco so if it doesn't do what you want it to, they'll probably take it back without question.

SOAB
11-16-2017, 02:38 PM
looks like just a soft top. if that's all you want, i would just search on kijiji and find a cheap soft tonneau cover on there. they don't do anything but keep curious eyes away from your stuff.

J-hop
11-16-2017, 03:49 PM
looks like just a soft top. if that's all you want, i would just search on kijiji and find a cheap soft tonneau cover on there. they don't do anything but keep curious eyes away from your stuff.

No I’m looking at the trifold hard top:

https://www.costco.ca/Tonno-Pro-Hard-Fold-Premium-Aluminium-and-Vinyl-Hard-Tri-fold-Tonneau-Cover--.product.100016098.html

SOAB
11-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Where are you looking? It’s a tri-fold hard top that I’m looking at

hmm? the one that showed up on jareds link said soft folding?

J-hop
11-16-2017, 03:52 PM
hmm? the one that showed up on jareds link said soft folding?

Yea sorry edited. I didn’t realize he posted the soft top. I only want a hard top