PDA

View Full Version : Honeywell Lyric T5

blownz
10-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Free thanks to the Energy Efficiency Program. On sale @ Lowes for $99. PM @ HD for $89+tax. Program sends you a $100 rebate. Rebate also applies to the Nests and Ecobee 3's as well.

https://multimedia.bbycastatic.ca/multimedia/products/500x500/104/10482/10482040.jpg

Has anyone have 2 or more of these (or a different brand/model) hooked up in your house? I am wondering how the phone apps work if you have more than one? I want one in my garage as well, but I wonder how that work with the app.

jltabot
10-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Has anyone have 2 or more of these (or a different brand/model) hooked up in your house? I am wondering how the phone apps work if you have more than one? I want one in my garage as well, but I wonder how that work with the app.

You can just add another device in the app and rename it something else like "Lyric - Garage" or something.

rx7boi
11-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Right on. Glad several people were able to jump in on the rebate deal!

I don't have a C wire since my current thermostat is battery operated. How did you guys handle yours?

I'm thinking of disconnecting my green/fan and using it as a C but I don't really want to lose any fan functionality.

I haven't checked my furnace or the wall yet so I'll do that and confirm if I have to run a C wire or not.

eblend
11-08-2017, 10:12 AM

I don't have a C wire since my current thermostat is battery operated. How did you guys handle yours?

I'm thinking of disconnecting my green/fan and using it as a C but I don't really want to lose any fan functionality.

I haven't checked my furnace or the wall yet so I'll do that and confirm if I have to run a C wire or not.

You sure you don't have a wire...and it isn't just hidden in the wall? I bought the Lyric as well and when I first went to my parents house I saw it was battery operated model that they had, and only 3 wires, since I was there with the wife I just gave up and was going to return it, but then I realized that sometimes the extra wires are wrapped around the main cable and are inside the wall, so I revisited, and this time, instead of taking the thermostat off, I went downstairs to the furnace to see where that cable ends. Sure enough, the cable had extra wires that are disconnected and wrapped around the base. I quickly unwrapped it on both ends, connected it to C on the thermostat and on the furnace, and the Lyric has been there ever since, doing a wonderful job.

This is an example of how mine was wrapped, can see at the bottom two extra wires, brown and purple

https://i.stack.imgur.com/D6BCm.jpg

rx7boi
11-08-2017, 10:17 AM
You sure you don't have a wire...and it isn't just hidden in the wall? I bought the Lyric as well and when I first went to my parents house I saw it was battery operated model that they had, and only 3 wires, since I was there with the wife I just gave up and was going to return it, but then I realized that sometimes the extra wires are wrapped around the main cable and are inside the wall, so I revisited, and this time, instead of taking the thermostat off, I went downstairs to the furnace to see where that cable ends. Sure enough, the cable had extra wires that are disconnected and wrapped around the base. I quickly unwrapped it on both ends, connected it to C on the thermostat and on the furnace, and the Lyric has been there ever since, doing a wonderful job.

This is an example of how mine was wrapped, can see at the bottom two extra wires, brown and purple

For sure, like I said I have to check inside the wall and furnace downstairs first to confirm if I have one or not.

I just meant that I didn't see a C-wire when I popped the current thermostat off.

I haven't really gotten around to starting the install so that'll be the first thing I check later tonight haha.

Was just wondering if anyone had run into problems with it yet but it seems like you guys installed them without any issues!

flipstah
11-08-2017, 12:09 PM

My parents had the same setup and we just ran a red wire from the furnace up to the thermostat. We tried everything to avoid it, but you can't haha. We tried jumping the R wire into the C slot in the thermostat but no dice.

phreezee
11-10-2017, 08:54 AM
The Lyric T5 is back on sale at Best Buy if any of you guys who missed out still want it:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/honeywell-honeywell-lyric-t5-wi-fi-smart-thermostat-rcht8610wf2014-w/10482040.aspx

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2017, 09:37 AM
The Lyric T5 is back on sale at Best Buy if any of you guys who missed out still want it:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/honeywell-honeywell-lyric-t5-wi-fi-smart-thermostat-rcht8610wf2014-w/10482040.aspx

Thanks - so do you just buy that and then apply for the credit? Is it a pretty smooth process?

Also if I already have a programmable thermostat, should it just be plug & play to switch?

phreezee
11-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Thanks - so do you just buy that and then apply for the credit? Is it a pretty smooth process?

Also if I already have a programmable thermostat, should it just be plug & play to switch?

Yeah all the info is here: https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/online-rebates/smart-thermostats/

If you bought one recently, have the receipt and the model is listed you can apply for the rebate.

Mitsu3000gt
11-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Yeah all the info is here: https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/online-rebates/smart-thermostats/

If you bought one recently, have the receipt and the model is listed you can apply for the rebate.

Cool, thanks. Gives me a little project for the weekend :thumbsup:

adam c
11-10-2017, 06:53 PM
Ordered the honeywell from bestbuy, last time it was on sale I ran around to multiple stores trying to find it, complete waste of time

CRXguy
11-10-2017, 09:28 PM

Like eblend described, check for extra wires in the furnace. Take a picture of the connected wires upstairs then compare it to the furnace. I was about to return it when I couldn't pull extra slack behind the wall upstairs. My wife pointed out that one wire(blue) was connected to old t-stat but it was wrapped around the base in the furnace. Matched it all up and it was good to go. Looks confusing but realize how it easy it is after you finish. :rofl:

taemo
11-10-2017, 11:44 PM

thanks for the link, decided to finally order one and hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

adam c
11-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Received my T5 yesterday and hooked it up, had to run a C wire, had more issues getting the device setup with the app than anything else

taemo
11-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Received my T5 yesterday and hooked it up, had to run a C wire, had more issues getting the device setup with the app than anything else

yeah, I had a tough time setting up my T5 using my Iphone.
It finds the network but then when Iphone opens the HomeKit, nothing happens.
Had to use a different phone to configure it.

Also this morning our Shaw internet was down from 4am-7am, so geofencing is messed up now.
Despite wife and I being at work, heating keeps on running, so I set it to schedule mode and try to have geofencing working again tonight.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81wZwgIuykL._UX385_.jpg
Bought this on amazon so that I can finally use my other watch

dj_rice
11-15-2017, 11:48 AM
yeah, I had a tough time setting up my T5 using my Iphone.
It finds the network but then when Iphone opens the HomeKit, nothing happens.
Had to use a different phone to configure it.

Also this morning our Shaw internet was down from 4am-7am, so geofencing is messed up now.
Despite wife and I being at work, heating keeps on running, so I set it to schedule mode and try to have geofencing working again tonight.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81wZwgIuykL._UX385_.jpg
Bought this on amazon so that I can finally use my other watch

Some users mentioned this issue and called Honeywell and they did a software update on the unit and it seems to have resolved it. So try that route

sabad66
11-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Just ordered a Lyric T5 as well. Thanks for the tip! Can't say no to a free wifi thermostat :)

Mitsu3000gt
11-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Same here - I just have 2 wires, I am either going to have to do some modifications or just return it. There is a C wire kit you can buy but it's like $40.

bjstare
11-15-2017, 10:04 PM
I also just ordered the T5. Thanks /b/eyond!

jltabot
11-17-2017, 09:06 AM
Some users mentioned this issue and called Honeywell and they did a software update on the unit and it seems to have resolved it. So try that route

Don't need to call Honeywell anymore, as long as your thermostat is connected to the network, the firmware update should come through automatically over the next 24-48 hours.

adam c
11-19-2017, 01:51 PM
My issues with the T5 is it would show connected on the unit itself but then nothing would happen, I ended up doing a manual setup on the device then going through the menu and doing a reset, after that I tried a couple more times and finally it worked with the app

Regarding those that don't have the wires, check and see if there are some inside your wall that aren't pulled through, for me I lucked out as there was 1 still not hooked up so I pulled it through then connected it to the appropriate screw on the furnace control board

speedog
11-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Since there seems to be a number
of beyond member that are picking up and installing Lyric Wi-Fi thermostats, I figured a separate thread might be warranted.

I've installed the T5 and while I think it's working fine, I've e had to adjust temperatures up about 1C. My a d sort adopted daughter still think the house is too cold and also think it takes too long too heat up from the night setting.

Another thing I've noticed is that geofence event alerts just don't seem to happen all that often even when all three if us our outside of our set geofences. I think it might possibly be my wife's geofence that needs to be smaller.

Anyhow, what has been any else's experience with their Lyric?

taemo
11-20-2017, 02:49 PM
this will probably get merged to the already existing Lyric T5 thread

but the only issue that I have experience so far is when our Shaw internet was down from 4am-7am and when we both left for work.
When internet came back online, geofence should have detected that both of us were away for work but didn't.
I even tried reverting to time schedule but temperature was still on hold to 20C, when it should have gone down to 18C.

so my question/complaint is what's the backup schedule when geofencing goes down?
you can only select geofence, time schedule or turn off schedule.

also, does adaptive recovery (for temperature modes) works with geofencing or only when set to time schedule?

sabad66
11-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Got mine in the mail yesterday (surprised they delivered on Sunday).

Unfortunately my townhouse only has two wires going to the thermostat (built in 79) so i'm going to have to run a new wire. Anyone know any companies that can do this on the cheap? I do have a relatively easy path so i could do it myself, but would rather avoid buying the parts if i don't have to.

adam c
11-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Any electrician can do it, you would have to call around and ask. the only tools you may really need, which you could rent, is a wire snake/fish tape, what ever you want to call it and some new wire of a specific gauge
https://www.homedepot.com/c/running_electrical_wire_through_walls_HT_PG_EL

You would want to ensure that your furnace has the appropriate connectors on it though, if not then you would need to purchase a power kit as well

speedog
11-20-2017, 03:42 PM
I did a search and didn't notice the other thread, mods are more than welcome to move this to the T5 thread as I don't think there's many out there with other Lyric thermostats.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Got mine in the mail yesterday (surprised they delivered on Sunday).

Unfortunately my townhouse only has two wires going to the thermostat (built in 79) so i'm going to have to run a new wire. Anyone know any companies that can do this on the cheap? I do have a relatively easy path so i could do it myself, but would rather avoid buying the parts if i don't have to.

You can just buy one of these if you only have 2 wires - worked flawlessly for my parents and there is nothing external or unsightly to look at:

https://www.amazon.ca/FAST-STAT-Common-Thermostat-Extender-Connection/dp/B01N6ERM04

Shouldn't have to hire an electrician or anything, it's super easy.

sabad66
11-20-2017, 04:32 PM
You can just buy one of these if you only have 2 wires - worked flawlessly for my parents and there is nothing external or unsightly to look at:

https://www.amazon.ca/FAST-STAT-Common-Thermostat-Extender-Connection/dp/B01N6ERM04

Interesting... this multiplexer thing looks like it could work. Only thing is that my existing wires are connected to W and B and not W and R like the example. Will this work with a 'B' instead of 'R'?

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Interesting... this multiplexer thing looks like it could work. Only thing is that my existing wires are connected to W and B and not W and R like the example. Will this work with a 'B' instead of 'R'?

I believe that is the exact situation, my parents just had the 2-wire black/white combo (1989 build), and this little device has their Lyric T5 working perfectly. They do not have A/C, not sure if that matters.

sabad66
11-20-2017, 05:14 PM
I just checked the furnace end, and actually the two wires are connected to W1 and R, so their example does show my situation perfectly. Just ordered it. Thanks Mitsu!

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2017, 05:22 PM
I just checked the furnace end, and actually the two wires are connected to W1 and R, so their example does show my situation perfectly. Just ordered it. Thanks Mitsu!

Anytime! Hope it works out. If not, Amazon has hassle free returns.

jaylo
11-21-2017, 10:29 AM
For the Two wire system, can you connect or tap to any of the two 24v wires from the transformer (blue or red wire) seen in Option 3: https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/227874667-Heat-only-2-wire-boiler-furnace-installations

?

sabad66
11-21-2017, 10:36 AM
For the Two wire system, can you connect or tap to any of the two 24v wires from the transformer (blue or red wire) seen in Option 3: https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/227874667-Heat-only-2-wire-boiler-furnace-installations

?

yes that is what i am planning on doing (except i don't need a transformer - my furnace is fairly new and has a connector on the motherboard for 24V C wire).

Either way it needs this fast-stat common maker device to be able to "multiplex" the two existing R and W wires into one, leaving the other one for Common 24V

blownz
11-21-2017, 02:22 PM

Where did you hide the sender? I was going to buy the Lyric T5 for my garage, but I only have the two wires. I think that sender would like ugly mounted on the wall next to the thermostat and garage door opener. Or is it small enough to fit "inside" the T5?

Kloubek
11-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Ordered the honeywell from bestbuy, last time it was on sale I ran around to multiple stores trying to find it, complete waste of time

Likewise. Ended up buying it online.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Where did you hide the sender? I was going to buy the Lyric T5 for my garage, but I only have the two wires. I think that sender would like ugly mounted on the wall next to the thermostat and garage door opener. Or is it small enough to fit "inside" the T5?

You shove it into the wall where the wires come out, it's small and light so it can just kind of dangle there. It gets warm though so it shouldn't be packed into any insulation or anything. Nothing is external except the thermostat itself when you're done. It's 1.75" X 0.75" so about the size of a pack of Tic Tacs.

blownz
11-22-2017, 03:44 PM
You shove it into the wall where the wires come out, it's small and light so it can just kind of dangle there. It gets warm though so it shouldn't be packed into any insulation or anything. Nothing is external except the thermostat itself when you're done. It's 1.75" X 0.75" so about the size of a pack of Tic Tacs.

I see... My thermostat in my garage is mounted to drywall that has OSB behind it and insulation and vapor barrier behind that so no easy way to do it. I think I should just build a new house instead. lol

sabad66
11-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Got the common maker in the mail yesterday and was able to get it installed. Took about 1.5 hours, mostly because I had to enlarge the hole in the drywal to slide the receiver in behind the thermostat. It would have been easy if it was just drywall, but for some reason there was plywood behind it.

Also, it didn’t turn on at first. My old thermostat had the R from the furnace connected to B on the thermostat, so I connected it the same way. But after it didn’t turn on when I flipped the breaker, I moved the B wire over to R on the Lyric and it fired up right away. Took about 5 mins to get it configured with iOS app. Didn’t seem to have the firmware issues you guys mentioned.

Overall a nice little unit considering it only cost me $50 including the common wire maker (after rebate)

96integra
11-24-2017, 10:02 AM
Anyone else having issues with Geofence? It worked fine the first week or so but after that, I noticed the temp on the app and the thermostat do not match. Sometimes when I'm away it would show Home. Switched back to time based schedule.

taemo
11-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Anyone else having issues with Geofence? It worked fine the first week or so but after that, I noticed the temp on the app and the thermostat do not match. Sometimes when I'm away it would show Home. Switched back to time based schedule.

did you accidentally turn the app off on your phone?
happened to us once when wife and I inadvertently turned the app off on both our phones.
got home and thermostat was still thinking we were both away.

96integra
11-24-2017, 11:20 AM
did you accidentally turn the app off on your phone?
happened to us once when wife and I inadvertently turned the app off on both our phones.
got home and thermostat was still thinking we were both away.

Are you saying the app has to always be open? I thought it would just run in the background.

It does work sometimes but seems glitchy. I'm wondering if multiple users confuse it.

taemo
11-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Are you saying the app has to always be open? I thought it would just run in the background.

It does work sometimes but seems glitchy. I'm wondering if multiple users confuse it.

By open I mean running in the background.
If you're using an iphone, also make sure that Background App Refresh is turned on.
Also you created an individual user per device right?

adam c
11-24-2017, 12:00 PM
No issues for me, even with the app closed, just need to ensure location services are on

ipeefreely
11-24-2017, 02:20 PM
Visions have them for $75 till the 26th for anyone who still wants one.

Honeywell Lyric T5 Smart Thermostat - Special Offer (https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=0&productId=33823&sku=RCHT8610WF2014W)

taemo
11-27-2017, 08:59 AM
Geofencing stopped working again this morning for us :thumbsdow
Location services on both phones is running and even tried restarting the app, but both phones are still indicating that we are at home.
It worked fine yesterday with both of us leaving the house a couple of times and geofencing working properly.

Might just leave it on scheduled mode from now on.

adam c
11-27-2017, 11:38 AM
I had that happen to me yesterday, I was at chinook but the app was reporting I was home, I disabled and enabled the geofence from within the app and it worked properly

taemo
11-27-2017, 12:07 PM
I had that happen to me yesterday, I was at chinook but the app was reporting I was home, I disabled and enabled the geofence from within the app and it worked properly

You went Lyric > Geofence > Geofence this Location right?
Are you also the only one configured for geofencing or your wife as well?

I just tried turning it off then on, still saying that I'm home.

adam c
11-27-2017, 12:47 PM
You went Lyric > Geofence > Geofence this Location right?
Are you also the only one configured for geofencing or your wife as well?

I just tried turning it off then on, still saying that I'm home.

Yep that’s what I did, my wife has geofencing on her phone as well

adam c
11-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Well count me in with more lyric issues, today it didn’t recognize me leaving and I didn’t notice until I didn’t get notified my wife was home

speedog
11-30-2017, 07:50 PM
I can't win, my wife is convinced the house is colder with the T5 even though I have thermometers placed around the house that show otherwise.

adam c
11-30-2017, 08:33 PM
I can't win, my wife is convinced the house is colder with the T5 even though I have thermometers placed around the house that show otherwise.

Haha my wife and daughter have been saying that too, guess that’s what happens when you don’t keep the thermostat at a constant temperature

bjstare
12-04-2017, 12:59 PM
FWIW when I installed my T5 on the weekend, my previous thermostat was reading 20.5*C and my T5 was reading 22*C at exactly the same time, exact same location. That would explain the house feeling colder if it's calibrated a little bit differently than whatever you replaced with it.

I had a heck of a time getting this thing to connect to my wireless network. Multiple resets, manual configuration, etc, and eventually it just worked. Overall, not super impressed with it, and doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that the geofencing appears to suck balls... but hey, it was free. If I only run schedule, at least its more aesthetically pleasing than my old t-stat. haha

speedog
12-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Upping my settings 1.5C seemed to have resolved griping in our household as well. Interesting.

As far as setup and connecting to our wifi, completely painless.

After doing some reading about the geofence and playing around with settings, things seem to be more favourable for others in our home. One thing I learned is that everyone uses the same geofence so if one person changes it, the geofence is changed for all. Thus I enlarged the size of our geofence and increased the away temperature as well because where I had it before just had the house cooling down too much and then it would take too long to warm up versus the time it would take someone to cross the geofence boundary and arrive home.

The night settings, no big deal as it works as well as our old programmable thermostat. As for the geofence, one should change it while at home - doing it elsewhere means your geofence will be centered on that location. I haven't bothered to reread the Lyric T5 instructions to see if this is mentioned there as well as there also being only one geofence for all setup users but knowing these two things and adjusting to reflect that seems to have made it a much more likeable device in our home, like invisible and that is good. Just not sure if the savings will be there but at no cost to me besides GST, it can't hurt to see what will happen over the long run.

adam c
12-04-2017, 10:10 PM
I had to switch to manual override today as when I opened the app it couldn't connect to the server and geofence again stopped working

FWIW when I installed my T5 on the weekend, my previous thermostat was reading 20.5*C and my T5 was reading 22*C at exactly the same time, exact same location. That would explain the house feeling colder if it's calibrated a little bit differently than whatever you replaced with it.

I had a heck of a time getting this thing to connect to my wireless network. Multiple resets, manual configuration, etc, and eventually it just worked. Overall, not super impressed with it, and doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that the geofencing appears to suck balls... but hey, it was free. If I only run schedule, at least its more aesthetically pleasing than my old t-stat. haha

Maybe I'll pull my old one out and check the temperature differences, I'm fine with the house being cooler, when my wife adjusts the temperature I find it too hot now
I had the exact same issues with the original connectivity, then it just worked

snip.

Did you invite other people to have their own account so not everyone shares the same geofence?

When I had to reset mine, I was at Chinook and it still defaulted to my house instead of where I was at, not sure if it's smart enough based on geolocation or it was dumb

jaeden
12-04-2017, 11:18 PM

This is almost exactly my experience too. My old, battery powered thermostat is still reading about 1.5 C lower than the Lyric. Also struggled with the WiFi connection but eventually it just worked. I tried it several times with my android phone and ipad with repeated failure before it just connected.

Have not tried Geofencing. Someone is almost always home at my place so it doesn't make a difference.

speedog
12-04-2017, 11:40 PM
Did you invite other people to have their own account so not everyone shares the same geofence?

When I had to reset mine, I was at Chinook and it still defaulted to my house instead of where I was at, not sure if it's smart enough based on geolocation or it was dumb

The other two people set up on our T5,were invited by me and have their own account - the common geofence statement despite having separate accounts was something I read on Honeywell's web site as well being very near to your T5 while changing the geofence sizing.

dj_rice
12-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Its back on sale at BestBuy for $88. Sale ends Dec 20

Pricematch at Home Depot/Lowes and get it for $80 for those that missed.

Send in that rebate. Get paid $20 to pick up this product

rx7boi
12-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Oy boys, anyone get their $100 rebate yet?

speedog
12-26-2017, 06:34 PM

Nope.

dj_rice
12-26-2017, 06:41 PM

Could be the influx of such a overwhelming demand for rebates, the NDP offices couldn't handle it and now back-logged

jwslam
12-27-2017, 01:47 PM
I called and the guy said Not-ley was holding up the money; mine was approved late Oct

bjstare
12-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Mine was approved a couple weeks ago, until I saw this, I was hopeful I'd have a cheque in a week or two :rofl:

sabad66
12-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Got the approval email dec 6, days it will take 6-8 weeks to receive the cheque in the mail

dj_rice
12-31-2017, 08:04 PM
Check your mail guys. I got 1 of 2 rebate cheques sent.

sabad66
01-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Got the approval email dec 6, days it will take 6-8 weeks to receive the cheque in the mail

got my $100 cheque today

jaylo
01-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Received my $100 rebate as well.

Kloubek
01-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Its back on sale at BestBuy for $88. Sale ends Dec 20

Pricematch at Home Depot/Lowes and get it for $80 for those that missed.

Send in that rebate. Get paid $20 to pick up this product

Would they actually PAY you the difference? That would be an ill-conceived program if that's the case. I imagine logic would dictate they'd simply reimburse you 100%, no?

dj_rice
01-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Would they actually PAY you the difference? That would be an ill-conceived program if that's the case. I imagine logic would dictate they'd simply reimburse you 100%, no?

Yes. I got my rebate for $100. I returned the one I bought at Lowes originally for $99 and bought the HD One for $83xx. So I made money buying this product. The program would not know what stores would have it on sale and what wouldn't so its not a ill-conceived program. It would be ill-concieved IF, you purchase said product, wait/receive rebate, then return product for refund getting $100 free money.

What the Ontario program is doing is, you actually have to login to the Lyric app through the Government website to confirm you actually had it installed. Then they give you the rebate.

J-hop
01-24-2018, 09:13 PM
Just picked mine up. Going to submit my receipt tomorrow and enjoy my free thermostat.

Not a bad unit from the research I’ve done.

speedog
01-24-2018, 09:18 PM
Just picked mine up. Going to submit my receipt tomorrow and enjoy my free thermostat.

Not a bad unit from the research I’ve done.

We found that we had to set temperatures about 1.5 degrees warmer that the old programmable thermostat the T5 replaced.

As far as the geofencing feature, I gave up on that and just set the away temperature the same as the home temperature - the geofencing just never seemed to work as it's supposed to.

Strider
01-24-2018, 09:53 PM
The program would not know what stores would have it on sale and what wouldn't so its not a ill-conceived program.

You enter a purchase price on the form and submit a receipt...
But it's easier for them to just mass print $100 cheques than to verify scans of receipts.

adam c
01-24-2018, 10:20 PM
We found that we had to set temperatures about 1.5 degrees warmer that the old programmable thermostat the T5 replaced.

As far as the geofencing feature, I gave up on that and just set the away temperature the same as the home temperature - the geofencing just never seemed to work as it's supposed to.

I don't have these issues with mine, the geofencing seemed to work itself out and I haven't had to reset it in quite some time now

J-hop
01-24-2018, 11:19 PM

Yea you’re right it seems to be calibrated differently.

What is the deal with the box saying “to connect away from home you need an Apple TV 3 or later”?

I have 3 Apple TVs but never did it ask to connect and I tried playing with it on cellular and it works fine ?!?

J-hop
01-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Geofencing seems to be working today. Not sure what it’s like on android but for Apple I have to let it use my location services always. Wonder if some people are selecting “only when app is in use”. That is usually my default but I didn’t want to have to always have the app open.

speedog
01-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Geofencing seems to be working today. Not sure what it’s like on android but for Apple I have to let it use my location services always. Wonder if some people are selecting “only when app is in use”. That is usually my default but I didn’t want to have to always have the app open.

Whre does one find that setting because I seem unable to find it on my Android app?

J-hop
01-25-2018, 03:33 PM
Whre does one find that setting because I seem unable to find it on my Android app?

Man wish I could help. I’ve been such an Apple sheep for years so I have zero experience with android. Hopefully someone has figured it out here. On Apple products is a system setting that you go into and set how you want to enable it for each app (not within the app itself)

taemo
01-25-2018, 04:09 PM
finally got my cheque yesterday as well.

not using geofencing as I was finding it unreliable but dont have any issues with it on timed schedule.

bjstare
02-17-2018, 05:41 PM
Quick update, this thermostat is a POS. Works fine, except when you have to do anything network/wifi related, then it's impossible to deal with. Should have spent the extra money on a nest or ecobee, I can only assume they don't suck nearly as bad.

J-hop
02-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Quick update, this thermostat is a POS. Works fine, except when you have to do anything network/wifi related, then it's impossible to deal with. Should have spent the extra money on a nest or ecobee, I can only assume they don't suck nearly as bad.

What exactly do you mean, I’ve been running it for a month, zero problems and my geofencing works fine

adam c
02-17-2018, 10:58 PM
My geofence has been complete junk the last 2 weeks

jwslam
12-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Trying to put one of these in. Anyone know what my old Black 2 wire should go into?84395

- - - Updated - - -

T5 wiring

adam c
12-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Can you check your actual furnace and see what it's connected to? the colors on mine didn't coordinate properly either and I had to match on the actual furnace

If I was to guess though, it would probably be W as your C is blue

sabad66
12-21-2018, 10:46 AM
yup, best bet is to pop open your furnace and see where they connect on your control board. always flip the breaker off before you do that just to be safe.

jwslam
12-21-2018, 10:54 AM
So it seems I have a furnace control board that is between the thermostat and furnace. Guess I gotta give up until I find some expert help

sabad66
12-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Hard to tell cuz of the angle, but seems like the black wire is W on that Emerson device so probably should go to W on the Lyric

adam c
12-21-2018, 11:03 AM
assuming the (picture) right side goes upstairs, black goes into W based on your potato quality picture

ThePenIsMightier
12-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Bump.

Are yours working? Mine is "working" but dropped Wi-Fi connection and I can't get it back online.
Tech support has huge wait times so it's making me think there is a more global glitch with them.

taemo
12-19-2020, 11:25 AM
mine is connected but I had to re-add it to my wifi a couple of days ago, all of a sudden it went offline for some reason.
but I had other IOT devices that disconnected from my wifi too at the same time.

Team_Mclaren
12-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Same, been on and off for months. Is it the unit/app? Everything else seem to work fine in the household other than this. Bought another honeywell unit and had the same issue. So i returned that one and reinstalled the T5, worked for a few days and it's now offline again.

adam c
12-19-2020, 11:35 AM
The T5 is just crappy... I constantly get alerts that the device is having trouble communicating so I basically just set it and forget it, don't use the geofencing or schedules anymore

ThePenIsMightier
12-19-2020, 11:48 AM
The trouble shooting indicates two methods whereby I need to touch the main temp on the screen for 5 sec to trigger the T5 into whatever mode I need to reset the wifi.

Nothing happens when I touch the screen for 5 seconds, 10s, 20s, etc.
It's this happening for y'all?

- - - Updated - - -

everything Honeywell is just crappy...

Ftfy

adam c
12-19-2020, 11:58 AM
I tested mine, it goes into some kind of setup mode and appears as a wireless network on my phone I can connect to

Kloubek
12-19-2020, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I had to reset mine yesterday. Pressing center for a few seconds did what it was supposed to do for me.

bjstare
12-19-2020, 12:16 PM
Ours hasn't dropped connection very often, but does occasionally.

The T5 is a complete piece of shit. Definitely is going to make me think twice about buying another Honeywell t-stat in the future.

jwslam
12-20-2020, 01:03 PM
I found that making sure my Wifi has two split dedicated 2.4 and 5 networks helped a lot with stability, along with a lot of other smart devices that are 2.4 only.

dj_rice
12-20-2020, 01:29 PM
I should probably get around to finally installing mine.

ThePenIsMightier
12-27-2020, 08:45 PM
Mine is fixed, now.
I got through to their tech support chat thing and they guy asked me to unplug it, give him its MAC address and plug it back in.
That immediately reconnected it to my network so I didn't have to reset it, or anything.
While I had reset my modem/router a few times, I was hesitant to unplug it during the holidays with some cold weather because I needed assurance I'd still have a furnace controller.