PDA

View Full Version : How best to buy high end watches?

tirebob
11-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Hey all,

I am considering buying a higher end watch but honestly have no idea where to find the best value and know I am buying the real deal. I am not talking full crazy baller level watches, but ideally something in the lower to mid'ish 4 figure price range and definitely sub 10k. Gently used would be an option for sure for something that absolutely grabs me.

I am not into really crazy busy looking watches either. My ideal watch would be something like the Panerai Luminor 1950 model or the like.

Is there local dealers or maybe some of you (Rage *cough cough*) have specific dealers who can help with something like this and who can find authentic used watches for good value? Also I am open to suggestions of other quality pieces that are cleaner and simpler in style like my fave Panerai...

Thanks!

G-ZUS
11-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Gem by Carati :thumbsup:

03ozwhip
11-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Hey all,

I am considering buying a higher end watch but honestly have no idea where to find the best value and know I am buying the real deal. I am not talking full crazy baller level watches, but ideally something in the lower to mid'ish 4 figure price range and definitely sub 10k. Gently used would be an option for sure for something that absolutely grabs me.

I am not into really crazy busy looking watches either. My ideal watch would be something like the Panerai Luminor 1950 model or the like.

Is there local dealers or maybe some of you (Rage *cough cough*) have specific dealers who can help with something like this and who can find authentic used watches for good value? Also I am open to suggestions of other quality pieces that are cleaner and simpler in style like my fave Panerai...

Thanks!
if you're looking for authentic used watches a good place to look is watchuseek.com

flipstah
11-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Rage2 has connections with Calgary Jewelry, for sure.

:Thumbsup:

Asian_defender
11-21-2017, 12:42 PM
If you're looking for Panerai check out Brinkhaus.
1950s are hard to find used, even on WUS after conversion you're probably going to be top end of your budget
http://forums.watchuseek.com/search.php?searchid=135387171

Super sharp watches! I've never seen a PAM I didn't like
Good luck with the search Bob

yobi5888
11-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Brinkhaus is an AD for Panerai, there are a few options you can have for under 10K.

ercchry
11-21-2017, 12:45 PM
I’d probably go with a 44mm Pam if that’s the look you’re after... if you must have a larger face... maybe a iwc big pilot?

tirebob
11-21-2017, 01:05 PM
I’d probably go with a 44mm Pam if that’s the look you’re after... if you must have a larger face... maybe a iwc big pilot?

I just couldn't do it... Totally stupid reason, but there used to be a shitty IWC wheel company and even though it isn't the same thing whatsover, the name sticks in my craw and I can't get over it. lol!

- - - Updated - - -

If you're looking for Panerai check out Brinkhaus.
1950s are hard to find used, even on WUS after conversion you're probably going to be top end of your budget
http://forums.watchuseek.com/search.php?searchid=135387171

Super sharp watches! I've never seen a PAM I didn't like
Good luck with the search BobPlaces like that forum... How does one know they are not getting scammed? I would be terrified to buy something used off of a forum.

BensonTT
11-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Just go into Birks try a watch you like on then run lol

ercchry
11-21-2017, 01:11 PM
That’s pretty funny :rofl:

Not too many clean 47-50mm watches out there... so back to the 44mm, the non-chronograph version of the chopard gran turismo is pretty clean, bonus of being cheaper too! Plus the whole automotive thing :dunno:

tirebob
11-21-2017, 01:24 PM
That’s pretty funny :rofl:

Not too many clean 47-50mm watches out there... so back to the 44mm, the non-chronograph version of the chopard gran turismo is pretty clean, bonus of being cheaper too! Plus the whole automotive thing :dunno:I think a 44mm is fine for my wrist/hand size... This Seiko I am wearing is a 43.5mm.

ercchry
11-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Not sure how deep they discount them... but msrp is for sure over $10k... but worth a try is the Rolex deepsea dweller/submariner... great weight and wrist presence

G-ZUS
11-21-2017, 01:38 PM
Not sure how deep they discount them... but msrp is for sure over $10k... but worth a try is the Rolex deepsea dweller/submariner... great weight and wrist presence

Finance-able?

TYMSMNY
11-21-2017, 01:42 PM
WUS (watchuseek) and TRF (the rolex forum) is a good place to look for preowned watches. Sub 10k, looking at a Submariner. Seadweller or Deep Sea is going to be above even used. If you go older than def probable.

You can go almost anything in the steels (datejust, sub ) for about 10k, less if discounted. Brinkhaus has been great. Birks is a little low on inventory. Both are owned by the same company.

flipstah
11-21-2017, 02:07 PM
WUS is awesome for getting used Rolex watches.

I saw some Submariners for $5- 8k depending on the rarity and the date/no date debacle. Panerai would be great for you, Bob!

Asian_defender
11-21-2017, 02:23 PM
I just couldn't do it... Totally stupid reason, but there used to be a shitty IWC wheel company and even though it isn't the same thing whatsover, the name sticks in my craw and I can't get over it. lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Places like that forum... How does one know they are not getting scammed? I would be terrified to buy something used off of a forum.

You can check a users previous sales and their rep. It gives the option for other users to leave feedback about them. Generally the sponsors are pretty good. I've bought a couple of watches on here (Speedy, Seamaster) and it worked out great.
Still have the speedy today and it's been running like a champ

Xtrema
11-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Just go into Birks try a watch you like on then run lol

Can't believe that actually worked. At least they have photo of the guy.

djmr2
11-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Definitely do a deep-sea/sea-dweller for your wrist. A sub is going to look tiny!

rage2
11-21-2017, 03:17 PM
The weak CAD has totally fucked pricing and discounts. I would hold off until CAD improves (if it ever does). You're paying a 30-40% premium right now pretty much compared to when the dollar was closer to par. Manufactures have increased the dealer cost more than retail price, so the discount margin has reduced. In the end, 30% premium with discounts added. Silly.

I've cut back significantly on purchases since it all went to shit. Bought a bunch of watches right before the manufacturers upped the prices.

Buster
11-21-2017, 03:36 PM
The weak CAD has totally fucked pricing and discounts. I would hold off until CAD improves (if it ever does). You're paying a 30-40% premium right now pretty much compared to when the dollar was closer to par. Manufactures have increased the dealer cost more than retail price, so the discount margin has reduced. In the end, 30% premium with discounts added. Silly.

I've cut back significantly on purchases since it all went to shit. Bought a bunch of watches right before the manufacturers upped the prices.

I procrastinated buying the blancpain FF in wanted... Then the dollar shit happened and now I'm too disgusted to pull the trigger.

C4S
11-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Agree with Rage, Prices for luxury watches in Cad has been gone up last couple years, and harder and harder to get discount. (they don't even want to offer discount anymore!) Handbags is even worse, ~30-40% price increased ..... (other than Rolex ... )

Not a bad idea to shop from overseas such as Europe of Asia, AP, A.L or VC those high end brands could save $3-5K .... no AD in Calgary anyway!

flipstah
11-21-2017, 04:00 PM
I might sell some vintage pieces then. Bought them when USD was cheeeeep.

rage2
11-21-2017, 04:10 PM
I might sell some vintage pieces then. Bought them when USD was cheeeeep.
Yea, I've been tempted to sell a few watches to the US as well, especially the early ones that I bought which depreciated like a motherfucker (never buy watches with stones or precious metals). At least with the exchange rate right now, I can minimize those losses to about 20% instead of 50% haha. They'll never appreciate back, ever.

shakalaka
11-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Go on canwatchco forums for Canadian prices on pre-owned watches. They are forums like WUS but Canadian.

HiSpec
11-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Right now Hong Kong is having their version of Black Friday. Yesterday I saw a Tag Carrera for about $6k CAD plus 25% off. I’m not knowledgeable in the watch world, so I’m not sure if that’s a good deal :dunno:

jaylo
11-21-2017, 11:29 PM
DavidSW is quite reputable in the community and he has an online retail shop.

https://davidsw.com/

flipstah
11-22-2017, 07:22 AM

Have you used him to sell watches? Looking for a reputable seller that has great exposure. Or is WUS still the best?

tirebob
11-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Nice site... Thanks for the link!

SkiBum5.0
11-22-2017, 10:23 AM
I follow Bob's Watches on Instagram. Seems to get a pretty constant flow of vintage and newer Rolex's.

Pacman
11-22-2017, 12:28 PM
I'm so glad I got the watch bug out of my system a few years ago. Kept a few cheap ones around for fun but otherwise, I'm out. The manufacturers jacked the prices up when China was buying everything and anything to do with "luxury". That raised the prices of the used stuff. Watches I used to buy for 2k a few years ago are now 3.5k to 4k.

Watchrecon.com is your best bet. It's an aggregator and pulls all the watch "for sale" ads from 20 of the most popular watch forums.

Your concern with buying and getting scammed is valid. Lots of "watch flippers" on the forums these days that don't disclose imperfections and wear/tear on the watches they sell.

These days, it's probably better to buy a brand new one on a slight discount vs dealing with online used stuff and all of the potential hassle that goes with it. This is especially true if you are simply planning on buying "one good watch" and not planning to sell it shortly after.

C4S
11-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Right now Hong Kong is having their version of Black Friday. Yesterday I saw a Tag Carrera for about $6k CAD plus 25% off. I’m not knowledgeable in the watch world, so I’m not sure if that’s a good deal :dunno:

25% off on a Tag Carrera in HK is quite common, (unless it is the Boutique.) probably more for grey market one.

jaylo
11-23-2017, 09:28 AM
I'm so glad I got the watch bug out of my system a few years ago. Kept a few cheap ones around for fun but otherwise, I'm out. The manufacturers jacked the prices up when China was buying everything and anything to do with "luxury". That raised the prices of the used stuff. Watches I used to buy for 2k a few years ago are now 3.5k to 4k.

Watchrecon.com is your best bet. It's an aggregator and pulls all the watch "for sale" ads from 20 of the most popular watch forums.

Your concern with buying and getting scammed is valid. Lots of "watch flippers" on the forums these days that don't disclose imperfections and wear/tear on the watches they sell.

These days, it's probably better to buy a brand new one on a slight discount vs dealing with online used stuff and all of the potential hassle that goes with it. This is especially true if you are simply planning on buying "one good watch" and not planning to sell it shortly after.

This guy watches.

It is true. Buying online is quite a gamble because if you are OCD like myself, it is hard to tell imperfections on pictures online.

Bob - PM me I know some people at J.Vair and Brinkhaus.

Tag Heuer's pretty easy to get a price incentive. Rolex - depends on the model, usually sport ones like BLNR, LV, and Daytona are tough to get an incentive unless you have been a customer (like myself).

- - - Updated - - -

25% off on a Tag Carrera in HK is quite common, (unless it is the Boutique.) probably more for grey market one.

I can get 25% and up on Tag Heuer basic models locally here in Calgary no issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you used him to sell watches? Looking for a reputable seller that has great exposure. Or is WUS still the best?

I haven't used him a a seller but I bought some from him. Though his prices are in the higher range, the quality and condition is what I look for when I grab a used watch.

tirebob
11-23-2017, 11:09 AM
This guy watches.

It is true. Buying online is quite a gamble because if you are OCD like myself, it is hard to tell imperfections on pictures online.

Bob - PM me I know some people at J.Vair and Brinkhaus.

Hey I might take you up on that when I am ready to pop! Thanks!

That.Guy.S30
11-23-2017, 11:13 AM
J.vair is cool. Owner is a super nice guy unlike some other places with snooty salespeople. +1 for J. Vair

flipstah
11-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Thanks jaylo!

nismodrifter
11-23-2017, 04:00 PM
+1 j vair, my wife got my rolex from there, was impressed by service and price.

jaylo
11-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Hey I might take you up on that when I am ready to pop! Thanks!

Definitely. I am glad to help. Just tag along with me when are ready to pull the trigger.

May I suggest looking into Rolex Submariner or Submariner Date. Good incentives can be had with this model and it is an iconic timepiece.

If you're looking to stand out a bit then the GMT BLNR or the Submariner Date LV. Incentive is nil on these models.

tirebob
11-25-2017, 11:13 AM
I am not anti Rolex or anything but I wanted to be a bit outside the box. I know Pan's are not obscure or anything, but I definitely see less of them out there and I still have not found anything that grabs me the same as a Luminor 1950. I am still looking around but that model is definitely top of the heap for me (at least within a realistic budget).

Now if budget was not a consideration, this would be a dream watch for me!!

http://www.watch-insider.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PAM00507-Press.jpg

ExtraSlow
11-25-2017, 11:21 AM
I'm not in the market but I always really like the look of Hamilton watches. The Khaki line particularly.

rage2
11-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Hamilton has some awesome watches at awesome prices. If you’re not a label whore, that’s the brand I recommend to everyone.

Impreza
11-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Definitely. I am glad to help. Just tag along with me when are ready to pull the trigger.

May I suggest looking into Rolex Submariner or Submariner Date. Good incentives can be had with this model and it is an iconic timepiece.

If you're looking to stand out a bit then the GMT BLNR or the Submariner Date LV. Incentive is nil on these models.

what kind of incentives are available on Submariners nowadays? 15%?

00redLUDE
11-29-2017, 08:56 PM
what kind of incentives are available on Submariners nowadays? 15%?

Interested to know as well. PM if you want.

What about authentic watches? https://www.authenticwatches.com Do any beyonders buy from this website?

shakalaka
11-29-2017, 09:12 PM

What about authentic watches? https://www.authenticwatches.com Do any beyonders buy from this website?

I bought a Breitling Navitimer World from them a couple of years ago. No issues at all and their prices are one of the best around.

jaylo
11-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Incentives ranges upon the level of business you have or had with the store. Some random dude probably won't get much off. But anyways, the incentives depend on which Submariner there's several variations.

Submariner Date is quite popular so you can get a good deal on this model.

yobi5888
11-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Here your chance Bob.

http://timed.sothebys.com/auction-catalog/The-Panerai-Experience-Online_9CW16FIS5F/?cmp=banner_L17057___marin_panerai_30-nov-2017

Disoblige
11-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Here your chance Bob.

http://timed.sothebys.com/auction-catalog/The-Panerai-Experience-Online_9CW16FIS5F/?cmp=banner_L17057___marin_panerai_30-nov-2017
Current bid: 35k pounds -> ~$61k+ CAD holy fuck

C4S
11-30-2017, 03:32 PM

So .. even with "Cyber Week Sale" ..Still cost over $10K cad to buy a Blind Sub from US online store with a 1.5% discount "Cyber Week Sale" . $8,550 cad + GST from local store with much better warranty is the way to go!

For under $10K, the Blind Sub is still top choice for men with smaller hands!

flipstah
11-30-2017, 03:43 PM
USD conversion is a big factor for these grey market sites.

msommers
11-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Hamilton has some awesome watches at awesome prices. If you’re not a label whore, that’s the brand I recommend to everyone.

This is good to know that Hamiltons are still quality pieces! The Maestro is classic and one I hope to own some day.