PDA

View Full Version : Structurally Unsafe Residential Building in Calgary

mr2mike
11-24-2017, 08:07 AM
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-residents-barred-from-returning-to-structurally-unsafe-building-1.3692161
The city says it will be putting supports in place at a building in northwest Calgary that was evacuated on Thursday night because of some serious structural issues.
More than 100 people are forced out of Kensington Manor on 10 Street N.W. at about 4:30 p.m.
There were original reports that the building was in imminent danger of collapse, but the city has since refuted those claims, but says the building is in bad shape.

My question is, can someone confirm that this is actually a City of Calgary Low Income Housing building??
I'm confident that it is. Which is awesome that the city can't maintain their own properties but are anxious to go out and build new ones for people who can't afford it.

ianmcc
11-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Don't believe so. This building looks to be owned by Prestigious Properties Canada Ltd.
https://www.manta.com/ic/mtqn1my/ca/prestigious-properties-canada-ltd

mr2mike
11-24-2017, 08:53 AM
Thanks.

So my guess is they'll end up tearing it down and building new. Tough to compete with all the surrounding new condo buildings in the area that are going up.

firebane
11-24-2017, 09:10 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/comments/7f3rdh/residents_of_kensington_manor_on_10th_street_nw/?ref=share&ref_source=link

ExtraSlow
11-24-2017, 10:36 AM
Mike, I'm pretty sure this is Druh Farrell's fault. Not sure how yet, but I'm certain.

kertejud2
11-24-2017, 12:57 PM
So my guess is they'll end up tearing it down and building new. Tough to compete with all the surrounding new condo buildings in the area that are going up.

Should they be so anxious to do this when they can't maintain their own properties, though?

ZenOps
11-25-2017, 10:57 AM
I walk by that building every so often. You can tell it was built cheaply.

speedog
11-25-2017, 11:17 AM
I walk by that building every so often. You can tell it was built cheaply.

I call bullshit on the bolded part, there are many buildings out there that appear to have not been built cheaply but in reality are. Shit, I did some renovation work in a pub in Sunnyside in the past year and from outward appearances it looks like a great structure bug behind the scenes it's a whole different situation - we, in fact, refused to do some of the stuff the owners wanted done so they just found someone who would and did. Stuff that structurally probably should've required an engineer to sign off on and we did not want to place ourselves in a contentious position.

But then again, I don't have the trained or expert eyes that you do - fucking twat that I am.

killramos
11-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Nuts, I have been in that building. A friend lived there back in Junior High.

Scary.

:nut:

ZenOps
11-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Well, all you have to do to tell its built badly is look at the horizon and see how its not lined up. Duh. I can imagine it might also be the idea that the outdoor outcroppings might fail and squish someone having a BBQ.

Also: How can you tell someone did a bad job on roofing? when you can see sunlight through it.

Sugarphreak
11-26-2017, 02:01 AM