PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to move fridge lines and wall oven lines?

rach
12-05-2017, 04:02 PM
okay guys, I have a situation here, the fridge and wall oven, orginal deisgn was side by side, but I want to seperate them and put a countertop in between, how hard is that to do it? the lines/wires already in for the orginal design, and its at drywall stage right now.
someone quote me $1650 to move the lines, and redo inspection.
any one has any experience regarding this?
thanks in advance

bjstare
12-05-2017, 04:25 PM
Are you moving them 3' or 10'? That makes a difference. Does your fridge have a water line plumbed in for it? that also makes a difference. Does that quote include mudding and taping after they cut the drywall apart to move the lines?

You left out quite a bit of info. Moving utilities is sometimes easy and sometimes a massive PITA. That being said, the price doesn't seem that outrageous, but it's highly dependent on a number of variables. Get multiple quotes?

01RedDX
12-05-2017, 04:40 PM

rach
12-05-2017, 04:51 PM
Yes, basement ceiling is done.
its about 4 ft away and will need to rip the drywall out, and reinstalling
and yes fridge has water line.

speedog
12-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Basically a small PITA job is why the price will seem inflated - several trades involved plus inspection. Not a difficult job but time is money and to roll people/tools/vehicles for small jobs is usually more expensive for the work done compared to larger scope jobs.

rach
12-06-2017, 09:57 AM
ok let say i dont move them and do it side by side, and i will do walls of cabinets on the right side, is this common thing todo?

Tik-Tok
12-06-2017, 10:09 AM
ok let say i dont move them and do it side by side, and i will do walls of cabinets on the right side, is this common thing todo?

You want to completely enclose the stove between the fridge, and a wall of cabinets? That sounds like a terrible idea.

ExtraSlow
12-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Need some counter space beside stove. Ideally both sides.

mr2mike
12-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Just put it through the floor like this... Get yourself a bit more length and don't worry that the drawer rubs on the wire. It doesn't have much amperage. :facepalm:
Note: This is an actual install job on a home I had purchased. AccuHome inspections didn't catch it. Just be forewarned.
Not hard for me to fix this because basement ceiling was exposed but still a PITA. Had to run new wire from panel to wall. $$$.

rach
12-06-2017, 10:31 AM
just to be clear, its a wall oven , and fridge..and cabinets will be right side ceiling to floor
any suggestions?

Tik-Tok
12-06-2017, 10:33 AM
just to be clear, its a wall oven , and fridge..and cabinets will be right side ceiling to floor
any suggestions?

Ok, that makes more sense. Still a bit strange IMO, you want to have a close by spot to put down whatever is going/coming out of the oven. Your house though, you do what makes sense to you.

rach
12-06-2017, 10:38 AM
I mean its only 4 ft wide cabinets beside the wall oven...anyone done it like this?
I have lots of counter space in the rest of the house..

realazy
12-06-2017, 10:40 AM
any suggestions?

You mean like this? https://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/5b11752b0cfe7b95_4-1000/contemporary-kitchen.jpg

I think that's fine as long as you have an island.

rach
12-06-2017, 01:32 PM
yes, except all cabinets will be closed, with doors.

- - - Updated - - -

and yes, have a 10 ft x 5ft island