PDA

View Full Version : Do you add people on LinkedIn you have never met?

killramos
12-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Interested to hear from beyonders:

Do you add people on LinkedIn you don’t know or have never met?

I get probabaly half a dozen of these kinds of requests a month, I swear it’s just people who add everyone on that “people you may know” page...

Seems like such a waste of breath to me, they could be the most interesting person in the world and I wouldn’t add them to my LinkedIn, like I want to get career updates and birthday reminders forever from people I have never met?

Very often just from the people with 500+ or 1000+ connections. Yea right. Personally I don’t even add friends or family unless I have a professional relationship of some kind.

Thoughts?

JfuckinC
12-06-2017, 10:21 AM
I add them if they're in the same industry as me sometimes, not often though.. otherwise no, i don't add randoms..

hampstor
12-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Generally no. I used to accept their requests but found I got a lot of people trying to sell me shit or people thinking I can get them a job.

bjstare
12-06-2017, 10:30 AM
I always ignore those requests.

colinxx235
12-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Never, I used to get so many as a PE at an EPCM. Especially the second you would get a quote for a product. Next thing you know it would be the sales, sales manager, vp sales, manager etc all sending requests. Probably 50-75% of my requests were from sales guys/managers of companies I had never heard of, gets old quick.

Same issue when you used to submit pipeline applications in, the cold calls were ridiculous.

TomcoPDR
12-06-2017, 10:39 AM
I add them if they're in the same industry as me sometimes, not often though.. otherwise no, i don't add randoms..

Generally no. I used to accept their requests but found I got a lot of people trying to sell me shit or people thinking I can get them a job.

Hybrid between these two responds. Pendent on your industry (and cross industry).

JRSC00LUDE
12-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Deleted that account 2 years ago, haven't even noticed it's gone. Useless.

HiTempguy1
12-06-2017, 11:24 AM
I haven't ever really benefited from LinkedIn, but its one of those things I feel it is important enough to be on, but not important enough to be active on.

Facebook and LinkedIn is the first place potential business partners/clients/contacts go to look you up. Its valuable to have some sort of ice breaking contact with many people, especially in Europe that you may never run into.

ExtraSlow
12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
I guess why are you on LinkedIn? If it's just to keep track of people you already know. Then yeah. Don't bother adding anyone. If you truly want to grow your network and make new connections, then of course you should add people.

I've used it to market myself and my business and I've absolutely made new connections on LinkedIn that I've turned into face to face meetings and business opportunities. It's a great tool for that if you allow it to be.

Sugarphreak
12-06-2017, 12:19 PM

Mitsu3000gt
12-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes if I talk to them for work, but simply haven't met them yet, or see that they are an obvious colleague of a company we affiliate with, or someone we do business with.

No if they are desperate head hunters fishing for applicants for totally unrelated jobs ("I reviewed your profile and I think you would be the perfect fit for this great opportunity!!!")

No if they are marketing companies trying to sell you branding, marketing, exposure, etc.

killramos
12-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Headhunters I find awkward, though those usually come with a message about why they are contacting me which I don't mind so much. Had one of those this week, but then again:
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/you-must-be-truly-desperate-to-come-to-me-for-help.jpg

Had another which seemed like shameless spam, mix match of common connections from the most random corners of my professional life and also an alumnus. Clearly sends invites to pretty well everyone.

Both went into ignore this morning, and a report for not knowing the person on the second...

A few months ago I had a TA who marks some classes I have taken who I have never met but know of add me :rofl:

:dunno:

AndyL
12-06-2017, 01:13 PM
Timely question.

So if a former manager adds me and requests endorsements... And he was by far the worst manager I've ever met. Should I? :D

D'z Nutz
12-06-2017, 01:24 PM
I don't accept requests from people who I know and don't like, forget about people who I don't know. In fact, I barely accept requests from people I know and DO like because I can't be bothered to log in :rofl:

wintonyk
12-07-2017, 12:12 AM
I work in business development so am fairly active on linkedIn. For the most part I only add people I have personally met (in person or phone) and use the same rationale for accepting. I find it useful to get in touch with people you know that have changed jobs/been laid off, but you may not have their new contact info.

ercchry
12-07-2017, 12:21 AM
I commented ONCE on someone’s post on LinkedIn... wow... never again, some crazy chick from Ontario spammed the shit out of all my socials and tried to add me to LinkedIn. She wanted to trade clients or some shit... even though with what we both did there would of been zero cross business between us

Sugarphreak
12-07-2017, 01:11 AM

ercchry
12-07-2017, 01:15 AM
Aaannd there is a notification... :rofl:

BavarianBeast
12-07-2017, 10:29 AM
If there a tool I can use in my industry than yeah, for sure.

I’ll only accept from a recruiter if they have a really good position to fill.

ExtraSlow
12-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I keep Facebook really locked down, but I see no downside to having a large network on LinkedIn.

eblend
12-07-2017, 03:35 PM
I get a bunch of IT recruiters trying to add me, but I think all they do this for is to make themselves look better....as they would have lots of qualified people under their connections. So I don't bother. Can find my own job!

BokCh0y
12-07-2017, 03:46 PM
generally no. I used to accept their requests but found i got a lot of people trying to sell me shit or people thinking i can get them a job.

this.

Zhariak
12-07-2017, 05:26 PM
A lot of people don't realize this: Most people on LinkedIn only share E-mail address connections (via security/privacy setting). When strangers send connection requests and you accept, the strangers get your e-mail address. This results in major spam increase!