PDA

View Full Version : Need to tweak workout - looking for suggestions.

dj_patm
12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Backstory: I started working out again for the first time in a few years back in August. I started by doing the same work out I had seen some success with back when I used to work out a lot in my early 20's. The workout was a 5 x 5 focused on full body work outs and I saw good strength gains then and I saw good strength gains this time but I'm finally starting to plateau a bit and I think it's time to change it up.

I really do like doing Squats and Bench Press as a 5x5 so I think I'm going to keep that the same. I'm looking mainly to change up the isolation work outs and add some shoulder and back work outs, although it's my biceps that have really stalled out. Haven't been able to go up in weight since basically August.

My work gym is pretty good but does have limited machines so I basically do everything with the squat rack, bench, barbells and dumbbells.

Here was my workout before:

Monday:
Squat 5 x 5
Bench 5 x 5
Bent Over Row 3 x 8
Skull Crushers 3 x 8
Fly (on bench) 3 x 8
Sit ups till fail

Wednesday:
Squat 5 x 5
Military Press 5 x 5
Deadlift 3 x 5
Pull ups 3 x failure
Biceps curl: 3 x 8
Sit ups till fail

Friday:
Squat 5 x 5
Bench 5 x 5
Bent Over Row 3 x 8
Dips 3 x Fail (need to replace, doing 3 x 10 with ease. don't have a belt to do weighted dips)
Fly (on bench) 3 x 8
Sit ups till fail

My goals are to gain mass more so than anything. I've got like zero percent body fat so it's all about weight gain at this point. Problem is I can't take mass building protein shakes as they make me violently ill and so does over eating (+3000 calories) so I've kinda given up on gaining significant mass, just hoping to gain enough to look good (Read: normal)

Started in August and my weight bounced around 145 - 150 lbs (I know :( )
Currently weigh 155 lbs (I know :( )
Goal 165 lbs

So thoughts on what I should change? Obviously my work out is light on shoulders and back. Biceps too.

All help appreciated as usual.

GQBalla
12-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Work out, I used to think was what it was all about but I've come to realize it is all about your diet.

What is your height and age?

dj_patm
12-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Height: 5'10 - 5'11

I've actually been debating going 3 x 5 and upping the weight on everything. Although it is a bit scary at my age haha. My bones and joints seem to make a lot of weird sounds and pops these days!

Thoughts?

GQBalla
12-06-2017, 03:37 PM
I recently switched up to Push, Pull and Legs routine rotating between power and hypertrophy.

I believe it may work out for your three workouts per week.

Honestly, eat 2500 calories. Judging just from how you want to gain mass and have a lower body fat. That should be very easy to intake daily.

dj_patm
12-06-2017, 03:39 PM
ooo I've never heard of that before.

That's interesting.

suntan
12-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Try this one out. I got gains really, really quickly.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833

Chester
12-06-2017, 04:03 PM
hmm, I'm no expert, but your workout kind of looks all over the place, in terms of muscle groups and the days your working them. You also need more variety in the type of lifts you're doing, or you won't see drastic gains.

This works for me (i won't get into specific workouts):

Monday:
Chest
Abs

Tuesday:
Legs
Biceps
Abs

Wednesday:
Cardio

Thursday:
Shoulders
Triceps
Abs

Friday:
Back
Biceps

Saturday/Sunday:
rest

I super set each muscle group, 5 sets, first 3 sets to 12 reps, last 2 sets to failure.

I'm 6'1", ~210lb

tonytiger55
12-06-2017, 04:24 PM
I was going to say pretty much what Chester suggested, group up the muscles and variety in types of lifts.

Only thing I would do a bit different is go the other way and increase your rep range with a lighter weight. Kinda like the Arnold workout. The idea to stress the muscle a different way. So when you do the heaver weights your body will have to adapt.
I did a few years back and noticed a difference.
It will burn more calories and but that in turn will defo make you eat more.

Hallowed_point
12-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Don't ask, but I read this as "need to twerk workout"

roopi
12-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Biceps stalled out? You have one isolation exercise for a total of 24 reps over a 7 day period. The only other time you are hitting the biceps are through some compound movements (which is fine) but if you want to see improvement you need to do more and more often.

vengie
12-06-2017, 05:34 PM
This is the workout I follow for the most part, with some tweaks and different super sets.
Its a great workout. I've put on 15lbs of mass in the last year.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/modern-physique-steve-cook-8-week-training-plan

spike98
12-06-2017, 05:45 PM
If you are limiting yourself to 3 days, 5x5 with accessories is your best bet. If you can do more PPL works awesome.

dj_patm
12-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all of the tips guys.

I think I'm going to restructure my workout so it's PPL but still 3 days a week, with maintaining the core workouts as 5x5 (although I might try 3 x 5 with heavier weight). We'll see what happens and if I'm still stuck, then I shall try to lighten the lifts with more reps for a bit and switch back as suggested. That sounds like it could work.

As for the workouts being scattered the way they are now, yeah, that's cause the original work out was super short and I had to add extra workouts that didn't really line up well.

cycosis
12-06-2017, 06:00 PM
I'm a couple months into my version of coolcicada PPL routine. SO far I'm enjoying it as Strong Lifts was boring as fuck. I had to make some adjustments as I dont have a leg press machine and I added in deadlifts. I'm up each morning at 6 and have my own equipment at home so it makes it pretty easy considering the volume. Similar to SL, its a intro intermediate program with progressive weight, ie. 5 lbs to each exercise/week. I like that you do all the compound lifts, and then accessories focusing on specific muscle groups. Each muscle group gets worked twice a week. Rest 1 min-2 mins between sets. SS stands for super set, meaning there is no break between your tricep pushdown and your lateral raise. With minimal procrastinating, I'm getting through most workouts in 45-55 minutes. The variety keeps me happy.

I'm pretty weak and also pretty tall at 6'4" but making good progress: Bench 150 lbs, OHP 80 lbs, Row 145 lbs, Squat 155 lbs, Deadlift 185 lbs

Monday - Push

Bench press (barbell) - Warmup, 4x5 + 1x to just before failure
Overhead press (barbell) - 3x10
Incline press (dumbbells) - 3x10
Tricep pushdowns (cable) - 3x10
Lateral dumbbell raises (dumbells) SS - 3x10
Overhead tricep extensions (cable) - 3x10
Forward dumbbell raises (dumbbells) SS - 3x10

Tuesday - Pull

Bent over row (barbell) - warmup, 4x5 + 1x to just before failure
Lat pull downs (cable) - 3x10
Seated rows (cable) - 3x10
Face pulls (cable) - 3x10
Curls (dumbbell) - 3x10
Hammer curls (dumbbell) - 3x10

Wednesday - Legs

Squats (barbell) - warmup, 4x5 + 1x to just before failure
Romanian deadlift (barbell) - 3x10 (this is a substitute for leg press)
Bulgarian split squats (dumbbell) - 3x10 (again, substitute for no leg press)
Hamstring curls (cable) - 3x10
Leg extensions (cable) - 3x10
Calf raises (dumbbell) - 3x10

Thursday - Push (I swap bench and OHP on push day #2)

Overhead press (barbell) - Warmup, 4x5 + 1x to just before failure
Bench press (barbell) - 3x10
Incline press (dumbbells) - 3x10
Tricep pushdowns (cable) - 3x10
Lateral dumbbell raises (dumbells) SS - 3x10
Overhead tricep extensions (cable) - 3x10
Forward dumbbell raises (dumbbells) SS - 3x10

Friday - Pull (I swap bent over row for deadlift on pull day #2)

Deadlift - warmup, 1x5 + 1x to just before failure
Lat pull downs (cable) - 3x10
Seated rows (cable) - 3x10
Face pulls (cable) - 3x10
Curls (dumbbell) - 3x10
Hammer curls (dumbbell) - 3x10

Saturday - Legs

Squats (barbell) - warmup, 4x5 + 1x to just before failure
Romanian deadlift (barbell) - 3x10 (this is a substitute for leg press)
Bulgarian split squats (dumbbell) - 3x10 (again, substitute for no leg press)
Hamstring curls (cable) - 3x10
Leg extensions (cable) - 3x10
Calf raises (dumbbell) - 3x10

Sunday - Rest, well deserved :D

RealJimmyJames
12-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Don't ask, but I read this as "need to twerk workout"

Twerking is a great workout, that’s how I got so thicc.

Neons4life
12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I do PLP now, as I found I can hit legs 2 times a week which really helps gain mass. I am 5'10" 230lbs, 16% fat. My biggest issue was the order I do pull and legs, because working back the day before legs I put a lot of strain on my back and usually end up injuring myself. So now legs then pull.
Do what exercises you feel work the best for your body, not what the internet or a friend say to do. Don't get stuck in the mind set of sets/reps (5x5). If you like a certain exercise do extra sets, more reps (pyramids, super sets etc).

Tej.S
12-06-2017, 08:13 PM
Stop doing sit-ups, asap. There are dozens of better, safer exercises to target your core. There's also a countless number of programs online that you can follow if you're bored of your current one. Obviously with limited equipment, it's harder since you don't have as much freedom to pick and choose your exercises. Honestly, without getting into the nitty gritty details, as long your weekly volume increases for your primary movements, you should notice strength/mass gains. You can only repeat a movement so often before you hit a wall. That's when you have to look into tweaking other factors - frequency, intensity, volume.

Anyways, it seems like you're still a beginner, so you should be able to make gains without too much difficulty. Just please stop doing sit-ups lol

suntan
12-06-2017, 10:35 PM
If you want big guns like what the ladies love you need to do dedicated arm exercises. They respond better to high reps for hypertrophy.

dirtsniffer
12-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Want to gain weight you gotta eat more. Pretty simple. Lifts all the weights you want but if there isn't enough energy to build muscle you won't. No matter what you do.

suntan
12-06-2017, 11:41 PM
One thing about protein powders - are you lactose intolerant? Virtually all of them have immense amounts of lactose. I think there's like two that don't.

J-hop
12-07-2017, 07:44 AM
One thing about protein powders - are you lactose intolerant? Virtually all of them have immense amounts of lactose. I think there's like two that don't.

There are tons that donít. Lots of veggie based alternatives and whey isolate is effectively lactose free

Chester
12-07-2017, 09:13 AM
I was going to say pretty much what Chester suggested, group up the muscles and variety in types of lifts.

Only thing I would do a bit different is go the other way and increase your rep range with a lighter weight. Kinda like the Arnold workout. The idea to stress the muscle a different way. So when you do the heaver weights your body will have to adapt.
I did a few years back and noticed a difference.
It will burn more calories and but that in turn will defo make you eat more.

Also this. One week I will lift heavy, still sticking to the five set/superset routine, the next week I lift half or a little more than half of what I did the previous week, just high reps with very little rest between sets while still supersetting. Everyone is different, but muscle confusion and variety is key. Good luck:thumbsup:

suntan
12-07-2017, 10:26 AM
There are tons that don’t. Lots of veggie based alternatives and whey isolate is effectively lactose free

Unfortunately many, many powders that claim to be just whey isolate have some regular whey protein added. It's a real, real pisser.

I guess there's a lot more pea protein powders available now that don't taste like ass.

dj_patm
12-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Uh oh, what's wrong with sit ups?

I do a lot of sit ups and it works very well. I feel fine?

mr2mike
12-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Also get enough sleep. Body needs to recover.
Increase what you eat. If you can't eat that many calories in 3 meals, make it 4 or 5 meals a day.

vengie
12-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately many, many powders that claim to be just whey isolate have some regular whey protein added. It's a real, real pisser.

I guess there's a lot more pea protein powders available now that don't taste like ass.

MRM Veggie Elite is a great pea based protein.

That's what I personally use.

Tej.S
12-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Uh oh, what's wrong with sit ups?

I do a lot of sit ups and it works very well. I feel fine?

You're putting unnecessary pressure and stress on your spinal discs. There is LOTS of literature out there discussing this topic.

dj_patm
12-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Yeah just read about it.

What is the Front Plank and Leg Raise equivalent of around 100 sit ups? lol.

Damn. I was getting great results from sit ups.

duaner
12-07-2017, 03:54 PM
Try the "RKC" plank. Second exercise down the list:

http://tonygentilcore.com/2017/09/3-ways-improve-deadlift-without-deadlifting/

I'm curious to know if they are as hard as the guy says. I have been meaning to try them but I never get around to it. lol I actually never get around to doing core only exercises.

dj_patm
12-07-2017, 04:48 PM
Try the "RKC" plank. Second exercise down the list:

http://tonygentilcore.com/2017/09/3-ways-improve-deadlift-without-deadlifting/

I'm curious to know if they are as hard as the guy says. I have been meaning to try them but I never get around to it. lol I actually never get around to doing core only exercises.

So today I switched sit ups for front plank. Held for two minutes and everything but my abs got tired. I don't think its a good replacement for sit ups for me. Maybe I'll try this next time.

I also tried Leg raises with the dip bar. That is hard af although the previous planks might have made it harder. I'll try them first next time.

Maxx Mazda
12-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Is a cardio day a thing? I usually do 30-35 mins of cardio prior to even working my muscles, each and every time. Is that not the preferred way?

Tej.S
12-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Is a cardio day a thing? I usually do 30-35 mins of cardio prior to even working my muscles, each and every time. Is that not the preferred way?

For most people, probably not. If you're just an average gym goer who just wants to look fit, knock yourself out and do cardio before/after your workout.

If you're actually serious about optimizing your results and want to attain a more muscular physique, then it's best to do intense cardio on off days.

ExtraSlow
12-07-2017, 08:27 PM
I decided to just get skinny, fuck being strong.

Maxx Mazda
12-08-2017, 05:58 AM
For most people, probably not. If you're just an average gym goer who just wants to look fit, knock yourself out and do cardio before/after your workout.

If you're actually serious about optimizing your results and want to attain a more muscular physique, then it's best to do intense cardio on off days.

What’s the science behind that? More energy left over to expend on the muscles? I workout first thing after getting up on an empty stomach. I’ll drink plenty of water and have a glass of pre workout just before leaving my house. I find if I have food in my belly I feel bloated and lazy and have way less energy.

J-hop
12-08-2017, 08:12 AM
lol, everyone has a silver bullet.

The truth is no person has ever come up with an optimal training program period.

OP youíve probably passed your newby gains is all. Switching up training programs isnít going to be night and day unfortunately. But combine what suggestions on here sound interesting and try it out.

mazdavirgin
12-08-2017, 05:36 PM
It's pretty much all in the diet if you're showing to the gym consistently and not going anywhere... If you can't stomach any of that other stuff just start with a small easy change. Keep eating everything you normally do but eat half a tub of full fat greek yogurt everyday. Just buy something like: https://olympicdairy.com/product/krema-en/vanilla-650g eat half a day. Repeat...

shakalaka
12-08-2017, 06:16 PM
hmm, I'm no expert, but your workout kind of looks all over the place, in terms of muscle groups and the days your working them. You also need more variety in the type of lifts you're doing, or you won't see drastic gains.

This works for me (i won't get into specific workouts):

Monday:
Chest
Abs

Tuesday:
Legs
Biceps
Abs

Wednesday:
Cardio

Thursday:
Shoulders
Triceps
Abs

Friday:
Back
Biceps

Saturday/Sunday:
rest

I super set each muscle group, 5 sets, first 3 sets to 12 reps, last 2 sets to failure.

I'm 6'1", ~210lb

Do you mind going into the specifics as to what exercises you do on each day kind of thing? Our body structure is more or less very similar so if a program for someone like me works that makes me very curious to try it out.

Darkane
12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
I say let’s help him with diet.

2500 calories seems too low.

I’d shoot for 4000, but with incremental increases. Also, it sounds like you need some dirty food - I’m jealous.

Drink one of these a day:

1cup 18% coffee cream - 500 Cals
1 bannana - 125 cals
1/2 cup quick oats - 125 cals
2 tbsp maple syrup - 100 cals
1-2 scoops of vanilla or chocolate protein powder - 100-200 cals

Roughly 1000 calories.

30-60 protein
40 fat
90 carbs

All rough counts. It tastes like heaven. Put in a shot or two of espresso and it’s fhe best breakfast ever.

Say hello to your new gains.

J-hop
12-09-2017, 09:10 AM
2500 actually seems pretty decent for someone in the 150s looking to get to 165. 2500 is about maintenance for someone working a desk job in the 195-200 lb range. 4000 calories is going to be over doing it for him IMO if heís not active 8 hours a day and seems to react poorly to massive overeating as he mentioned.

Over 40 grams of sugar for breakfast sounds like a bad idea thatís like eating a full size oh Henry bar for breakfast (in terms of sugar). I know Iíd be crash city by the time I got to work

cycosis
12-09-2017, 01:36 PM
I say let’s help him with diet.

Drink one of these a day:

1cup 18% coffee cream - 500 Cals
1 bannana - 125 cals
1/2 cup quick oats - 125 cals
2 tbsp maple syrup - 100 cals
1-2 scoops of vanilla or chocolate protein powder - 100-200 cals

Roughly 1000 calories.

30-60 protein
40 fat
90 carbs

Im assuming this is blended yes? Are the oats cooked? Curious to try it as Im only having a protein shake at breakfast, not enough actual food

Darkane
12-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Im assuming this is blended yes? Are the oats cooked? Curious to try it as Im only having a protein shake at breakfast, not enough actual food

Blended yeah. Can add some more liquid for consistency.

Or ice and eat it with a spoon.

Don’t need to cook the oats.

Can replace maple syrup with honey. Or no syrupy liquid at all. Easily able to play around with it.

- - - Updated - - -

2500 actually seems pretty decent for someone in the 150s looking to get to 165. 2500 is about maintenance for someone working a desk job in the 195-200 lb range. 4000 calories is going to be over doing it for him IMO if he’s not active 8 hours a day and seems to react poorly to massive overeating as he mentioned.

Over 40 grams of sugar for breakfast sounds like a bad idea that’s like eating a full size oh Henry bar for breakfast (in terms of sugar). I know I’d be crash city by the time I got to work

He says he needs to add weight. It’s not black and white, I’m willing to bet he’s either Asian or EI with incredible insulin sensitivity. He NEEDS glycogen bombs like that.

Besides it’s not even that many carbs. Look up a regular bagel haha.

Glycogen = sugar = starch.

Seth1968
12-09-2017, 05:34 PM
Backstory: I started working out again for the first time in a few years back in August. I started by doing the same work out I had seen some success with back when I used to work out a lot in my early 20's. The workout was a 5 x 5 focused on full body work outs and I saw good strength gains then and I saw good strength gains this time but I'm finally starting to plateau a bit and I think it's time to change it up.

I really do like doing Squats and Bench Press as a 5x5 so I think I'm going to keep that the same. I'm looking mainly to change up the isolation work outs and add some shoulder and back work outs, although it's my biceps that have really stalled out. Haven't been able to go up in weight since basically August.

My work gym is pretty good but does have limited machines so I basically do everything with the squat rack, bench, barbells and dumbbells.

Here was my workout before:

Monday:
Squat 5 x 5
Bench 5 x 5
Bent Over Row 3 x 8
Skull Crushers 3 x 8
Fly (on bench) 3 x 8
Sit ups till fail

Wednesday:
Squat 5 x 5
Military Press 5 x 5
Deadlift 3 x 5
Pull ups 3 x failure
Biceps curl: 3 x 8
Sit ups till fail

Friday:
Squat 5 x 5
Bench 5 x 5
Bent Over Row 3 x 8
Dips 3 x Fail (need to replace, doing 3 x 10 with ease. don't have a belt to do weighted dips)
Fly (on bench) 3 x 8
Sit ups till fail

My goals are to gain mass more so than anything. I've got like zero percent body fat so it's all about weight gain at this point. Problem is I can't take mass building protein shakes as they make me violently ill and so does over eating (+3000 calories) so I've kinda given up on gaining significant mass, just hoping to gain enough to look good (Read: normal)

Started in August and my weight bounced around 145 - 150 lbs (I know :( )
Currently weigh 155 lbs (I know :( )
Goal 165 lbs

So thoughts on what I should change? Obviously my work out is light on shoulders and back. Biceps too.

All help appreciated as usual.

Try this one out. I got gains really, really quickly.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833

As usual, you talk in some sort of bizarre, sarcasm, then run away.

Are you being serious or what?

J-hop
12-09-2017, 07:38 PM
Blended yeah. Can add some more liquid for consistency.

Or ice and eat it with a spoon.

Donít need to cook the oats.

Can replace maple syrup with honey. Or no syrupy liquid at all. Easily able to play around with it.

- - - Updated - - -

He says he needs to add weight. Itís not black and white, Iím willing to bet heís either Asian or EI with incredible insulin sensitivity. He NEEDS glycogen bombs like that.

Besides itís not even that many carbs. Look up a regular bagel haha.

Glycogen = sugar = starch.

Just be careful when you suggest stuff like this. This is almost half the guys current intake in one meal and thatís an insane amount of pure sugars in one go.

When I was 200 lbs, powerlifting with a coach and nutritionist I didnít eat like that.

The guy is already having issues eating high calorie diets, this just doesnít seem like it will sit well with him IMO

Darkane
12-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Just be careful when you suggest stuff like this. This is almost half the guys current intake in one meal and that’s an insane amount of pure sugars in one go.

When I was 200 lbs, powerlifting with a coach and nutritionist I didn’t eat like that.

The guy is already having issues eating high calorie diets, this just doesn’t seem like it will sit well with him IMO

Who was your coach?

He said he had issues eating a high calorie diet. 9/10 times situations like this arise from the volume of food, not the food itself.

The shake is not much more than 500ml, if at all, and has roughly the same carbs as a small
Oreo blizzard from DQ.

I suggested a way for him to get his weight up. He can’t do weight gainer shakes, so let’s do whole food shakes.

Im curious what your nutritionist had you eating. I’m also going to assume you were competing in the 205 class, or maybe cut lots of water and qualified for the 183 class in lifting. In both cases your calories would be maintenance, basically.

RealJimmyJames
12-09-2017, 10:50 PM
Does glycemic index matter for this type of nutrition program?

J-hop
12-09-2017, 11:01 PM
Who was your coach?

He said he had issues eating a high calorie diet. 9/10 times situations like this arise from the volume of food, not the food itself.

The shake is not much more than 500ml, if at all, and has roughly the same carbs as a small
Oreo blizzard from DQ.

I suggested a way for him to get his weight up. He canít do weight gainer shakes, so letís do whole food shakes.

Im curious what your nutritionist had you eating. Iím also going to assume you were competing in the 205 class, or maybe cut lots of water and qualified for the 183 class in lifting. In both cases your calories would be maintenance, basically.

I was never good enough to compete. No one likes to watch someone lift sissy weights.

Was mostly a bro diet just higher calorie as it was easiest to set and change macro/calorie goals for different training periods. Was eating 3500-4000 calories a day and that was plenty for someone that was only training 7-8 hours a week. That was over1.5x my maintenance.

This guys maintenance is probably 16-1800. Donít think he should be downing well over half that for a morning shake. Not going to see lean gains from that. I donít think his goal is to put on a lot of fat?

Based on your get ripped thread (which is pretty impressive), you are huge compared to DJ so I think youíre kinda losing sight of how small 155 actually is (no offense dj).

Keep in mind this is only month 4 of him starting from nothing. 5-10lbs lean gains is huge in 4 months. Reading through his comments I think heís doing pretty damn good and doesnít need a drastic change

Iím actually jealous of you DJ, after getting back into snowboarding last year I would love to be down in the 160s. Canít be nimble weighing 190 at 5í8Ē

Darkane
12-10-2017, 03:54 AM
Nah, truth is I’m pretty soft lately. /sad face

I’ve had some injuries this year that really put me back, however excuses aren’t for me. I’ll be back at it better than ever soon enough.

If his maintenance is that low I’d be shocked. I bet he could eat more and gain. Thing is the body will adapt so with training his basal metabolic needs might be greater than we think after new muscle is being created.

Spit balling :)

suntan
12-11-2017, 12:22 PM
As usual, you talk in some sort of bizarre, sarcasm, then run away.

Are you being serious or what?

ROFL, I have other responses in here dipshit.

He wants bigger muscles but he's doing a power routine with too many compound movements. He wants to do something different, and PPL routine is certainly different from what he's doing now.

Bro do you even lift? I can feel your spongy neck from here.

max_boost
12-11-2017, 07:16 PM
40 day workout by Dan John.

Simple and easy to follow. https://www.t-nation.com/training/40-day-program

Gman.45
12-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Height: 5'10 - 5'11

I've actually been debating going 3 x 5 and upping the weight on everything. Although it is a bit scary at my age haha. My bones and joints seem to make a lot of weird sounds and pops these days!

Thoughts?

Palm, I just wanted to point out that you're just NOW reaching your prime years for building/power lifting. It's actually your early 30s to late 30s where your body, for most people, can really perform, and put on a lot of muscle mass, not your 20s. I've been told this by many, many lifters/builders, as I only started power lifting when I hit my early 30s myself, and had similar fears. I've been doing it 11 years now, and will lift until I die if I have anything to say about it, even with health concerns now, I'll still never give it up.

Fear not your age, you're only hitting your stride and potential now.

scboss
12-23-2017, 09:21 PM
I follow 2 split for most of my clients unless they are training sport specific or have limited time in the gym

1. Strength
Upper Push
Legs / Upper Pull
Upper Push
Legs / Upper Pull

I like this split because your lower back only get hit hard 2x a week vs most powerlifting programs where its taxed everyday. I currently train 2 national record holders for powerlifting following this exact split minus 1 month out where we swtich to 3x a week full body program to peak. Also dont be afraid to get in the 12 rep range even if its a 2x12, your joints and stabilizers will thank you later. For strength movement quality and longevity are the main things you should focus on.

2. Size
This is debatable but from what i have found for natural people (im assuming your natural) you need to train everything 2x a week. So depending on your schedule you can follow same split above or if you have 5-6 days you can go
Upper
Lower
Upper Push
Upper Pull
Legs

or run
Upper Push
Upper Pull
Legs
2x in one week

But in the end you will plateau for 2 reasons
1. Nutrition
2. You think 1 program at a time vs how you will train for the next 6 months (this is the biggest mistake you will see in almost every gym) This leads to injury(been there), hitting PRs with shit technique, burning out and turning into the guy that workouts for fun not results.

Best advice i ever got is TRACK EVERYTHING. Measurements, Lifts, How you feel, Nutrition, Pictures etc. Run your core movements for 3 months then adjust. Never go into the gym without a plan and check your ego at the door.