PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with lazy/incompetent co-workers

01RedDX
12-08-2017, 11:32 AM

Hallowed_point
12-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Damn a 31 yr old is a millennial? I thought you had to be born after 1990. Man to man is offensive? Wow. My job involves supervising a team of security guards at times and I totally hear where you're coming from. I've been in your shoes with very similar employees. Document everything and escalate in because it's gonna blow up in your face the longer you keep it private.

phreezee
12-08-2017, 11:52 AM
I'd stand my ground, and tell it like it is to the management. They will likely agree or at the very least keep a closer eye on him to see if what you say is true.

rx7boi
12-08-2017, 11:57 AM
What hallowed_point said.

Documentation anything and everything. A journal is going to provide more credibility because you can reference specific date and times.

Don't rely on your coworkers (who might feel the same way) to back you up either. My experience is that when things blow up and they ask everyone "well, how do you feel about this?" most do not have the balls and clam up, leaving you to fight the battle and be the face on the poster.

Hindsight is 20/20 but IMO you didn't need to ask him what you can do to make it better; that's just validating him.

CompletelyNumb
12-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Because you can count on the fact that he's documenting it all as well. Your attack on his gender will be in there, you assumed he was a man. That was bullying. You also mistreat him. He now feels violated and unsafe.

This isn't even a sarcastic post. Welcome to the new world.

:barf:

revelations
12-08-2017, 12:15 PM
What hallowed_point said.

Documentation anything and everything. A journal is going to provide more credibility because you can reference specific date and times.

Don't rely on your coworkers (who might feel the same way) to back you up either. My experience is that when things blow up and they ask everyone "well, how do you feel about this?" most do not have the balls and clam up, leaving you to fight the battle and be the face on the poster.

This; lots of people are talk but then its time to man up, their balls fall off.

If you really needed to see more evidence, just have him do the job hes supposed to do and when he fucks up, document everything.

If this is a small company, and youre dealing with this guy in a camp situation for eg. he needs to be gone yesterday. Complete waste of time.
If however youre in a larger company, everything takes time, even in a non-union environment.

tonytiger55
12-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Damn a 31 yr old is a millennial? I thought you had to be born after 1990. Man to man is offensive? Wow. My job involves supervising a team of security guards at times and I totally hear where you're coming from. I've been in your shoes with very similar employees. Document everything and escalate in because it's gonna blow up in your face the longer you keep it private.

This.

I had a similar situation. A colleague would belittle me, make fun of my accent, she would bitch about colleagues and humiliate them in front of customers.
I started keeping logs so its like a business case.

Well before I could speak with HR, she got fired. Apparently someone else had been doing the same. :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Document everything he does that you have to fix, or that might be unsafe or unethical or in any way hurting the business, and report it to your/his superior when you have solid evidence. Include things like time spent watching videos while at work. When you talk to your boss about it, approach it in a way that shows you are concerned about the company/safety/quality or whatever applies, rather than sounding like a taddle tale. I'm sure it would help if other coworkers felt the same way and could back you up.

The downside is if he doesn't get fired, he's going to hate all of you haha, but it sounds like he does anyway.

HiTempguy1
12-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Include things like time spent watching videos while at work. When you talk to your boss about it, approach it in a way that shows you are concerned about the company/safety/quality or whatever applies, rather than sounding like a taddle tale.

First sentence is impossible to reconcile with second sentence :rofl: Who the f*&k would actually do that? And what boss' first question out of their mouth wouldn't be "why the f*&k aren't you working rather than monitoring what other employees do?"

And if you are a cunt to the guy, why do you possibly think he'd talk to you in the first place? Regardless of how you feel about his work ethic, you aren't the boss. "Go behind your back"? Wtf are you, 16? Clearly the guy is sick of your shit :rofl:

The answer is to do your damn job and mind your own business.

However, we have learned to just put up with it because if he gets any more than his basic light-to-nonexistent daily workload he fucks it up, every time, which affects everyone's productivity so we'd rather just pick up the slack.

Who's the bitch for picking up his work?

ExtraSlow
12-11-2017, 05:47 PM
I've always heard that competent and motivated tradesmen could pretty much work anywhere, so really, why do you choose to work for such a poorly run outfit? If this idiot worker hasn't had his actions corrected its a pretty damming assessment of the management. Get out.

ipeefreely
12-11-2017, 08:36 PM
His response? The term "man-to-man" is offensive and is a type of bullying behavior. He's 31 years old BTW. :facepalm: Welcome to 2017.

"He" sounds like someone who know how to play the system till "He" gets fired then rinse and repeat at the next job.

I've worked with people like that at various jobs they don't last very long after bring it to attention of someone who can do something about it! :thumbsup:

Good luck! Let us know what happens!:rofl:

botox
12-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Who's the bitch for picking up his work?
I say the exact same thing every time the wife comes home and vents out her anger about a particular staff that is like this and I always say, who's actually the idiot? This so called incompetent person is doing the easiest work and leaving on time while everyone else is picking up the slack doing all the harder work and working late hours and everyone is getting paid the same.

Back to the OP, time to fight fire with fire. Open a case with management/HR and bring others if you can but unlikely they will come because most people pussy out when asked about stuff like this. Then document, document, document. Complaints are nothing if you don't have any evidence. Also stop taking work away from this guy, give him his fair share and don't pick up the slack then document what happens. Also make sure to do this with other staff for fair comparisons on tasks and deadlines to complete so it doesn't look like he's being overloaded for more failures.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2017, 09:28 AM
Until you are willing to let a project fail because of his lack of input, this genius is beating you.

firebane
12-12-2017, 09:32 AM
As I was told by a manager once document, document, document. Dates and information go a long ways and don't let it slide or wait.

My last job people would be put on a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan) and if they didn't smarten up it was leverage for dismissal

Disoblige
12-12-2017, 09:57 AM
The question is, why are you not addressing his incompetency to management if this is indeed the case? I don't know the situation well but it looks like he's shown over a long period of time how bad of a worker he is.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2017, 10:04 AM
why do you choose to work for such a poorly run outfit? If this idiot worker hasn't had his actions corrected its a pretty damming assessment of the management. Get out.
This was the serious and helpful part of my comment.

firebane
12-12-2017, 10:11 AM
The question is, why are you not addressing his incompetency to management if this is indeed the case? I don't know the situation well but it looks like he's shown over a long period of time how bad of a worker he is.

1) Piss poor blind management
2) People don't say shit and choose to pick up the slack leading to unhappy and burned out workers

tirebob
12-12-2017, 12:22 PM
I hate to say it, but it is your own fault for allowing him to get away with sub-par work constantly and covering for him by making up for his shoddy work. When I worked for other companies and I worked with sub-par people, I would call them out on their bullshit face to face and if that didn't work, I would call them out on their bullshit in front of people who can make a difference. If that didn't work I would take it up the ladder until either they fired them or I quit. Life is too short to work with idiots who refuse to do their job or for people who will not back up their solid employees.

Xtrema
12-12-2017, 01:35 PM
I hate to say it, but it is your own fault for allowing him to get away with sub-par work constantly and covering for him by making up for his shoddy work. When I worked for other companies and I worked with sub-par people, I would call them out on their bullshit face to face and if that didn't work, I would call them out on their bullshit in front of people who can make a difference. If that didn't work I would take it up the ladder until either they fired them or I quit. Life is too short to work with idiots who refuse to do their job or for people who will not back up their solid employees.

Solid answer, my take as well.

No point carrying useless tits.

Hallowed_point
12-12-2017, 01:42 PM
He didn't hire the guy. It seems a little harsh to saddle him with the blame of ending up with this knob as a coworker.

firebane
12-12-2017, 02:12 PM
He didn't hire the guy. It seems a little harsh to saddle him with the blame of ending up with this knob as a coworker.

Being as I was part of a hiring team I can say that some people put on a facade during the interview then become completely opposite when hired.

Disoblige
12-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Actually, after reading tirebob's comments I totally agree.

01RedDX, let him fuck up things he is supposed to know how to do, and call him out on it every single time. Maybe he'll just quit. It doesn't sound like he has much people who would support him anyways, so unleash fury. I would do this before it even gets to this point.

nicknolte
12-13-2017, 02:01 AM
You never know if management will be on your side if you raise the issue. Last place I worked at, employees were expected to bring weaker peers on their team up to their level, and people who called out other people were blacklisted from promotion for not being team players :nut::banghead:

Just keep doing your thing and ignore the POS. Eventually he'll get his due or you'll move onto better things.

tirebob
12-13-2017, 08:12 AM
You never know if management will be on your side if you raise the issue. Last place I worked at, employees were expected to bring weaker peers on their team up to their level, and people who called out other people were blacklisted from promotion for not being team players :nut::banghead:

Just keep doing your thing and ignore the POS. Eventually he'll get his due or you'll move onto better things.

I would never work for a company that does not back up their good employees so blacklist away! Don't be a pussy and go find work where you are valued.

revelations
12-13-2017, 08:22 AM

Depends on the size of the company and the industry youre in. Some smaller trade companies wouldnt put up with this shit for 2 hours.

Xtrema
12-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Then move on. There is no point work with incompetency.

rx7boi
12-13-2017, 12:16 PM
I don't agree with that. I think it's a bit short sighted to simply leave a place because someone's not pulling their weight. You got bills to pay, don't you? Everyone needs to learn about their personal tolerances and what they'll accept before throwing in the towel.

Sure, it's way tougher when incompetency is unjustly rewarded. Sometimes management is ignorant about these things and sometimes they outright turn a blind eye to it. It doesn't mean that you can't address these things diplomatically.

The world is a huge place with tons of assholes, bullies, and incompetent individuals who lucked their way into a job. Learn which battles are worth fighting or grow up and get thicker skin because the world is very unfair. It doesn't make you less of a person because we all got shit to deal with in our workplace.

Graham_A_M
12-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Ended up explaining to my boss that I would be able to work exceptionally faster and do a better job if I wasn't tasked with baby sitting this completely useless 60 year old.... the day after he was gone, and I was paired up with this much more competent millwright. Turns out we were to most productive team among the 8 other teams tasked with other duties during that whole plant shutdown. I was quite happy, as it made the world of difference when I actually had a useful co worker. I dont have much patience for idiot co workers, if the other person/people cant pull their own weight, they'll hear about it in a real hurry.

dirtsniffer
12-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Whoa. Welcome back!

Graham_A_M
12-22-2017, 08:12 PM
^ thanks buddy. It's been a long two years lol.