PDA

View Full Version : Compact to Midsize SUV- Recommendations

apkking
12-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Can anybody recommend a good Compact or Mid size, that doesn't cost more in maintenance ? Thinking about buying a Used vehicle.

Thinking about Honda or Toyota or Kia. which is best ? any other make that doesn't cost much ?

Also is it best to trade in your old car with dealership ? Not sure if the dealership values your old car good or will they come up with a cheap price when you trade in.

Has anybody traded their car recently with a dealership, have they came up close to Kijiji's average price ?

bjstare
12-10-2017, 10:06 AM
CRV or Rav4.

Dealership will always offer you a price that is much lower than kijiji, but it will be less hassle than trying to sell your car on kijiji.

corsvette
12-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Honda or Toyota definitely the way to go. Avoid anything Kia unless its under warranty, pay a little extra for a well maintained Honda or toyota and you'll be golden.

ExtraSlow
12-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Don't sell to a dealer, don't buy from a dealer.

Sugarphreak
12-10-2017, 12:25 PM

dirtsniffer
12-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Highlander is a good midsize.

ExtraSlow
12-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Highlander is smart packaging, very useable.

NissanFanBoy
12-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Honda or Toyota...you don't seem like "a car guy", so those brands are reliable, hold their value, and won't give you much in the way of headaches in general.

Stay the hell away from Kia, bad depreciation and hit and miss for reliability.

Yes, the dealer will always bend you over on trade in, if they aren't they are making it up on the price of the car you're getting. If you care about getting the most, sell it on kijiji.

tonytiger55
12-10-2017, 02:19 PM
Whats your budget..?

apkking
12-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your input .

Budget is 20 to 25 K. Willing to get an all wheel drive with heated seats probably. Not sure if I will be get one for that price.

Any recommendations for this price. I will stay away from Kia, but that’s fits the price and comes under 20K for 2015 one.

ExtraSlow
12-10-2017, 05:21 PM
Can get a pretty recent highlander or rav4 for that price.

corsvette
12-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your input .

Budget is 20 to 25 K. Willing to get an all wheel drive with heated seats probably. Not sure if I will be get one for that price.

Any recommendations for this price. I will stay away from Kia, but that’s fits the price and comes under 20K for 2015 one.

There's a very good reason Kia's depreciate incredibly fast. Low grade product = depreciation. Toyota and Honda have very strong resale for the opposite reasons.

apkking
12-13-2017, 09:36 AM
How about Volkswagen Tiguan ? Is it a good one ?

Does anybody drive VW tiguan? Is it better than CRV or RAV4

ExtraSlow
12-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Less reliable and more expensive when it does break

tonytiger55
12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
How about Volkswagen Tiguan ? Is it a good one ?

Does anybody drive VW tiguan? Is it better than CRV or RAV4

How long do you intend to keep the vehicle?

NissanFanBoy
12-13-2017, 11:15 AM

The correct question should be how many headaches are you willing to have with your vehicle lol

If you don't have deep pockets and/or can't do even basic repairs, stay away from VW.

apkking
12-13-2017, 03:17 PM

I am planning to keep it for 8 to 10 years.

apkking
12-13-2017, 03:20 PM
The correct question should be how many headaches are you willing to have with your vehicle lol

If you don't have deep pockets and/or can't do even basic repairs, stay away from VW.

If VW, Kia is out of the table. Then other than CRV or RAV4, there is no other cars that are reliable in my price range (20 to 25K ) with a 2014 or 2015 make/model ???

ExtraSlow
12-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Nope, nothing, research phase over.

G-ZUS
12-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Kia/Hyundai aren't as bad as people make them out to be, due to this you can get a good deal on one. Go check some out - you may like them.

We have 2 in the family, 1 with 132 km and 1 with 180k and no complaints really.

tonytiger55
12-13-2017, 04:08 PM
If VW, Kia is out of the table. Then other than CRV or RAV4, there is no other cars that are reliable in my price range (20 to 25K ) with a 2014 or 2015 make/model ???

If you want reliability then Its a Rav 4 or CRV as said above. Its mostly the engine what you should be looking for if i reliability your concern. I mean other vehicles may have nicer interiors, rides etc, but if the engine is fucked. Your not going anywhere are you? Other will have higher failure rate/average in terms of parts. They may be as reliable but how strict are you with maintenance?

If you have kids, then saftey feature may sway your decision elsewhere.. if you have more cash maybe a Volvo for the safety.

Others vehicles reliable but its the maintenance that will kill you. All I do on my CRV is change the oil $40, thats it. No, A, B, C D service. NOTHING. Hell, ive never changed the coolant, I dont think its ever been changed. It starts first time. The interior is not the greatest compared to a VW etc. But it works. Its so dull to drive, it really is, but when its -30c and it starts...im not complaining then.. Thats the only reason i drive it. It works... thats why.
When you hit the 5 + year mark when the major maintenance starts to happen, thats where you start to get your moneys worth. You defo start to get your moneys worth when you hit 200km mark. Im at 336,000km.

Its Its practical, lots of them around so there are parts. I have a good mechanic (Hu's Garage). But depends on priority. If you want reliability this is top of the list.

Its like that kinda girl thats a bit plump, not great looking. But she will look after your kids, make you dinner and bring you soup when your sick without fail. She will age gracefully.
Or do you want the high maintenance chick, she is fun, looks great, feels great. But she wont answer your calls or return your texts. If you want her to be around...then start splashing the $$$ on her maintenace. Then after 10 years, her looks will fail and her tits start to sag..they dont feel the same do they..?. If you want them to feel the same then you gota pay for her boob job. Looks good, but slightly off on the old body. Wont feel quite the same though right..? Get the picture?

Check out this link and cross reference with other research. The CRV tops it.
http://www.dashboard-light.com/

mzdspd
12-13-2017, 04:10 PM
I am also not sure why there is such a hate on for Kia... There is excellent value to be had if you are buying a used one. Also, according to Consumer reports, they are #3 for reliability.. Toyota and Lexus are #1 and #2.

Also, as far as maintenance goes, most of these vehicles are all going to be affordable with proper maintenance. Just do the proper education to know what needs to be done according to the manufacturer vs what the dealer recommends. This will save you a lot of money on unneeded maintenance.

If I was in your boat, I would look at Rav4/CRV (try to go 2017+ if you can)/CX5/Santafe/Tuscon (2016+)/Sportage (2016+)/Sorento (2016+).

corsvette
12-13-2017, 08:57 PM
I am also not sure why there is such a hate on for Kia... There is excellent value to be had if you are buying a used one. Also, according to Consumer reports, they are #3 for reliability.. Toyota and Lexus are #1 and #2.

Also, as far as maintenance goes, most of these vehicles are all going to be affordable with proper maintenance. Just do the proper education to know what needs to be done according to the manufacturer vs what the dealer recommends. This will save you a lot of money on unneeded maintenance.

If I was in your boat, I would look at Rav4/CRV (try to go 2017+ if you can)/CX5/Santafe/Tuscon (2016+)/Sportage (2016+)/Sorento (2016+).

Kia #3 in INITIAL quality, first 90 days of ownership. Believe me, these things don't hold up very well and end up costing much more for regular maintenance for some reason (like timing belt changes). Take a look at JD Power long term dependability and the rank 13th iirc, well behind Toyota and Honda. Your Rav/Crv is also much better built with superior interior materials.

apkking
12-15-2017, 11:31 AM
If you want reliability then Its a Rav 4 or CRV as said above. Its mostly the engine what you should be looking for if i reliability your concern. I mean other vehicles may have nicer interiors, rides etc, but if the engine is fucked. Your not going anywhere are you? Other will have higher failure rate/average in terms of parts. They may be as reliable but how strict are you with maintenance?

If you have kids, then saftey feature may sway your decision elsewhere.. if you have more cash maybe a Volvo for the safety.

Others vehicles reliable but its the maintenance that will kill you. All I do on my CRV is change the oil $40, thats it. No, A, B, C D service. NOTHING. Hell, ive never changed the coolant, I dont think its ever been changed. It starts first time. The interior is not the greatest compared to a VW etc. But it works. Its so dull to drive, it really is, but when its -30c and it starts...im not complaining then.. Thats the only reason i drive it. It works... thats why.
When you hit the 5 + year mark when the major maintenance starts to happen, thats where you start to get your moneys worth. You defo start to get your moneys worth when you hit 200km mark. Im at 336,000km.

Its Its practical, lots of them around so there are parts. I have a good mechanic (Hu's Garage). But depends on priority. If you want reliability this is top of the list.

Its like that kinda girl thats a bit plump, not great looking. But she will look after your kids, make you dinner and bring you soup when your sick without fail. She will age gracefully.
Or do you want the high maintenance chick, she is fun, looks great, feels great. But she wont answer your calls or return your texts. If you want her to be around...then start splashing the $$$ on her maintenace. Then after 10 years, her looks will fail and her tits start to sag..they dont feel the same do they..?. If you want them to feel the same then you gota pay for her boob job. Looks good, but slightly off on the old body. Wont feel quite the same though right..? Get the picture?

Check out this link and cross reference with other research. The CRV tops it.
http://www.dashboard-light.com/

Thank you for your time and input. really appreciate it.

R-Audi
12-15-2017, 03:43 PM
We have had our Santa Fe for 3-4 years now and its been excellent. No repairs, only scheduled maintenance and we found your dollar went a lot further with one vs. a Toyota/Honda/Ford competitor.

OTown
12-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Don't forget Mazda. Their CX-5 is a decent alternative to Toyota/Honda