PDA

View Full Version : My bike won't start

Shaolin
03-24-2004, 09:00 PM
just threw the battery in tonight, the battery's fine.. turn the key, oil light on, neutral light on, headlight on, all that jazz.

press the ignition, urch urch urch urch, 5 seconds later, i stop..

pull the choke a bit.. press ignition again.. same deal

pull the choke a bit more.

same deal.

pull the choke more..

same deal

anyways, any ideas?

bookem
03-24-2004, 09:10 PM
did you just pull it out of storage? when I got mine out, i had to reconnect the gas tank and let it sit for a couple hours before it would start.

Shaolin
03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
the only thing i pulled out was the battery.. i didn't pull anything else out

Neons4life
03-24-2004, 09:29 PM
you should try jump starting it.

go to top of a hill(or have a good winded friend push really fast.

be in 1st gear with clutch pulled in

then just dump the clutch,

VROOM, should start

Shaolin
03-24-2004, 09:42 PM
actually i just went and plugged the charger into the battery while it's in the bike.. went and watched some tv, came back just now, the thing almost turned.. gonna try again in another hour.. if it works i'm gonna go rip around for a half hour or so.. maybe bring it in this weekend to get it tuned up so i can start the season early.

thanx for the help though guys.

PS. I was going to jump start it, but i have 2 cars to move and i'm too lazy to move them both :D

Ducati
03-26-2004, 12:44 AM
All good suggestions. However, I had that happen. It was a gummed up carb. I did drain the tank, but did not drain the float bowls.
Have you ever seen what gasoline turns into after a year? It took a week of soaking in solvent to clean the carbs, with lots of compressed air, too.

Maybe the timing is off.
Is it getting a spark when you ground a plug against the frame?

The weirdest no-start was when a friend stored his 1981 1000 Katana at my place for the winter, and it did not start in the spring despite the battery being brand new and full of amperage, and we completely drained all fuel in the early winter. Big fat spark, too. A fucking maddening mystery.
Then, after a near starter-frying series of cranks "Phoomph..." followed by a little distant thunk. A dead mouse came rocketing out of the 4 into 1 Kerker.
Well, it was dead when it hit the neigbors house.

The big Kat then fired right up like it was mid Summer, and purred like a kitten.

redevil
03-26-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm having the same problem, but mine is fuel injected. Trying to charge up the battery for a couple of hours and then we will see. Good Luck!

Shaolin
03-26-2004, 01:36 PM
hey redevil, is it possible to lower the 600RR? I'm going to see if my cousin will sell his, but I can't duck walk with it.. if i can lower it by 2 inches, i'd be golden :D

redevil
03-27-2004, 01:33 PM
You can adjust the suspension but I left mine the way it is factory. Were you able to start your bike? If not make sure you drain out the old gas and put in new gas.

ThE tV 8 mE
03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
All good suggestions. However, I had that happen. It was a gummed up carb. I did drain the tank, but did not drain the float bowls.
Have you ever seen what gasoline turns into after a year? It took a week of soaking in solvent to clean the carbs, with lots of compressed air, too.

Maybe the timing is off.
Is it getting a spark when you ground a plug against the frame?

The weirdest no-start was when a friend stored his 1981 1000 Katana at my place for the winter, and it did not start in the spring despite the battery being brand new and full of amperage, and we completely drained all fuel in the early winter. Big fat spark, too. A fucking maddening mystery.
Then, after a near starter-frying series of cranks "Phoomph..." followed by a little distant thunk. A dead mouse came rocketing out of the 4 into 1 Kerker.
Well, it was dead when it hit the neigbors house.

The big Kat then fired right up like it was mid Summer, and purred like a kitten.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Shaolin
03-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by redevil
You can adjust the suspension but I left mine the way it is factory. Were you able to start your bike? If not make sure you drain out the old gas and put in new gas.

yeah I got it started.. it's actually running right now as we speak.. i'm going to take it for a rip in a bit.. gonna let it run for another 15 minutes or so and then head to petro and get some gas.. and then off to blackfoot and get myself some new gloves!!

Shaolin
03-27-2004, 04:30 PM
ok well now it's running for about 1/2 hour now.. the idling is just GOD AWFUL.. i put it into first gear and it just dies after i try to give it some gas.. is it a bad gas problem? anyone know?

ThE tV 8 mE
03-27-2004, 04:54 PM
maybe a dirty fuel filter?? :confused:

Shaolin
03-27-2004, 05:14 PM
i just put in some new gas.. it seems to be idling a hell of a lot better now.. i'm going to see if i can take it for a spin..

Ducati
03-29-2004, 12:17 AM
After your putt, pull the plugs and check to see what they look like. What colour are the deposits on them? Are they wet?

A bit of graphite gray deposit is normal. Black deposits are caused by the mixture of fuel to air being too rich. Reddish, primer-coloured deposits are usually an indicator of too much heat or too lean. If there are signs of the plug electrode being burned, that is also too lean, only more serious. Too lean is far worse than too rich, as it can burn a hole in a piston top or a valve seat. Too rich, and you'll merely foul plugs.

Fresh gas and a fast blast should cure everything.

sml
04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
try some octane boosters in the fuel tank. Fuel might be stale after sitting there for a few months. wouldn't hurt to give it an oil change either...