PDA

View Full Version : SA's make 6 figures (split)

Hallowed_point
12-11-2017, 11:26 AM
If you're crazy enough to say yes to every brake/clutch fluid flush, throttle body service, injector cleaning you deserve the big bill. SA's aren't making 6 figures without it.

killramos
12-11-2017, 12:04 PM
SA's make 6 figures? :nut:

max_boost
12-11-2017, 12:09 PM
SA's make 6 figures? :nut:

You wanna know how much those finance/business managers make? How about the owner? lol

rage2
12-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Good luxury car sales people make $200k+. You move an S class/7 series and it's a ridiculous payday for 1 car. Depending on options, it's like 20-30k commission. :eek:

dj_rice
12-11-2017, 12:33 PM
You wanna know how much those finance/business managers make? How about the owner? lol

Good SA's easily hitting $120K.
Finance/BM's, gotta pay for their yacht, winter AMG beater somehow

G-ZUS
12-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Good luxury car sales people make $200k+. You move an S class/7 series and it's a ridiculous payday for 1 car. Depending on options, it's like 20-30k commission. :eek:

:eek:

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Serious? I had no idea it was that high for the ultra-luxury segment. Most sales people I've talked to made it sound like they only make a few hundred per car or so. That made sense to me given that even high end dealers seem to be willing to hire literally anyone with zero experience or brand knowledge. I guess it's like anything where the top 1% makes most of the money.

The last MB salesperson I talked to at Downtown Mercedes had been working for 15 years as a high end German car salesman. He didn't even know a C450 existed, thought there was such thing as a C45, didn't know what transmission was in the C43, etc. Blows my mind that high-end dealerships keep people like that around who can't even answer the most basic questions for the customer. Then I hear some of them might be making $20-30K if they sell an S class, holy shit.

max_boost
12-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Good SA's easily hitting $120K.
Finance/BM's, gotta pay for their yacht, winter AMG beater somehow

What about you bro? What department are you in? haha

killramos
12-11-2017, 12:54 PM
I think university really is for fools...

shakalaka
12-11-2017, 01:28 PM
I think university really is for fools...

Yup.

If making money is the only goal then there are many other ways to do that than going to university.

you&me
12-11-2017, 01:35 PM

Sure, good sales people can make $200k(+) a year, but they're not getting there $20-30k at a time :rofl:

Strider
12-11-2017, 01:40 PM
So are the publicly available numbers completely off base? Or is it one of those industries like Realtors where the top 10% make 90% of the cash?

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2017, 01:47 PM
^^^ Wow, that's brutal. Not to mention "most people in this job move on after 20 years"...

Those median numbers though may not be representative of a high volume luxury dealer, who knows.

max_boost
12-11-2017, 01:52 PM
The Automotive managers I know make 3-4X that average. :eek: If I buy a car from them they better waive all the fees and gimme a bro deal but not a bro deal like dj_rice haha

you&me
12-11-2017, 01:58 PM
So are the publicly available numbers completely off base? Or is it one of those industries like Realtors where the top 10% make 90% of the cash?

A service advisor and finance manager aren't exactly the same as a salesman, but nonetheless... Yes, it is a lot like realtor where there are a few very successful sales people in a sea of others barely treading water. The difference in real estate is that the pay plans (commission) is fairly standard across the board, whereas in automotive sales, a good veteran sales person can get quite creative with their pay plan, including bonuses for hitting certain metrics, profit sharing, etc (those instances are few and far between though). I'm still not aware of any sales person hitting a $20-20k pay day on an S-Class or 7-Series; the profit just isn't there for that kind of commission... Once you get into the mega-exotics, new Rolls, Lambo, etc, then maybe, but even at that level, commissions like that would still be an exception rather than the norm.

Sorry for the OT... Fuck shop supplies hahaha

rage2
12-11-2017, 09:01 PM
Sorry, I should be more clear in that I’m not taking about a base S class, but a V12 model. You sell a loaded S65 at MSRP which is approaching $300k, you’re walking off with $30k. At least.

If you think there aren’t any margins in this price range, wait till September next year, search in Canada for a 2018 S600 sitting in inventory, and see how much they’re willing to discount.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2017, 09:30 PM
All I know is that when I was discussing a potential position with a car salsebro I know, I called $155k/yr salary "big shot money" and he was quite dismissive.

Never seen his T4 or anything but I'd guess he expects to make significantly more than that.

People talk about other industries not paying oil and gas money but it seems lots of them do.

you&me
12-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Sorry, I should be more clear in that I’m not taking about a base S class, but a V12 model. You sell a loaded S65 at MSRP which is approaching $300k, you’re walking off with $30k. At least.

If you think there aren’t any margins in this price range, wait till September next year, search in Canada for a 2018 S600 sitting in inventory, and see how much they’re willing to discount.

I'm familiar with the margins. But there's a difference between gross margin and what they dealer is able (and willing) to pay in commissions. Besides, most of the money from discounts comes from holdbacks and corporate. It's not like the dealer is just sitting on a pile of profit but they wait until the end of the year to finally cut them loose.

The more generous pay plans tend to be in the 25% of net range. And yes, some top-level SAs can get a piece of hold backs (rare) and factory money (slightly less rare), if they've hit certain targets throughout the year. And that is only if those don't have to go to the client to close the deal! Think about it; even if the dealership was paying the SA 50% of GROSS, a $30k pay day on a $300,000 S65 would mean the dealer's gross margin was 20%, which could be the case with hold backs and trunk money. But then a commission like that would still require the dealership to pay their SA half of their total gross and, more importantly, it would mean they didn't have to throw all of those incentives at the buyer to close the deal. If that was the case, that the SA closed his client at full pop, then I guess he would would certainly deserve his $30k commission, but we're talking about a once-a-year-in-the-whole-country sort of scenario. It's a slightly different story at the Lambo, Rolls, Bug stores, but that's just because the figures are larger :bigpimp:

So aside from those mega-rare cases on the full retail sales of S65s, the margins can still be decent enough that a top-level sales guy can be making sales with commissions well into the 4-digits regularly and be doing that on multiple deals a month.

dirtsniffer
12-11-2017, 10:54 PM
Can confirm. In good years a relatively crappy advisor could make 90k at a German shop. I thought about doing it if I was laid off. Not sure if I would sleep well though. Much prefer business to business.

dj_rice
12-12-2017, 01:22 AM
What about you bro? What department are you in? haha

I'm on the Parts side. The poverty side of any dealership. Its always Service Dept and Finance/Sales making the big big $$ which is understandable as they do the selling to the customer but the salary gap is huge.

Finance Managers, in a high volume luxury dealer, probably $200K+ easily.
GSM $250-400?
General Manager 400-600K?

As for the $20-30K commission for selling an S-class. I'm not too sure. Possible perhaps. I just know one of our Sales Guys sold a 18 E63, customer spec'd every option. Commission was capped at $4K.

There is a ton of bonus money from the manufacturer themselves. Mercedes-Benz Canada, offers $500k-$1 million every quarter for your dealership to land in the top 10 across Canada for CSI. Do whatever it takes for happy customer surveys to come back 100%. 48 dealers fighting for that bonus every quarter.

Hallowed_point
12-12-2017, 08:08 AM
Funny how this split off. I should say that *some* SA's make 100 k plus. It's not the norm. What I meant by my post is that if they want to make that kind of money, they have to push throttle body services and injector cleanings to customers like Mar in hopes they bite.

rage2
12-12-2017, 09:03 AM
I'm on the Parts side. The poverty side of any dealership. Its always Service Dept and Finance/Sales making the big big $$ which is understandable as they do the selling to the customer but the salary gap is huge.
It's funny how much more money sales guys makes compared to service, when it's service that makes the most profit for the dealership by a huge margin. Service side literally prints money for the owner. And ya, parts guys just get shafted, unless the dealer principal is generous.

As for the $20-30K commission for selling an S-class. I'm not too sure. Possible perhaps. I just know one of our Sales Guys sold a 18 E63, customer spec'd every option. Commission was capped at $4K.
Some cars are definitely capped at commission. Mid priced vehicles that sells itself such as the C63 and E63 etc, I wouldn't be surprised if they're capped. It's the cars that needs sales/networking skills to move that makes the big bucks. S550, probably not going to get much commission, but the V12 cars such as S600 and S65 are way the fuck overpriced land yachts with massive margins, and it takes skills to convince someone to buy one at retail, that's why they pay out the most commission. They're so overpriced that you and I can go into a Benz dealership and knock off 30k off the purchase price even without any factory incentives.

Anyways, these big money sales guys aren't exactly rare either. The guy I know says 1/3 to 1/2 the guys in his region (Ontario) are clearing $200k. For Calgary's market, I don't know anyone here well enough to spill the beans, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lone Star and Hyatt has 2 or 3 guys each making this kinda money.

Aleks
12-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Funny how this split off. I should say that *some* SA's make 100 k plus. It's not the norm. What I meant by my post is that if they want to make that kind of money, they have to push throttle body services and injector cleanings to customers like Mar in hopes they bite.

I don't see SAs doing anything different when they do that compared to a say waiter trying to sell you extras with your meal when you go out eat. The higher the bill, the higher the tip for them.

Hallowed_point
12-12-2017, 09:16 AM
I don't see SAs doing anything different when they do that compared to a say waiter trying to sell you extras with your meal when you go out eat. The higher the bill, the higher the tip for them.
Me neither. I mean, there is the moral dilemma though of selling unnecessary services with the "safety" angle thrown in the persuade easily spooked retirees or women. I think that is a clear distinction from a waiter at the key trying
to sell me an extra glass of Chianti.

Chester
12-12-2017, 09:26 AM

Anyways, these big money sales guys aren't exactly rare either. The guy I know says 1/3 to 1/2 the guys in his region (Ontario) are clearing $200k. For Calgary's market, I don't know anyone here well enough to spill the beans, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lone Star and Hyatt has 2 or 3 guys each making this kinda money.

I know a few in Calgary clearing 200k easy.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Plus that extra Chianti is useful

sarah_t34
12-12-2017, 09:38 AM
I work in a dealership as well (in parts) and one of our service advisors makes 7k on a bad month (per month), and 12k on her good months. They also receive monthly and yearly bonuses that are service department specific for hitting a goal. Yet we hit a record month in parts that has never even been heard of, and it's like a pat on the back. Such divide...

killramos
12-12-2017, 09:58 AM
So wait, when people say SA, which are they talking about? Sales or Service :rofl:

Or is everyone except parts at a dealer making mad Skrilla.

I need to open a dealership apparently...

dj_rice
12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
So wait, when people say SA, which are they talking about? Sales or Service :rofl:

SA= Service Advisor.

Buster
12-12-2017, 10:13 AM

I dont know any not-rich DPs.

JRSC00LUDE
12-12-2017, 10:14 AM
I work in a dealership as well (in parts) and one of our service advisors makes 7k on a bad month (per month), and 12k on her good months. They also receive monthly and yearly bonuses that are service department specific for hitting a goal. Yet we hit a record month in parts that has never even been heard of, and it's like a pat on the back. Such divide...

I assume it's because parts margins have to be so thin there's not a lot of profit in the department to go around, even at record sales. Labour is where the money is made, you know your parts and where they go in a car so start applying in service and move up the food chain yo.

JRSC00LUDE
12-12-2017, 10:18 AM
It's funny how much more money sales guys makes compared to service, when it's service that makes the most profit for the dealership by a huge margin. Service side literally prints money for the owner. And ya, parts guys just get shafted, unless the dealer principal is generous.

Agreed, two of my closer friends own several dealerships between them and there's little money in actually selling cars it's definitely all about the service dept. There's huge incentive to move units by the manufacturer though and if it takes blowout prices to hit those targets, you get them. Or such is my rudimentary understanding of it all.

flipstah
12-12-2017, 10:18 AM

LOL it got confusing for me too.

r3ccOs
12-12-2017, 10:26 AM
I assume it's because parts margins have to be so thin there's not a lot of profit in the department to go around, even at record sales. Labour is where the money is made, you know your parts and where they go in a car so start applying in service and move up the food chain yo.

at the end of the day, any area that "creates" a sales opportunity typically have an incented, variable compensation structure... Now, I'd reckon that here in Calgary that a lot more people just say "okay, sure" especially while the car is still within its warranty.

You're kinda stuck in a rock and a hard place, and though if you get serviced with any licensed mechanic or shop with the right paperwork, you should't be denied warranty, I can tell you its a pain in the ass. I know the fleet manager at Lloyd does this, he doesn't care and purchases a gold package maintenance in advance (doubtful though with prepurchased maintenance, the trucks see the same recommendations you get as an individual customer)

Thing about shady salesmen in general that I in particular despise, is the fact that other than creating work and generating taxable revenues... what "value" do they add? Car purchases and service are the most ambiguous process with little to no transparency of what the actual role the middle man plays. Meanwhile this archaic almost sales model is still how the manufacturers want to offset the SG&A associated to sales.

Shady sales people don't help progress other than themselves... by selling unnecessary services and associated parts, all they're doing is burning the customer's money and accelerating the use of consumables.

sarah_t34
12-12-2017, 10:41 AM

I've been thinking about it. Seems like the ones that do the best here are ones who try to sell spark plugs to a diesel vehicle. And that was someone who's been in the industry for at least 10 years now.

mr2mike
12-12-2017, 10:51 AM
People talk about other industries not paying oil and gas money but it seems lots of them do.
Can't believe coming from O&G and saying, I'm in the wrong industry. Working harder and making way under $200k/yr.
At some point those high end cars sell themselves IMO.
You don't go kick tires on a new Lambo and say, I'll try the used market or try another dealership in town.

killramos
12-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Too be fair, I am not insinuating by any means that people in that industry making fuck odd money don’t work hard. Or even work harder than I do. You see the kind of shitty after hours shit that a good salesman or service advisor deals with?

I think it’s like real estate agents, the ones making fuck of money are the ones taking your calls at 2AM.

Hallowed_point
12-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Too be fair, I am not insinuating by any means that people in that industry making fuck odd money don’t work hard. Or even work harder than I do. You see the kind of shitty after hours shit that a good salesman or service advisor deals with?

I think it’s like real estate agents, the ones making fuck of money are the ones taking your calls at 2AM.
Yes

ercchry
12-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Can't believe coming from O&G and saying, I'm in the wrong industry. Working harder and making way under $200k/yr.
You don't go kick tires on a new Lambo and say, I'll try the used market or try another dealership in town.

Those customers still want a buying experience though... and that labour costs money. Issue in that space is volume though... the commission structure has to be enough to give someone a living wage or retention will be an issue. The outliers making the big bucks are the ones that are actually putting in the hours and building their own brand and networking with the right people to bring people through the door that would usually go to a competitor, or not be looking to buy in that space to begin with.

Sales can sure be a stressful way to make a living, can take years to build up the reputation and network needed to become successful. If you are getting paid well, you probably earned it

Hallowed_point
12-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Those customers still want a buying experience though... and that labour costs money. Issue in that space is volume though... the commission structure has to be enough to give someone a living wage or retention will be an issue. The outliers making the big bucks are the ones that are actually putting in the hours and building their own brand and networking with the right people to bring people through the door that would usually go to a competitor, or not be looking to buy in that space to begin with.

Sales can sure be a stressful way to make a living, can take years to build up the reputation and network needed to become successful. If you are getting paid well, you probably earned it

Totally agree. They earn it if you ask me. A huge sacrifice to the personal life to make a lot of cash on commission. No 2 hour lunch breaks, no weekends off.

mzdspd
12-12-2017, 11:12 AM

Not to mention the shitty customers that salesman/SA deal with..

My dad was a service advisor for a few years and he would tell lots of stories of people yelling and screaming at them because their warranty was denied after their engine blew up when they hadn't changed their oil in 30k. And then there were lots of people that just did not understand cars and the costs associated with repairs.

bjstare
12-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Agreed.

r3ccOs
12-12-2017, 12:44 PM
Not to mention the shitty customers that salesman/SA deal with..

My dad was a service advisor for a few years and he would tell lots of stories of people yelling and screaming at them because their warranty was denied after their engine blew up when they hadn't changed their oil in 30k. And then there were lots of people that just did not understand cars and the costs associated with repairs.

QFT

that said though... BMW oil changes run some ridiculous 20K lifecycle, and wonder why there are valvetrain issues post warrant at 80k and sometimes you'll have a service advisor like the one I had, who replaced all my brakes/rotors + flush because it was down to 5-6mm without consulting with me

mr2mike
12-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Totally agree. They earn it if you ask me. A huge sacrifice to the personal life to make a lot of cash on commission. No 2 hour lunch breaks, no weekends off.

If this was about a Fort Mac rig worker pulling 12 hr days, working away from their family for months at a time, not sleeping in their own home, banking $200k/yr, you and everyone else would say how they're so overpaid and it's unfair.

Disoblige
12-12-2017, 01:50 PM
... and sometimes you'll have a service advisor like the one I had, who replaced all my brakes/rotors + flush because it was down to 5-6mm without consulting with me
What did you do in this situation? Paid? Or tell them you didn't agree to it and put back the old parts? Haha

TomcoPDR
12-12-2017, 02:07 PM

I wonder who calls their realtor at two in the morning. Lol

shakalaka
12-12-2017, 02:16 PM
I've had 18-19 year old clients charged with stupid offences (assaults etc) making $200K+ (albeit a few years ago) that made me think about the point of going to university for 7+ years. As I get older though, I realize the difference between the long-run game vs the short haul etc. Also, they did not have a life and worked ridiculous long hours etc....that part tho I can understand cause not like I don't (really should) do that. lol

rage2
12-12-2017, 02:23 PM
I've had 18-19 year old clients charged with stupid offences (assaults etc) making $200K+ (albeit a few years ago) that made me think about the point of going to university for 7+ years. As I get older though, I realize the difference between the long-run game vs the short haul etc. Also, they did not have a life and worked ridiculous long hours etc....that part tho I can understand cause not like I don't (really should) do that. lol
Don't you, as a lawyer, not have a life and work ridiculous long hours? Or is that just in the movies?

I'd say 20 years ago, car sales would definitely qualify for a long-run game career. Today, I'd say that the end is coming in the next 20 or so years as personal transportation becomes a niche.

flipstah
12-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Yeah, but it's better to be in your shoes than theirs lol.

tirebob
12-12-2017, 02:32 PM
I would never want a service advisors job. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. People who show up because something is wrong want a price, but until things are torn down and taken apart it is often really tough to always give accurate final costs. People are always hoping for the best but when a $600 job becomes an $1100 job because a caliper was seized or brakes lines were leaking etc, you are the asshole.

What's even worse are those unreasonable people who figure that you are responsible for unrelated things because you are the last person to touch the car. I have had a person who I fixed a flat for come back the next day because their radio stopped working and it must be our fault because it was working when he brought the car in for a tire repair! OMG!!!

shakalaka
12-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Don't you, as a lawyer, not have a life and work ridiculous long hours? Or is that just in the movies?

Well..let's just say that I could be always be doing more...but you gotta enjoy life too right. But every now and then a big case comes along which makes you lose your sleep and rest and you have no choice but to work long hours and always stress. I've got a couple like that going at the moment and they are sort of in preliminary stages but they will get to that point soon enough.

dj_rice
12-12-2017, 02:35 PM
What's even worse are those unreasonable people who figure that you are responsible for unrelated things because you are the last person to touch the car. I have had a person who I fixed a flat for come back the next day because their radio stopped working and it must be our fault because it was working when he brought the car in for a tire repair! OMG!!!

The "ever since" club :)

Buster
12-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Well..let's just say that I could be always be doing more...but you gotta enjoy life too right. But every now and then a big case comes along which makes you lose your sleep and rest and you have no choice but to work long hours and always stress. I've got a couple like that going at the moment and they are sort of in preliminary stages but they will get to that point soon enough.

I get a bit of morbid joy from stressing out lawyers on transactions.

thinmyster
12-12-2017, 03:03 PM
If this was about a Fort Mac rig worker pulling 12 hr days, working away from their family for months at a time, not sleeping in their own home, banking $200k/yr, you and everyone else would say how they're so overpaid and it's unfair.

Yup only on beyond:

200K oil rig worker working 100's of km away from home, 12hr shifts, days/nights, often in freezing weather = Overpaid
200K MB SA taking 2am calls (LOL) = seems about right

roopi
12-12-2017, 03:05 PM

They get that same joy billing you.

94boosted
12-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Me neither. I mean, there is the moral dilemma though of selling unnecessary services with the "safety" angle thrown in the persuade easily spooked retirees or women. I think that is a clear distinction from a waiter at the key trying
to sell me an extra glass of Chianti.

Or when they try to tell you that the manufacturers service schedule is no good and you need to follow the dealerships service schedule if you want to preserve your warranty. Shady f**ks.

ercchry
12-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Yup only on beyond:

200K oil rig worker working 100's of km away from home, 12hr shifts, days/nights, often in freezing weather = Overpaid
200K MB SA taking 2am calls (LOL) = seems about right

Celebrities over paid too? At the end of the day they’re just sales people :dunno:

Market dictates pay.. if lots of people are able to do a task it’s lower paying, sales isn’t a tangible thing... it’s lots to do with feels, you have to be likeable no matter what, you can’t tell people to fuck off it’s not really comparable to a labour job

Labour is historically low paying, due to people without qualifications willing to take any wage just to have a job, issue is as a country becomes more established the population gets more educated, more opportunities for employment and the willing labour pool shrinks, which means wages for the least attractive jobs had to increase, hours are also basically unlimited too due to cost of reaching site and lack of workers which created a high paying environment.

I think the white vs blue collar divide stems from a lack of experience on both sides. At the end of the day... who cares?! You do you... but I do see the whole income thing being more of a dick measuring contest on the blue collar side.. but then again I spend a lot of time out in revy, the snowmobile crowd has jaded me :rofl:

Pacman
12-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Finance Managers, in a high volume luxury dealer, probably $200K+ easily.
GSM $250-400?
General Manager 400-600K?

I had no clue GSM's were making that kind of money. I figured 180k to 200k would be the number. That's significantly more than what other equivalent positions would pay in any other sales related industry I can think of.

you&me
12-12-2017, 03:21 PM

I know this was sort of tongue-in-cheek, but at the end of the day, the sort of transactions that Buster is talking about, the legal fees are peanuts ;)

I had no clue GSM's were making that kind of money. I figured 180k to 200k would be the number. That's significantly more than what other equivalent positions would pay in any other sales related industry I can think of.

Management, and in particular GM pay is highly dependent on targets and bonuses. The numbers posted by dj_patm are definitely outliers, but not uncommon for GMs are larger stores. If you think about it, a GM at a larger dealership is overseeing a staff of ~100 and managing an entity that will do $50++ million in annual revenue.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-12-2017, 03:28 PM
I don’t think I could go back to being a SA. Constant pressure to upsell everything possible not just from management but techs as well. Don’t sell much and don’t earn that much (which was me most of the time). Couldn’t push myself to sell things I didn’t believe in especially to trusted customers, because didn’t want to have to live with myself as that person.

The good people seem to be the ones that have just a little bit of knowledge but aren’t car people, they tend to sell lots I find.

HiTempguy1
12-12-2017, 03:47 PM
The good people seem to be the ones that have just a little bit of knowledge but aren’t car people, they tend to sell lots I find.

The blind leading the blind. Ignorant people make reaaaaallllllyyyy good sales people (in any industry) as 99% of their customers are just as ignorant. They don't care how/why it works, they just care if it works (or doesn't actually change anything but gives them good feels).

Strider
12-12-2017, 03:48 PM
I can totally understand a really good sales associate making $200k+ at a luxury dealership. The SA making $100k seems off though, nobody has ever tried to upsell me anything in service... maybe they can tell I'm a cheap fuck.

Buster
12-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Haha. But I'm not the one paying the bill.

bjstare
12-12-2017, 04:27 PM
[snip]
I think the white vs blue collar divide stems from a lack of experience on both sides. At the end of the day... who cares?! You do you... but I do see the whole income thing being more of a dick measuring contest on the blue collar side.. but then again I spend a lot of time out in revy, the snowmobile crowd has jaded me :rofl:

I don't have a ton of close friends that do blue collar work, but lots of acquaintances that do, and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly some dudes volunteer up their pay rates for whatever job they're doing. This one dude started bragging about what he makes within like 10 mins of meeting me. Sorry homie, but your jman electrician rates aren't as baller as you think.

sarah_t34
12-12-2017, 04:35 PM

One time our dealership made the mistake of posting a job for Service Manager on kijiji with exposed salary of 250-300k a year (depending on experience). All the staff in the building saw this and started to ask questions. It was taken down immediately. But damage done.

C4S
12-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Sadly ... only 20% gross/profit goes to Sales person commission (some Ultra high end Brand dealership only 10-15% from gross) .. and yes, 9 to 10% profit margin in Vehicle, assuming no extra overhead cost, pack cost .. and assuming every buyer pays full price and don't negotiate .. So, $50K car, $5K margin, $1K goes to "House" $4K left, take $2K discount, only $2K left, commission = $400 simple math! (Not talking factory incentive cash discount)

Of course, many new rich people from China will pay over MSRP .. and the gross and commission is huge .. such as those G Wagon 4x4 .. one just sold for $55K over MSRP so we are talking $90K Profit! :eek::eek:

I hardly recall receive any commission with 4 figure .. :facepalm::facepalm:

However, it is fact that Technicians make more money than Sales ...

Don't believe me? Come see my T4! :banghead::banghead:

It is not a good job, not even close, any young people I know, I ask them to study hard, dont' even consider to sell cars.. period.. (Vancouver is difference story ... )

(P.S. I got $150 bonus for Christmas last week! LOL :rofl::rofl:)

TomcoPDR
12-12-2017, 04:49 PM
I don't have a ton of close friends that do blue collar work, but lots of acquaintances that do, and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly some dudes volunteer up their pay rates for whatever job they're doing. This one dude started bragging about what he makes within like 10 mins of meeting me. Sorry homie, but your jman electrician rates aren't as baller as you think.

Would white collar not offer up how much they make just as quickly as well?

max_boost
12-12-2017, 04:50 PM
The girls I date who say I work too much, I hope you think of me when no one is paying for your shit. :rofl:

shakalaka
12-12-2017, 04:52 PM

I don't do transactional law at all so don't be getting any joy off of me.

killramos
12-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Small sample size, but I would say no.

Can’t say I have ever known a white collar person to tell me what they made, unwritten rule kind of thing? Even similar ranked people at same organization. If anyone was expectedly forward about the subject I would refer them to the engineering salary survey for statistics. Never my own.

I could tell you what all of my blue collar friends make though, and not because I have asked them they just all talk about it a lot.

White collar people brag about how much they make by showing pictures of their cars and houses :rofl:

It sounds weird but has been scarily consistent. Believe me or don’t idc :dunno:

bjstare
12-12-2017, 05:03 PM

RE: white collar people - Literally not one time has someone I've met (or even my close friends for that matter) ever brought that up, let alone in the first convo I've had with them. I'm not trying to judge either group, just stating what my personal experience has been.

Buster
12-12-2017, 05:07 PM

There is always, always a bigger baller. Good idea to never let your baller status.... Whatever it is.... Driver your ego.

max_boost
12-12-2017, 05:10 PM
^^^

So true lol and as I get older it's even more apparent lol

bjstare
12-12-2017, 05:12 PM
There is always, always a bigger baller. Good idea to never let your baller status.... Whatever it is.... Driver your ego.

:werd:

TomcoPDR
12-12-2017, 05:22 PM
The girls I date who say I work too much, I hope you think of me when no one is paying for your shit. :rofl:

:bigpimp:

And do you think of them, the $$ you save without paying for them? I go through those phases too, feels like everytime you go out, it's like a 50% discount.

max_boost
12-12-2017, 05:25 PM
:bigpimp:

And do you think of them, the $$ you save without paying for them? I go through those phases too, feels like everytime you go out, it's like a 50% discount.

Yea bro, it's always boxing day when single haha but just gotta change the mindset from scarcity to abundance and life is gold lol

HiTempguy1
12-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Lot of it comes down to many things.

One is that most blue collar is hourly typically, so a lot of people will brag about hourly rates. So you don't actually know how much they make a year, still leaves you guessing.

Another is that even though lots of workers nowadays aren't unionized, you still are working in a very team-orientated environment. In fact, if you are on site (especially in construction) it will be extremely rare you are ever working by yourself. Its not office cooler chit-chat when you have the same guy working with you for a year plus. Point is, there is a lot of the "hey brother" type camaraderie that you see in union type settings.

Further to that, there is usually a pretty standardized pay scale. 1st year is this, 2nd year is this, 3rd is this, etc. So really, nobody is going to swing their dick around to people in the same company/contractor group, but between sites you definitely see it.

And finally, its just simply attitude. As someone who works in both the office and field (much, much more office and small project management lately), anyone on salary is super defensive/private about pay (which really, who cares, I don't, its just a general observation). And it comes down to the attitude, which I find among salary workers is that they are competing against each other to get the raise, to move up, vs the blue collar guys who work together and understand that transparency in pay is much better for the employees.

It's even been shown with sunshine lists for the gov that it actually causes wage INCREASES when people see how they are getting f*&ked. Its a common joke around here that guys in the field get paid quite a bit more than the salaried engineers in the office, plus they are asked to do lots of overtime with little compensation (informal "banked OT" system).

So my thoughts on that.

Service Advisors make bank if they aren't at a shitty dealership. High stress job though, long hours. Weirdly enough, most seem like f*&king morons, but I assume that is because they are buddy hires by the upper management. Some of the stuff I've seen and heard from techs at dealerships blows my mind :nut:

Buster
12-12-2017, 05:38 PM
^^^

So true lol and as I get older it's even more apparent lol

It's also why I always follow the motto: "don't knock another man's hustle."

Smile, nod, be happy that the dude is proud of his pay.

- - - Updated - - -

Lot of it comes down to many things.

One is that most blue collar is hourly typically, so a lot of people will brag about hourly rates. So you don't actually know how much they make a year, still leaves you guessing.

Another is that even though lots of workers nowadays aren't unionized, you still are working in a very team-orientated environment. In fact, if you are on site (especially in construction) it will be extremely rare you are ever working by yourself. Its not office cooler chit-chat when you have the same guy working with you for a year plus. Point is, there is a lot of the "hey brother" type camaraderie that you see in union type settings.

Further to that, there is usually a pretty standardized pay scale. 1st year is this, 2nd year is this, 3rd is this, etc. So really, nobody is going to swing their dick around to people in the same company/contractor group, but between sites you definitely see it.

And finally, its just simply attitude. As someone who works in both the office and field (much, much more office and small project management lately), anyone on salary is super defensive/private about pay (which really, who cares, I don't, its just a general observation). And it comes down to the attitude, which I find among salary workers is that they are competing against each other to get the raise, to move up, vs the blue collar guys who work together and understand that transparency in pay is much better for the employees.

It's even been shown with sunshine lists for the gov that it actually causes wage INCREASES when people see how they are getting f*&ked. Its a common joke around here that guys in the field get paid quite a bit more than the salaried engineers in the office, plus they are asked to do lots of overtime with little compensation (informal "banked OT" system).

So my thoughts on that.

Service Advisors make bank if they aren't at a shitty dealership. High stress job though, long hours. Weirdly enough, most seem like f*&king morons, but I assume that is because they are buddy hires by the upper management. Some of the stuff I've seen and heard from techs at dealerships blows my mind :nut:

You should do an anonymous poll on Beyond for pay. People seem curious about this shit. Obsessive, even.

max_boost
12-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Like this lol

iG66PtE4psk

We all gonna go work for raj2

craigcd
12-12-2017, 06:45 PM

I am sure many of the customers are also high maintenance and impossible to please........

(this could be said for all customers I guess hahaha)

J-hop
12-12-2017, 08:12 PM

Many sign confidentiality agreements that they legally can’t disclose how much they make to anyone not immediately financially impacted by their salary (ie spouse, dependents).

I’m sure almost no one gets caught for that but it would be moronic to risk it.

googe
12-13-2017, 12:23 AM
It should be illegal for a service advisor to be paid on commission. That's dirty as hell.

mr2mike
12-13-2017, 08:14 AM
P.S. I got $150 bonus for Christmas last week! LOL :rofl::rofl:
What's a bonus? Must be Automotive Ind lingo... I'm in O&G. :devil:

rage2
12-13-2017, 09:11 AM
Sadly ... only 20% gross/profit goes to Sales person commission (some Ultra high end Brand dealership only 10-15% from gross) .. and yes, 9 to 10% profit margin in Vehicle, assuming no extra overhead cost, pack cost .. and assuming every buyer pays full price and don't negotiate .. So, $50K car, $5K margin, $1K goes to "House" $4K left, take $2K discount, only $2K left, commission = $400 simple math! (Not talking factory incentive cash discount)

Of course, many new rich people from China will pay over MSRP .. and the gross and commission is huge .. such as those G Wagon 4x4 .. one just sold for $55K over MSRP so we are talking $90K Profit! :eek::eek:

However, it is fact that Technicians make more money than Sales ...

Don't believe me? Come see my T4! :banghead::banghead:

It is not a good job, not even close, any young people I know, I ask them to study hard, dont' even consider to sell cars.. period.. (Vancouver is difference story ... )

(P.S. I got $150 bonus for Christmas last week! LOL :rofl::rofl:)
Considering the discounts you gave me that makes sense. So... thanks, and I should buy you dinner? :D

It should be illegal for a service advisor to be paid on commission. That's dirty as hell.
There's a lot of jobs that qualify under that. CRA agents being my favorite example.

Hallowed_point
12-13-2017, 09:14 AM
I don’t think I could go back to being a SA. Constant pressure to upsell everything possible not just from management but techs as well. Don’t sell much and don’t earn that much (which was me most of the time). Couldn’t push myself to sell things I didn’t believe in especially to trusted customers, because didn’t want to have to live with myself as that person.

That's because you're a real decent dude. If every SA was like you at GSL back in the day, people would be much happier I think. The trouble is
commission based jobs force otherwise decent people to become pushy and dishonest in order to make a good living. Basic human greed.

Buster
12-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Twin_Cam_Turbo was the best SA I have ever dealt with.

legendboy
12-13-2017, 09:57 AM

You gotta close em on payments man, don't even tell em what the price is! :rofl:

Buster
12-13-2017, 10:04 AM
The taboo on discussing salary is specifically designed to benefit employers. It would be greatly empowering and beneficial to white collar employees to be very open about compensation.

max_boost
12-13-2017, 12:03 PM
Considering the discounts you gave me that makes sense. So... thanks, and I should buy you dinner? :D

There's a lot of jobs that qualify under that. CRA agents being my favorite example.

haha C4S is too good of a dude haha dj_rice should have went to him for a car lol

C4S
12-13-2017, 02:47 PM
Your deal was crazy ...:eek::eek: I can't even get similar or close for myself now..:banghead: Price has been went up $6K last 2 year, no more heavy incentive from manufacture, cut supply on inventory, mean boss is not willing to blow out (or non to ..) :cry::cry:

Anyway, just the fact I want to clear, say the NX I sold last night, ~ $55K retail, $5K profit margin, $5K factory incentive, plus $2K extra discount from my end, so ~$3K new profit, so, 20% commission = $600.

I am not going to suggest any young dudes to get into car business ... (rather than family )

To be fair, with all the crazy people from China paying OVER MSRP to buy those high end vehicles from Alberta, commission is insane!! ;)

Disoblige
12-13-2017, 02:50 PM
^^ Just FYI, you can see through the permanent marker.