PDA

View Full Version : Motortrend Head 2 Head: 2017 CTS-V vs 2018 E63S

Buster
12-13-2017, 09:55 AM
We were just talking about this comparison in the CTS-V thread recently, but I thought this deserved its own thread.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/v/0_lmxjk1ct/?sec=detail&videoid=0_lmxjk1ct/&wc_mid=4271:10122&wc_rid=4271:29281259

I think it might be behind the paywall still, but I'm a MT On Demand sub, so don't know.

TL;DR

E63s:

- Much nicer interior
- better sound
- better traction
- better transmission

CTS-V

- much lighter (it's a lot lighter, actually ....500lbs. The E63S is pretty heavy car).
- more athletic feeling
- better brakes
- slightly better throttle response due to the SC vs Turbo
- slightly better ride on the road with the MR shocks
- faster around the track

They didn't really compare the cars relative values on a $$$ basis, but obviously the Caddy wins there.

This is pretty consistent with my personal comparison of the last generation of V vs E63. I ended up going with the V because it felt a lot "sportier" than the E63, which felt more like a muscle car, but not as fun as a driver's car. I still think I made the right choice, and given the cult status of the V-Wagon now, it was by FAR the better value. I'm not much of a brand whore, I'll buy anything, with any badge, as long as it is good. But I still think this generation I'm leaning towards ordering the E63 still, for two reasons: it comes as a wagon, and it has AWD, which makes it a better daily than the V in Calgary.

Still, it's interesting that the Caddy can be directly compared to the E63 - as long as you could live with the interior.

rage2
12-13-2017, 02:00 PM
I think the AWD factor is the turning point that made people start choosing the E63 over the CTS-V as well as the M5. It's not just Canada that values AWD for year round performance, but a solid 1/3 of the US market gets snow as well. With the M5 going AWD, it'll be interesting to see if CTS-V goes that route, and how the 3 compare then.