PDA

View Full Version : Fun/reliable commuter car under 5k

03ozwhip
12-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Going to need a commuter car. I haven't had one in quite a while, but I'd like to find something that's decently reliable, that's manual under 5k.

Don't know allot about VW but what about a VR6? Throw some ideas my way!!

ExtraSlow
12-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Honda fit. Small enough that parking and fitting into holes in traffic is a breeze, and the Savage power will surprise most light-to-light competitors.

revelations
12-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Definitely stay away from European cars if you want reliable and cheap.

Yaris/Corolla/Fit/Civic are your main options. Cant really go wrong with any of those. 5spd as well.

ercchry
12-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Highway commuting right?

I’d skip the manual requirement, and go for comfort and power instead... Lexus LS4XX... surprisingly great highway mileage (my 430 saw around 8L/100kms at the speed limit) comfort, passing power, zero wind noise, rwd, great stability and traction control... can turn it off still with just pressing a button. My favourite commuting car even though it’s auto, can still hold gears

Shlade
12-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Definitely stay away from European cars if you want reliable and cheap.

Yaris/Corolla/Fit/Civic are your main options. Cant really go wrong with any of those. 5spd as well.

I had an 08 civic as a daily and hated that thing. By no means was it fun in any way shape or form.

Also I've been driving my 07 city golf 2.0 for almost a year now and that thing has been nothing but fantastic. Slapped a set of coilovers in it and it's a blast to drive in the city. Incredibly fuel efficient as well. You can definitely find a good condition low mileage one for likely 5k and under. Just make sure the timing belt has been done and you're golden.

craigcd
12-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Going to need a commuter car. I haven't had one in quite a while, but I'd like to find something that's decently reliable, that's manual under 5k.

Don't know allot about VW but what about a VR6? Throw some ideas my way!!

Have my first VW as a commuter car, I have owned a ton of vehicles and Honda and Toyota will continue to be my go to as of spring. The VW isnt terrible but I have found if you spend 5K on a Honda you can for the most part just drive it. I am constantly messing around with this VW outside of standard maintenance. Lots of little electrical things. Good news is when I am ready to sell it, it will be awesome as it drives me nuts and continue to fix things!

I will say though the car is LOADED with options compared to what you would get in a Honda/Toyota!

03ozwhip
12-15-2017, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys. Ya it's a highway car. Lexus is a good idea...I'm still not sure I want the tiny little car like a fit or fiesta something...

ExtraSlow
12-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Yeah, need a little bigger for highway comfort. I always forget that people commute outside of cities. #innercitymindset

Seth1968
12-15-2017, 09:06 AM
You got your answer as far as reliability goes, now what exactly do you mean by "fun"?

Hallowed_point
12-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Reliable = $5000 VW?! 80782
How about a 2006 ish Accord v6 sedan with a 6 speed manual. Rare for it's segment. Quick enough. Make sure timing belt has been done if higher mileage.
Other than that, I think it's a nice pick. I know lots of asian delivery guys that bag the hell out of them for years.

bjstare
12-15-2017, 09:23 AM
If you decide not to go with a large car, RSX (type-s)? No idea what the market is like for these, but I loved my integra for a dd back in the day.

Hallowed_point
12-15-2017, 10:04 AM
If you decide not to go with a large car, RSX (type-s)? No idea what the market is like for these, but I loved my integra for a dd back in the day.

RSX is also a really nice choice. Buddy had one with a leather interior and it was a sharp car. He had that for at least 5 years and did basically no maintenance.

gretz
12-15-2017, 10:54 AM
RSX is also a really nice choice. Buddy had one with a leather interior and it was a sharp car. He had that for at least 5 years and did basically no maintenance.

I daily drive just the base... Great fuel mileage, accelerates easily in 5th up hills (a huge must), leather interior, heated seats/mirrors, easy/cheap to fix if anything arises (base motors are super cost effective as well).

You can land something good for around 2k

HiTempguy1
12-15-2017, 12:01 PM
I had an 08 civic as a daily and hated that thing. By no means was it fun in any way shape or form.

Also I've been driving my 07 city golf 2.0 for almost a year now and that thing has been nothing but fantastic. Slapped a set of coilovers in it and it's a blast to drive in the city. Incredibly fuel efficient as well. You can definitely find a good condition low mileage one for likely 5k and under. Just make sure the timing belt has been done and you're golden.

I completely, 100% disagree with this. I had a brand new 2004 City Golf 2.0. It fucking sucked, and I was big into VW's back in the day. Also put a FK cup kit on it with 18's and an exhaust.

Thing was slow, interior quality was crap, it did nothing well, and got AWFUL mpg. It also shifted like a bag of smashed assholes and the throwout bearing blew up on me. Was also fun, the coolant temp sensor died once and the car completely DIED while driving, not even limp mode, scary shit. A restart it fired right up (ran like garbage).

That's not to say the 08 civic is great car either, just stay away from 2.0 golfs.

RSX is a good choice, but not exactly comfortable. If the engine had been fixed (known issues), a Nissan Sentra Spec V of the early millenium may be worthwhile to look into.

An older Acura EL is an upscale civic, and its a civic model of the better years.

craigcd
12-15-2017, 12:08 PM
That's not to say the 08 civic is great car either, just stay away from 2.0 golfs.

I can agree with this- 2.0 is a total snooze.

Mitsu3000gt
12-15-2017, 12:08 PM
V6 Accord would get my vote if you're doing highway driving and want a fun, reliable, STI-killer.

craigcd
12-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Have you done your timing belt? Its more the water pump than timing belt...... I dont think you could actually run this car until the belt snapped as the water pump would fail long before.

HiSpec
12-15-2017, 12:21 PM
RSX is a good choice, but not exactly comfortable.

I find the RSX suspension it is slightly under dampen. Also the seats are made for bigger body frame and feels like you are sitting on the car instead of in the car. Even with the seat setting at the lowest, it still sits rather high.

lamp_shade_2000
12-15-2017, 12:23 PM
I picked up a 06 tsx for your budget last spring. Cheap on fuel, 6 speed manual, most of the creature comforts and enough power to have a little bit of fun. That'd get my vote.

shakalaka
12-15-2017, 12:24 PM
It's your itch kicking in for something different isn't it? Otherwise I think X5's are excellent highway vehicles! Haha.

jltabot
12-15-2017, 12:29 PM
I'd say an EP3 civic. They're zippy around town, decent fuel mileage, and not boring like a regular civic.

Plus, timing chain, hatchback, short shifter, decent seats

Sugarphreak
12-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Sentry
12-15-2017, 12:32 PM
I owned an RSX Type S and thought the interior sucked ass. Its only saving grace was the K20A and 6 speed. Integras have nicer interiors.

Neil4Speed
12-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Q5 is the best under 5K car you can get

Or are you actually looking at under 5K? Haha

I don't get the Q5 joke?

I would 100% be going for an Acura TSX if I was in the camp for a car under 5k or maybe an IS300

03ozwhip
12-15-2017, 03:35 PM
You guys are giving me a lot to think about! Now I'm confused lol

tonytiger55
12-15-2017, 03:40 PM
How the hell is a V6 and a 2.0 L Engine a commuter car..? Like.. wtf? Or is my income too low..? :rofl:

Seth1968
12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Have you done your timing belt? Its more the water pump than timing belt...... I dont think you could actually run this car until the belt snapped as the water pump would fail long before.

Again, shh.

mzdspd
12-15-2017, 04:26 PM
I don't get the Q5 joke?

I would 100% be going for an Acura TSX if I was in the camp for a car under 5k or maybe an IS300

Here you go..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2004-acura-tsx-sedan/1311087559?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or this lightly used one :nut:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/2009-acura-tsx/1311139460?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

NissanFanBoy
12-15-2017, 04:26 PM
I can agree with this- 2.0 is a total snooze.

Is this the aptly nick named 2 point slow engine lol good gawd...I that that was weird when I read it as there is no way in hell they put the 2.0T in that shitty City trim..

Shlade
12-15-2017, 04:34 PM

Yep all the maintenance has been done to my car... nothing but reliable and gets 600k to a tank in city all day. Sure it's slow but it's definitely a decent car even on the highway. Did totally fine going to Kelowna this past summer. Geared low but in 5th it holds just fine and accelerates no problem... just don't downshift haha.

03ozwhip
12-15-2017, 05:29 PM
How the hell is a V6 and a 2.0 L Engine a commuter car..? Like.. wtf? Or is my income too low..? :rofl:

I don't have a crazy income and it's even gonna be less now but I'm thinking a lot of v6 and 2.0 are going to be good on gas on the highway.

ercchry
12-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Any V8 with highway gears is going to be great for commuting, even an old pickup with the right gears would be good. I had some weird 1/2 ton gmc with that boat anchor of a Detroit diesel in it... and that thing would get 12L/100kms... with a hole in the fuel tank AND cruising at close to 150km/h :rofl:

mrsingh
12-15-2017, 05:59 PM
I picked up a 06 tsx for your budget last spring. Cheap on fuel, 6 speed manual, most of the creature comforts and enough power to have a little bit of fun. That'd get my vote.

I highly recommend this, stick with an 06+ (before they had more oil burning issues). I had one a few years back, and honestly miss it as a daily a lot, just a great all around car and one of the slickest shifting transmissions around.

lison
12-15-2017, 06:02 PM
I'd say an EP3 civic. They're zippy around town, decent fuel mileage, and not boring like a regular civic.

Plus, timing chain, hatchback, short shifter, decent seats

This! My daily beater is an EP3 and it's super fun to throw around. Basically a base RSX with a unique shifter location :D

jwslam
12-17-2017, 03:33 PM
This! My daily beater is an EP3 and it's super fun to throw around. Basically a base RSX with a unique shifter location :D
In a similar category I had a Vibe GT for a while (6 speed) that was fun to throw around.
Fairly dirt cheap too (I got mine for half your budget)

03ozwhip
12-17-2017, 05:16 PM
Well I bought an EP3. Little rough around the edges cosmetically, but mechanically it's a really good car. I'll find out soon enough how good it is on the highway but so far so good.

Thanks for all the replies!

jltabot
12-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Congrats! Toss up some pics :thumbsup:

craigcd
12-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Well I bought an EP3. Little rough around the edges cosmetically, but mechanically it's a really good car. I'll find out soon enough how good it is on the highway but so far so good.

Pics!

NissanFanBoy
12-17-2017, 08:17 PM
I checked Kijiji after this thread
.. Did you pick up that black one?

craigcd
12-17-2017, 08:20 PM
I checked Kijiji after this thread
.. Did you pick up that black one?

Haha thats why I wanted pics, been watching kijiji also.

NissanFanBoy
12-17-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm considering one of these as a nice FWD manual winter beater but just can't get over the looks lol

03ozwhip
12-17-2017, 08:36 PM
I'm considering one of these as a nice FWD manual winter beater but just can't get over the looks lol
Haha ya guys I got the black one. I was always intrigued by the shifter position and i actually like it. Sorry no pics yet, it's pretty dirty inside and out.

NissanFanBoy
12-17-2017, 08:39 PM
That black one looked good.. The white ones literally look like a piece of rice on wheels lol

revelations
12-17-2017, 09:07 PM

You really need a 6th gear on the highway. It tends to buzz above 110. Also, no centre arm rest.

Not the best highway car, but a good car nonetheless. I've had mine for almost 10 years now.

03ozwhip
12-17-2017, 10:52 PM
You really need a 6th gear on the highway. It tends to buzz above 110. Also, no centre arm rest.

Not the best highway car, but a good car nonetheless. I've had mine for almost 10 years now.

Ya those are the first 2 things I noticed. Hovering around 3k rpm at 110kmh. But I was actually comfortable on the highway, it's good.

Sentry
12-18-2017, 01:12 AM
EP3s have great shifter position, just looks wonky if you've never driven one.

03ozwhip
12-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Ya it's the weirdest shifter I've ever seen but it's super comfy. So far though I'm already weary of highway mileage, but I didn't have a full tank of gas either, we will see.

if it's not what I'm expecting, expect to see it in the marketplace real soon lol driving over 100kms a day and not get the mileage I need won't work for me.

G-ZUS
12-18-2017, 09:52 AM
you need an e46 BMW :clap:

03ozwhip
12-18-2017, 12:35 PM
you need an e46 BMW :clap:

I'm afraid of an old bmw as a daily lol

Hallowed_point
12-18-2017, 01:29 PM

As you should be! Any pics of your new commuter?

G-ZUS
12-18-2017, 02:54 PM

I've been dailying one the past 2 winters as beater, they are not bad as people make them out to be.

tonytiger55
12-18-2017, 03:10 PM

A friend had one these back in the UK. Look strange, but apparently a very natural position for shifting. She loved it.

I've been dailying one the past 2 winters as beater, they are not bad as people make them out to be.

Out of curiosity. Does does a RWD handle in the winter compared to a FWD? What adjustments to your driving does one need to make in comparison?

ercchry
12-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Out of curiosity. Does does a RWD handle in the winter compared to a FWD? What adjustments to your driving does one need to make in comparison?

LSD and decent stability and traction control, coupled with winter tires and it’s great!

Biggest difference you will find is cornering, since you have dedicated steering and powered wheels vs all in one it’s a lot more control in emergency situations... fwd usually requires that you power out of an understeer situation while with rwd, just lift off the brake and chances are the steering will return, if not you can give the throttle a little blip and rotate the back around, with oversteer... well, that takes some serious skill to correct in fwd (if you can even get into that situation to begin with) but with rwd just lot off the gas, maybe a little brake depending on situation (could make it worse if you do it at the wrong time) and you will be good... but if you have a modern stability system and it’s turned on, there isn’t much you have to do. It will correct all on its own and there isn’t a whole lot different from the feeling behind the wheel if you are just driving normally

jltabot
12-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Ya it's the weirdest shifter I've ever seen but it's super comfy. So far though I'm already weary of highway mileage, but I didn't have a full tank of gas either, we will see.

if it's not what I'm expecting, expect to see it in the marketplace real soon lol driving over 100kms a day and not get the mileage I need won't work for me.

Fuel economy shouldn't be terrible. I get 500ish kms/full tank, colder weather ~450kms. Compared to my old RSX at ~600kms/full tank. With current gas prices, if I run it till the light turns on, its usually $40 to fill.

craigcd
12-18-2017, 08:11 PM

Not sure what else you would find- something with a 6 speed for sure. My Golf is also at 3000ish at 110...... not that it matters because I am more often at 4000ish and coming down the hiway at 135~ haha. I had Acura 1.7 EL a couple years back and it was the same issue, could have used another gear for the hiway.

Cheaper than driving my truck so whatever and not miling it up which is nice.

revelations
12-18-2017, 08:15 PM

The high RPMS will cause the MPG to dip - however with MIXED driving, I averaged about 31mpg during one calendar year with mine.

03ozwhip
12-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Fuel economy shouldn't be terrible. I get 500ish kms/full tank, colder weather ~450kms. Compared to my old RSX at ~600kms/full tank. With current gas prices, if I run it till the light turns on, its usually $40 to fill.

Ya it's gonna be a whole lot better than my truck. I'm kinda jumping the gun, it really is a fun car.

- - - Updated - - -

The high RPMS will cause the MPG to dip - however with MIXED driving, I averaged about 31mpg during one calendar year with mine.

I can handle that kind of mileage but I'm positive I won't get it considering all the highway miles. This thing won't see anywhere west of 52nd and glenmore lol

revelations
12-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Ya it's gonna be a whole lot better than my truck. I'm kinda jumping the gun, it really is a fun car.

- - - Updated - - -

I can handle that kind of mileage but I'm positive I won't get it considering all the highway miles. This thing won't see anywhere west of 52nd and glenmore lol

I found that going with a size larger tire the mileage got a bit better, but also, unsurprisingly, the acceleration suffered a bit.

G-ZUS
12-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Not sure what else you would find- something with a 6 speed for sure. My Golf is also at 3000ish at 110...... not that it matters because I am more often at 4000ish and coming down the hiway at 135~ haha. I had Acura 1.7 EL a couple years back and it was the same issue, could have used another gear for the hiway.

Cheaper than driving my truck so whatever and not miling it up which is nice.

Could use another gear but they are still decent, I would go to Edmonton in my old 1.7El and the gas light would come on the way back when I hit airdrie

J-hop
12-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Don’t know why but I always thought if I needed a dirty cheap commuter I’d get a Hyundai Accent.

Absolute garbage cars but cheap to fix and good to rip around the city in.

I drove a ton of them while working for a rental company. They seemed to be pretty reliable just as basic as a car can get

Hallowed_point
12-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Hyundai Accents get incredible fuel economy and you can get one with three pedals. That said, I dated a girl with 2 of them and they are cheaply built cars.
But then again, she did next to no maintenance besides putting gas in them. I don't mind them for what they are, but I would not want to be in an accident
in one of those!

canadian_hustla
12-24-2017, 06:40 PM
My vote would be for Toyota Camry or Honda Accord

My winter beater is a 2004 Toyota Solara (Camry) SLE. V6, 225hp. Comfy/luxurious i.e. leather, sunroof, heated seats etc, good gas mileage and reliable AF.
Slightly unconventional (2 door), perhaps a bit girly, but it hauls ass and a sleeper
The perfect balance of utility and fun. Can be had for $3-$4k
Imo one of the most underrated cars. If this one dies on me, I would probably buy another one.

NissanFanBoy
12-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Little bit off topic, but what makes a good winter beater? My current is an 09 Murano with 280,000km with almost new Blizzaks. I've always had an SUV for the winter but I'm starting to realize, the handling is not that great, probably due to the top heavy nature of the vehicle. But I will most likely never get stuck and there is an added layer of safety if I collide with smaller vehicles.

Some of you posted some pretty small cars, makes me think they're death traps if someone crashes into you... Not to mention the fact that you risk getting high centered if there is too much snow, although Calgary rarely gets that much snow for that to happen and plows are usually pretty good.

So what are your opinions on what makes a good winter vehicle for Calgary?

The guy above me also mentioned leather seats... That feels extra cold in the mornings lol I've personally also found that with an SUV, there is way more to window to scrape plus it seems like it takes forever to heat up the interior (I have no kids so at most it's me and my wife in this giant vehicle)... And of course also costs more in gas.

Wife has a Nissan Juke and it doesn't seem to have that top heavy feel and it still provides decent ground clearance but for me personally, the price isn't winter beater budget friendly...

03ozwhip
12-25-2017, 11:26 AM
I don't know my car is pretty fun. I filled up for the first time when the gas jumped to 112.9 the other day and it was still under $50.

This car is lowered on Tein coilovers but it's not too low, but handles like it's on rails. Has ok winter tires and I haven't gotten stuck or high centered yet.

Interior is comfortable, shifting is comfortable and I'm not worried about the morning cold because it's stored in my heated garage.

I always like smallish cars for everything rather than Subs, you can always have so much fun with them.

zhao
12-25-2017, 01:21 PM
Some of you posted some pretty small cars, makes me think they're death traps if someone crashes into you... Not to mention the fact that you risk getting high centered if there is too much snow, although Calgary rarely gets that much snow for that to happen and plows are usually pretty good.

Some random death traps I can think of off the top of my head: mitsubishi mirages (almost no structure to the car). 1999-2007 GMC/chevy trucks (front offset accident = its coming through the cab). nissan pathfinder (one of the highest risks of rollover).

Just because something is big doesn't mean its safe. Trucks actually are one of the most unsafe vehicles. Plus IMO it depends what you classify as safe. Personally I want to avoid a vehicle that is going to roll over, trap me inside because the roof crushed the doors, and is going to ignite burning me alive. If you agree that is a horrible way to die, you should probably sell the nissan suv and start taking every driver training course you can if safety is a big concern of yours :D.

If I was being startrek transported into a random accident situation and had 5 seconds to pick what vehicle I'd want to be in, I'd pick a german luxury sedan/coupe without a second thought (something like a M3 or E class). Handles, can take a hit from any angle, wont roll over, powerful enough to out run a tornado. 2nd on my list would be a higher end Japanese sedan/coupe.

NissanFanBoy
12-25-2017, 01:45 PM
If I was being startrek transported into a random accident situation and had 5 seconds to pick what vehicle I'd want to be in, I'd pick a german luxury sedan/coupe without a second thought (something like a M3 or E class). Handles, can take a hit from any angle, wont roll over, powerful enough to out run a tornado. 2nd on my list would be a higher end Japanese sedan/coupe.

Had an 09 G37X sedan last year with Hakkas about 50% tread and it was great! The Murano was for my wife...wish I kept the G but ended up trading with someone for my Z and couldn't afford to keep both. Can't remember a day last winter where it snowed so much I was worring about ground clearance though.

As for the German brands, I have noticed a lot of reasonably priced 330XI'ss and 328XI's but I don't want to have to deal with stuff breaking down in the middle of winter. Plus I'm not that great at fixing anything that requires more knowledge than how to turn a wrench...

I was thinking for this winter, something small and FWD with manual and studded winters....but then the drawbacks of ground clearance and safety came up, hence this post...I know the looks of the Nissan Juke is pretty polarizing but I honestly think it's a great vehicle for so many purposes, too bad Nissan discontinued it, but in a few years there will tons of cheap Toyota CH-Rs and Honda HRVs and Mazda CX3s to choose for a winter beater.

revelations
12-25-2017, 02:35 PM
I was thinking for this winter, something small and FWD with manual and studded winters....but then the drawbacks of ground clearance and safety came up, hence this post...I know the looks of the Nissan Juke is pretty polarizing but I honestly think it's a great vehicle for so many purposes, too bad Nissan discontinued it, but in a few years there will tons of cheap Toyota CH-Rs and Honda HRVs and Mazda CX3s to choose for a winter beater.

Do not buy a Nissan Joke. The engines on those were notorious for grenading themselves.

NissanFanBoy
12-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Do not buy a Nissan Joke. The engines on those were notorious for grenading themselves.

That's the first I heard of it.. I haven't even really heard problems with the turbos...

Speaking of which, I keep reading that about Subarus...

jwslam
12-26-2017, 10:07 AM
I was thinking for this winter, something small and FWD with manual and studded winters....

Nissan Maxima. Heated steering wheel :drool:

NissanFanBoy
12-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Nissan Maxima. Heated steering wheel :drool:

Surprisingly I don't really like the Maxima haha hate big sedans... The Altima is even uglier. The Sentra is gutless. I actually hate a lot of Nissans lol

Found a pretty decent black RSX Type S on Kijiji but the guy hasn't responded yet.

03ozwhip
12-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Surprisingly I don't really like the Maxima haha hate big sedans... The Altima is even uglier. The Sentra is gutless. I actually hate a lot of Nissans lol

Found a pretty decent black RSX Type S on Kijiji but the guy hasn't responded yet.

Make sure you check before you go, that the car is insured and registered. I went to 2 places to look at RSXs and they both werent legal to drive.

Needless to say, I left.

NissanFanBoy
12-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Make sure you check before you go, that the car is insured and registered. I went to 2 places to look at RSXs and they both werent legal to drive.

Needless to say, I left.

Lol ya that's annoying but I can understand why people would take insurance off if they're not winter driving it

03ozwhip
12-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Lol ya that's annoying but I can understand why people would take insurance off if they're not winter driving it

Ya but would you buy a car you couldn't test drive unless it was new?

zhao
12-26-2017, 03:16 PM
Ya but would you buy a car you couldn't test drive unless it was new?

Yes, i would actually, and have bought many that way.

I would not buy a new car I could not test drive however, and to me that is the crazy thing to do. New cars are expensive, and certain cars have a terrible feel or horrible driving position.

J-hop
12-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Yes, i would actually, and have bought many that way.

I would not buy a new car I could not test drive however, and to me that is the crazy thing to do. New cars are expensive, and certain cars have a terrible feel or horrible driving position.

Guess it depends what you’re willing to put into the car.

You can’t really tell much about the condition of a vehicle without driving it, getting it up to temp. Doing some decent acceleration. Checking if the car pulls a direction.

In my experience most sellers don’t know shit or do what they can to cover up.

03ozwhip
01-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Bit of a late update. The car is actually a great car. A bit noisy because of the exhaust but still a great car.

The fuel mileage is actually pretty good. Light came on at 515km and it was $46 to fill today.

Here it is if anyone cares...
https://imgur.com/DdTmeZf
EDIT: fuck I don't know how to post these fucking things lol

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-02-2018, 05:04 PM
I'd drive it.

https://i.imgur.com/DdTmeZf.jpg

Skrilla
01-03-2018, 01:04 PM
I was after the same thing a couple years ago, went with a Maxima with manual/v6. Bought it with 200k ish kms on it, drove the piss out of it, and the guy I sold it to still drives it. Had every option you could want for winter, and was surprisingly very quick.

D'z Nutz
01-03-2018, 01:46 PM
I used to think Honda Fits were lame, ugly little cars until SASC Winter Driver Training course a couple years ago. One of the trainers (I think?) had one with studded tires and oh my god, that was such a fun little ride. Easily the best handling vehicle there that day.

Now I just think they're ugly little cars hahaha

Disoblige
01-03-2018, 01:50 PM
I used to think Honda Fits were lame, ugly little cars until SASC Winter Driver Training course a couple years ago. One of the trainers (I think?) had one with studded tires and oh my god, that was such a fun little ride. Easily the best handling vehicle there that day.

Now I just think they're ugly little cars hahaha
Yep. They're actually quite good in the winter.
Had brand new ice tires on a Fit before going to Fernie during one Winter. Was ripping through icy Crowsnest Pass with full confidence at night, no issues whatsoever. Man, that was so fun.

D'z Nutz
01-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Yep. They're actually quite good in the winter.
Had brand new ice tires on a Fit before going to Fernie during one Winter. Was ripping through icy Crowsnest Pass with full confidence at night, no issues whatsoever. Man, that was so fun.

Joyriding in that Fit also dispelled the misconception for me in that winter cars need to be heavy for traction and good handling too.

88CRX
01-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Must have been on studded tires because our fit on decent winter tires (no studs) is just ok, nothing special.

The SH-AWD TLX is virtually unstoppable, was considering trading it in for a new Civic at the end of the lease but I'm not going back to FWD for winter driving ever again.

03ozwhip
01-03-2018, 03:11 PM
Must have been on studded tires because our fit on decent winter tires (no studs) is just ok, nothing special.

The SH-AWD TLX is virtually unstoppable, was considering trading it in for a new Civic at the end of the lease but I'm not going back to FWD for winter driving ever again.

You probably never drove the EP3 in the winter, but if So, how was it? I have toyo winter's and like your Fit, it's just ok. Good in snow, shitty on ice or slush, always feather the gas to grip.

A2VR6
01-03-2018, 03:24 PM

Indeed it was. The thing that makes the Fit so good is the short wheelbase as well and the lack of weight in the rear, it rotates very very nicely.

88CRX
01-03-2018, 03:28 PM
You probably never drove the EP3 in the winter, but if So, how was it? I have toyo winter's and like your Fit, it's just ok. Good in snow, shitty on ice or slush, always feather the gas to grip.

I drove the EP3 in winter for several year on the stock all season tires and it was lowered a couple inches.... I dont remember it being *that* bad other then the ground clearance issue but I was also young and dumb. I wouldn't consider winter driving a lowered FWD car on all seasons every again.

And the fit is great on snow, not very good on ice or slush either. Its just too light. If we keep it much longer we'll probably upgrade to studded winters and be done with it.

When you want to upgrade your EP3 let me know! haha.