PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle color change and insurance/registration

00redLUDE
12-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Did a search and did not find an answer to this question.

If you have a vehicle that is registered and insured in one color (white) and you change the color of the vehicle (paint or wrap to say blue) do you have to inform your auto insurance and change your registration? If yes, what would happen if you forgot to do this?

Thanks.

NissanFanBoy
12-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Registration for sure... Or else the cops can't find you.

G-ZUS
12-18-2017, 01:52 PM
ive never had insurance ask me what color a car is

jwslam
12-18-2017, 02:44 PM
ive never had insurance ask me what color a car is
:facepalm:
Go and read your bill of sale which you provide to insurance

G-ZUS
12-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Never had insurance ask me for a copy of the bill of sale either, :facepalm: back at you

J-hop
12-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Never had insurance ask me for a copy of the bill of sale either, :facepalm: back at you

I’ve never provided a bill of sale to insurance either. Of course they do have the vin obviously and color is tied to the vin but I’ve never seen what information exactly is populated in the insurer’s database Masked Bandit might have some insight

Masked Bandit
12-18-2017, 04:49 PM
I’ve never provided a bill of sale to insurance either. Of course they do have the vin obviously and color is tied to the vin but I’ve never seen what information exactly is populated in the insurer’s database Masked Bandit might have some insight

Insurance does not de-code the colour from the VIN, it has no relevance. Registry folks probably care though so that the cops have accurate info (cops don't have access to insurance info).

As for the bill of sale, we normally ask for it on a brand new car to support the waiver of depreciation coverage but on used stuff we generally don't ask / care.