PDA

View Full Version : Best code reader for DIY

J-hop
12-20-2017, 04:31 PM
What is everyone’s recommendation for an intermediate code reader for DIY?

I’m in the situation where I have 3 different vehicle brands and need Something that can give me the basics across several makes.

And before you say “just a cheap one is fine” i already have one but I’m looking for something beyond what my current princess auto special ($30 autel) can do.

Live data and abs code reading are a must. Bi-directional with the Ability to trigger abs pump would be a nice to have, as would SRS code reading.

Budget would be $500 but could push a bit higher if something really good comes up.

The best I can really find locally is something like the millennium 70 at princess auto, but looking at the site I think the millennium 90 might have more of the features I’m looking for.

Some of the higher end innovas and Autel look ok as well.

I realize not all the features a more expensive one can offer will be useable as a vehicle may not support the function. But I’m finding for even basic diagnosis my cheap autel is lacking and on one of my vehicles it can’t even pull pending codes.

Ca_Silvia13
12-20-2017, 04:33 PM
ABS and SRS reading will push you over that budget. I looked a year or two ago for an ABS/code reader and the ABS option made it almost 1000.00

J-hop
12-20-2017, 04:35 PM
ABS and SRS reading will push you over that budget. I looked a year or two ago for an ABS/code reader and the ABS option made it almost 1000.00
Good to know, SRS I can do without as I won’t ever service those systems.

zieg
12-21-2017, 12:28 AM
Have you had a look at the offerings on scantool.net lately? I have the OBDlink LX and have yet to find a vehicle it won't talk to. I use the Torque app, which also has addons you can get for certain vehicles. Might be worth checking into what options there are for your vehicles? I dunno, maybe it's not advanced enough but thought I'd mention it.

Darell_n
12-21-2017, 12:39 AM
I recently updated my stack of scanners with an Autel AL619 from Amazon. The brand has a pretty good model selection for whatever you are looking for with Chinese grade prices / good quality.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0091DJWV0/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maxx Mazda
12-21-2017, 03:43 AM
Why do you need an ABS code reader? Most systems are able to display their trouble codes by blinking the dash indicator lamp when in diagnostic mode.

J-hop
12-21-2017, 06:19 AM
Have you had a look at the offerings on scantool.net lately? I have the OBDlink LX and have yet to find a vehicle it won't talk to. I use the Torque app, which also has addons you can get for certain vehicles. Might be worth checking into what options there are for your vehicles? I dunno, maybe it's not advanced enough but thought I'd mention it.

I have not, I will check them out. Their MX seems to have a bunch of add ons you can purchase. Thanks

I recently updated my stack of scanners with an Autel AL619 from Amazon. The brand has a pretty good model selection for whatever you are looking for with Chinese grade prices / good quality.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0091DJWV0/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yea autel seems to have some pretty good ones. Will sift through their site and see if there is one that fits my needs.

Why do you need an ABS code reader? Most systems are able to display their trouble codes by blinking the dash indicator lamp when in diagnostic mode.

Being able to see pending codes is a big requirement for me. Especially with ABS.

ExtraSlow
12-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had abs issues on any vehicle. I use a very basic autel unit I got from princess auto years ago. Reads stored and pending engine codes and clears them. Nothing manufacturer specific, but I can always look the code up online if the description isn't clear.

firebane
12-21-2017, 08:02 AM
I wish I had a reader that could do SRS/ABS .. having issues right now.

While they don't happen often I think I would like a scanner which could.