Brent.ff
12-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Anybody have some tips for success?

get off beyond?

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Brent.ff
12-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Suspect you'll find it easier then when you were in school originally. Having a goal to actually get it done, vs fucking around in class and being perpetually drunk. Sit near the front so you arent distracted by those people, be proactive on your homework and approach your profs if you need something explained. Leave the books at home unless you've been told to bring them. Should be taking notes, not just highlighting.

JfuckinC
12-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Youtube man, if you're having issues look for youtube videos on your subjects haha

HiTempguy1
12-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Good luck (and I mean it). The entry program I would not think to be any harder than Math 31/Physics 31 courses in high school. But if you are going into a 4 year eng degree, it only gets worse from here. While I make fun of engineers a lot, from the perspective of IQ and ability to solve mathematical equations, huge respect in that regard from me. You can't just fall into an engg degree anymore.

I couldn't hack it after my first year. But I was in a transfer program with the entry grades averaging 90%+ and we were on a curve.

Biggest things I can think of are if you feel you are struggling:

1) Talk to classmates. They may be able to explain it better to you/in a way you understand. Even though I sucked at engg, I did well in the C+ course that was mandatory so I had lots of people asking me for help.

2) Go to a tutor. And if you don't like that tutor, GO TO ANOTHER ONE. Ask around.

3) Utilize online resources. Was quite a bit different back in 2007/2008 when youtube basically wasn't even a thing. So much info online now.

4) My personal opinion - you are paying for the education, go to the lectures. Half of the engineers on Beyond will tell you not to and to self teach, we're talking about maybe 5% of the population that can reasonably be able to pull that off. A mixture of visual, aural, and social learning will give you the best opportunity to absorb the information.

If you decide to drop out of engg after the first year, getting a technology diploma will be a breeze though :rofl: :cry:

max_boost
12-21-2017, 03:10 PM
College girls. :love:

You'll be surprised how much of them want some sugar.

msommers
12-21-2017, 03:11 PM
An app and YouTube channel called Crash Course has a lot of great tutorials. Khan Academy is another.

Used both a ton while prepping for the MCAT as I hadn't done first year sciences in over a decade lol.

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 03:26 PM

ExtraSlow
12-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Biggest thing a real adult with some discipline can do is actually get adequate sleep, party only a little, and don't procrastinate projects or subjects of difficulty.
For me I know study groups would be a big help. I need to hear things in more than one way and ideally teach material in order to know it deeply.

ExtraSlow
12-21-2017, 03:37 PM
If khan academy has the specific material that would be my choice for anything.

max_boost
12-21-2017, 03:40 PM
What the heck baller lol you are upgrading?

So confused. Anyway the only thing I would go back to school for is social work lol I have to give back to society.

Good luck SP!

mzdspd
12-21-2017, 03:40 PM
As Hitemp said.. get a tutor. This is a huge help. I think you said that you were doing engineering? For someone that has been out of school for awhile, it is worth every penny.

When I was in school, I was going to a tutor once a week for 2 hours. He charged 25$ per hour and he was doing his phd in mech eng. And I would recommend that you start looking now for a tutor so that you can line up a good one or someone that you mesh well with.

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 03:47 PM

mzdspd
12-21-2017, 04:14 PM
^^ Where do you find a tutor typically?

I am one of those people that has to keep moving forward

The analogy I like to use is that I've climbed my current mountain to the peak, and while the view is great, after a while all I can see is other taller mountains I'd like to summit. To climb those, I have to descend back to the valley and start over.

I just found one on kijiji. He told me what his credentials were and then I started to go and he was really good to work with. Also, most universities have student centers where they will help find you a tutor.

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 04:16 PM

killramos
12-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Definitely don’t carry your books around unless you are in a class that requires it. Some classes you will have your nose in that book every day. Others just in a vain attempt to figure out the material the night before the final.

Keeping your bag light will help the trucks between classes. Get separate notebooks for each class and only bring the ones you will need for the day.

Wolfram alpha will save your life for intro math. Type in the problem and you will get a step by step worked out solution.

Your assignments and open book quizzes you should aim for 100% on, great way to boost your grades so that you can do well if a test happens to kick your ass. Use your tutorials for this, good time to consult peers who have a similar mindset to you and get tips from the TA’s.

Don’t skip your classes, it’s a slippery slope and a great way to get behind. Just think to yourself how much you are paying for each one and you realize that you would be a fool to skip them.

I agree with slow that being an adult with discipline will make things a ton easier. Things like getting up in the morning and just doing your work are concepts most students don’t even grasp.

Let me kno if you have any specific questions I would be glad to help.

legendboy
12-21-2017, 04:31 PM
I am studying college level electronics thru george brown in ontario. As stated many times, Khan Academy has been very helpful for reviewing math. I took pure math 30 twice about 8 years ago so that helps me also (39)

know1edge
12-21-2017, 06:02 PM

stillworking
12-21-2017, 06:46 PM
My suggestion would be to remember that you will have a much different perspective and experiences and that no one else in the class will care.
The demographic will be mostly late teen and twenty somethings with many on full rides from their parents and are focused on making friends and partying.
So just keep your mouth shut, keep on top of your work, and if you want to contribute to the discussion or challenge things, do so during office hours.
That should make things easy and you will get into the group chat.

killramos
12-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Good point on the keep your mouth shut actually, another tip since you are coming into this with a wealth of previous real life experience.

Don’t be that guy who argues with the prof every lecture about how “that’s not how this works in real life /in industry /etc.”

I knew a couple people who liked to pull those stunts back when I was in school. And it just leads to a lot of wasted time and frustration. There are times for personal experience, but those are truly few and far between in university.

Remember that you are there for academic pursuits, in an academic environment. The real world does not exist to those people.

TomcoPDR
12-21-2017, 07:20 PM
College girls. :love:

You'll be surprised how much of them want some sugar.

I've always stated, would be such a waste of talent if you didn't become a Dean, the faculty of Life Lessons. Be one of those profs always with the nice cars, trendy clothes, stylish hair cuts with a leisure suit Larry smile and appetite of Quagmire... At the school of Tang, there's always something Tang-ible in exchange for a perfect A; giggity.

Back to OP: Are you going for a degree then? Or adding on diploma courses as add-on to your existing career?

Murray Peterson
12-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Work at forming a group of "study buddies" with fellow classmates. I went back to university in my 30's, and it was a huge shock. My study group(s) helped more than anything else. In math (for instance), we went through all the problems at the end of every chapter, and then handed in those that were assigned for homework.

max_boost
12-21-2017, 07:39 PM
I've always stated, would be such a waste of talent if you didn't become a Dean, the faculty of Life Lessons. Be one of those profs always with the nice cars, trendy clothes, stylish hair cuts with a leisure suit Larry smile and appetite of Quagmire... At the school of Tang, there's always something Tang-ible in exchange for a perfect A; giggity.

Back to OP: Are you going for a degree then? Or adding on diploma courses as add-on to your existing career?

Music to my ears when I am told they are in school, having some trouble and just looking for assistance.
:clap::clap::angel::rofl:

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 08:05 PM

max_boost
12-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Keep updating this thread. I will be in my 40s going back to school so I have an idea of wtf is going on haha

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 08:55 PM

msommers
12-21-2017, 08:55 PM
In addition to what I mentioned earlier and building on the latest comments....

Do not discount anyone in your class despite whatever group you think they fit in. You need to view everyone as a network potential. This was my biggest regret during my undergrad -- stuck to the people I liked and respected and didn't mingle much.

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 08:58 PM

ExtraSlow
12-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Ubc?

Sugarphreak
12-21-2017, 10:25 PM

Murray Peterson
12-21-2017, 10:45 PM
That is interesting, I wouldn't have guessed you went back to school that late! Good advice, I will be trying to do this as best I can. I am hoping some other people my age are in the course

Don't worry about that. My study group was a decade (or two) younger than me, but it didn't matter. This is all about packing in the knowledge, not about age-related interactions. Besides, I was married, so all sorts of goings on were not allowed :)

dirtsniffer
12-21-2017, 11:24 PM
For labs, try to find road maps.

Focus on free marks such as labs, assignments and quizzes. No reason not to have 100%. Get a study group. Even if you're the smartest guy, teaching something to someone is a great way to really understand it.

killramos
12-22-2017, 09:47 AM
bcit

Is that just for the upgrades and then attend UBC for the engineering degree or are you planning on doing it all at BCIT?

Never heard of BCIT before tbh

Hallowed_point
12-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Are you on Snapchat yet phreak?

HuMz
12-22-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm back in school at 32, the most important thing for me is utilizing my time wisely. I've always been a huge procrastinator when it comes to school work, and it just leads to unneeded stress. Also, take time to unwind as well whether it's working out, meditation, or something similar.

Hallowed_point
12-22-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm back in school at 32, the most important thing for me is utilizing my time wisely. I've always been a huge procrastinator when it comes to school work, and it just leads to unneeded stress. Also, take time to unwind as well whether it's working out, meditation, or something similar.

Great advice, gotta unplug in this social media age.

ExtraSlow
12-22-2017, 10:39 AM
BCIT has an excellent reputation for certain programs. My wife went there for a post-graduate program and at the time it was well known as best in Canada for her specialization.

flipstah
12-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Write notes over and over again. Memory will be shot for oldies.

Also, we have calculators now so put those slide rules away!

I'm serious about the notes one. My memory isn't as good now.

Hallowed_point
12-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Write notes over and over again. Memory will be shot for oldies.

Also, we have calculators now so put those slide rules away!

I'm serious about the notes one. My memory isn't as good now.

Totally. I still use pad and pen and I'm 32. Really helps with retention.

G
12-22-2017, 01:08 PM
So I am back to school full time for the first time in like.... um... I think there may have been dinosaurs and my professor was the inventor of the wheel the last time around.

To be honest, I am kind of shitting my pants a bit.

I have so many books I can't possibly carry them all at once, plus bigger stuff like PPE for labs. My classes are scattered all over campus, and I typically have 10 minutes between each course to get from one place to another. Some days I don't have a proper lunch break scheduled in.....

This is essential...saves your back and can fit your lunch too.

jltabot
12-22-2017, 03:38 PM
I just skimmed the suggestions here but to reiterate what others what said:

- make friends. People you can rely on to study or bounce ideas off of. Unless everything engineering clicks for you right away, I haven’t found a single peer who survived engineering on their own.
- eat in class if you don’t have proper breaks, profs don’t care
- personal preference: even if you study better using physical textbooks, leave them at home. I got an iPad and used notability to take notes, annotate lecture slides, etc. It’s not for everyone, working on an iPad, but it saved having to carry around tons of printed lecture slides and textbooks.
- during extended breaks, get some exercise - go to the gym, get a workout in, do things to turn your brain off
- lab reports aren’t fun, start them early. You’ll eventually learn the marking style of each TA and what they’re looking for (quality over quantity for the sake of writing words on the page), ask the TAs questions while you’re doing the labs. Helps to understand what they’re looking for
- work to mark ratio: work smart, not hard. Think about how much time you’ll need to commit to doing an assignment vs. the grade you get and what it represents towards your overall grade. Ex: 5 assignments, 2% each. That’s only 10% of your total grade whereas labs, midterm and final are worth much more. I had one class that was 10% assignments, 25% midterm, 65% final. Plan accordingly.

I’m sure I’ve got other stuff to contribute if it hasn’t been said already. PM me if you have any more questions or I’ll add to this thread as I think of more things. Good luck!

suntan
12-22-2017, 05:46 PM
No way I could do this. All that young estrogen would drive me nuts.

Sugarphreak
12-22-2017, 09:43 PM

suntan
12-23-2017, 11:39 AM
You're a smart guy, you'll kick ass.

03ozwhip
12-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Going back to school being older is tough and it's hard to relate to a lot of the people in the class.. i was 33 when i went back and 36 when i finished.

BUT, its true what these guys are saying, nk matter how immature and young some of them are, they probably have a way if helping you out in some way.

There was a 17 year old in my 1st year class that was top of the class among 3 classes. He was crazy immature and showed it, but the kid was smart and good at what he does, I actually learned quite a bit of technical skill from this kid.

Don't count out the young folk, their brains are more sharp than ours lol

Buster
12-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Don't work too hard. People who work hard in undergrad get into boring professional programs, and end up doing boring professional jobs.

Having the tools and understanding the concepts but utilizing them in a unique way outside of the norm is much more interesting. But people who are driven to the top in undergrad often don't have the skills to translate that into other interesting opportunities because undergrad is so tactical.

Some of the most interesting people I know have a law degree but don't practice law, or are accountants that don't work as accountants. Calgary is a bit different because engineering has always traditionally just translated to punching holes in the ground and pumping oil during an historic commodity run-up....but you get the point.

duaner
12-27-2017, 04:17 PM
So I am back to school full time for the first time in like.... um... I think there may have been dinosaurs and my professor was the inventor of the wheel the last time around.

To be honest, I am kind of shitting my pants a bit.

I have so many books I can't possibly carry them all at once, plus bigger stuff like PPE for labs. My classes are scattered all over campus, and I typically have 10 minutes between each course to get from one place to another. Some days I don't have a proper lunch break scheduled in. The program I am doing is a short 4 month technical entry program that covers Physics, Chemistry and English, and something called Entry, but in order to formally get into the program I want later in the year I have to maintain high competitive grades. I think I need ~85% to 90% in each course or this is all for not.

Plus on top of all this, I haven't done some of these subjects since the era of pre-internet. Not to mention I was more focused on the next party than school in those days. I am definitely at a huge disadvantage when compared to kids coming right out of high school that are more familiar with these subjects. Lectures, Labs, Seminars....

Treat it like a job. Don't do the kid thing and party and have fun and then cram to get all your work and studying done. Put in 8 hours a day, or more if necessary, and try and keep evenings for relaxing or simple reviewing. Cramming and stuff is hard, too hard at your age (whatever that is, lol).

I returned this fall and, yeah, it is harder than last time. I thought that taking four classes would be a way to ease into it, as I did five per semester the last time I returned (14 years ago, age 29), and I did well. I just about got my butt kicked with the four, so I'm dropping to three next semester. It seems I developed some bad habits after being laid off for 20 months. I will be making use of the writing centre for any upcoming papers.

flipstah
12-27-2017, 04:51 PM
... Uhhh, wrong. ANIMAL HOUSE.

mzdspd
12-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Also, another thing to consider. School is a great place to network.

Join in clubs and associations. My wife is the VP of the student association and she gets paid for that job plus gets her school paid for. And then thru this job, she has joined many clubs and committees and has met lots of people and is using this to help get her a job in the spring.

Sugarphreak
12-28-2017, 07:23 PM

duaner
12-29-2017, 10:23 AM
I am kind of preparing myself to get my ass kicked. With the amount of cost involved and potential for long term setbacks if I screw it up, I am hoping that will be the motivation I need to get my head into it and focus
Mentally it is tough but, yeah, we certainly have more reasons, and more significant reasons, to be motivated than the average kid. As hard as it is mentally, I love learning and I enjoy the school environment (apart from the few too immature kids), and hopefully it will result in better long-term opportunities. Screwing this up now would be brutal.

craigcd
12-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Something that has benefited me and something I wish I knew earlier was to set up a study routine/ritual. Have a couple locations where you can study and follow a similar pattern. Grab a coffee, tea, music (if you like) and find a method to study that works best for you. For me (like others have mentioned) its writing everything in pen and paper.

Make rules around internet access etc and schedule time for that in breaks. My preference has always been to leave the house to study but have also set up a office at home.

Sugarphreak
12-29-2017, 03:14 PM

max_boost
12-29-2017, 05:18 PM
I am kind of preparing myself to get my ass kicked. With the amount of cost involved and potential for long term setbacks if I screw it up, I am hoping that will be the motivation I need to get my head into it and focus

Props and good luck bro. The more i think about it, I can't do it. The shock will kill me.

Gestalt
12-29-2017, 11:38 PM
My wife teaches and went through a lot of hugher school.

Pretty easy tips
Hang out with the asians. They are connected and will often have past exams and solutions.
Preview. Prepare your mind to learn, and use the course outline to skim the subject the night before.
Sit up front and pay attention. Take notes.
Tbat night review what you learnet and do practice problems.

firebane
12-30-2017, 12:23 AM
SP I have respect for you. This is not something I would ever feel comfortable doing nor attempt.

Sugarphreak
01-10-2018, 07:59 PM

speedog
01-10-2018, 08:19 PM
So I am a whole 7 days into this now... anybody missing me yet, haha

I was a bit worried about my age, and that has passed... lots of students my age in this program, actually a lot of students my age throughout the school. I am not even thinking about it anymore.

I have about 30 hours of classes a week right now, and the study/homework ratio is about 1.5hrs give or take a bit... so I am spending about 75 hours a week right now just keeping pace, plus whatever other time I have to try and work ahead.

The pace is a bit nuts, but I guess that is how they compress everything into 4 months. I have some blank workbooks just for studying or doing calcs in each subject, they are 200 pages a book. I already filled one completely, and I've burned about halfway through 3 others... both sides of every page, so I guess 1000 pages of calcs in one week? Sounds about right, since I got home today I've already burned through about 50 pages on both sides and I need to put in at least another 4 hours tonight. That isn't even including my lab manuals which have their own work-space, or my lecture notes in my main subject binders.

I couldn't do school any more or not at least on the scale you are. Maybe 20 years ago but certainly not any more - I am impressed because what you're doing is a big decision and many are just all too willing to keep going along the comfortable path they're on and just get more depressed/despondent or angry as time goes on.

ExtraSlow
01-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Props sugar, and yes totally correct speedo.

suntan
01-11-2018, 11:04 AM
How many Tinder college babes have you done?

MalibuStacy
01-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Not speaking specifically to eng, but keep your bag light. I used to write all my notes by hand, but now I simply type everything on my Surface. And GO TO CLASS! They wouldn't offer lectures if they felt it was not necessary.

Schedule

Sleep
Eat
Class
Snack
Class
Eat
Class
Snack
Class
Workout
Eat
Study
Fun Time
Sleep

Repeat as needed

killramos
01-11-2018, 11:54 AM
You will get more efficient as time goes on, by halfway through semester one I bet you have developed strategies to cut down on that out of class study time by 75% or more. Just a learning process.

Good to start with being diligent and then scale it back as nessecary imo.

FT studies is definitely less overall hours than FT working imo. Just got to build up that efficiency and time management.

flipstah
01-11-2018, 12:05 PM
How many Tinder college babes have you done?

I think that is the most important question that needs to be answered.

Or Ashley Madison?

max_boost
01-11-2018, 12:36 PM
I think that is the most important question that needs to be answered.

Or Ashley Madison?

Tinder is for good looking people.

Seeking Arrangement is for ugly guys with money :rofl:

Sugarphreak
01-11-2018, 05:16 PM

Buster
01-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Good for you for doing this man

jwslam
01-12-2018, 09:00 AM
"I am taller than a towel bar!"
Debatable

Hang out with the asians. They are connected and will often have past exams and solutions.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Preview. Prepare your mind to learn, and use the course outline to skim the subject the night before.
I tried this and it works wonders. Stuff I didn't understand when reading made so much more sense hearing it the second time. Stuff I understood, I saved time not having to go to that lecture.

Too bad I only kept up with it for about 2 weeks.

bjstare
01-12-2018, 09:03 AM
I can probably put up with this kind of workload for 4 months easily, but yeah, for 4 years I need to optimize things for sure.

Many my Beyond post count is sure suffering... including this post I've had 3 in the last 7 days. I don't think it has ever been this low!

You will definitely be able to optimize... but if it's anything like when I went through eng school, you have no choice but to do so. It got progressively harder/higher workload all the way until 4th year haha, which was significantly easier than 3rd year.

+1 good for you going back to school.

jltabot
01-12-2018, 04:45 PM
It got progressively harder/higher workload all the way until 4th year haha, which was significantly easier than 3rd year.

I was always fed this lie haha. Even with a lighter course load, I found 4th year the hardest to focus with all the group projects and meetings. Fewer assignments, sure, but I swear 4th year content was the toughest and hardest to wrap my head around because I was slipping into an "I don't give a shit anymore" mindset lol.

but seriously, good luck. Since it's something you've always wanted to do and now you're doing it, that in itself is rewarding enough.

Disoblige
01-12-2018, 04:49 PM
I also thought 4th year was easier than 3rd, but it may be because it was less stressful since I knew I was near the end of the road.
3rd year, you've been in school for a while and you're burnt out knowing you still have 2 more years.

killramos
01-12-2018, 05:28 PM
100% 4th year engg is much harder than 3.

1st year is culture shock, but not technically hard.

2nd year you get a taste of hard shit.

3rd you are really doing some hard shit.

4th so long as you aren’t one of those people who tries to do their entire senior project in 2 weeks it’s a walk in the park. You have electives and the only course that was actually hard all year was vibrations. 1 hard course is way better than the usual 10.

bjstare
01-12-2018, 07:17 PM
100% 4th year engg is much harder than 3.

1st year is culture shock, but not technically hard.

2nd year you get a taste of hard shit.

3rd you are really doing some hard shit.

4th so long as you aren’t one of those people who tries to do their entire senior project in 2 weeks it’s a walk in the park. You have electives and the only course that was actually hard all year was vibrations. 1 hard course is way better than the usual 10.

:werd:

Also, after dicking around for years 1 and 2, I was on academic probation for my 3rd year, so I really had to bust my ass in the hardest year. Additionally, my final project group was just me and a buddy (another beyonder actually), so that was not too taxing. Those two things, and electives, are what made 4th year seem like a joke in comparison to 3rd, for me anyhow.

DonJuan
01-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Thought I would chime in on this thread. I'm back in school, final semester SAIT Geomatics. 35 years old now and recently married (7 months). BSc from U of C in Geoscience.

Tips and Tricks I have learned:

WORK HARD!!! - I have never worked this hard in post secondary. I thought SAIT would be easy and get a little extra expertise for diversifying my career. It isn't... it so fucking isn't.
KEEP UP WITH THE WORK!! - Even when you keep up with the homework, profs delight in giving tight deadlines, and they can be very inflexible.
REVIEWING NOTES - Some people rewrite their notes every day after class for memorization etc. This is probably ideal, but I don't got time for that so I dedicate an hour or 2 after classes to review what I did for the day and plan for the next day. Don't do this at home. you'll always find something better to do.
MEMORY NOT AT GOOD AS THE KIDS - You're not as good at remembering as the kids, in general, brain not as fresh and we other things to think about, but your work ethic and dedication is better, this is your advantage.
THE KIDS KNOW YOU ARE OLD - Don't try and relate to them, kids are stupid and retarded, and you are old as their parents or uncles etc, find some nerds and study with them in a group. Party only when you got nothing to do for the next couple days, and in those rare cases PARTY HARD!

Kloubek
01-18-2018, 03:32 PM
My tip: Double space after the period is no longer a thing.

Sugarphreak
01-18-2018, 05:12 PM

MalibuStacy
01-19-2018, 11:03 AM
My tip: Double space after the period is no longer a thing.
Shit, I have been doing this wrong my whole post secondary career...

killramos
01-19-2018, 11:26 AM

I still come across people who do it. I cut 3 pages off of a lengthy report a couple months back just by doing a find an replace on one of the contributors shit.

Amazing.

blitz
01-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Two spaces for life.

D'z Nutz
01-19-2018, 12:06 PM

I still do it cause old habits die hard. Not that it matters, since word processors and browsers adjust for it anyways which is why I never bothered adjusting for it.

Sugarphreak
01-19-2018, 01:17 PM

dirtsniffer
01-19-2018, 02:01 PM
..You have electives and the only course that was actually hard all year was vibrations...

haha that class was tough for sure. Dr. Park. 4th year difficulty can vary with what electives you take. If you want it to be easier I would not recommend turbo machinery. Alos the fucking 4th year design project was such a time sink and a waste I believe the university actually changed the course due to my year bitching.

Sugarphreak
01-20-2018, 01:17 AM

kertejud2
01-20-2018, 11:18 AM
I was also encouraged to start my sentences with "because" by my English instructor which is throwing me a bit

Wait, not just "so long as you work it into a complete sentence 'because' is acceptable to start a sentence with" but actually encouraging it like some kind of grammar anarchist?

Sugarphreak
01-20-2018, 12:40 PM

CUG
02-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Spend your money wisely. I went back when I was 29. It was a high value investment in terms of exposure and networking as well as furthering understanding of why people are stupid/smart etc. Don't know how old you are, but for me I felt look I took it more seriously than some of the younger folks because I was on the hook for the bill.

Sugarphreak
02-27-2018, 12:51 AM

craigcd
02-27-2018, 01:00 AM
Just passing week 8 of this 15 week program. I've been planning/tracking my homework to try and stay on top of things and I've now sunk ~240 hours outside of school hours into 103 different activities. I am definitely getting worn down though, I fell asleep for the first time during a 2 hour lecture last week.

In terms of performance, my midterm test marks are in the 97~100% range. I might actually be the top student for overall grade average; there is one other guy that might be just ahead or behind me. There is a program tuition discount for the top student, so I might have a shot at it.

It is tiring and the work load is brutal, but it has actually been fun so far. I've never really found this level of success in school before, so this has been kind of redeeming.

Congrats and good work. Amazing what you can accomplish when you apply yourself, but its a lot of work!

vengie
02-27-2018, 01:10 AM
I'm sure its posted somewhere within this thread, but I don't want to look through 5 pages... What are you taking?!

Impressive marks for sure, great work.

ExtraSlow
02-27-2018, 08:00 AM
It's always impressive what a motivated person can do when they know what they are working towards. Great job.

Sugarphreak
02-27-2018, 10:17 AM

Sugarphreak
03-24-2018, 12:32 AM

killramos
03-24-2018, 06:47 AM
University is all about learning prioritization and time management skills. Those who resort to meds to get through a standard courseload are missing the point.

ExtraSlow
03-24-2018, 06:49 AM
I'd heard the stimulants were a big thing at Uni these days. Man I hadn't even discovered caffeine when I got through mine.

Sugarphreak
03-24-2018, 11:28 AM

jltabot
03-28-2018, 09:25 AM
So many of these students must be banking on a great final to magically pull them through.

This is usually what happens in engineering courses anyways: Ride the curve 'til you get that degree haha. But it does happen, with final exams being worth 50% or more for any given course, crush the final and you're golden.

The finals are always ridiculously long and hard, engineering programs have class averages that they need to hit and "adjust accordingly."

flipstah
03-28-2018, 10:03 AM
So many of these students must be banking on a great final to magically pull them through.

fuck yeah. THE MATH WORKS

Sugarphreak
03-29-2018, 03:26 PM

killramos
03-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Lame, one test won’t kill you though. Blip in the radar.

Topic?

Sugarphreak
03-29-2018, 03:40 PM