PDA

View Full Version : Some EI questions

Boosted131
12-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Well I am back on the EI train again due to seasonal work, and am wanting to get into a different type of work, or go back into I.T (which I went to school for, worked 5 years and got laid off). I haven't worked in I.T for 2 years now, so it will probably be hard to get back in (maybe get a junior position and start over?)

If I was to get a job in a different industry , and figured out that I hated it, can you quit and go back on EI? I just really don't want to lose the EI, unless it's for a job that will work out.
Can you do online schooling while on it?

BerserkerCatSplat
12-22-2017, 10:10 AM
If you voluntarily quit your job without cause, you cannot claim EI benefits, nor can you go "back" to a previous EI claim.

macman64
12-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Well I am back on the EI train again due to seasonal work, and am wanting to get into a different type of work, or go back into I.T (which I went to school for, worked 5 years and got laid off). I haven't worked in I.T for 2 years now, so it will probably be hard to get back in (maybe get a junior position and start over?)

If I was to get a job in a different industry , and figured out that I hated it, can you quit and go back on EI? I just really don't want to lose the EI, unless it's for a job that will work out.

What type of IT did you do before? The company I work for has a long list of IT roles we are hiring for.

firebane
12-31-2017, 07:32 PM
Nope can't quit... The government doesn't want people on EI and will do whatever to get you off.

What type of IT did you do before? The company I work for has a long list of IT roles we are hiring for.

Care to send me some details? I'm a generalist and looking for work.

Xtrema
01-01-2018, 09:25 AM

No. You have to involuntary lose your job to get EI.

You can do all kind of training you want while on EI as long as it does not impede your ability to job search or land a job. So no full time courses without approval from EI.

If you think a change of industry is needed and need multi year schooling, I think there is a retraining program under EI for that.