PDA

View Full Version : Office Chairs

Pages : [1] 2

npham
12-27-2017, 11:31 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the home office, and was wondering what everyone is using for a nice office chair? Going to check out a few places tomorrow, but hoping to stay under $1000(so no Aeron, unless someone has the hookup...). Any places to avoid or check out?

Buster
12-28-2017, 12:04 AM
just spend the extra and get an embody

npham
12-28-2017, 01:04 AM
Do you have one? I was looking at that and the Steelcase Gesture as the two "money no object" chairs on the top of my list. Any recommendation on where to shop for that chair?

know1edge
12-28-2017, 01:06 AM

npham
12-28-2017, 01:17 AM
Can usually find Aerons on kijiji starting at $300I can't expense Kijiji purchases! But I'm not a fan of the mesh seat/back on them anyways. My boss has one, and while it's comfortable, it's not for me.

HiTempguy1
12-28-2017, 11:34 AM
https://m.staples.ca/en/serta-smartlayers-hensley-big-tall-executive-chair-brown/product_1867850_1-CA_1_20001?sk_test=a

I bought this on sale, dont think I got the "big and tall" one though. Oh man, its like a vacation for my ass. Chair is amazing.

I came to the realization with the slowdown Id be in the office a lot, and compared to the corporate "good posture" bullshit minimalist things, this is like heaven.

Buster
12-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Do you have one? I was looking at that and the Steelcase Gesture as the two "money no object" chairs on the top of my list. Any recommendation on where to shop for that chair?

Unfortunately you just missed the big Herman Miller annual sale. They might do it twice. Price is essentially controlled, so you can get it anywhere. EQ3 sells them. I love it. I sit in my desk chair for hours, and hours. I have no budget for a chair. But this one has been perfect.

darthVWader
12-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Walk into RGO and test drive a leap or a Gesture. They normally will work on a price with you. I have a leather Leap and love it.

Lex350
01-02-2018, 09:05 PM
I work as a designer in the contract furniture industry. I've worked for Haworth, Herman Miller and Steelcase either at the dealer level or the manufacturer level. I was the design director at both COI and HBI. Also did some work for Allsteel and Knoll. In my opinion these are the chair to look at:

Premium Chairs:
Gesture - Steelcase
Leap - steelcase
Aeron (its cool looking but a bit long in the teeth in terms of ergonomic design) Herman Miller
Zody - Haworth
Very Desk - Haworth
Freedom - Humanscale

Mid Level:
Mirra2 - Herman Miller
Series One -Steelcase
Think - Steelcase
Relate - Allsteel

Some of the things to consider is how long in the day you are sitting in it. Sizing is very important. Some chairs fit the 95th percentile while others come in A, B and C sizes. Always look for a chair that has an adjustable seat pan depth. This is especially important if you have long legs. Having a mesh chair over a fabric one is no benefit like it used to be. Today's fabrics breathe very well and you don;t get hot sitting in the chair. Mesh is more for looks or if it is a supportive mesh it is part of the back lumbar support design. Also consider function. If you are straight up a data entry warrior you need to have arms that support you while typing and ones that don;t pull away from the worksurface when you tilt back. That is usually a sign of a cheaper syncro mechanism.

I have my favorites over others. I've sat in all of them for good periods of time and owned most of them. Above all just go and sit in them. For example I know some people don't like the Mirra but others swear it is the best chair they have sat in. Most of the dealers in town have a used section where you can get a good deal on a chair that is essentially new. Sometimes chairs get ordered with the wrong options or a client doesn't pay their bill and the chairs come back.

Back support designs vary greatly. They all work but in different ways. If you have back problems some will feel better than others so it is best to try them out.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't ever buy anything Herman Miller from EQ3. They are a retail outlet. Go to the contract furniture dealer Contemporary Office interiors and you will always get a better price.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want a name for a person at RGO or COI let me know. Personally I think the Embody is an over priced piece of shit. When I was at COI we never pushed to sell them.

npham
01-02-2018, 11:44 PM
I went to RGO last week and looked at the Gesture and Leap v2. I love the look of the Gesture more, as well as the arms, but the upright positioning wasn't as comfortable as the Leap. The only downside of the Leap was the arms did not have the same range of movement compared to the Gesture but the seat pan moving was much more natural compared to the Gesture.

The Aeron is also ruled out now, as I tested it out further and it's not comfortable unless you are in the 'perfect' seating position. If you want to tuck a leg underneath you, or sit cross legged, the chair is far from ideal. The Embody was a nice chair but I didn't immediately love it. Especially after finding out it's nearly 2x the money as the Steelcase chairs.

Rocket1k78
01-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Personally I think the Embody is an over priced piece of shit. When I was at COI we never pushed to sell them.

I redesigned my office a couple years ago and was dead set on a blue embody but when i went to get it i was told the same thing lol

The Aeron is also ruled out now, as I tested it out further and it's not comfortable unless you are in the 'perfect' seating position. If you want to tuck a leg underneath you, or sit cross legged, the chair is far from ideal. The Embody was a nice chair but I didn't immediately love it.

I ended up getting the A Aeron(key and peele joke lol) a few years ago and i totally agree with you about the perfect seating position. When i first got it i thought i fucked up huge because i was used to being able to just sit literally half assed on my old chair but because of the front frame support you cant on the aeron. I was told it was a very good chair and luckily i stuck with it because im very happy with it now, my only other complaint is it looks just like any other chair and no where near as nice as the embody FWP

Buster
01-03-2018, 11:57 AM
If you're using the terms "overpriced" and "premium office chair" in the same sentence then you're doing it wrong. But I've had serious seat time in a lot of premium chairs, and I question anyone who would put an Aeron ahead of the Embody. Still, all of those recommendations are solid. The Embody might be more than a person wants to spend...but a piece of shit? Hardly.

npham
01-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Just a quick update, I ended up getting a Leap V2 from RGO after trying out all the major contenders. If you need a contact for RGO, Kirsten was great throughout the whole process.

shakalaka
01-10-2018, 10:02 PM
I have no idea about chairs but this thread makes me want to get a new comfy one for my office. Where do I start looking?

Ideally, I'd like something comfortable with in-built massage features if possible. Didn't realize it was possible to get massage features in something that's not a super huge recliner but came across this and thought I wouldn't mind it.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Year-Sale-Race-Car-Heated-Massage-Office-Chair-Executive-Gaming-Chair/301568782366?hash=item4636e6701e:g:cAEAAOSwNSxVE9a5&rmvSB=true

sabad66
01-17-2018, 06:20 PM
been working from home a lot more lately, so looking to invest in a better chair. Found this on kijiji, anyone ever deal with this guy? seems like a good deal at $350

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-chair-recliner/calgary/herman-miller-aeron-chairs/1323179760

- - - Updated - - -

also, does anyone know if you can write off an office chair on your personal taxes somehow? I have heard of people writing off their steel toed boots and other work-related items but not sure if something like this would qualify?

R-Audi
01-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Id be careful with the older Aeron chairs.. prices are ridiculous for parts. Likely the guy bought a ton of used and scavenged the parts.
(My office has a bunch of them that are breaking down..makes more sense to replace then to repair)

sabad66
01-18-2018, 10:53 AM
i actually ended up picking one up from this guy last night. His garage is full of brand new parts which he buys in bulk then refurbishes them himself. he's got all the sizes (A, B, C)

It looks pretty much brand new and operates perfectly (was mostly concerned about the hydraulic part), and he said to give him a call any time if something doesn't work. For 1/3 of the cost of brand new it's great value.

Lex350
01-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Coi quite often has some used Aerons hanging around. At least if you buy through them you get a warranty on it. Aeron's have a tendency for the pneumatic cylinder to fail. Also there are two types of lumbar support for the Aeron. Regular and Posture fit (Posture fit is about a $100 upgrade but it makes the chair feel completely different).

Lex350
01-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Whatever chair you decide, make sure you sit in it first and can return it after a week if you find you don't like it. There are a lot of good chairs out there but whereas you may like an Aeron, many people will also do not like the chair because of where the posture fit lumbar hits their back. Same thing with a Herman Miller Mirra chair. I've never seen such a polarising chair. People either love it or hate it.

If anybody is looking for a high quality ergonomic chair, these are typically the models that get evaluated side by side on large tenders.

Herman Miller - Aeron, Mirra (cheper price point) and sometime Embody. (When I was at the Herman Miller dealer we almost never sold these because of the price and warranty issues.)

Haworth - Very Desk and X99 and Zody

Humanscale - This chair is a bit different because the seat is gel filled. It definitely "sits" different from the other chairs on this list. Again, a kind of love it/hate it type of chair. I personally like this chair with the head rest.

Steelcase - The top of the line chair is Gesture. Imperial Oil standardised on this chair at their Calgary campus and now throughout NA. There are some innovative features on this chair but I'm not going to get in to it. The leap chair is still Steelcase's most popular chair. There is a new chair out called the Series One. It has all the ergonomic features of the Think chair but at a price point closer to what Global chairs sell for.

If you are looking for one of these chairs I can probably give you a name of a person to talk to at the prospective dealerships. Remember also that every one of the major dealerships have a used department. It is much better to buy a used chair though them because you get the full warranty. Very handy if the pneumatic cylinder should crap out. Also, in times like now when companies go under, quite often we get their furniture back and then sell it off at a discounted price. One more thing, if you are buying a used Herman Miller chair make sure you know which size it is. HM chairs come in A,B and C size. Most people need a B size chair. For the Aeron you can tell by running your finger on the underside of the top of the chair back frame. There are either 1,2 or 3 nubs there which tell you the size.

ganesh
06-02-2018, 07:55 AM
I am doing a home office reno and ended up getting a Gesture chair from RGO. Got a very good price. I guess they ordered some for a client in color Bluejay and the client didn't take them so they want to get rid of it

Pacman
06-04-2018, 10:42 AM
I've got a rarely used Steelcase chair someone can have for free if they want it. Only issue is the hydraulic needs looking at, as it takes a while for the chair to raise up when it's in a low position.

Lex350
06-07-2018, 05:22 AM
Nice ganesh ...did Kirsten sell it to you? The Gesture is probably my next chair. Currently I use an Allsteel Acuity.

http://www.allsteeloffice.com/products/seating/task/acuity?path=Acuity-Task

It isn't a bad chair but the Gesture is way nicer. Especially if you use different postures like when using tablets. Steelcase has a new chair out now called SILQ. It is a carbon fibre chair. If I can get an introduction discount I will pick one up.

https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/silq/#breakthrough-in-seating

ganesh
06-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Nice ganesh ...did Kirsten sell it to you? The Gesture is probably my next chair. Currently I use an Allsteel Acuity.

http://www.allsteeloffice.com/products/seating/task/acuity?path=Acuity-Task

It isn't a bad chair but the Gesture is way nicer. Especially if you use different postures like when using tablets. Steelcase has a new chair out now called SILQ. It is a carbon fibre chair. If I can get an introduction discount I will pick one up.

https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/silq/#breakthrough-in-seating

Thanks.
No it was Cassandra I believe who sold me the chair.
So far I am extremely happy with it. Might pick one up for my wife.

RawB8figure
06-09-2018, 11:10 AM
Anyone know who would have the best price on the Herman Miller Embody?

npham
06-09-2018, 07:22 PM
I am doing a home office reno and ended up getting a Gesture chair from RGO. Got a very good price. I guess they ordered some for a client in color Bluejay and the client didn't take them so they want to get rid of it

What did you get the Gesture for? I ultimately decided on the V2, which I love, but for a good price I'd pick up a Gesture as a back up. I love the arms on the Gesture more, but prefer the actual seat of the Leap V2 more. If they could put them together, it would be the perfect chair.

ganesh
06-09-2018, 07:41 PM
What did you get the Gesture for? I ultimately decided on the V2, which I love, but for a good price I'd pick up a Gesture as a back up. I love the arms on the Gesture more, but prefer the actual seat of the Leap V2 more. If they could put them together, it would be the perfect chair.

You have a PM.

Lex350
06-11-2018, 07:18 AM
COI is the preferred contract dealer in Calgary. If you go anywhere else you will be paying a retail price.

schurchill39
06-28-2019, 10:30 PM
Bump!

My new office supplies terrible chairs that are just killing my back. Even my Staples' Special office chair at home seems to be easier on my back for 12hr days compared to what I have now. As I can have long days completey in front of a computer or the phone I am looking to upgrade and supply my own chair. At my previous job I had a Contessa by Teknion for years and really liked it, but then again it was just what was supplied and I never really thought much about it.

When I am really in the zone I tend to lean back and pull myself right up to my desk so something where the arm rests could go way down and out of the way would be nice. I also tend to get a warm back so the mesh style chairs have treated me well however I am not married to it, I just know I don't want leather as it needs to breathe. A head rest would be nice, but again not a "requirement". Hoping to find something around the $500 range. Most of what I have seen in this thread is around the 1k or higher range which is a bit steep for me.

Lex350
06-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Maybe go check out a Series One chair at RGO. It has a mesh back and seat slider. Seems like those are the two options you are most looking for.

https://www.steelcase.com/products/office-chairs/steelcase-series-1/

Or...if you prefer Herman Miller. The Mirra might work. It might be a bit over budget. Not sure. Its been a while since I worked for Miller.

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/mirra-2-chairs/

CompletelyNumb
06-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Bump!

Even my Staples' Special office chair at home seems to be easier on my back for 12hr days compared to what I have now.

It probably is. I've used a number of expensive office chairs. This one is still the most comfortable for me (and what I currently use): https://www.staples.ca/products/2837129-en-staples-berwood-mesh-and-fabric-task-chair

R-Audi
07-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Places like COI, McCrums or RGO often have a used section, worth trying those out. Or Kijiji.

D'z Nutz
03-15-2020, 01:25 PM
Bump.

Since it's only a matter of time until I'm forced to work from home, now might be a good time to replace the old beater chair I've been using in my office. I was thinking I might even look for a gaming chair to use for work.

Having never used a gaming chair, is there any reason why that would be a terrible idea?

killramos
03-15-2020, 01:27 PM
+1. Also interested.

The shit chair I have been using is... fine, but nowhere near ideal.

npham
03-15-2020, 03:06 PM
I found that the gaming chairs didn't have many options for lumbar support and seat depth. I went with a Steelcase Leap V2 from RGO a few years ago and well worth it to not get tired or sore from sitting in a chair all day.

D'z Nutz
03-17-2020, 11:05 AM
I found that the gaming chairs didn't have many options for lumbar support and seat depth. I went with a Steelcase Leap V2 from RGO a few years ago and well worth it to not get tired or sore from sitting in a chair all day.

How much did you end up spending? I just looked it up and I think this is the exact chair I'm using at work so it's hard not to argue that it is a comfortable chair to be in for hours on end.

Strider
03-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Anyone have experience buying from allsold.ca? Also looking for a more ergonomic solution if this work from home thing becomes prolonged. Group buy?
http://www.allsold.ca/office/chairs--seating/steelcase-leap-v2-grey-adjustable-ergonomic-task-chair-w-arms-19470

sabad66
03-17-2020, 03:40 PM
Anyone have experience buying from allsold.ca? Also looking for a more ergonomic solution if this work from home thing becomes prolonged. Group buy?
http://www.allsold.ca/office/chairs--seating/steelcase-leap-v2-grey-adjustable-ergonomic-task-chair-w-arms-19470

no experience with them, but it's a crazy coincidence that i was actually JUST on their website looking for a specific model of an older monitor that i want to match to get a dual monitor setup at home. They seem legit.

D'z Nutz
03-17-2020, 05:59 PM

I'd be down for a group buy.

killramos
03-17-2020, 06:30 PM

Not sure I’m super game with a used chair for 400 bucks

Xtrema
03-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Not sure I’m super game with a used chair for 400 bucks

Herman Miller Aeron? I would be in.

Mesh chair doesn't capture farts anyway.

npham
03-17-2020, 09:13 PM
How much did you end up spending? I just looked it up and I think this is the exact chair I'm using at work so it's hard not to argue that it is a comfortable chair to be in for hours on end.

I want to say I paid just under 900 bucks because I choose some upgraded fabrics.

R-Audi
03-18-2020, 08:43 AM
Worth mentioning, COI (Herman Miller Dealer) also has a used section... I got a few chairs from them for work at a good price. They fix any damage prior to selling, so I think thats a better bet.

stillworking
03-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Recently picked up a Global G20 for $535 at Staples after negotiating with the manager. They were a cancelled special order distributed to stores on clearance, and I'm pleased with the chair.

flipstah
03-18-2020, 06:05 PM
Worth mentioning, COI (Herman Miller Dealer) also has a used section... I got a few chairs from them for work at a good price. They fix any damage prior to selling, so I think thats a better bet.

Thanks for this. I emailed COI and they have some in stock

I look after the used options we have here at COi. I hope you are keeping safe in these turbulent times.

I am forwarding you some photos of used chairs I have in inventory at this time. These chairs have been totally upgraded and are in prime used condition. The Aeron chairs usually sell for $495.00 each and the Mirra chairs - $395.00 each. The Mirra chairs I have come in either a blue, white or graphite back. Please let me know your requirements.

Zero102
03-19-2020, 02:22 PM
Thanks for this. I emailed COI and they have some in stock

Thanks so much for posting this! I am in the midst of hunting for a new (home) office chair and was trying to find something I liked as much as the Mirra I had at my last job. I hadn't even considered buying a used Mirra, and their pricing is super reasonable. I almost bought a HON Nucleus out of desperation.

2Legit2Quit
03-19-2020, 02:33 PM
Did COI mention if any used purchases come with any warranty at all? 12 year warranty on Herman Miller new stock is nice peace of mind.

flipstah
03-19-2020, 03:43 PM
Did COI mention if any used purchases come with any warranty at all? 12 year warranty on Herman Miller new stock is nice peace of mind.

Here's what they mentioned:

Used seating does not carry the Herman Miller 12 year warranty. Warranty only applies to the original purchaser. However all Herman Miller used seating that we sell has been completely reconditioned. We install, new armpads, backs, and seat pans as needed. So you would be getting a chair that is like new.

We have all the parts here for the Mirra chairs and so if anything goes wrong it is a quick fix at a reasonable price.

D'z Nutz
03-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Damn, that's pretty tempting. Thanks for that, flipstah

The_Rural_Juror
03-20-2020, 11:53 AM
I have had both the Aeron and Leap V2 for a number of years. My preference is the Leap by far.

D'z Nutz
03-20-2020, 12:17 PM
I have had both the Aeron and Leap V2 for a number of years. My preference is the Leap by far.

Any particular reason?

I can't decide between the Aeron or the Leap V2. I've used both so I know I like them. I was leaning towards the Aeron.

The_Rural_Juror
03-20-2020, 01:09 PM
Any particular reason?

I can't decide between the Aeron or the Leap V2. I've used both so I know I like them. I was leaning towards the Aeron.

It's a matter of preference. Leap V2 is much more comfortable. The mesh in the Aeron is over-rated. Both are great chairs. At one point we owned two of each at home. We ended up selling the Aerons after a few years. There are tons of Leaps on kijiji for great prices.

2Legit2Quit
03-20-2020, 01:14 PM
Embody 4 lyfe

flipstah
03-20-2020, 03:49 PM
Embody 4 lyfe

Sup sugar daddy

The_Rural_Juror
03-20-2020, 04:32 PM
I wanted to buy an Embody because it looks so cool, but the reviews are not as good and it did not feel as comfortable in the showroom to me.

2Legit2Quit
03-20-2020, 07:20 PM
It took over a week for me to dial the embody in and it's cash money now. I'm 6'5 so I love having control of the flex in the upper part of the chair for my shoulders.

I actually had some minor back pain for a few days because the chair forces you to sit properly, but find it very natural and comfortable now. I used an aeron for years but over time it became to rigid / uncomfortable on my shoulders and back of my knees.

Have been working from home full time for about 5 years now so between work and gaming, I needed something more comfortable than an aeron.

cam_wmh
03-21-2020, 12:10 AM
I gotta Aeron, and enjoy it -- but am spending way more time in it of course, with working from home F/T. Anyone gotta good suggestion for a matching(ish) foot stool/recliner?

sabad66
03-21-2020, 08:22 AM
I have a Mirra at work and an Aeron at home. I like the Aeron SLIGHTLY better but they are very close. Only shitty thing is the gas lift on my Aeron is starting to go so sometimes it just sinks down all the way. Pretty sure it’s an easy DIY fix so will probably check out some YouTube videos this weekend and order the parts

bjstare
03-21-2020, 09:21 AM
I think I might suck it up and get a good office chair soon. I've avoided it for a long time, as my long hours are typically at the office... now that that's a thing of the past, I think it'll be a worthwhile investment.

I really like the Embody, but I don't think I wanna drop that kinda money without sitting in it. But I also don't want to go into a showroom these days. fwp.

The_Rural_Juror
03-21-2020, 09:48 AM
www.allsold.ca appears to have a lot of used inventory.

flipstah
03-21-2020, 10:34 AM
I think I might suck it up and get a good office chair soon. I've avoided it for a long time, as my long hours are typically at the office... now that that's a thing of the past, I think it'll be a worthwhile investment.

I really like the Embody, but I don't think I wanna drop that kinda money without sitting in it. But I also don't want to go into a showroom these days. fwp.

We have several in a meeting room at work and they're comfy af. Lots of adjustment required to find the sweet spot though.

bjstare
03-21-2020, 11:03 AM
We have several in a meeting room at work and they're comfy af. Lots of adjustment required to find the sweet spot though.

Is your office as empty as everyone elses these days? Think they'd notice if one went missing?

ExtraSlow
03-21-2020, 11:40 AM
Think they'd notice if several went missing? I'll pay $80 cash money bro.

flipstah
03-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Is your office as empty as everyone elses these days? Think they'd notice if one went missing?

There are some still showing up at the office, but most are WFH. I'm pretty sure I'll be on the Wanted list if I pull one of those out. :rofl:

I wanted to take my Mirra 2 home and I got the look of "you might want to double-think that".

For now, I just have a simpleton chair that has height and tilt only.

Zero102
03-25-2020, 12:32 PM
I got my Mirra 2 yesterday - thanks again for the info about COI selling them used. It's wonderful to finally have a good chair at home!

killramos
03-25-2020, 12:33 PM
msommers you still working on a group buy?

sabad66
03-25-2020, 12:41 PM
I got my Mirra 2 yesterday - thanks again for the info about COI selling them used. It's wonderful to finally have a good chair at home!

What did that run you if you don’t mind me asking?

msommers
03-25-2020, 01:20 PM
msommers you still working on a group buy?

The best they'd do is 10% off. I'm still finding it hard to swallow $550 for a used chair....

killramos
03-25-2020, 01:22 PM
The best they'd do is 10% off. I'm still finding it hard to swallow $550 for a used chair....

Ahh fair enough. We are on the same page totally then.

For some reason I thought those weren’t used.

Disoblige
03-25-2020, 01:33 PM
Ahh fair enough. We are on the same page totally then.

For some reason I thought those weren’t used.
What are they new? I don't mind paying a bit more to have some peace of mind it wasn't used as a fart container for the last few years.
And also maybe the office chair market will increase due to all the WFH people these days...

killramos
03-25-2020, 01:38 PM
What are they new? I don't mind paying a bit more to have some peace of mind it wasn't used as a fart container for the last few years.
And also maybe the office chair market will increase due to all the WFH people these days...

1k++

flipstah
03-25-2020, 01:38 PM

If you gurgle a bit and close your eyes, it's easier to swallow.

No problemo! I wish I got a finder's fee

D'z Nutz
03-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Depending on the chair, you're looking at paying 2-3x more than what they're going for used. So some of the higher end chairs are easily over $1000 after all said and done, especially if you decide you want to put in your own customizations like fabric upgrades. The Herman Miller Embody is like $2000.

I ended up picking up a Steelcase Leap V2 from allsold.ca and I'm with it. It's in pretty good shape, minus a few scuffs here and there that I'd probably end up putting there myself eventually. It might even be in better condition than the one at work. It was a little dusty, but not a big deal cause I went over the chair with some Lysol, vinegar solution, laundry detergent solution, and finally something to mask the smell of the cleaning products haha

If anyone's looking to shop at allsold.ca, try and see if you can arrange a pick up at their warehouse. They have limited space, and therefore limited selection, at their storefront and not all the chairs were in the best shape. The lady there said the last couple of weeks have been pretty crazy for them.

killramos
03-26-2020, 09:48 AM
www.allsold.ca appears to have a lot of used inventory.

Do you have any experience with these guys?

I am getting to the point where I need to shit or get off the pot with this chair thing and I'm honestly not spending over a G on a chair at this point that will go back to never being used once WFH is done with.

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on the chair, you're looking at paying 2-3x more than what they're going for used. So some of the higher end chairs are easily over $1000 after all said and done, especially if you decide you want to put in your own customizations like fabric upgrades. The Herman Miller Embody is like $2000.

I ended up picking up a Steelcase Leap V2 from allsold.ca and I'm with it. It's in pretty good shape, minus a few scuffs here and there that I'd probably end up putting there myself eventually. It might even be in better condition than the one at work. It was a little dusty, but not a big deal cause I went over the chair with some Lysol, vinegar solution, laundry detergent solution, and finally something to mask the smell of the cleaning products haha

If anyone's looking to shop at allsold.ca, try and see if you can arrange a pick up at their warehouse. They have limited space, and therefore limited selection, at their storefront and not all the chairs were in the best shape. The lady there said the last couple of weeks have been pretty crazy for them.

Where is their warehouse? Selection good enough to bother with?

D'z Nutz
03-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Where is their warehouse? Selection good enough to bother with?

Not too sure, you'll have to give them a call and arrange it. When I went to the store, they had like 2 or 3 of each of the chairs I was looking at, but their website lists the number of units they have in stock as much more than that so you're bound to find something. I know they do allow pickups at their warehouse cause when I was testing the chair, the lady answered a call and told the other person they can but there were some caveats. I wasn't really paying attention, but I think you pretty much had to commit to a purchase and you had to pay with etransfer, which I guess makes sense cause they probably don't want to waste time with people dilly dallying at the warehouse and they don't have anything to process payments there; that's what the store is for.

My suggestion: if you're looking at getting a used Herman Miller, go with COI cause they're reconditioned based on flipstah's post. If you're gonna go with a Leap V2, go with allsold.ca cause there's 1400+ on their website so you're bound to find one that's good enough.

killramos
03-26-2020, 10:11 AM
Not too sure, you'll have to give them a call and arrange it. When I went to the store, they had like 2 or 3 of each of the chairs I was looking at, but their website lists the number of units they have in stock as much more than that so you're bound to find something. I know they do allow pickups at their warehouse cause when I was testing the chair, the lady answered a call and told the other person they can but there were some caveats. I wasn't really paying attention, but I think you pretty much had to commit to a purchase and you had to pay with etransfer, which I guess makes sense cause they probably don't want to waste time with people dilly dallying at the warehouse and they don't have anything to process payments there; that's what the store is for.

Cool, I might just swing over and see their store first before i commit to a chair I've never seen, I'm not really all that picky.

2Legit2Quit
03-26-2020, 10:13 AM
Embody's aren't that expensive as long as you don't buy from EQ3 anyway.

I went with upgraded fabric and the upgraded casters

https://i.imgur.com/EP2aG4L.png

This was me picking it up not delivered, you can spend more if you want some crazy baller fabric from Italy but I just went with a fabric that had a higher "double rub" count

D'z Nutz
03-26-2020, 10:15 AM
Cool, I might just swing over and see their store first before i commit to a chair I've never seen, I'm not really all that picky.

Just a heads up, there's no sign for the store. I drove passed it 4 times before I pulled into the parking lot and found it.

The entrance is in front of the grey pickup here:
https://goo.gl/maps/yawcXLJTsTYb1pJW8

Call them and let them know what you're looking for so they can pull it out for you before you get there. It's a bit of a mess in there.

Lex350
03-26-2020, 11:18 AM
So I work as a designer in the office furniture industry. Been doing this for 28 years. (For reference, I used to be the design director at both the Herman Miller dealer and a Haworth dealer - now at Steelcase) Just some of my recommendations:

1) As far as used goes, all the major dealers have a used inventory. They fluctuate depending on if they do a buy back from a major O & G company or net. There are two advantages I see to going this route. a) cleaning - Dealers aren't allowed to sell their used brand name chairs unless they do a deep clean. b) Warranty - You will still get a warranty on the chair if you buy it from the dealer. The usual warranty issue you might run into is the gas cylinder. Used Aeron chairs are prone to this.

2) I know it is hard to do now, but go try out a bunch of chairs. If you are going to spend $600 - $1000 on a chair, you should go sit in one. What may feel comfortable to you, won't necessarily feel comfortable to someone else. This is especially true when it comes to how the lumbar support is handled. Some have passive lumbar support built into the back others have a way of adjusting it. Using the Aeron as an example again, that chair has two different styles of lumbar support. If you are looking used, you will probably find the original lumbar. There is also the "Posture fit" that came out later which supports your back in a lower position. That's the one I prefer. While on the Aeron. It comes in 3 sizes. A, B and C. B is the size most people. If you want to determine what model you are looking at, there is a lip under the top of the back that will have 1,2 or 3 dots. (A,B or C)

3) No matter which chair you buy, get one with a sliding seat pan. This is particularly important if you have long legs. That way when you slide the pan forward the edge of the seat doesn't impact the circulation to your legs.

4) Chair recommendations. All f the majors make good chairs. I would stay away from Global or some of the other brands you find at Staples. Global (a Canadian company) does make a couple good chairs but they put out so many models and most of them are cheap.

Herman Miller chairs
Aeron - Obviously a classic chair. Most people buy this for the looks alone. It isn't a bad chair but it is 1994 technology. If you are looking purely for ergonomics then this isn't the best choice. I've had a couple of these over time. The nice thing about them is they wear well.

Mirra 2- When I was specifying these chairs before this was one of those chairs that people either loved or hated. I think it is a great chair and a way better value than the Embody. Larger people probably won;t like this chair.

Embody - I'll admit, I'm not a fan of this chair. Its ergonomics are already dated a bit, its expensive. (the most expensive on my list) and back when I was with the Miller dealer they had warranty issues. I'm sure they have fixed the bugs by now but, if you like the way it sits and you have the money.......

Haworth Chairs
Zody- this is their most popular chair. It has good ergonomics, comfortable back with a highly functional lumbar support. This is the most common chair they specify in large tenders or corporate clients.

Very - kind of like a base model Zody. Still had lots of features but at a better price point.

Fern - this is their newest offering. I really have no experience with this chair but the back design looks interesting. I imagine it might be their highest price point.

Steelcase chairs.

Gesture - This is Steelcase's top of the line chair. It has great ergonomics which includes a unique arm design that hinges at the back of the chair instead of the sides so it can still support you arms properly if you use a tablet or smart phone a lot. Imperial Oil's campus is standardised on these.
Leap - Very popular. Has all the ergonomic features too. I sit in this one but I'm not a huge fan. Like I keep saying , some chairs people will like, others won't. This chair always feel's too big for me. I like the way the Gesture forms to your body better. That said it is a good chair and there are lots in the market. If you like all black, you can get a value package version that has all the ergonomic features but is plain looking.

Series One - This is a relatively new chair. It was brought out to compete with the mid market chairs so the price point is much better. Under $600. It still has most of the ergonomic features and you can get it in all sorts of weird colours.

Steelcase as a bunch of chairs in the mid market you could also check out at a better price: Think, Amia mesh (Telus Sky standard)

One more chair. This one is sold at multiple dealers. It is an open like. Freedom chair by Humanscale. Humanscale is primarily an ergonomic company. They don't make panel systems or lateral files. The one feature that sets this one apart is the gel filled seat. It feels totally different. If you are looking at this chair, get the one with the headrest.

So my purpose is not to tell you which chair to buy, but which ones you might want to look at. If you have any questions about any of them or need a contact at one of the dealers I can get that for you. Its a small industry so I still talk with people at other dealers.

nismodrifter
03-26-2020, 12:34 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KWZH5PV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought 2 of these for our home office. Original intended use was for occasional short duration tasks (finishing paperwork etc). I am now sitting in it 8hrs per day. Super comfortable. If it wears out, I'll buy another. Quality is good for price (I'm actually impressed). Compliments from everyone on their appearance. Lumbar support is what I needed, and these hit the spot. Would definitely recommend.

R-Audi
03-26-2020, 01:46 PM
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KWZH5PV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Real wheels and knock off office chairs? tisk tisk.. jk.

Not everyone is interested in the Herman Miller Aluminum Group prices..or the price of finding parts when they break down. (More so vintage ones)

D'z Nutz
03-26-2020, 02:25 PM
So I work as a designer in the office furniture industry. Been doing this for 28 years. (For reference, I used to be the design director at both the Herman Miller dealer and a Haworth dealer - now at Steelcase) Just some of my recommendations:

<snip>

Great post Lex350, thanks for that. I hadn't used the Aeron for a few years so I wanted to test it out and I was instantly reminded what I disliked about it: the stupid arm rests are way too loose for my liking. They're too easy to knock out of place and it always bothered me. Plus the Leap has a sliding pan while the Aeron did not.

Off topic, but how does one get into the office furniture design business? I keep picturing George applying to be a bra salesman :rofl:

The_Rural_Juror
03-26-2020, 02:42 PM
Humanscale Summa. https://ca.humanscale.com/products/seating/summa-executive-conference-chair

Lex350
03-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Great post Lex350, thanks for that. I hadn't used the Aeron for a few years so I wanted to test it out and I was instantly reminded what I disliked about it: the stupid arm rests are way too loose for my liking. They're too easy to knock out of place and it always bothered me. Plus the Leap has a sliding pan while the Aeron did not.

Off topic, but how does one get into the office furniture design business? I keep picturing George applying to be a bra salesman :rofl:

lol....I took interior design in college. Also had a 3D rendering biz too. At first my buddies bugged me about it constantly until they showed up a the studio one day. In a class of 55 there were 52 girls. I'm ugly enough that I needed those kind of odds!

Zero102
03-27-2020, 09:34 AM
What did that run you if you don’t mind me asking?

They quoted me $395 for quantity 1 (implying they would discount a larger order), but I was able to talk them down a little bit. I think the current economic state has made them willing to move on price.

I live out of town so I paid COI directly and had a family member pick it up then drive it out to me as they work in transportation and drive out my way fairly often.

flipstah
03-27-2020, 10:47 AM
They quoted me $395 for quantity 1 (implying they would discount a larger order), but I was able to talk them down a little bit. I think the current economic state has made them willing to move on price.

I live out of town so I paid COI directly and had a family member pick it up then drive it out to me as they work in transportation and drive out my way fairly often.

Damn that's a nice snipe. If you got 3-350, that is a great deal for the Mirra 2.

sabad66
03-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Agreed. Great chairs, our entire office building uses those as the standard.

Refurbs really aren’t that bad. Good investment to prevent back pain while sitting long hours at home

sabad66
03-30-2020, 09:15 AM
So our company is now allowing us to book appointments to bring your office chair and/or monitors from the office to take home. I guess they foresee this mandated WFH going on for a while and want to make sure everyone has a good comfortable setup at home.

flipstah
03-30-2020, 09:25 AM
So our company is now allowing us to book appointments to bring your office chair and/or monitors from the office to take home. I guess they foresee this mandated WFH going on for a while and want to make sure everyone has a good comfortable setup at home.

Lucky. My company did a firm 'no' on the chairs.

jwslam
03-30-2020, 09:36 AM
Anyone going to their company requesting an ergonomic assessment? :rofl:

killramos
03-30-2020, 09:44 AM
Pretty sure no company I have ever worked for has actually owned the chairs.

They were baked into our leases.

flipstah
03-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Anyone going to their company requesting an ergonomic assessment? :rofl:

FakeWFH

2Legit2Quit
03-30-2020, 03:12 PM
Picked up a refurb Mirra 2 for the gf this afternoon, $350. Great shape and quality chair. Better than dropping ~$200 on a Staples or Crappy Tire special

Lex350
03-30-2020, 10:04 PM
Pretty sure no company I have ever worked for has actually owned the chairs.

They were baked into our leases.

If it is an O & G company...then they were probably bought. They all have major buying agreements to do this. In my experience, very few companies lease their furniture.

darthVWader
04-01-2020, 04:25 AM
We subleased 7 floors after our downsizing. The furniture was included in the sublease. Leaps in the offices, Thinks in the meeting rooms.

If it is an O & G company...then they were probably bought. They all have major buying agreements to do this. In my experience, very few companies lease their furniture.

killramos
04-01-2020, 07:24 AM
:dunno:

The_Rural_Juror
04-01-2020, 08:23 AM
:dunno::dunno:

flipstah
04-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Lex350

Picked up a Zody from HBI today. Lumbar support + mesh back is a gamechanger.

Lex350
04-03-2020, 06:03 PM
Who served you? There are two Haworth dealers in town BTW HBI and Office Concepts.

flipstah
04-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Who served you? There are two Haworth dealers in town BTW HBI and Office Concepts.

Tarah. She's great.

Nufy
04-04-2020, 05:30 PM
In person or were you able to order online and pick up ?

It looks like I will be WFH for the foreseeable future so I need something more comfortable.