PDA

View Full Version : Recent experience with cops at your door for pot smoking?

Pages : [1] 2

NissanFanBoy
12-28-2017, 11:33 PM
Read this today...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/pot-remains-illegal-despite-looming-federal-legalization/wcm/de7ea5b1-a766-4209-83dd-301818d32d64

Just curious, either from personal experience or friend's experiences, has anyone recently had the cops show up at your door because your neighbours complained? What was the outcome?

I haven't, but my wife's friend in McKenzie area had her neighbours call the cops because they were on the back patio smoking and the cop just told them to take it inside, this was back in the summer. :thumbsup: Keep in mind they are 30-ish white couple in the burbs...might be a whole different story if they were young dark skinned fellas in the NE maybe and giving the cops attitude?

I grew up in Vancouver spending my formitive years in the 90s and early 2000s, and this whole notion of cops taking smoking pot seriously is very foreign to me.

adam c
12-29-2017, 12:07 AM
I'm in the McKenzie area, and sometimes I smoke outside and sometimes I don't, haven't had the police show up yet but at the same time I have a license so I doubt there's a lot they could do anyways

But I also rarely smoke and only use it for quick relief

e31
12-29-2017, 01:42 AM
As a guideline, have some empathy for your neighbors.

If the cops roll by and break up your hippie jam-fest stoner drum circle, you are being a nuisance to someone. Its bad enough in mckenzie being beside the garbage dump, now there's another odour devaluing communities I suppose.

ercchry
12-29-2017, 02:19 AM
I can legally smoke anywhere you can smoke a cigarette... but with the stigma STILL around it (see above poster) I do shy away from smoking in public... well, smoking at all, vape or ingested usually

speedog
12-29-2017, 07:07 AM
I can legally smoke anywhere you can smoke a cigarette... but with the stigma STILL around it (see above poster) I do shy away from smoking in public... well, smoking at all, vape or ingested usually

Not yet but soon, July 2018 is the date that recreational marijuana use becomes legal.

Seth1968
12-29-2017, 07:57 AM
Not yet but soon, July 2018 is the date that recreational marijuana use becomes legal.

Selfie boy said he didn't know where that date came from :dunno:

Tik-Tok
12-29-2017, 08:36 AM
I think I've mentioned this before, but over 15 years ago my friends and I had the cops knock on their apartment door due to a complaint. They asked who was holding ( all of us), ran our names to check for warrants, then just said "You've smoked enough tonight, right? It's not legal YET" and left on their merry way. Didn't even confiscate our weed.

So while not recent, they've had a pretty lax attitide towards it when used in your own residence for quite a long time. At least if you are an otherwise fairly law obiding citizen, and aren't some piece of shit criminal or screaming "ARE YOU DETAINING ME?" :rofl:

If you have a prescription, you can right now.

blairtruck
12-29-2017, 08:40 AM

If the cops roll by and break up your hippie jam-fest stoner drum circle, you are being a nuisance to someone. Its bad enough in mckenzie being beside the garbage dump, now there's another odour devaluing communities I suppose.

yeah every night at around supper time my community is filled with the obnoxious food odor. if only the police could come and stop them from making the smelly food.

if you have your medical licence for weed. right now (and for years) you can smoke marijuana anywhere ciggys are allowed.

Seth1968
12-29-2017, 08:42 AM
I think I've mentioned this before, but over 15 years ago my friends and I had the cops knock on their apartment door due to a complaint. They asked who was holding ( all of us), ran our names to check for warrants, then just said "You've smoked enough tonight, right? It's not legal YET" and left on their merry way. Didn't even confiscate our weed.

So while not recent, they've had a pretty lax attitide towards it when used in your own residence for quite a long time.

Perhaps it's because they had no practical way to test for it, and maybe needed a warrant to search the house (giving you plenty of time to move the weed).

Either way, they had better things to do with their time, and the worst thing you guys would do, is fall asleep:)

Seth1968
12-29-2017, 09:31 AM
Here's the July 1st thingy:

The prime minister said it "would not be July 1," but that it would be "for next summer."

"The date will not be July 1, I can assure you of that," Trudeau said. "I don't know where that date came from."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/trudeau-says-cannabis-will-become-legal-next-summer-not-july-1-1.3728628

blairtruck
12-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Here's the July 1st thingy:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/trudeau-says-cannabis-will-become-legal-next-summer-not-july-1-1.3728628

with the upcoming price being double or more for what i can get now. I hope it never gets to prohibition 2.0 like is planned.

Seth1968
12-29-2017, 10:39 AM
I hope it never gets to prohibition 2.0 like is planned.

What do you mean?

Hallowed_point
12-29-2017, 11:22 AM

I totally agree. I've had to have conversations with room mates back in my renter days about that very thing. If you want to smoke cigs or weed, go to the park or the back yard. Because if I wake up smelling that crap at 1 AM , I'm gonna go
Randy Savage on your ass.

ercchry
12-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Not you, or they... but I... I can, so can blairtruck, and a few others... you probably could too, old people usually have a few medical conditions that would qualify... but as the government is trying to add the same tax to medical as rec, there might not be much benefit to it

A790
12-29-2017, 11:37 AM
I totally agree. I've had to have conversations with room mates back in my renter days about that very thing. If you want to smoke cigs or weed, go to the park or the back yard. Because if I wake up smelling that crap at 1 AM , I'm gonna go
Randy Savage on your ass.
r/iamverybadass :rofl:

syscal
12-29-2017, 11:37 AM
I looked up this Prohibition 2.0 and found this article.

https://www.cannabis.info/en/blog/new-law-in-canada-legalisation-or-prohibition-2-0

Joe consumes approximately 90 grams of cannabis per month recreationally.

I've never personally partaken, so I had to google "how many grams in a joint?".

So say you're using one gram per joint, which on my quick search might be on the high end of the scale, how can the example in that article of 90 grams per month recreational usage be real?

ExtraSlow
12-29-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm much happier to have neighbors that smoke pot and not cigarettes. Cigs are grosser IMO.

blairtruck
12-29-2017, 11:48 AM
have to wait and see the final answers and what each province picks. $280 an ounce plus taxes is way above street value if they are trying to get rid of black market. that wont work.

D'z Nutz
12-29-2017, 12:03 PM
At our condo's AGM meeting this spring, the topic of smoking pot in the building came up and the condo board's response was it couldn't be banned entirely unless all condo owners unanimously agreed to put a bi-law in place. Now I don't indulge or even like the smell, but I don't care if others do it (as long as its within the confines of private areas) and it's not my business to impose restrictions on other peoples' lifestyles just cause it's not the same as mine, but it was hilarious watching the owner of multiple rental units try and rally the troops to change the bi-law just to protect his investment. What a fucking idiot.

TomcoPDR
12-29-2017, 01:18 PM
At our condo's AGM meeting this spring, the topic of smoking pot in the building came up and the condo board's response was it couldn't be banned entirely unless all condo owners unanimously agreed to put a bi-law in place. Now I don't indulge or even like the smell, but I don't care if others do it (as long as its within the confines of private areas) and it's not my business to impose restrictions on other peoples' lifestyles just cause it's not the same as mine, but it was hilarious watching the owner of multiple rental units try and rally the troops to change the bi-law just to protect his investment. What a fucking idiot.

:rofl: Bi-law love it

max_boost
12-29-2017, 01:23 PM
Weed is life. It's key to my survival lol

Sugarphreak
12-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Hallowed_point
12-29-2017, 02:06 PM
^Totally. I don't care what drug(s) you wanna partake in, but find a way to neutralize the smell so that I'm not getting high with you or having my clothes in the closet smell like a head shop.

- - - Updated - - -

r/iamverybadass :rofl:

Not at all. I can be quite an affable fellow. But if someone asks you to stop something ignorant once it shouldn't happen again right? :)

With one stubborn pot addict in my old apartment building, someone left a business card from CPS with a handwritten note on the back that said "suspected dealer unit 4XX" He moved out the next week.

speedog
12-29-2017, 02:22 PM
yeah every night at around supper time my community is filled with the obnoxious food odor. if only the police could come and stop them from making the smelly food.

if you have your medical licence for weed. right now (and for years) you can smoke marijuana anywhere ciggys are allowed.

Note that I wrote "recreational".

speedog
12-29-2017, 02:27 PM
I looked up this Prohibition 2.0 and found this article.

https://www.cannabis.info/en/blog/new-law-in-canada-legalisation-or-prohibition-2-0

I've never personally partaken, so I had to google "how many grams in a joint?".

So say you're using one gram per joint, which on my quick search might be on the high end of the scale, how can the example in that article of 90 grams per month recreational usage be real?

What you might define as recreational usage levels for be totally different from someone else's definition. I'm lucky if I consume 6 alcoholic beverages a month while others might consider 60 an okay recreational amount on a monthly basis.

I haven't smoked weed in over 20 years and have no ailments that it would help even though I'm old as fuck.

ercchry
12-29-2017, 02:53 PM
^^^pretty sure “old as fuck” in itself qualifies you :rofl:

To be fair, you almost have to be right next to somebody to get a breath full of second hand cigarette smoke. Vaping goes a bit farther, but it usually smells like cotton candy or something somewhat pleasant. In comparison pot smells like a gross fart and it seems to waft for a very long distance. Sometimes I will be walking down the street and catch a strong whiff, but there won't be anybody within 100 feet of me. Same deal in apartment buildings.... somebody somewhere is trying to smoke on the balcony, but it gets into everyone's windows on that entire side of the building and stinks up their units.

If there was a way to neutralize the smell I don't think people would complain about it so much

Most of the buildings here have just outright banned any kind of smoking, not because they don't like it, but because it gives them a cheaper fire insurance. No smoking in units or on the balcony.

Then again, doesn't really stop people

The dry herb vapes are not like the subaru owner choochoo train ones... they don’t smell like typical weed smell... and if it’s one of the better ones used properly it’s barely a whisp of vapour being exhaled... it actually depends on the strain but it’s more like a very light incense... like the smell after someone who went to Easter mass would leave in their wake after they left the church... i’ve been casually using it before outdoors and people didn’t have a clue within 20ft of me... more like a double take then confirming their suspicions... yay technology!

J-hop
12-29-2017, 03:16 PM
^^^pretty sure “old as fuck” in itself qualifies you :rofl:

The dry herb vapes are not like the subaru owner choochoo train ones... they don’t smell like typical weed smell... and if it’s one of the better ones used properly it’s barely a whisp of vapour being exhaled... it actually depends on the strain but it’s more like a very light incense... like the smell after someone who went to Easter mass would leave in their wake after they left the church... i’ve been casually using it before outdoors and people didn’t have a clue within 20ft of me... more like a double take then confirming their suspicions... yay technology!

This.... the fact that the first post was referring to ‘ hippy drum circles’ again highlights how indoctrinated zealots some people are....

I’d rather hippy drum circles than wife beating, Busch beer drinking, puke circles..... oh that’s right, no intelligent person would think that is representative of the average alcohol consumer.

Sugarphreak
12-29-2017, 03:19 PM

Hallowed_point
12-29-2017, 03:23 PM
I really have zero problems with people using systems that don't stink

Same here! The issue for me is the lingering odor.

NissanFanBoy
12-29-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm actually just asking because I know someone who I feel is wacko enough to try and report us. I'm guessing they would just laugh at her over the phone or even hopefully chew her out for trying to waste valuable police resources.

Boggles my mind too that there are actually people out there who believe that the cops will bust down your door and haul your ass to jail and ruin your life because you're smoking a joint in the comfort of your home.....hmmm, maybe in Cardston?

A790
12-29-2017, 05:39 PM
^Totally. I don't care what drug(s) you wanna partake in, but find a way to neutralize the smell so that I'm not getting high with you or having my clothes in the closet smell like a head shop.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all. I can be quite an affable fellow. But if someone asks you to stop something ignorant once it shouldn't happen again right? :)

With one stubborn pot addict in my old apartment building, someone left a business card from CPS with a handwritten note on the back that said "suspected dealer unit 4XX" He moved out the next week.
All good man, I'm just razzing ya.

btimbit
01-02-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm much happier to have neighbors that smoke pot and not cigarettes. Cigs are grosser IMO.

Cigs are grosser for sure but the smell of pot carries more and is still nasty as hell.

I'd be annoyed if my neighbours smoked it outside

ExtraSlow
01-02-2018, 03:25 PM
It doesn't bother me, but then again, I'm pretty sure the stoner near me is the two middloe aged ladies that live a couple of houses down. They aren't out there huffing all day or anything.

J-hop
01-02-2018, 03:27 PM
This thread Reminded me of the house I used to rent. We rented the upstairs and there were two different tenants down stairs over our time there.

First tenant was an alcoholic, there was always yelling and fights on the weekends. A couple of times cops had to be called when windows got smashed and a door kicked in. Person eventually lost their job and moved out I assume because they were always hungover and couldn’t function at work.

Second tenant Smoked weed every day. Was quiet as a mouse, always paid us their share of the utilities on time. Was nice to be around, high functioning and never had any problems.

Can you guys which tenant was amazing to live with and which one was absolutely horrible to live with?

Hallowed_point
01-02-2018, 03:27 PM
Cigs are grosser for sure but the smell of pot carries more and is still nasty as hell.

I'd be annoyed if my neighbours smoked it outside

Yep. Some of these posters should be glad I'm not their neighbor..I have a zero tolerance policy. Go into the bush and smoke that stinky crap alone.
I don't care to join you.

Xtrema
01-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Both sucks but I think pot smell linger in air longer.

dj_patm
01-02-2018, 04:32 PM
have to wait and see the final answers and what each province picks. $280 an ounce plus taxes is way above street value if they are trying to get rid of black market. that wont work.

It's been a very long time since I bought of a guy but isn't it still usually $60 a quarter? So $240 an ounce? (Ignoring any discounts he might give you)

I'd gladly pay an extra $10 a quarter and have the selection, piece of mind and convenience of going to a dispensary and buying it legally.

ercchry
01-02-2018, 04:36 PM
It's been a very long time since I bought of a guy but isn't it still usually $60 a quarter? So $240 an ounce? (Ignoring any discounts he might give you)

I'd gladly pay an extra $10 a quarter and have the selection, piece of mind and convenience of going to a dispensary and buying it legally.

Some of these websites (that are not official LPs) are as little as $30ish/quarter... some strains from the actual medical system can be close too... with compassion pricing

btimbit
01-02-2018, 04:47 PM
If there was a way to neutralize the smell I don't think people would complain about it so much

That's my only complaint about it is the smell. If someones doing it in a way that doesn't stink I have no problem with it, illegal or not. But the flip side of that, even when it is legal and you live next to me and stink up the entire block, you're an inconsiderate douche

sabad66
01-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Yep. Some of these posters should be glad I'm not their neighbor..I have a zero tolerance policy. Go into the bush and smoke that stinky crap alone.
I don't care to join you.

Why should pot smokers be glad you’re not their neighbour? Are you going to go kick their ass for smoking on their front porch or back yard? Good luck with that one

/r/toughguy ;)

I wonder if vegetarians get this wound up when people grill meat and stink up the block?

blairtruck
01-02-2018, 05:10 PM

i dont buy from a guy anymore. but street was like 60/quarter 200/ounce. I buy online from many of the 100s of online dispensary that deliver to you by mail.
top top top of the line ounce of weed is around 280 ounce online. thats what is called AAAA or topshelf. most ounces AAA go around 150-180 that equals the quality of what LPs are pushing out. so $100 more per ounce for around the same quality. sale ounces just happened for blackfriday. some at $99 an ounce for decent street level weed. so almost triple the cost of what they want to sell for 10/g plus taxes.

Tik-Tok
01-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Both sucks but I think pot smell linger in air longer.

You don't typically see pot smokers going out for a toke hourly though.

Hallowed_point
01-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Why should pot smokers be glad you’re not their neighbour? Are you going to go kick their ass for smoking on their front porch or back yard? Good luck with that one

/r/toughguy ;)

I wonder if vegetarians get this wound up when people grill meat and stink up the block?

No, I’ll just make them move or get them booted out. Or make the area really unappealing to them. Again, I don’t care if you smoke pot. Go into your garage if you must smoke where others can breath in your smoke. Or smoke inside your house. I don’t want to smell that skunky crap and I’m not alone. It’s not the drug that’s the issue, it’s some of the users.

JRSC00LUDE
01-02-2018, 08:11 PM
No, I’ll just make them move or get them booted out. Or make the area really unappealing to them.

:rofl: that just reminded me of the old holier than thou codetrap neighbouring skills. Something along the lines of if my neighbours don't behave how I expect, I'll explain to them how to get in line/make them uncomfortable till they conform to MY beliefs of neighbourin! However it went, it was highly sanctimonious passive aggressive malarkey masqueraded as "caring". Hahaha

Not equating you to that, it just made me remember it!

btimbit
01-02-2018, 08:12 PM
No, I’ll just make them move or get them booted out. Or make the area really unappealing to them. Again, I don’t care if you smoke pot. Go into your garage if you must smoke where others can breath in your smoke. Or smoke inside your house. I don’t want to smell that skunky crap and I’m not alone. It’s not the drug that’s the issue, it’s some of the users.

Especially with all the odorless ways to consume. So inconsiderate to smoke up around your neighbors

ercchry
01-02-2018, 08:16 PM
What makes up the top 10 pet peeve neighbourhood smells?!

1. Home business nail salons
2. ethnic cooking
3. Cig smoke

btimbit
01-02-2018, 09:29 PM
What makes up the top 10 pet peeve neighbourhood smells?!

1. Home business nail salons
2. ethnic cooking
3. Cig smoke

None of those in my neighborhood. Actually for the first time in my life I think I'm in a smell free neighborhood lol

Are home nail salons actually that popular and smelly?

killramos
01-02-2018, 09:37 PM
You mean you don't get dragged off directly to the remand center for smoking a doobie in your back yard?

What kind of society do we live in...

roll_over
01-02-2018, 10:42 PM

Not to mention all the coal rolling idiots and the fact that the area is generally a shit hole to begin with

btimbit
01-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Not to mention all the coal rolling idiots and the fact that the area is generally a shit hole to begin with

I think the houses are too close in areas like that to even smoke cigarettes without the people 2 houses down knowing about it, let alone pot

Hallowed_point
01-03-2018, 08:20 AM
You mean you don't get dragged off directly to the remand center for smoking a doobie in your back yard?

What kind of society do we live in...

LOL..one can dream :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
01-03-2018, 09:16 AM
LOL..one can dream :thumbsup:

So you have no problem illegal street racing, which could potentially kill someone, but pot smokers toking in their yard belong in jail?

I'm begining to realize some of you aren't just conservative leaning, but outright fascists. :rolleyes:

Hallowed_point
01-03-2018, 09:49 AM
So you have no problem illegal street racing, which could potentially kill someone, but pot smokers toking in their yard belong in jail?

I'm begining to realize some of you aren't just conservative leaning, but outright fascists. :rolleyes:

No, I don't think illegal street racing is ok. While maybe under "controlled" circumstances in Mexico. 2 PM on Deerfoot? Not a chance.
Anyways we are getting off topic here. Most of my comments are in jest but I find some pot smokers to be very ignorant and stubborn.
If you use it to medicate or chill out that's your business. But why should I have to breath that in when you're smoking it in public or
in your condo in the winter because you don't want to get cold?

HiTempguy1
01-03-2018, 11:10 AM
No, I don't think illegal street racing is ok. While maybe under "controlled" circumstances in Mexico. 2 PM on Deerfoot? Not a chance.
Anyways we are getting off topic here. Most of my comments are in jest but I find some pot smokers to be very ignorant and stubborn.
If you use it to medicate or chill out that's your business. But why should I have to breath that in when you're smoking it in public or
in your condo in the winter because you don't want to get cold?

I'm 100% on your side. And bylaw ABSOLUTELY will be giving out tickets, I can guarantee it. Noxious smells and airborne intoxicants are completely a legitimate complaint. Condo boards will crack down on that shit, with $300/fine tickets in a condo, dope smokers will be kicked out after the 2nd ticket costing the rental owner $600.

Pretty easy as well to get the condo owners information and inform them directly that someone is hotboxing their condo on a continuous basis.

Hallowed_point
01-03-2018, 11:20 AM
I'm 100% on your side. And bylaw ABSOLUTELY will be giving out tickets, I can guarantee it. Noxious smells and airborne intoxicants are completely a legitimate complaint. Condo boards will crack down on that shit, with $300/fine tickets in a condo, dope smokers will be kicked out after the 2nd ticket costing the rental owner $600.

Pretty easy as well to get the condo owners information and inform them directly that someone is hotboxing their condo on a continuous basis.

My brother has a prescription so I get it but he's considerate and will smoke in his garage where it doesn't bother anyone.

Yep, I had to report my neighbor as he kept doing it even after I let him know that the smell was going into my bedroom through the ducting. He was really choked
but it stopped.

J-hop
01-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Sorry but have to point out the ignorance. Contact high outside of a unventilated “hotbox” situation has been debunked over and over again. Calling the smell from your neighbors joint an “airborne intoxicant” is like saying an o’douls is a fluid born intoxicant.

But again the utter oblivion some people live in is being demonstrated really well here. Trust me you are seeing the small fraction of pot users, most you won’t even realize.

sabad66
01-03-2018, 12:16 PM
I'm 100% on your side. And bylaw ABSOLUTELY will be giving out tickets, I can guarantee it. Noxious smells and airborne intoxicants are completely a legitimate complaint.

Bylaw will give tickets for people smoking in their backyards after its legal? Source?

Tik-Tok
01-03-2018, 12:24 PM
And you guys talk about millenials being little snowflakes :rofl:

Unhhhh, my neighbor farted and in wafted into my safe space,I'm calling bylaw!

Hallowed_point
01-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Bylaw will give tickets for people smoking in their backyards after its legal? Source?

Is it that hard to just be a good neighbor? how about I start using spray bombs in my back yard. After all, it's my back yard.
Oh it's giving you a headache? Well it's my right to use them.

J-hop
01-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Unhhhh, my neighbor farted and in wafted into my safe space,I'm calling bylaw!

Haha sig worthy

sabad66
01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Is it that hard to just be a good neighbor? how about I start using spray bombs in my back yard. After all, it's my back yard.
Oh it's giving you a headache? Well it's my right to use them.

This is the trade off for living in a city. I hate the smell of fire pits but would I tell my neighbour to shut theirs down on a nice summer night? Hell no. Vegetarians I’m sure can’t stand the smell of bbq’d meat. Is their neighbour a bad neighbor when they bbq? How about cigarettes? Where do u draw the line? Weed because it’s the one you particularly don’t like?

btimbit
01-03-2018, 01:15 PM
How about we at least meet in the middle and ban the shitty strains that smell like dead skunk and carries for miles

max_boost
01-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Just take the cannabis oils. No smell, nothing

J-hop
01-03-2018, 01:41 PM
How about we at least meet in the middle and ban the shitty strains that smell like dead skunk and carries for miles

That’s the great thing about legalization. No longer is it going to be a “take what I can get” market

btimbit
01-03-2018, 01:45 PM
That’s the great thing about legalization. No longer is it going to be a “take what I can get” market

Hopefully. But beer is legal and people still buy Lucky. I think there will still be lots of people that think "weed is weed" and just get the cheapest dirtiest stinkiest shit they can

HiTempguy1
01-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Nuisance bylaws are very vague. Absolutely they will if someone keeps getting called.

And make no mistake, there will be bylaws going in for all cities about it. Its not a legal right to allow someone to smoke cigarettes wherever they please (10m from a public entryway IIRC is the new rule for a public building entrance). With that in mind, no way it'll just be "we can smoke weed wherever we want!" type crap. The best thing about legalizing it is now it won't be criminal proceeding against dope smokers, it'll be all bylaw and civil based with very high fines. :thumbsup:

Just like noise complaints, when somebody gets a $1000 ticket (did that to a party house in Red Deer, bylaw fines escalate, they stopped after the parents had a ticket for $1k on the 4th violation) they smarten up quickly.

Weed stinks, it lingers, and I don't need to be concerned with the health affects (regardless of what exspurts like J-Hop who have done extensive research on the subject know). I feel the exact same way with cigarettes.

J-hop
01-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Hitemp, I’m not trying to act like an expert but thinking you’re going to get a second hand high from your neighbor smoking pot is ludicrous

Disoblige
01-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Hitemp, I’m not trying to act like an expert but thinking you’re going to get a second hand high from your neighbor smoking pot is ludicrous
Nvm

sabad66
01-03-2018, 03:19 PM
Nuisance bylaws are very vague. Absolutely they will if someone keeps getting called.

And make no mistake, there will be bylaws going in for all cities about it. Its not a legal right to allow someone to smoke cigarettes wherever they please (10m from a public entryway IIRC is the new rule for a public building entrance). With that in mind, no way it'll just be "we can smoke weed wherever we want!" type crap. The best thing about legalizing it is now it won't be criminal proceeding against dope smokers, it'll be all bylaw and civil based with very high fines. :thumbsup

Nobody said anything about smoking anywhere you want and of course there will be some bylaws around this. But this discussion around smoking at your own house in your back yard or front porch. As far as I know, you can’t call bylaw on someone for smoking a cig outdoors at their own house, so why do you think that will be allowed for smoking pot after it’s legal?

blairtruck
01-03-2018, 05:33 PM
im gonna vent my legal grow towards Hallowed_point house.
my wife uses those smelly dryer balls that make the laundry smells like different smells. wonder if the neighbours on the vent side care it smells like cupcakes outside right now.

ercchry
01-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Just take the cannabis oils. No smell, nothing

Unless you’re making it at home... cause $90/5g is insane prices!

PS: Calgary already has a weed smoking bylaw... for those that can smoke it now legally... it mirrors that of the cig smoking bylaw

NissanFanBoy
01-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Wow lol..I just made this thread to find out Calgary cop's attitudes towards smoking illegal weed in your own house :dunno:

Seth1968
01-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Wow lol..I just made this thread to find out Calgary cop's attitudes towards smoking illegal weed in your own house :dunno:

Meh. That's par for the course, and also what makes it fun:)

Tik-Tok
01-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Unless you’re making it at home... cause $90/5g is insane prices!

PS: Calgary already has a weed smoking bylaw... for those that can smoke it now legally... it mirrors that of the cig smoking bylaw

Where are you buying? I get 45ml for $90, and only need about 0.2ml per dose. (double that if its for fun)

ercchry
01-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Where are you buying? I get 45ml for $90, and only need about 0.2ml per dose. (double that if its for fun)

Basically every LP does 30-45ml=5g (for prescription tracking) and they range from $75-90

If all you want is high THC you can usually make the same thing at home for $35... with 40mg/ml thc

90_Shelby
01-03-2018, 10:51 PM
This is the trade off for living in a city. I hate the smell of fire pits but would I tell my neighbour to shut theirs down on a nice summer night? Hell no. Vegetarians I’m sure can’t stand the smell of bbq’d meat. Is their neighbour a bad neighbor when they bbq? How about cigarettes? Where do u draw the line? Weed because it’s the one you particularly don’t like?

A few years back I was burning wood in my fire pit mid day in the summer time. My next door neighbor was having a kids birthday party at the same time. He came over and asked me to put the fire out because smoke was coming over where the kids were and I immediately grabbed the hose and put the fire out. Why? Because i’m A considerate neighbor. Pot smokers should be the same way.

Hallowed_point
01-04-2018, 09:29 AM
A few years back I was burning wood in my fire pit mid day in the summer time. My next door neighbor was having a kids birthday party at the same time. He came over and asked me to put the fire out because smoke was coming over where the kids were and I immediately grabbed the hose and put the fire out. Why? Because i’m A considerate neighbor. Pot smokers should be the same way.

End of thread right here.

blownz
01-04-2018, 01:52 PM
I noticed a few people saying they can smoke pot anywhere people can smoke cigs, but I thought (and correct me if I am wrong...) that smoking pot in public was like alcohol and not allowed in public places at all. Both now and after it is legalized. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
01-04-2018, 02:04 PM
I noticed a few people saying they can smoke pot anywhere people can smoke cigs, but I thought (and correct me if I am wrong...) that smoking pot in public was like alcohol and not allowed in public places at all. Both now and after it is legalized. :dunno:

The difference is prescription vs recreational.

A790
01-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Easy solution: get a vape and solve the problem.

Hallowed_point
01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Easy solution: get a vape and solve the problem.

:clap:

JordanEG6
01-04-2018, 03:11 PM
I don't see a problem with smoking in the comfort of your own home. I have a medical card and buy it legally, so I can smoke on my property if I want. I am courteous though, I won't smoke if my neighbors have kids playing outside.

But if someone complains about the smell, do cops actually have the green light to do anything? So what if your neighbors don't like the smell? As someone pointed out, if vegans didn't like the smell of cooked meat from a grill or if someone doesn't like burning fire smells from fire pits, can one call the cops to complain and have it stopped? To me, it seems ridiculous. If you don't like the smell, tough shit. It's not like you're going to get high from smelling it in another yard.

ercchry
01-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Waiting for one of the nimby’s on here to go off on a neighbour... who is smoking to get through chemo :rofl:

Hallowed_point
01-04-2018, 04:06 PM
Waiting for one of the nimby’s on here to go off on a neighbour... who is smoking to get through chemo :rofl:

If they already have cancer, smoking it probably isn't the best option :angel:

NissanFanBoy
01-04-2018, 04:21 PM
I don't see a problem with smoking in the comfort of your own home. I have a medical card and buy it legally, so I can smoke on my property if I want. I am courteous though, I won't smoke if my neighbors have kids playing outside.

But if someone complains about the smell, do cops actually have the green light to do anything? So what if your neighbors don't like the smell? As someone pointed out, if vegans didn't like the smell of cooked meat from a grill or if someone doesn't like burning fire smells from fire pits, can one call the cops to complain and have it stopped? To me, it seems ridiculous. If you don't like the smell, tough shit. It's not like you're going to get high from smelling it in another yard.

This is more on topic... Even if they show up at your door, my understanding is they can't come in and search unless they have a warrant. No judge is going to give a search warrant so a cop can search your house for a joint, grow op maybe. I don't have a grow op and by basements windows are uncovered and would welcome a cop to have a look all they want from the outside. I hear your car is a difference story though they can search it much much easier.

craigcd
01-04-2018, 06:14 PM
i dont buy from a guy anymore. but street was like 60/quarter 200/ounce. I buy online from many of the 100s of online dispensary that deliver to you by mail.
top top top of the line ounce of weed is around 280 ounce online. thats what is called AAAA or topshelf. most ounces AAA go around 150-180 that equals the quality of what LPs are pushing out. so $100 more per ounce for around the same quality. sale ounces just happened for blackfriday. some at $99 an ounce for decent street level weed. so almost triple the cost of what they want to sell for 10/g plus taxes.

Off topic...... but wait thats a thing? You can just order it haha

btimbit
01-04-2018, 06:30 PM
I definitely am curious about bylaws when it comes to smoking, both now and after legalisation. Will it be like drinking where you can only drink in establishments or at home, or will it be like smoking a cigarette where you can pretty much do it anywhere outside. And more on topic, I wonder if there will be bylaws about the smell. Will it maybe be like the noise bylaw, where you can be as loud as you want until someone complains? Because the idea of a neighbour smoking in their backyard doesn't bother me other than it sometimes being stinky as hell

speedog
01-04-2018, 08:37 PM
If they already have cancer, smoking it probably isn't the best option :angel:

Probably depends on the type of cancer though.

Hallowed_point
01-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Probably depends on the type of cancer though.

Any form of smoke inhalation is not gonna do your body any good over the long term. Edibles or teas/gummies would be an alternative.

JordanEG6
01-05-2018, 10:40 AM
I definitely am curious about bylaws when it comes to smoking, both now and after legalisation. Will it be like drinking where you can only drink in establishments or at home, or will it be like smoking a cigarette where you can pretty much do it anywhere outside. And more on topic, I wonder if there will be bylaws about the smell. Will it maybe be like the noise bylaw, where you can be as loud as you want until someone complains? Because the idea of a neighbour smoking in their backyard doesn't bother me other than it sometimes being stinky as hell

Although I can understand why people don't like the smell as I hate it myself, bylaws for the smell is ridiculous IMO. No one would give a shit about the smell if there wasn't a stigma attached to it. Sure it stinks, but it doesn't smell bad enough outside to warrant calling the police/bylaw officer. It's peoples' excuse to stick it to stoners minding their own business. Cigarette/cigar smoke outside is also very unpleasant smelling and there are no laws regarding that, (that I know of anyway).

I usually vape. It's much cleaner, less smelly and not at all harsh for the lungs and you can actually taste the nuances of the terpenes of the different strains. Sounds pretentious as I type that lol, but some of them smell and taste good when heated, not burnt/smoked.

ercchry
01-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Any form of smoke inhalation is not gonna do your body any good over the long term. Edibles or teas/gummies would be an alternative.

They really don’t do the same thing... vape kind of is as close as it gets, especially with the on set and length of effects... but it’s still different and it’s surprisingly difficult so convert some old joint smokers to anything else

NissanFanBoy
01-05-2018, 12:20 PM
I smoke out of a regular old pipe, never smells anything like a rolled joint, my wife and I even smoke it in hotel rooms without anyone noticing, the slight smell is gone in minutes...we even smoked it in our Banff Springs Hotel room on our wedding night lol

btimbit
01-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Although I can understand why people don't like the smell as I hate it myself, bylaws for the smell is ridiculous IMO. No one would give a shit about the smell if there wasn't a stigma attached to it. Sure it stinks, but it doesn't smell bad enough outside to warrant calling the police/bylaw officer. It's peoples' excuse to stick it to stoners minding their own business. Cigarette/cigar smoke outside is also very unpleasant smelling and there are no laws regarding that, (that I know of anyway).

I usually vape. It's much cleaner, less smelly and not at all harsh for the lungs and you can actually taste the nuances of the terpenes of the different strains. Sounds pretentious as I type that lol, but some of them smell and taste good when heated, not burnt/smoked.

Guess we just disagree, I find the smell of cheap weed worse than a dead skunk and the fact that it seems to linger and woft further than cigarette stench is what makes it worse. No stigma around the drug for me. It's just stinky.

If more people were like you and vaped, id have no complaints if everyone on my block was smoking on their front lawn

JordanEG6
01-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Guess we just disagree, I find the smell of cheap weed worse than a dead skunk and the fact that it seems to linger and woft further than cigarette stench is what makes it worse. No stigma around the drug for me. It's just stinky.

If more people were like you and vaped, id have no complaints if everyone on my block was smoking on their front lawn

For sure, I understand. To be clear, my comment wasn't directed at you specifically. Just saying most people that hate the smell of weed, hate the idea of weed being smoked around them as opposed to the actual smell itself. :)

Also, for the joint smokers, just get one of these:

90_Shelby
01-05-2018, 01:39 PM
I smoke out of a regular old pipe, never smells anything like a rolled joint, my wife and I even smoke it in hotel rooms without anyone noticing, the slight smell is gone in minutes...we even smoked it in our Banff Springs Hotel room on our wedding night lol

Shit like this is extremely ignorant. I had a room of stoners tossed out of Moose Hotel in Banff this fall for also thinking the same thing. Honest question, you may or may not have kids, but how would you feel about having your 1.5 year old kid and pregnant wife exposed to this type of situation? Would you smoke pot in your home with them in the next room?

Tik-Tok
01-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Shit like this is extremely ignorant. I had a room of stoners tossed out of Moose Hotel in Banff this fall for also thinking the same thing. Honest question, you may or may not have kids, but how would you feel about having your 1.5 year old kid and pregnant wife exposed to this type of situation? Would you smoke pot in your home with them in the next room?

Yes, because 2nd hand smoke (from pot or cigarette's) from the next room over wouldn't affect the health of a pregnancy or 1.5 year old. Also that 1.5 year old kid is going to grow up in a world where pot is legal for adults to do, and will have as much stigma attached to it as alcohol.

Would you stay in a hotel where your neighbors are drinking? OMGZZ!!! They're drinking beer and I can SMELL IT!!!!!

That said, if they were hot-boxing and smoke was coming out from beneath the door, I would knock and ask them to open a window.

J-hop
01-05-2018, 02:30 PM
How many parents out there put their kids outside while cleaning the house with harsh chemicals that produce toxic fumes?

btimbit
01-05-2018, 02:32 PM
How many parents out there put their kids outside while cleaning the house with harsh chemicals that produce toxic fumes?

Dumb question. Obviously you just make the kids use the chemicals while you go outside

gretz
01-05-2018, 02:46 PM
I 'member when smoking in restaurants / bars was legal... How many of you (as kids) had to wear a gas mask when going out for dinner / to a friend or relatives where smoking inside was taking place?

HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE? I hope your parents hollowed_pointed the shit out of the dirty smokers...

Tik-Tok
01-05-2018, 02:48 PM
The ignorance in this thread makes me realize why it's been illegal for so long.