PDA

View Full Version : Affordable sound bar for 1970 Blazer?

Ekliptix
01-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Hi, I have a 1970 blazer and am planning to improve the stereo slightly. Currently there's a head unit with 2 6x9's in boxes sitting on the rear wheel wells. I can barely hear them. I already have sound deadener on order as there's a lot of road noise coming into the cab. I don't want to cut into any panels to mount speakers.

Soundbar - I've found some golf cart/UTV amplified sound bars that I could hang from the roof behind the front side, however they appear to start at $600. I'm looking for a more affordable solution.
Kick panels - There are kick panels available for the front which are not a bad idea except I my parking brake and floor mounted high-low headlight switch is down there and would need to be moved to accommodate the kick panels.
Under the dash - I could mount a shallow speaker under the dash, likely down-facing.

Any other ideas, please share them.

G

Picture because.
https://i.imgur.com/aoxZKV8h.jpg

Tik-Tok
01-08-2018, 01:04 PM
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=67

I've got one in my old Ford, the speakers sucked, so I replaced them, but works well. (not sure if you can order it without the speakers or not)

Ekliptix
01-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Thanks, that'd work for a pick up but the blazer roof continues backwards and I don't want the front half being that item and the rear being white. Too conspicuous. Thanks for the idea.

ercchry
01-08-2018, 02:25 PM

Not a great shot, but I think these pics are on my old phone... or posted in my build thread

But you can kinda see what I did in my old wagon, if you have similar panels it wouldn’t take much to cut out some new ones and wrapping them in matching material so you can preserve the originals

Tik-Tok
01-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Thanks, that'd work for a pick up but the blazer roof continues backwards and I don't want the front half being that item and the rear being white. Too conspicuous. Thanks for the idea.

I see them painted as well. Though you would have that lip unfortunately.

Nufy
01-08-2018, 02:57 PM
What about an old Jeep TJ soundbar...

There was a few on Kijiji last time I looked...

Ekliptix
01-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Good point about painting, Tik-Tok.
Nufy, I've seen those jeep soundbars on kijiji. They basically hold 2 round speakers and have a light in the middle. Not bad, but a bit cumbersome compared to a sound bar.