PDA

View Full Version : Another What To Buy (Lease) Thread

brucebanner
01-09-2018, 09:20 AM
So I'm in no panic to be switching vehicles but I find myself wanting to, so if I find something and it's a good deal, I'll likely switch.

I'm currently driving a Golf R and really enjoy driving this car but I do miss the size of something bigger. My previous two vehicles were trucks. Loved the space but boring to drive. So that brings me to think I'd want to drive a "sporty" suv or wagon. Can't be a sedan as I have a dog and I don't want her on the seats.

Just don't really know what's out there in that segment.

Budget? I'm not one of the beyond ballers, so nothing over 100k unfortunately. I'd love a e63 amg wagon but that isnt in the cards for me.

I'd like to stay in the 60k~ range.

What's worth looking at?

klumsy_tumbler
01-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Base macan, maybe? Or V70 polestar?

mzdspd
01-09-2018, 11:09 AM
A4 All road? Or even a used SQ5?

sarah_t34
01-09-2018, 11:26 AM
C300 Wagon? It's within your price range even if you option it out.

NissanFanBoy
01-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Am I nuts, but 60 Gs just because you can is still pretty baller lol I mean I guess it's all relative but 60 is definitely well into luxury car territory, 100 is just insane!

Carry on...

lilmira
01-09-2018, 11:48 AM
S5 SB?
It's not going to be easy to upsize and stay within the budget without losing too much fun factor of the Golf R.

Xtrema
01-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Am I nuts, but 60 Gs just because you can is still pretty baller lol I mean I guess it's all relative but 60 is definitely well into luxury car territory, 100 is just insane!

Carry on...

Remember that if it's a lease, you are only on the hook for half of that price.

brucebanner
01-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Good suggestions so far guys, didn't even think of Volvo.

I realize 60k is a nice budget to work with but we all would like to spend more than we can or choose to lol.

I get that I won't be able to keep the same fun factor as the R but if I can keep some of it, that would be great, whi le having more space to work with.

Xtrema
01-09-2018, 12:20 PM
I assume you want new since you said lease.

QX70
XC60
Base Macan

Not many SUV will lives up to R. And we don't really have a lot of wagon choices here.

ercchry
01-09-2018, 12:26 PM
I have this heavy dog seat cover for my sedan, it works really well... wouldn’t use dogs on the seat as an excuse, and yeah big dogs (plural) and it completely protects the leather from any signs of them

NissanFanBoy
01-09-2018, 12:52 PM
I have this heavy dog seat cover for my sedan, it works really well... wouldn’t use dogs on the seat as an excuse, and yeah big dogs (plural) and it completely protects the leather from any signs of them

I'll say something productive, don't get an SUV, nothing comes close to the fun factor of your R, but a lot of sedans do!

ganesh
01-09-2018, 01:31 PM
Base Macan
X4
GLA45 AMG (http://www.mercedesbenzcalgary.com/view/25/2017-Mercedes-Benz-GLA45-AMG.html)

shakalaka
01-09-2018, 01:41 PM
The SQ5, GLA 45, or the new X3 M40i sounds like would good options for you. Mid-size SUV's all relatively powerful and more room than the Golf (maybe not the GLA lol).

brucebanner
01-09-2018, 05:16 PM
GLA45 would be awesome but it's the same size as the R.

I understand I won't be getting the same performance out of anything I change to. So I'll give up the fun factor of the R, for more power and vehicle space. I'd prefer not to get into something that makes less power than the R.

Keep in mind, the R is essentially a 2 seater for me. I'm 6'4 and my fiancè is 5'9. Back seats are useless. Put our dog in the hatch with or without the seats down and we don't have much of any storage space.

errchry I haven't ruled out sedans 100% but pretty close. I really like wagons for some reason and also just figure a suv to be a better overall fit. Long as I can get something that isn't COMPLETELY boring to drive.

Volvo seems to have some interesting options.

dirtsniffer
01-09-2018, 05:20 PM
sierra 1500 with the 6.2

Xtrema
01-09-2018, 05:39 PM
You want a SUV with more power and space than a Golf R for $60K?

Does that even exist?

GLC45/SQ5/X3M all starts at ~$62 with no or little options.

Ford Edge Sport with 315HP and 0-60 of 5.6s may fit the bill? It's far from sporty but at least it's under budget and loads of power.

mzdspd
01-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Volvo seems to have some interesting options.

Volvo definitely has some nice wagons. The V60 polestar is nice because it has lots of power but the interior is very outdated. The seats are nice but I think it would feel outdated vs your R.

They are supposed to be releasing an updated V60 in the next year so I would wait for that if you want a volvo. Or look at the V90.

brucebanner
01-09-2018, 06:03 PM
An SUV or wagon haha. I'm not sure if it exists but I definitely wanted to put the question out there. There has been some great suggestions so far. I could increase budget a bit but don't really want to.

Definitely don't want an Edge, fiancè drives a '14 and while it does everything she needs and wants, I just don't care for it.

I do like the look of the new Explorers, I had good luck with the EB in my trucks. I'd imagine it would be as boring as the edge though.

Drove a sierra with a 6.2, I preferred the EB in my F150

dimi
01-09-2018, 06:13 PM
glc43 or x3m40 is the car for you, but you will have to up your budget a bit.

90_Shelby
01-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Volvo definitely has some nice wagons. The V60 polestar is nice because it has lots of power but the interior is very outdated. The seats are nice but I think it would feel outdated vs your R.

They are supposed to be releasing an updated V60 in the next year so I would wait for that if you want a volvo. Or look at the V90.

I really like the V90 R-Design but they start at $60k and can easily run up to $85-90k. For that price the performance isn't good enough for me but man do they look good!

relyt92
01-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT? Fast, big, nice inside.

shakalaka
01-09-2018, 09:26 PM
^Good choice but probably more closer to $80K'ish. To the OP though, if you can swing it, it'd be high up on my list.

swak
01-09-2018, 09:35 PM
^Good choice but probably more closer to $80K'ish. To the OP though, if you can swing it, it'd be high up on my list.

THIS.
Or a Range Rover Evoque! Sexy crossover!

relyt92
01-09-2018, 09:39 PM

Looking on Auto Trader could be had for mid 70's before negotiating so probably right at the top of the budget. I didn't even know it existed until just now but there's a Durango SRT for even more space. http://www.autotrader.ca/a/dodge/durango/cochrane/alberta/5_35892883_ct20051278353663/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=5&pc=T2B%202S3&sprx=50

ExtraSlow
01-09-2018, 09:56 PM
The evoque is gross.
Get the V8 Durango. Sure it's a boat, but you won't feel bad when you dog damages it, and it's got a hemi.

shakalaka
01-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Looking on Auto Trader could be had for mid 70's before negotiating so probably right at the top of the budget. I didn't even know it existed until just now but there's a Durango SRT for even more space. http://www.autotrader.ca/a/dodge/durango/cochrane/alberta/5_35892883_ct20051278353663/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ursrc=pl&urp=1&urm=5&pc=T2B%202S3&sprx=50

Yup. SRT's are nice and was quite high on my list. But after getting bored of the X5M fairly quickly, I figured perhaps SUV's just aren't for me which is why I am going for a sedan again this time around.

ercchry
01-10-2018, 01:49 AM
The problem with the SRT is that you now have to deal with Chrysler service... nothing is worth that

Xtrema
01-10-2018, 09:40 AM
The problem with the SRT is that you now have to deal with Chrysler service... nothing is worth that

I found Big 4 service is best in town. But SRT is $75-$80K and even worse if you lease due to low residuals.

The Evoque is quit tiny inside.

If Volvo slap that T8 eAWD into the V90, it's sound s like an awesome daily driver. 400HP/472lb/ft and 30km electric range. Sounds awesome on paper. 0-100 around 5.3s on the heavier(?) XC60.

ercchry
01-10-2018, 10:29 AM
Best in town is still not great... big4 still gets orders from corporate when it comes to warranty work, you know what makes a vehicle really impractical to drive?! When it uses a quart of oil/tank of fuel and Chrysler claims that’s “within spec” but puts you on an oil consumption program where ONLY that dealer can put oil in the thing to track usage... and after 6 fucking months of the same damn thing... they still just don’t have the data they need to actually do anything about it!

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2018, 10:34 AM
SQ5/Macan or GLA45 are probably the only things close to your price range that will give you the same or similar feels as a Golf R.

Those Volvo R-designs are boring af to drive, I've tired 3 of them now. Super nice cars though, and Volvo's B&W audio system is probably the best factory system I've ever heard.

Xtrema
01-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Those Volvo R-designs are boring af to drive, I've tired 3 of them now. Super nice cars though, and Volvo's B&W audio system is probably the best factory system I've ever heard.

I'm approaching as something Plug-in Hybrid with AWD that can run on electricity alone. Volvo with T8 eAWD is the only game in town (I think).

After that you will have to pick up a Volt or Prius Plug-In hybrids which are FWD only.

And almost 500lb/ft of torque doesn't hurt either.

R-Design is just body kits and stuff like M Sport anyway. Can't wait Polestar get their hand on them.

brucebanner
01-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Jeep SRT would be a good choice if the price was right. Not sure how service is here, I live just north of Red Deer and potentially moving just west of Edmonton sometime this year, don't know how these dealerships compare to the horror stories in Calgary.

I'm in no panic to make the change, just wanting to get into something different again.

It's too bad they didn't put the R kind of power or better in the allroad.

ercchry
01-10-2018, 03:06 PM
^^^they do! ...but they call it an Audi :rofl:

mzdspd
01-10-2018, 03:07 PM

The allroad has the same 0-60 time as the R (in manual) at 5.2 seconds. It also has a better AWD system then the R. They really are not that far apart and with that 2.0T, you can always tune for more power. I would definitely suggest trying one out.

Jeep SRT, tough to beat the sound of that V8 :drool: The jeep is just on another playing field vs the Audi though. Way more power but worse mileage and more weight (definitely wont handle or feel as nimble as the R).

I would try to narrow your search down; figure out if you are looking for a straight line power (SRT) or just something that looks sporty and is fun to drive.

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Jeep SRT would be a good choice if the price was right. Not sure how service is here, I live just north of Red Deer and potentially moving just west of Edmonton sometime this year, don't know how these dealerships compare to the horror stories in Calgary.

I'm in no panic to make the change, just wanting to get into something different again.

Sounds like you're looking for an Audi A4 Allroad. Very similar performance and you can always flash the ECU.

The SRT-8 is a POS with lots of power, if you're looking at German cars I don't think you will be impressed, never mind the nightmare of having to deal with a Chrysler dealership for service.

Disoblige
01-10-2018, 03:24 PM
I drove a 2017 Audi Allroad and was quite pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. It looked very luxurious inside and the power (252 HP, 273 lb-ft torque) was good.

brucebanner
01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
I never did like the dodge interior when I was truck shopping. I preferred the ford and gm interiors. The SRT would be lots of fun in a straight line plus v8 sound.

I like the interior of the R, I'm sure I'd like the allroad as much or more. Maybe allroad + tune is the answer. I haven't been keeping vehicles long enough to worry about warranty issues lately anyway haha.

Ideally (dream world) I want something that reminds me of the R for fun factor but has more space.

Xtrema
01-11-2018, 12:58 AM
https://jalopnik.com/2019-ford-edge-st-so-this-is-happening-1821975831

J-hop
01-11-2018, 09:06 AM
Best in town is still not great... big4 still gets orders from corporate when it comes to warranty work, you know what makes a vehicle really impractical to drive?! When it uses a quart of oil/tank of fuel and Chrysler claims that’s “within spec” but puts you on an oil consumption program where ONLY that dealer can put oil in the thing to track usage... and after 6 fucking months of the same damn thing... they still just don’t have the data they need to actually do anything about it!

That would be horrible. Wonder what they hope to get out of it? If your engine is overconsuming oil right from the start there is literally nothing that can be determined from tracking it long term other than how many litres/km you use. Which still is going to tell you the exact same thing that you need to tear the block down.

I wonder why they are doing this to you? Defer costs?

Disoblige
01-11-2018, 09:11 AM
Gross.

bjstare
01-11-2018, 10:39 AM
I saw Volvos mentioned in here... why isn't OP looking at a V60 Polestar? They're super hard to come by, but all the reviews say they're great.

jutes
01-11-2018, 11:16 AM
I saw Volvos mentioned in here... why isn't OP looking at a V60 Polestar? They're super hard to come by, but all the reviews say they're great.

Volvo interiors are blah.

Disoblige
01-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Volvo interiors are blah.
The climate control always makes me chuckle. Looks like a lazy fat guy.

04_dc5
01-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Sounds like you're looking for an Audi A4 Allroad. Very similar performance and you can always flash the ECU.

The SRT-8 is a POS with lots of power, if you're looking at German cars I don't think you will be impressed, never mind the nightmare of having to deal with a Chrysler dealership for service.

I have a B9 Allroad. I haven't looked much into performance mods but a drop and wheels does wonders for the car in terms of sportiness. (see photo)

It's pretty quick getting up to highway speeds and the interior qualty is nice (especially the virtual cockpit), but one thing to keep in mind is the car is pretty long. Longer than most full size SUVs. So throwing it around corners will be a lot different than your R.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3754/33365254075_66d61c5183_h.jpg

blownz
01-11-2018, 01:34 PM

The dash really needed some work imo. Other than that it is a solid choice. Assuming they keep the price close to the old Sport there isn't really anything that can compete with it from a performance standpoint. Especially from Japan or Korea.

faiz999
01-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Honestly, I'd go back to a truck if I were you. You can probably get a nice Ram 1500 sport for 46k or ball out and get a 2017 f150 platinum for around 65k.

They give you the size and power you want, at the price you want.

For the suv market, it's tough because the sportier suvs with good power are quite a bit more than 60k. They also don't have much selection aside from the aforementioned SRT offerings or GMs with the 6.2L.

I don't know how you'd feel getting a subaru forester xt, but it comes with performance that's close to the R and more space. It's kind of a downgrade but its well within your budget and they offer some nice lease rates, unlike the above options.

Disoblige
01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Too bad we don't get the Golf R SportWagen. It would be perfect for what he needs. But, the Allroad will be a close second. New ones are expensive, gently used might be the way to go here.

brucebanner
01-11-2018, 03:38 PM
That allroad looks great. As I said before, I'm in no panic to make a change but it's been crossing my mind.

Back to a truck isn't completely out of the question but I just wanted something more fun to drive.

jutes
01-11-2018, 05:15 PM
What about a BMW 440i Gran Coupe? Good power stock and with a JB4 piggy almost 400/400 to the wheels. Lots of storage space too.

shakalaka
01-11-2018, 05:24 PM
What about a BMW 440i Gran Coupe? Good power stock and with a JB4 piggy almost 400/400 to the wheels. Lots of storage space too.

OP feel free to try out mine before I get rid of it in a couple of weeks lol. I've got the M Performance 1 and 2 packages which includes a tune to 365hp or something and an exhaust.

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2018, 10:47 AM
I have a B9 Allroad. I haven't looked much into performance mods but a drop and wheels does wonders for the car in terms of sportiness. (see photo)

It's pretty quick getting up to highway speeds and the interior qualty is nice (especially the virtual cockpit), but one thing to keep in mind is the car is pretty long. Longer than most full size SUVs. So throwing it around corners will be a lot different than your R.

Gorgeous car. Audi makes the best wagons, but they sell so few of them here :cry:

brucebanner
01-12-2018, 01:34 PM
OP feel free to try out mine before I get rid of it in a couple of weeks lol. I've got the M Performance 1 and 2 packages which includes a tune to 365hp or something and an exhaust.

I appreciate the offer!