PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Liberity or Jeep Patriot

jabjab
01-09-2018, 08:03 PM
I'm looking at both of these as a winter car and a daily driver in the used market. I know they are both different type of vechiles but I like the looks of them. Anyone own either? I'm particular interested in the CVT transmission found in the automatic Patriot.

Looking to spend up to 6k, thoughts and opinions please

revelations
01-09-2018, 08:53 PM
There was a thread here a while ago - the Liberty is junk.

Tik-Tok
01-09-2018, 09:42 PM
Wife has a 2010 Patriot, but manual. Not exactly an exciting vehicle, only issue in 4 years of ownership has been the lower control arm after first year. They went to shit because OEM's don't have zerks to grease the bearings. Aftermarkets do though.

A friend has a Liberty, and hates it.

ShermanEF9
01-09-2018, 09:47 PM
there are many better options.

G-ZUS
01-09-2018, 10:38 PM
Cvt in patriot is garbage

J.M.
01-09-2018, 11:56 PM
My aunt has owned a ‘04 Liberty since new and it’s junk. It has less than 160k on it so far and it’s constantly needing some sort of repair. Latest repairs were a cracked radiator and the alternator failed. The window controls are also located on the center console instead of on the door panel which is a stupid design imo.

jabjab
01-10-2018, 08:10 AM
It's got decent reviews on car and driver but I do want something reliable. My other options are a pathfinder, xtrail, or xterra

jwslam
01-10-2018, 09:09 AM
Drove a '02 Liberty for 16 months.
Nothing mechanically wrong with it for me. Just lots of little stuff like the motor blower resistor (the interior fan can only be set to barely blowing or full blast; the 2 and 3 didn't work). The rear wiper was toast and I couldn't figure out why. It felt very high centered and taking corners was super slow all the time for me. The V6 wasn't bad for pick-up though once you make it through the corner. Gas was awful: http://www.fuelly.com/index.php/car/jeep/liberty/2002/lamster/317214

My mother had a '10 Compass (same platform as Patriot) for 2ish years brand new. Very gutless but other than that it got from A to B no problems. Gas wasn't too bad, probably around 10ish L/100km. I don't remember anything more about it.

jabjab
01-10-2018, 09:27 AM
Drove a '02 Liberty for 16 months.
Nothing mechanically wrong with it for me. Just lots of little stuff like the motor blower resistor (the interior fan can only be set to barely blowing or full blast; the 2 and 3 didn't work). The rear wiper was toast and I couldn't figure out why. It felt very high centered and taking corners was super slow all the time for me. The V6 wasn't bad for pick-up though once you make it through the corner. Gas was awful: http://www.fuelly.com/index.php/car/jeep/liberty/2002/lamster/317214

My mother had a '10 Compass (same platform as Patriot) for 2ish years brand new. Very gutless but other than that it got from A to B no problems. Gas wasn't too bad, probably around 10ish L/100km. I don't remember anything more about it.

I think I've taken the Liberty out of the equation. The compass doesn't come in AWD so Patriot is still on the list amongest the list of NIssan's I mentioned earlier

revelations
01-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Perhaps post the body style youre looking for? Much easier to make informed recommendations that way - eg. Small, reliable winter DD, SUV ?

jabjab
01-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Perhaps post the body style youre looking for? Much easier to make informed recommendations that way - eg. Small, reliable winter DD, SUV ?

Looking for something something mid sized to small, decent on gas, reliable, that will be used primary as a winter ride and some daily driving in the summer when I don't want to take my summer car out for errands. AWD is a must

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-10-2018, 09:53 AM
02-07 Subaru Impreza Wagon with a manual.

revelations
01-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Looking for something something mid sized to small, decent on gas, reliable, that will be used primary as a winter ride and some daily driving in the summer when I don't want to take my summer car out for errands. AWD is a must

Not sure why AWD is a must (does not help with stopping or turning - the biggest issues in these conditions), but with those requirements - a Honda FIT with the latest, studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 tires - essentially makes you a danger on the road because your level of stopping and turning grip in these conditions is so much better than everyone else's. :rofl:

A FIT has more interior room inside than many smaller SUVs, much lower centre of gravity and is better in pretty much every area (reliability, cost of ownership, etc.)

r3ccOs
01-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Not sure why AWD is a must (does not help with stopping or turning - the biggest issues in these conditions), but with those requirements - a Honda FIT with the latest, studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 tires - essentially makes you a danger on the road because your level of stopping and turning grip in these conditions is so much better than everyone else's. :rofl:

A FIT has more interior room inside than many smaller SUVs, much lower centre of gravity and is better in pretty much every area (reliability, cost of ownership, etc.)

honda element AWD is absolutely solid, though expensive for the year they are solid

jabjab
01-10-2018, 10:28 AM

I would have never considered a Honda Fit but I will have a look into them , only concern with them is ground clearance. The area I live in gets accumulations of snow that get pretty deep and they don't plow till a few days later.

revelations
01-10-2018, 10:35 AM
I would have never considered a Honda Fit but I will have a look into them , only concern with them is ground clearance. The area I live in gets accumulations of snow that get pretty deep and they don't plow till a few days later.

If you are in the NE and your alleyway is facing north and gets dumped with wind blown snow from the open fields, then a higher ground clearance vehicle would be a better idea.

I drive around (about 7 years now) a sightly lowered Civic hatch, and with studded winter tires, I've yet to get stuck anywhere and I drive all over the city. The tires have that much grip.

jabjab
01-10-2018, 10:59 AM
If you are in the NE and your alleyway is facing north and gets dumped with wind blown snow from the open fields, then a higher ground clearance vehicle would be a better idea.

I drive around (about 7 years now) a sightly lowered Civic hatch, and with studded winter tires, I've yet to get stuck anywhere and I drive all over the city. The tires have that much grip.

I live in the NW and the wind gusts leave piles of snow at the end of the street and the blvd. I will go and test drive a Fit and get a feel for the interior space.

NissanFanBoy
01-10-2018, 11:23 AM

Jabjab...I bought my 2009 Murano for this very reason, I added a set of brand new Blizzaks on steelies and it's been perfect but I've been wanting to sell it now as I just hate driving such a big vehicle... Let me know if you're interested as I'm sure I can sell it to you for your budget if I can find a good deal on my next car...it has 280xxx km on it and runs like new, the only thing that doesn't work right now is the AC but the windows defrost just fine without it...also it's the first year of the second gen style, dark blue SL trim no leather (warmer in winter without it anyways but still has the seat warmers). Oh ya, great on gas with the CVT, was serviced @ 255,000ish km before I bought it from an old couple in the NW. I just put in a new alternator and did oil changes. Great on gas annd feels normal because Nissan added fake shift points to it for this year..also not slow as fuck like those other vehicles you mentioned including the Nissans. Also, no NAV but has back up cam and dual sunroofs, plus stock set of rims with all seasons in addition to the steelies on Blizzaks ( used for about 5000km). Oh and Carproof showed a couple fender benders.

ShermanEF9
01-11-2018, 07:10 PM

my girlfriend has only ever gotten stuck once.. and SUVs were getting stuck. other than that shes loved hers. the 15+ has a ton of options and great value for the price. its been very good to us. its also one of the few cars you can still get in a manual in top trim levels.

jabjab
01-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Jabjab...I bought my 2009 Murano for this very reason, I added a set of brand new Blizzaks on steelies and it's been perfect but I've been wanting to sell it now as I just hate driving such a big vehicle... Let me know if you're interested as I'm sure I can sell it to you for your budget if I can find a good deal on my next car...it has 280xxx km on it and runs like new, the only thing that doesn't work right now is the AC but the windows defrost just fine without it...also it's the first year of the second gen style, dark blue SL trim no leather (warmer in winter without it anyways but still has the seat warmers). Oh ya, great on gas with the CVT, was serviced @ 255,000ish km before I bought it from an old couple in the NW. I just put in a new alternator and did oil changes. Great on gas annd feels normal because Nissan added fake shift points to it for this year..also not slow as fuck like those other vehicles you mentioned including the Nissans. Also, no NAV but has back up cam and dual sunroofs, plus stock set of rims with all seasons in addition to the steelies on Blizzaks ( used for about 5000km). Oh and Carproof showed a couple fender benders.

Send me a PM with what you're asking and maybe a few pics, thanks

NissanFanBoy
01-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Send me a PM with what you're asking and maybe a few pics, thanks

Ok, just having an issue with a smell of gas inside for one day, need to get that sorted out first...I posted in another thread, it might be cold weather related but still should be fixed.