PDA

View Full Version : Blenders

HiTempguy1
01-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Was on the fence about it because who can really justify a $750 blender

...You couldn't just buy a $25 blender for this experiment you are partaking in? Oh boy...

speedog
01-08-2018, 01:27 PM
...You couldn't just buy a $25 blender for this experiment you are partaking in? Oh boy...

Beyond ballers scoff at $25 blenders.

spike98
01-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Agree'd. There is no way this thing is better than my $200 ninja blender, food processor, and nutri-ninja combo from costco.

HiTempguy1
01-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Agree'd. There is no way this thing is better than my $200 ninja blender, food processor, and nutri-ninja combo from costco.

I'm not really dissing the guy, if he wants a stupid expensive appliance, then great. But this goes Beyond (ha!) just simply "spending money" when even Bojack Horseman makes fun of the Vitamix. Its a blender. It blends things. I'm sure there are plenty of expensive blenders, but $750 god damn dollars? Jeez loius! Especially to "try" and be healthier. I could even understand if you were some vegan freak and had to make everything edible by being able to slide it down your throat in smoothie form.

adidas
01-08-2018, 04:37 PM
I'm not really dissing the guy, if he wants a stupid expensive appliance, then great. But this goes Beyond (ha!) just simply "spending money" when even Bojack Horseman makes fun of the Vitamix. Its a blender. It blends things. I'm sure there are plenty of expensive blenders, but $750 god damn dollars? Jeez loius! Especially to "try" and be healthier. I could even understand if you were some vegan freak and had to make everything edible by being able to slide it down your throat in smoothie form.

It really is worth the money, albeit I have the cheaper $600 model, but it's a night and day difference in comparison to whatever walmart, bestbuy, etc. sells.

mzdspd
01-08-2018, 05:13 PM
It really is worth the money, albeit I have the cheaper $600 model, but it's a night and day difference in comparison to whatever walmart, bestbuy, etc. sells.

I would agree. I had the top of the line ninja and the vitamix still does a way better job. My wife and I use it daily and want it to last so justifiable.

birdman86
01-08-2018, 09:33 PM

It's bonus season, I regret nothing :bigpimp:

But in all honesty, I've burnt out three magic bullets over the last two years making smoothies, so it's not really a gamble on that front. What I'm getting is actually smooth smoothies, plus a machine that can make and warm soup, chop veggies, make nut butters, kneed bread or pizza dough, grind flour, sorbet's, probably more - those are just the things on my list.

So call it $75/year for the cheap blenders. In seven years, that's $525 for chunky smoothies, the frustration of having to constantly replace it, completely subpar generic blending performance, and nothing else. Vs. a vitamix that comes with a proven 7 year warranty - I'm paying $590 (with the discount) and getting jugo juice quality smoothies and a ton of new options. All it needs to do is last to like 7.5 years and it's paid for itself, so end of the day it was a no brainer.

speedog
01-08-2018, 10:17 PM
It's bonus season, I regret nothing :bigpimp:

But in all honesty, I've burnt out three magic bullets over the last two years making smoothies, so it's not really a gamble on that front. What I'm getting is actually smooth smoothies, plus a machine that can make and warm soup, chop veggies, make nut butters, kneed bread or pizza dough, grind flour, sorbet's, probably more - those are just the things on my list.

So call it $75/year for the cheap blenders. In seven years, that's $525 for chunky smoothies, the frustration of having to constantly replace it, completely subpar generic blending performance, and nothing else. Vs. a vitamix that comes with a proven 7 year warranty - I'm paying $590 (with the discount) and getting jugo juice quality smoothies and a ton of new options. All it needs to do is last to like 7.5 years and it's paid for itself, so end of the day it was a no brainer.

Weren't you the one that said "this'll help me get my fruits and greens in, plus cereal's getting really old."

So were you using your magic bullets for your fruits and greens or not because your initial post would indicate that you weren't using blenders previously for such.

Disoblige
01-08-2018, 11:17 PM

I have a high-end Ninja and used a Vitamix numerous times.

Vitamix wins hands down. I regret getting the Ninja.

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-10-2018, 10:39 AM
I have a high-end Ninja and used a Vitamix numerous times.

Vitamix wins hands down. I regret getting the Ninja.

Someone gave me a ninja for free, and I still don't like using it.

ercchry
01-10-2018, 10:48 AM
I have the ninja blender/processor combo that shares a motor (sits on top) both have multiple blades, only thing that’s annoying is not being able to add ingredients to the food processor while it’s on (like slow stream of oil for making mayo)

I’m happy I haven’t experienced anything better, cause I really don’t want to spend $750 on a blender! :rofl:

killramos
01-10-2018, 11:11 AM
My ninja pro has been great as well?

I can't say I have ever needed more blending features than it provides but I don't fault those who do...

People spend money on dumb shit all the time why should blenders be any different.

kJUMP
01-10-2018, 11:17 AM
we're really happy with a blendtec blender purchased from costco for <$400 on special three years back. it does pretty much everything you would want/need, apart from more advanced "food processing". i would argue that the one distinct advantage it has over vitamix is that the blade is dull, so i'm not stressed out about getting cut when cleaning. and you have to hand wash it at some point - just putting some soap + water and running the blender doesn't always work depending on what you make. only thing to note is the motor did conk out about 1 year in, we just took it to costco and they sent us a brand new one no questions asked. no issues since then.

Seth1968
01-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Paid $100 for my Ninja about 3 years ago and it's used almost daily for blending frozen fruit.

Similar to this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ninja-1000w-professional-blender-0432653p.html#srp

To each his own, but I could never justify spending much more than that for a blender.

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2018, 11:28 AM
I went from the most expensive top of the line 1200W Ninja to a Vitamix Pro300 and there is no comparison whatsoever, it's not even close. The Vitamix has so much more power and quality is night and day better. The end result is also much better.

The difference between the $750 and $600 Vitamixes is just presets, so you can save some cash there. Not everyone needs a Vitamix but if you blend a lot it's a no-brainer if you want the best result. I was in the "who needs a $600 blender" camp until I got one, and then it was easy to see why they are so popular. It's very much a "you get what you pay for" scenario. If you're just making the odd milkshake or whatever, yeah you definitely won't see the same value in it. Blending big smoothies with seeds and such in it, you will notice a huge difference.

Seth1968
01-10-2018, 11:51 AM
I went from the most expensive top of the line 1200W Ninja to a Vitamix Pro300 and there is no comparison whatsoever, it's not even close. The Vitamix has so much more power and quality is night and day better. The end result is also much better.

With my model of Ninja ($100), I easily blend frozen fruit or can mulch ice. So how does a Vitamix blend "better"?

schocker
01-10-2018, 11:58 AM
we're really happy with a blendtec blender purchased from costco for <$400 on special three years back. it does pretty much everything you would want/need, apart from more advanced "food processing". i would argue that the one distinct advantage it has over vitamix is that the blade is dull, so i'm not stressed out about getting cut when cleaning. and you have to hand wash it at some point - just putting some soap + water and running the blender doesn't always work depending on what you make. only thing to note is the motor did conk out about 1 year in, we just took it to costco and they sent us a brand new one no questions asked. no issues since then.
I have a blendtec and my mom has a vitamix. Vitamix seems more stout but I like the features better of the blendtec for the price. Mainly the height so it fits under the counter, and the buttons (Smoothie, ice cream etc.) instead of the dial. Both are very powerful and very well built.

rage2
01-10-2018, 12:02 PM
The difference between the $750 and $600 Vitamixes is just presets, so you can save some cash there. Not everyone needs a Vitamix but if you blend a lot it's a no-brainer if you want the best result. I was in the "who needs a $600 blender" camp until I got one, and then it was easy to see why they are so popular. It's very much a "you get what you pay for" scenario. If you're just making the odd milkshake or whatever, yeah you definitely won't see the same value in it. Blending big smoothies with seeds and such in it, you will notice a huge difference.
I thought it was retarded when we got one. Who the hell uses a $600 blender? The answer is, kids. Smoothies, smoothie popsicles, can't believe fruits and veggies are such high demand in the house haha.

I still think it's retarded and have yet to use it for myself. But this milkshake thing sounds intriguing...

lint
01-10-2018, 12:24 PM
I've had my Vitamix 5000 since 2004. Won't die, so I can't upgrade. Made baby food for 3 kids, smoothies, shakes, soups, fruit roll ups, rice flour etc etc. Never had an issue going on 14 years now. It just works, never had a problem with it.

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2018, 12:46 PM
With my model of Ninja ($100), I easily blend frozen fruit or can mulch ice. So how does a Vitamix blend "better"?

Anything will blend frozen fruit, even my $30 Magic Bullet could with enough liquid. It's the quality of both the blend and the machine/components/longevity that you are paying for. You should see the motor they put in those things, and the units weigh around 13lbs. For basic blending and if you aren't overly concerned with the result, you don't need a Vitamix. If you need to pulverize seeds, get rid of any "grit" in a complicated smoothie or make soups, butters, etc. you need something much better than a Ninja. There is a reason why you see Vitamixes in all the Jugo and Booster juice places as well, they do a way better job on smoothies and last forever. If you just make a frozen fruit blend or a milkshake every now and then, or don't really care about the end result, a Vitamix would still be better but yeah you probably don't need one.

vengie
01-10-2018, 12:47 PM
The people bashing Vitamix have just never had a smoothie made in one, or nice fresh hot soup courtesy of their blender. :love:

Not to mention, they last forever.

Disoblige
01-10-2018, 12:57 PM
Ninja is the Hyundai of blenders. Paper specs good, but doesn't perform as well as you thought it would.

Strider
01-10-2018, 01:07 PM
I went from an Oster blender to the top of the line Nutribullet to Vitamix. They all blend frozen fruit and ice but the Vitamix smoothies are smoother, thicker (don't need to be watered down), and more homogenous. Think slurpee vs milkshake consistency wise. I too didn't think there would be much improvement to be gained by going to a Vitamix until I bought one on a stupid deal on shop.ca.

I've used mine for baby food, smoothies, popsicles, soup, hummus, nut butters. The start-to-finish soup in the blender thing is a stupid gimmick, most vitamix soup recipes require cooking in some form, and even if they don't, sauteing/browning the ingredients improves the flavor enough that it's worth cooking it separately anyways.

dirtsniffer
01-10-2018, 01:13 PM
soup in a vitamix lol. why not just heat it in a pot...

vengie
01-10-2018, 01:22 PM

Because you aren't making canned soup.

You're making homemade soup, from scratch.

Trust me, its amazing.

Strider
01-10-2018, 01:23 PM

It sounds great in theory... Throw a handful of garden fresh tomatoes in the blender, turn it on and come back to delicious hot tomato soup in 6-8 minutes. You have to blend it anyways, so you skip watching the stove, stirring, washing the pot.

But anything like squash, cauliflower, potato you'll have to cook anyways. If you use garlic/onions in your soup, then you'll want to saute it for flavor and to prevent bitterness. So at that point, you might as well bring out a pot and cook it in there then blend - then you also don't have to put up with the noise.

Disoblige
01-10-2018, 01:27 PM
I think if you were to go on a diet, Vitamix soup would be really convenient. It might not tastes like the best soup you ever had, but it's decent enough and healthy.

I always liked the taco vegetable soup they have as a recipe:
Tomato, celery, carrots, garlic, some bouillon, taco seasoning, water, that's it.

adamc
01-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Go look at any smoothie place, Thai Tai, Booster Juice, Jugo Juice, etc. They are all running either Vitamix or Blendtec commercial blenders, and there's a reason for that - they trounce Ninja/Oster/Etc.

The way the blenders at that price deal with ice is just next level. I'm in the middle of trying to copy some of Thai Tai's recipes for a project I'm working on in Toronto, and it's Vitamix all the way.

jdmXSI
01-10-2018, 02:35 PM
I had plenty of the $25-50 walmart blenders and they only last about a year and they crap out just from making smoothies... Had a magic bullet for bit but it was never powerful enough to blend and I had to keep taking out the cup, shaking it and put it back in to move shit around. Its now been about 2 or 3 years now since I got a Vitamix and that thing is pretty amazing, never tried the soup thing though...

dirtsniffer
01-10-2018, 02:42 PM
It sounds great in theory... Throw a handful of garden fresh tomatoes in the blender, turn it on and come back to delicious hot tomato soup in 6-8 minutes. You have to blend it anyways, so you skip watching the stove, stirring, washing the pot.

But anything like squash, cauliflower, potato you'll have to cook anyways. If you use garlic/onions in your soup, then you'll want to saute it for flavor and to prevent bitterness. So at that point, you might as well bring out a pot and cook it in there then blend - then you also don't have to put up with the noise.

the noise is the big thing for me, I would have to leave my main floor entirely if I wanted to do that haha. I remember one time they were demoing it at williams sonoma when i was in there. you could barely talk to the person at the counter.

Mitsu3000gt
01-10-2018, 03:11 PM
the noise is the big thing for me, I would have to leave my main floor entirely if I wanted to do that haha. I remember one time they were demoing it at williams sonoma when i was in there. you could barely talk to the person at the counter.

The newer ones are around 40% quieter than the tall, traditional Vitamix that Costco still sells. It's loud but not bad at all, no worse than any other blender pretty much.

Hallowed_point
01-10-2018, 03:38 PM
My Walmart Ninja kicks ass. Blenders snobs, now I've seen it all!

jwslam
01-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Had a magic bullet for bit but it was never powerful enough to blend and I had to keep taking out the cup, shaking it and put it back in to move shit around.
Still rocking one of these for the few times a year I blend something.
I learned this trick from someone; while the unit is blending, pick it up motor cup and all and shake. Works well enough for me.
At the rate I blend, each time I use a vitamix in 10 years is equivalent to buying a new magic bullet LOL

sabad66
01-10-2018, 04:14 PM
This thread kind of reminds me of the winter tires or the flagship phone arguments.

"i can drive just fine with my all seasons so what's the point of winters? waste of money"

"my 3 year old samsung S5 works great, who needs the latest S8? waste of money"

"my $100 blender works just fine, what's the point of a $700 blender? waste of money"

is this really that hard of a concept to grasp? i don't even own a blender but even i can understand that a top of the line product will have a different outcome than a $100 magic bullet or mid range ninja. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Seth1968
01-10-2018, 04:39 PM
is this really that hard of a concept to grasp? i don't even own a blender but even i can understand that a top of the line product will have a different outcome than a $100 magic bullet or mid range ninja. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

I guess it just depends on your needs. If my $100 Ninja blends enough to my liking, why would I buy a $700 blender?

Another example of such, is people buying a $1500 computer when all they do is Facebook, email, Candy Crush, etc.

EDIT: Ditto on using my old phone, and also what jwslam said below.

jwslam
01-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Re: 2 posts above

2) Your choice of phone has no effect on me
3) Your choice of blender has no effect on me

1) When you choose to drive down deerfoot going 30 on your bald all seasons, YES THAT AFFECTS ME

sneek
01-11-2018, 12:14 AM
The new vitamix models are so much quieter than the old one that I have but it won't die so I can't justify a replacement. I did see a fancy new one with preprogrammed blends for smoothies and soups...etc.

Soup in a vitamix is awesome but blending for 6-8 minutes is painfully loud and annoying so I don't do it anymore.

suntan
01-11-2018, 12:50 AM
CI likes the Ninja well enough (scored 2nd for inexpensive blenders). It can't make mayo apparently, and smoothies end up frothy (too much aeration). But hey it's cheap.

Hallowed_point
01-11-2018, 08:29 AM
I guess it just depends on your needs. If my $100 Ninja blends enough to my liking, why would I buy a $700 blender?

Another example of such, is people buying a $1500 computer when all they do is Facebook, email, Candy Crush, etc.

EDIT: Ditto on using my old phone, and also what jwslam said below.

100% this, I'm not a jugo juice franchisee.

HiTempguy1
01-11-2018, 11:00 AM
My Walmart Ninja kicks ass. Blenders snobs, now I've seen it all!

is this really that hard of a concept to grasp?

Nope. I just think its placebo effect, I sincerely doubt the vitamix is that much better. No different than people and their Dyson's, every Dyson I've used is an overpriced piece of crap, or at best does the exact same things another vacuum a quarter of the cost does.

I have no problem with them spending the money, it's just silly is all :rofl: Some people on Beyond have waaaaaay too much money (yes, I am jelly).

sabad66
01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Nope. I just think its placebo effect, I sincerely doubt the vitamix is that much better.

this is exactly the problem lol. You have quite a few people on this thread alone that have used both and are telling you from first hand experience that there is a difference but you just don't want to believe it.

i can at least understand seth and hallowed's viewpoint that you should only buy what meets your requirements, but at least be aware that there is a difference that some people are willing to pay for.

do you also think a hyundai drives the same way as an audi?

rage2
01-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Nope. I just think its placebo effect, I sincerely doubt the vitamix is that much better. No different than people and their Dyson's, every Dyson I've used is an overpriced piece of crap, or at best does the exact same things another vacuum a quarter of the cost does.

I have no problem with them spending the money, it's just silly is all :rofl: Some people on Beyond have waaaaaay too much money (yes, I am jelly).
Speaking of Dyson, I went through 3 portable vacuums before I finally went to Best buy to try a Dyson portable. Was going to return it if it sucks, nope. It's fucking awesome. I'm actually able to keep up to kid's messes around the house for spot cleaning. I've spent as much if not more combined on the 3 POS ones that I should've went with a Dyson in the first place, would've saved me a ton of money.

Really, all this expensive shit I buy at Best Buy cuz I can return it. Free trial period. Vitamix and Dyson, worth every penny in my books. 6 years ago, no need, but with 3 kids, those 2 are used all the time and has become a necessity.

So my suggestion, take advantage of Best Buy's free trial period return policy. Or maybe not if you don't want to part with your money haha.

suntan
01-11-2018, 11:51 AM
What were the other portable vacuums so that we know to avoid them?

rage2
01-11-2018, 12:12 PM
What were the other portable vacuums so that we know to avoid them?
This was my last one:

https://www.amazon.ca/BLACK-DECKER-BDH2020FLFH-Lithium-Vacuum/dp/B00JILGZOC?source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_3ukpaf2k01_e

This is what I got in November:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dyson-v7-trigger-handheld-vacuum-nickel-red/11426315.aspx?

Dyson destroys it. Not even a fair fight. The other 2 before are your typical $50-100 handhelds. Even worse. None can pick up crumbs off couches properly, or baking soda after cleaning wet mattresses.

Really, if I didn't have kids or pets, the cheap ass ones would be just fine. It's just insulting that because we buy this stuff, we have more money than what we know to do with. Clearly not true based on my experiences and responses here. But I get it, I used to be in the camp too because I didn't have the need for it, so I won't judge haha.

CompletelyNumb
01-11-2018, 12:23 PM
I upgraded from a nutribullet to a vitamix. My roommate a few years back had a ninja. The vitamix is in a league of it's own. No more "it will blend if there's enough water". I don't want fruit juice, I want a smoothie.

Hallowed_point
01-11-2018, 12:42 PM
I don't doubt that a vitamix kicks ass. But I'm not running a booster juice outta my condo. So a Ninja does just fine for me. Much better than a $20 special.

bjstare
01-11-2018, 12:46 PM
+1 for Vitamix. Certainly worth the money for anyone that uses a blender on a daily basis. We (ok my wife) make smoothies every day, and we'll be using it for baby food soon.

Also, if it lasts even ten years, it's only $60/yr. That's basically a buck a week. Even if I used it every second week (for a cost of $2 per use for those who can't keep up), that's well worth the money IMO.

Hallowed_point
01-11-2018, 12:48 PM
+1 for Vitamix. Certainly worth the money for anyone that uses a blender on a daily basis. We (ok my wife) make smoothies every day, and we'll be using it for baby food soon.

Also, if it lasts even ten years, it's only $60/yr. That's basically a buck a week. Even if I used it every second week (for a cost of $2 per use for those who can't keep up), that's well worth the money IMO.

You've got a good point. I'm at the stage in my life (32) where I hate replacing stuff. So I'll spend $200 on an Italian leather belt that lasts 10+ years.

suntan
01-11-2018, 01:04 PM
This was my last one:

https://www.amazon.ca/BLACK-DECKER-BDH2020FLFH-Lithium-Vacuum/dp/B00JILGZOC?source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_3ukpaf2k01_e

This is what I got in November:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dyson-v7-trigger-handheld-vacuum-nickel-red/11426315.aspx?

Dyson destroys it. Not even a fair fight. The other 2 before are your typical $50-100 handhelds. Even worse. None can pick up crumbs off couches properly, or baking soda after cleaning wet mattresses.

Really, if I didn't have kids or pets, the cheap ass ones would be just fine. It's just insulting that because we buy this stuff, we have more money than what we know to do with. Clearly not true based on my experiences and responses here. But I get it, I used to be in the camp too because I didn't have the need for it, so I won't judge haha.

Thanks. I have an older cordless Dyson that works well. It really doesn't like long hair though. I have always wondered how well some of those other cordless brands worked.

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2018, 03:24 PM
I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. Vitamixes are expensive. They, like almost everything else in this world that costs a premium, have objective and measurable advantages compared to much cheaper alternatives. Whether or not that matters to you or is noticeable to you will depend on both your preferences and your usage. Like anything, people have different needs, preferences, and requirements. People spend their money differently based on those factors. I don't understand how this is not extremely straightforward. It is the exact same concept as so many other things like cars, smartphones, computers, other appliances, etc. If you like it or you use it a lot, you probably spent more money on it compared to something you don't care about or rarely use. There wouldn't be as much choice on the market as there is if everyone had the same requirements.

Try asking someone who drives a new BMW (or any car that isn't a complete POS) why they don't drive the cheapest car they can find that will still get them from A to B. If I didn't care about cars, I might wonder why someone would buy a Mercedes instead of a 10 year old Kia when both are capable of getting you from A to B.

If your cheap Ninja or Magic Bullet does exactly what you want, spending money on a better one is probably a waste. This is not a surprise. If you want or need something better for more demanding use or want something that will last 10+ years, you have options. Again, it is exactly the same as just about everything else in life.... Reminds me of dress shoes, I used to buy $100 shoes every 6-12 months, and my $300-400 shoes are going on 6 years and look like new still.

Disoblige
01-11-2018, 03:28 PM
I used to buy $100 shoes every 6-12 months, and my $300-400 shoes are going on 6 years and look like new still.
Maybe also because you take better care of them knowing they're $300+.

On a another note, I'm not saying I know people and what they want or anything like that at all. But in some cases, people are just used to their own way of thinking (slightly stubborn), and not willing to try new things. I used to be like that, but I try to be more open minded. If someone were introduced with something a bit nicer and use it over time, there is a higher chance they would appreciate it and think there is value in the higher quality stuff. But no, they go "ya I can blend stuff just fine with a $25 blender" without even trying the other options.

Example: Rice cooker.
How many people dare cook rice on the stove if you are used to having a $200 rice cooker since you were a kid? Fucking night and day difference.

Tik-Tok
01-11-2018, 03:35 PM
I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. Vitamixes are expensive. They, like almost everything else in this world that costs a premium, have objective and measurable advantages compared to much cheaper alternatives.

The only one really arguing against it is HighTempGuy, and he's never even used one, however he is the smartest, most knowledgeable person on the forum, so you should just agree with him.

The newer ones are around 40% quieter than the tall, traditional Vitamix that Costco still sells. It's loud but not bad at all, no worse than any other blender pretty much.

A handy trick I found with our blender, is putting a folded up kitchen towel, or thick rubber, under the blender. It really took the noise down a few decibles. I went from "I can't be in the kitchen when she's using it" to "Fuck, that's annoying, but at least I don't have to leave the room now"

Mitsu3000gt
01-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Maybe also because you take better care of them knowing they're $300+.

On a another note, I'm not saying I know people and what they want or anything like that at all. But in some cases, people are just used to their own way of thinking (slightly stubborn), and not willing to try new things. I used to be like that, but I try to be more open minded. If someone were introduced with something a bit nicer and use it over time, there is a higher chance they would appreciate it and think there is value in the higher quality stuff. But no, they go "ya I can blend stuff just fine with a $25 blender" without even trying the other options.

Example: Rice cooker.
How many people dare cook rice on the stove if you are used to having a $200 rice cooker since you were a kid? Fucking night and day difference.

Re: shoes - I treat them exactly the same. Both were indoors only and cleaned/conditioned as necessary. I replaced them when they started to look bad, show wear, or got uncomfortable. There is just a massive difference in quality between leather from Allen Edmonds and Aldo haha. Would I care less if I accidentally damaged the cheap shoes? Sure. Taking care out of the equation, I have a leather wallet I bought in Italy in ~2005 that I have done literally nothing to upkeep, it shows minimal wear after almost 15 years. I've also had 'leather' wallets that were basically disposable and didn't cost a whole lot less.

To your other point, I agree 100%. A lot of times people don't find out they like (or even need) something better until they try it, but they will vehemently argue against it regardless. They think everything stops at their particular needs. I also know lots of people like you describe, with the "well mine works so who needs anything better?" attitude.

The only one really arguing against it is HighTempGuy, and he's never even used one, however he is the smartest, most knowledgeable person on the forum, so you should just agree with him.

Haha this is true - I have since noticed that as well. Mostly reasonable people here :)

A handy trick I found with our blender, is putting a folded up kitchen towel, or thick rubber, under the blender. It really took the noise down a few decibles. I went from "I can't be in the kitchen when she's using it" to "Fuck, that's annoying, but at least I don't have to leave the room now"

Same principle is used in the home theater world, usually with subwoofers, to help get resonant frequencies out. If you 'disconnect' it from the floor (or counter), it should help. Good idea. They do get their cooling from the bottom, so I wouldn't put it on anything too soft or with a deep pile.

rage2
01-11-2018, 05:07 PM
I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. Vitamixes are expensive. They, like almost everything else in this world that costs a premium, have objective and measurable advantages compared to much cheaper alternatives.
Just don't buy Monster cables. :rofl:

suntan
01-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Or Apple. ;)

rage2
01-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Or Apple. ;)
Hey now! :rofl:

HiTempguy1
01-11-2018, 05:42 PM

You are right, I have never purchased a $700 blender. And never will, regardless of how much money I make. Crazily enough, having gone to places like Booster Juice and the like listed previously that "only use these", I haven't been "blown away" by them. They produce blended foods, just like any other blender I've used. Then again, I also don't do souis vide or whatever, and having had it before, food seems pretty similiar.

Its ok if you all want to participate in the group think and feel justified in your $700 blender purchase. I recognize it would be hard to sway anyone here, because they've made the purchase and must justify it to themselves. See "Dyson" argument, where I have used "the best Dyson's" and have noticed zero difference. Same with I have driven many nice cars, and always feel like the value proposition relative to what you get for the $$$ leaves one parted with their money more so than having actually gained anything.

It sure feels good to have that badge though! :p I have zero problem with people disagreeing with me. I do have a problem with people not being honest with themselves and then lying about it to make themselves feel better :rofl:

Seth1968
01-11-2018, 06:04 PM
I just poured 3 tall glasses of ice in my old $100 Ninja and it pulverized it to snow in a few seconds.

Maybe I'd spend $700 if I needed to blend rocks.

Tik-Tok
01-11-2018, 08:08 PM
You are right, I have never purchased a $700 blender. And never will, regardless of how much money I make. Crazily enough, having gone to places like Booster Juice and the like listed previously that "only use these", I haven't been "blown away" by them. They produce blended foods, just like any other blender I've used. Then again, I also don't do souis vide or whatever, and having had it before, food seems pretty similiar.

Its ok if you all want to participate in the group think and feel justified in your $700 blender purchase. I recognize it would be hard to sway anyone here, because they've made the purchase and must justify it to themselves. See "Dyson" argument, where I have used "the best Dyson's" and have noticed zero difference. Same with I have driven many nice cars, and always feel like the value proposition relative to what you get for the $$$ leaves one parted with their money more so than having actually gained anything.

It sure feels good to have that badge though! :p I have zero problem with people disagreeing with me. I do have a problem with people not being honest with themselves and then lying about it to make themselves feel better :rofl:

I would never spend $700 on a blender either, but I have used one, and I agree that if you are a daily blender user it's the best you can get. My point is you can't shit on it as not being worth it, when you haven't even tried using one.

Edit: And you do have a problem with people disagreeing with you, you argue with everyone in every thread and shit on them for not agreeing with you. Fuck, you even shit on the people who DO agree with you, but for a different reason. You're just an argumentative mutherfucker.

blitz
01-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Anyone who gets that upset over someone else’s blender has some serious underlying issues.

msommers
01-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Nothing has changed over the years. Should just bite the bullet...

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/373908-Blenders

Hallowed_point
01-12-2018, 10:19 AM
I would never spend $700 on a blender either, but I have used one, and I agree that if you are a daily blender user it's the best you can get. My point is you can't shit on it as not being worth it, when you haven't even tried using one.

Edit: And you do have a problem with people disagreeing with you, you argue with everyone in every thread and shit on them for not agreeing with you. Fuck, you even shit on the people who DO agree with you, but for a different reason. You're just an argumentative mutherfucker.

I think that HiTempguy is actually right about a lot of stuff. Except he doesn't believe in the awesomeness of the 6-6 lol

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Just don't buy Monster cables. :rofl:

Haha isn't that the truth. The sales can be so hefty though (like 80% off), that I actually have the odd piece of Monster equipment :nut: The people I feel sorry for are those walking into Best Buy or Visions and buying the "HD certified gold plated" $60 3-foot cables, then again if they were too lazy to do a 2 second google search, maybe not so much.

adamc
01-12-2018, 02:30 PM
If I'm ever baller enough to custom build a house, I'm building a bar with in-counter blend-tecs:

Hallowed_point
01-12-2018, 02:36 PM
If I'm ever baller enough to custom build a house, I'm building a bar with in-counter blend-tecs:

Ok, that is something I'm interested in!

rx7boi
01-12-2018, 02:41 PM
We use a Vitamix in our home. I was pretty pissed when my fiancee dropped several hundred bucks on a goddamn blender but truth be told, it makes smoothies like no other blender we've ever had in the house. We've had it for a couple years now and haven't had any issues with it.

Same thing with this holiday season, she went out and bought one of those $600 cordless Dyson vacuums. I was pretty choked but then she turned it on and picked up all the Shiba hair on our living room carpet. Shut me right up because our $250 Bissett pet hair vacuum couldn't pick up any of it :rofl:

Bottom line, I can't tell you how much of a quantifiable/statistical significance it makes, but there's a difference. I just wouldn't pay a 2x or even 3x premium for it but I wouldn't be as arrogant as HiTempguy and shit on people who would.

After all, we're on a forum where fellas don't mind taking a bath on a car just because they want a new ride after a year :rofl:

HiTempguy1
01-12-2018, 04:35 PM
but I wouldn't be as arrogant as HiTempguy and shit on people who would.

As arrogant? Oh boy, how do you survive in the real world? :rofl:

rage2
01-12-2018, 11:36 PM
I’m so baller I want the badge and the expensive piece of shit to pretend it’s not about the badge sitting on my cheap plastic countertop. But hey, lightning cable in the background, official Apple one too. Baller status reinstated. :rofl:

rx7boi
01-12-2018, 11:36 PM
As arrogant? Oh boy, how do you survive in the real world? :rofl:

That's cute. Whatever makes you feel like a big man ;) How can you not have the balls to own up to being arrogant?

You needed to quote me just to prove that you're not? :rofl:

speedog
01-13-2018, 09:39 AM
That's cute. Whatever makes you feel like a big man ;) How can you not have the balls to own up to being arrogant?

You needed to quote me just to prove that you're not? :rofl:

Reading this thread could lead one to believe that certain types of blenders are like penis extensions for some, for others not and then there's the one who just don't care and use whatever they feel suits their needs.

We've got an older Breville and it performs wonderfully for our needs, not used on a daily or even monthly basis but it has always met our requirements when brought out to do some sort of blending task. It is top of the line in the blender world, probably not but it is more than adequate for our needs - doesn't mean I have to shit on other people's choices. Our main vacuum, a near the top of the line Miele, cost a lot but is amazing. Stand mixers, got a budget one that gets used a fair bit, have actually replaced it with the same exact model because we've worn them out and we also have a top of the line Kitchenaid stand mixer as well - that thing is the boss but it's extreme weight means it stays put away unless it's required for something the other stand mixer can't do. The Kitchenaid was a gift and to be totally honest, I'm not sure we would've ever spent the money on one because of it's so infrequent use - yeah, it's amazing but such a heavy brute.

Now off topic (yeah, I know but to lighten things up a bit), how many of you have this toaster...

r3ccOs
01-14-2018, 11:26 AM
I really do find it amusing that Blending became such a huge thing over the course of the last decade, yet how many people use these fancy blenders routinely is so few.

I know out of my appliances, my blendtec sits the most when compared to my sodastream, air fryer, kitchenaid mixer, nespresso, fuck even the toaster.

that said, Vitamix is the originator and has nothing to prove. but shit... honestly any 1200 watt decent named "i.e. Oster" without cheap plastic components is going to do what anyone would ever need it for, unless you own a cafe or a jugo juice.

Its like any appliances... sure a Subzero/Wolfe or Miele will have 9 discreet gas burners but fuck I just need 4 and my Whirpool does a good enough job

dj_rice
01-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Yay!! I got gifted a Vitamix blender from the parents for X-Mas. Its the 5300 Series from Costco. $499 but was on sale for $399. I've never actually owned a blender in my life so we'll see how it goes

suntan
01-14-2018, 11:49 AM
Reading this thread could lead one to believe that certain types of blenders are like penis extensions for some, for others not and then there's the one who just don't care and use whatever they feel suits their needs.

We've got an older Breville and it performs wonderfully for our needs, not used on a daily or even monthly basis but it has always met our requirements when brought out to do some sort of blending task. It is top of the line in the blender world, probably not but it is more than adequate for our needs - doesn't mean I have to shit on other people's choices. Our main vacuum, a near the top of the line Miele, cost a lot but is amazing. Stand mixers, got a budget one that gets used a fair bit, have actually replaced it with the same exact model because we've worn them out and we also have a top of the line Kitchenaid stand mixer as well - that thing is the boss but it's extreme weight means it stays put away unless it's required for something the other stand mixer can't do. The Kitchenaid was a gift and to be totally honest, I'm not sure we would've ever spent the money on one because of it's so infrequent use - yeah, it's amazing but such a heavy brute.

Now off topic (yeah, I know but to lighten things up a bit), how many of you have this toaster...

Actually the Brevilles are somewhat expensive and work extremely well.

speedog
01-14-2018, 12:04 PM
I really do find it amusing that Blending became such a huge thing over the course of the last decade, yet how many people use these fancy blenders routinely is so few.

I know out of my appliances, my blendtec sits the most when compared to my sodastream, air fryer, kitchenaid mixer, nespresso, fuck even the toaster.

that said, Vitamix is the originator and has nothing to prove. but shit... honestly any 1200 watt decent named "i.e. Oster" without cheap plastic components is going to do what anyone would ever need it for, unless you own a cafe or a jugo juice.

Its like any appliances... sure a Subzero/Wolfe or Miele will have 9 discreet gas burners but fuck I just need 4 and my Whirpool does a good enough job

How the hell do you survive with just 4 burners?

You just outed yourself and have fallen from beyond baller status to beyond pleb status - welcome to the club.

r3ccOs
01-14-2018, 12:14 PM
How the hell do you survive with just 4 burners?

You just outed yourself and have fallen from beyond baller status to beyond pleb status - welcome to the club.

;)

I take pride in enjoying in the pleasures of life now "prudently" without compromising my life when I am on a fixed income - unlike most millennial beyond baller/hisper-status.

I also didn't name my kids Jaxxxon, Kenszingtynne or Kingsley and own most of my properties.

jwslam
02-15-2018, 08:40 AM
So I bought a Blendtec through the Costco deal on Monday evening. Arrived yesterday by UPS.
https://www.costco.ca/.product.100377151.html?&EMID=CA_EN_2018_0212_1240_Toronto

Made my first hot soup and then a smoothie with it. The soup was awesome. The smoothie with the strawberry and kiwi seeds pulverized had a gritty texture to it, not sure if I'm a fan yet.

sabad66
02-16-2018, 12:48 PM
thinking of getting a blender now as we'd like to start making our own baby food and smoothies.

Air Miles has a voucher (250 miles = $25 value) that gives you 20% off Vitamix blenders from redcornerstore.com which would put the Ascent A3500 from 800 down to $640 + GST.

Could also go for the a2500 which is 700 down to $560 after coupon... i think the only difference between a2500 and a3500 is the touch screen and a couple more settings (self cleaning setting which looks like a good feature).

thoughts?

realazy
02-16-2018, 02:11 PM
thoughts?

If you don't mind refurbished, the vitamix refurbished units are a great deal and still carry a 5 year warranty. It's obviously not the newest model, but it already has the variable speed and 3 presets.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/vitamix-vitamix-reconditioned-free-shipping-339-90-off-2170553/

It's $356.95 shipped with that code on RFD.

Mitsu3000gt
02-16-2018, 02:13 PM
thinking of getting a blender now as we'd like to start making our own baby food and smoothies.

Air Miles has a voucher (250 miles = $25 value) that gives you 20% off Vitamix blenders from redcornerstore.com which would put the Ascent A3500 from 800 down to $640 + GST.

Could also go for the a2500 which is 700 down to $560 after coupon... i think the only difference between a2500 and a3500 is the touch screen and a couple more settings (self cleaning setting which looks like a good feature).

thoughts?

Most of the Vitamix blenders within a particular lineup are the same underlying hardware but with changes to the design (i.e. stainless steel cladding), interface and presets (self cleaning, etc.) - same quality of blend and same hardware where it matters. Ascent Series appears to follow that same trend. If you don't care about the presets, just grab the cheapest one.

If you're worried about self cleaning, it's just another program, so running it at full speed for 30-60 seconds or so does the same thing with the requisite half-fill of water and a couple drops of soap, or whatever it calls for these days.

mzdspd
02-16-2018, 02:32 PM

thoughts?

Every Ascent model Vitamix has self cleaning. You just put some dish soap in and run it for a certain time.. My a2300 has it..

So, IMO, you are paying 200$ more for smoothie presets (only difference between A2300 and A2500), a touch screen and wifi.

The A2300 and A3500 and every Ascent model in between all have the same motor and come with the same accessories.

jwslam
02-16-2018, 03:02 PM
So, IMO, you are paying 200$ more for smoothie presets (only difference between A2300 and A2500), a touch screen and wifi.
Why the eff do I need wifi on a blender?
Are people leaving fruits in a blender and setting it on their phone so that they can come home to a smoothie?

lilmira
02-16-2018, 03:11 PM
I dunno, may be it automatically updates your status in social media when your kale smoothie is ready.

bjstare
02-16-2018, 11:44 PM
We have a vitamix with no presets on it, and seem to get by just fine.

If you can't figure out how to speed up and slow down a blender for 60 seconds to make a smoothie, I'd hate to see you try and tie your shoes.

Darell_n
02-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Actually the Brevilles are somewhat expensive and work extremely well.

Same here. My wife has been torturing our Breville blender for 7 years. Most of my kitchen is Breville, from Airmiles rewards.

rage2
02-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Why the eff do I need wifi on a blender?
Are people leaving fruits in a blender and setting it on their phone so that they can come home to a smoothie?
It can’t even do that. It’s retarded. It uses WiFi to detect the container size and set presets accordingly. Why WiFi? No clue. NFC and Bluetooth is a better suited technology for that. It also comes with Bluetooth but it doesn’t do anything at all with it. Makes no sense haha.

know1edge
02-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Darell_n
02-17-2018, 02:49 PM
just ordered one. vitamix also lets you do 3/5 month no interest payment plans too

Needing a mortgage for a blender should be a huge red flag for any sane people out there.

bjstare
02-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Needing a mortgage for a blender should be a huge red flag for any sane people out there.

Just put it on the long list of things that poor money managers take a loan for.

JRSC00LUDE
02-17-2018, 04:47 PM
I got a commercial Blendtec when a buddy shut down a bar. 1300 cycles on the counter, the big container and a noise shield or something too. It pulverizes a frozen lemon, which is great. 200 bucks.

sabad66
02-18-2018, 02:19 PM
If you don't mind refurbished, the vitamix refurbished units are a great deal and still carry a 5 year warranty. It's obviously not the newest model, but it already has the variable speed and 3 presets.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/vitamix-vitamix-reconditioned-free-shipping-339-90-off-2170553/

It's $356.95 shipped with that code on RFD.

hmm this is very tempting. only thing is i was wanting the ascent line since they have the smaller containers . Don't think they make the small containers in the legacy line :(

nice thing though is that the coupon code works on ascents.

sabad66
02-27-2018, 12:15 PM
Got my a2500 delivered yesterday. All i have to compare with is a magic bullet, but holy shit this thing is powerful. Made a kale/green apple smoothie and not 1 spec of leaf material left with great consistency. It's loud, but not as loud as i thought it would be. Not sure if the presets were worth the extra $ (difference between the a2300 and a2500) but whatever.

Overall we are pretty happy with it so far. Only complaint is they still haven't shipped the small bowl kit i ordered... they must be on back order or something.

yellowsnow
03-05-2018, 11:47 PM
Jumped on the Vitamix bandwagon a few months ago. Our old nurtibullet was making awful noises, so we needed something new. The bullet lasted about 3/4 years.

Ppl might scoff at payong $600+ for a blender, but this thing pulverizes everything into a smooth blend. No more chunky bits or floaties in our smoothies anymore. I can definitely notice a difference in texture from my old nurtibullet.

Its upped our intake of fruits and veggies, and we're also adding chia seeds, flaxseed, etc, and it's all incorporated so well.

It's not for everyone, but if you blend smoothies often, I say it's worth the cost.

makes great sorbets too. It also can make HOT soup in about 5 minutes. The blades spin that fast it generates enough heat to steam your soup.