PDA

View Full Version : Ford's new hot-rod SUV

speedog
01-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Ford's new hot-rod SUV, link (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/auto-shows/north-america/fords-new-hot-rod-suv-shows-consumers-still-have-a-need-for-speed/article37585121/), - quote from this news story ""We shredded a lot of race tracks with this vehicle," Jonathan Crocker, the Edge's chief engineer, told reporters ahead of the reveal."

Maybe it's just me but has the definition of what it takes to shred a track changed because IMO one does not shred a track in a SUV no matter how much power it has - the shredding of tracks is done by sport cars, no? Unless of course the SUV was towing a plow or some similar farm implement, then I could understand some track shredding may have taken place.

Tik-Tok
01-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Performance aside...fucking hideous.

ExtraSlow
01-11-2018, 10:44 PM
Hyperbole in advertising. I am shook.

bjstare
01-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Not saying it's the case with this Ford, but it is possible for SUVs to be quick on a track. I'm pretty sure a couple years back on American Top Gear the X6M lapped the track in the same time as an M3. Take it with a grain of salt of course (because Top Gear), but if it's even close to M3 track times, I'd say that's proof SUVs can be quick on a track.

Back on topic - there's very few Fords I would actually consider, but it's a smart move for them to get into the performance SUV category. Now that I'm expecting a kid, I want more space/practicality but still enjoy driving fun vehicles. Given that my wife hates wagons, I'll be looking at performance hatchbacks/SUVs for my next car... and obviously I'm not the only one that thinks this way. There's obviously a market for these, looking at the Germans (GLC43, GLC63, GLE63, GLS63, G63, SQ5, X5M, X6M, Cayenne, Macan... have I missed any?), so it only makes sense that American companies will want to offer some more affordable options and try and break into that market.

Darkane
01-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Not saying it's the case with this Ford, but it is possible for SUVs to be quick on a track. I'm pretty sure a couple years back on American Top Gear the X6M lapped the track in the same time as an M3. Take it with a grain of salt of course (because Top Gear), but if it's even close to M3 track times, I'd say that's proof SUVs can be quick on a track.

Back on topic - there's very few Fords I would actually consider, but it's a smart move for them to get into the performance SUV category. Now that I'm expecting a kid, I want more space/practicality but still enjoy driving fun vehicles. Given that my wife hates wagons, I'll be looking at performance hatchbacks/SUVs for my next car... and obviously I'm not the only one that thinks this way. There's obviously a market for these, looking at the Germans (GLC43, GLC63, GLE63, GLS63, G63, SQ5, X5M, X6M, Cayenne, Macan... have I missed any?), so it only makes sense that American companies will want to offer some more affordable options and try and break into that market.

Agree. The GLC43 is on my radar in the next year or two. Waiting for the straight six to drop.

Hallowed_point
01-12-2018, 11:11 AM
I don't get the hod rod SUV thing personally. But I suppose that is where the sporty coupe market has moved. It makes sense from a practicality standpoint and a 1 car
only type deal.

Darell_n
01-12-2018, 11:52 AM
335 Hp should only include the words shred, race track, or high performance if it is referencing a 2200lb or less car or anything less than 4 wheels. I do think a supercharged V8 SUV has the potential to tear up a track. There are videos out there of SRT Jeeps lapping with actual ‘race’ cars and blowing their doors off. It’s quite comical.

ercchry
01-12-2018, 12:01 PM
Yeah, this seems like more of an appearance and handling package.. doesn’t that motor make more power than that in f150 trim?

jonnycat
01-12-2018, 12:33 PM
I don't get the hod rod SUV thing personally. But I suppose that is where the sporty coupe market has moved. It makes sense from a practicality standpoint and a 1 car
only type deal.

eh, I have a had a truck and other vehicle for years. Had the Srt Jeep for a year now and I really like the Hot rod Suv Segment as a second vehicle. If in a postion to get a 3rd vehicle I would definitely get a lower slung sportier car, but as of now I am happy to have an all weather backup 24/7 when needed.

speedog
01-12-2018, 12:35 PM
And speaking of SUV's, I heard on the news this week that Cadillac is the only luxury car maker in the world that currently sells less SUV's than it's non-SUV models.

Hallowed_point
01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
eh, I have a had a truck and other vehicle for years. Had the Srt Jeep for a year now and I really like the Hot rod Suv Segment as a second vehicle. If in a postion to get a 3rd vehicle I would definitely get a lower slung sportier car, but as of now I am happy to have an all weather backup 24/7 when needed.

I think the SRT Jeep is the one I'd go for as well. At least it has 8 cylinders and sounds awesome.

blownz
01-12-2018, 02:14 PM
I think this is a good move for Ford. This thing competes with the Hyundai Sante Fe and Nissan Murano and is way more exciting than either of those. The Jeep SRT is impressive, but probably about $20K more expensive so not really in the same class. Assuming this sells in the $50-55K range it won't really have much competition.

The only thing I am not impressed with is I think the interior could have used more of an update. It is looking dated.

Skrilla
01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Damn...should have waited before buying my wife's CRV this year. Would be a blast with some bolt-ons and a tune. Had a 2011 F-150 with the Eco and bolt-ons/dyno tune, and it was nutty for a half ton. Not a huge fan of the design, but I like the idea of it.

Disoblige
01-12-2018, 04:23 PM
I like the styling of the Ford Explorer a lot better.
Give me a 400 HP TT Ford Explorer and I might actually buy one.

Tik-Tok
01-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Fuck yeah. (and also some towing capacity, unlike the first gen Grand Cherokee SRT)

mzdspd
01-12-2018, 05:03 PM

Ford has the Explorer Sport which has the 3.5 ecoboost V6 with 365 hp (So more power then the Edge ST). And it can tow 6k I think.

I don't know, I think this is just an appearance pack / slight refresh on the current Edge Sport.

tehwegz
01-12-2018, 10:09 PM
The current Edge Sport is pretty good, I don't think I've driven an SUV with steering as direct/instant as that. You could probably put yourself through the driver side window if you crank it to the right hard enough haha so I have high hopes for the Edge ST. Something like 30hp/40ft-lb torque over the current Edge Sport, and Sport already handles pretty darn good. ST will probably be a tad lower with aggressive alignment / different struts and spring rates.

SUV's from factory are very formidable on the track these days. Track Hawk and Durango SRT deserve mentions in here too. A lot of European performance SUV's would wreck nearly every sports car of the past on the track.

An F1 race driver recently took a modded SUV to the track, embarrassed a lot of people, and had tons of fun.

colsankey
01-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Ford bronco ST better become a thing..

RealJimmyJames
01-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Ford bronco ST better become a thing..
Are they making a bronco now?

swak
01-13-2018, 12:29 AM
its really not that bad when you consider comparing this to the idea of what GM did with the HHR

colsankey
01-13-2018, 01:26 AM

They said last year (2017) it would be released with a new ranger in 2020. Only time will tell, but I loved the mock up pictures.

Tik-Tok
01-13-2018, 07:18 AM

For 2020. Still no spyshots, or definitive information yet.

What everyone hopes it will look like (fan made render):

What it will probably look like (Aussie Ford Everest):

colsankey
01-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Definitely want the fan render..

speedog
01-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Definitely want the fan render..

Odds are quite good they'll produce the vanilla flavoured version, kind of like Jeep with their upcoming truck - Jeep teased the world with the one in the first picture below but instead the world will see a vanilla model for the masses to crawl around Costco parking lots looking for that empty spot near the doors...

Not vanilla flavoured...

Vanilla flavoured...

A Bronco like this will never see the light of day - 2 doors? C'mon, give your head a shake - in fact, it's probably very difficult to walk into a dealership and walk out that same day with a 2 door SUV, a Jeep maybe but even 4 doors are the all the rage there as well...

ExtraSlow
01-13-2018, 10:31 AM
I think this is a good move for Ford. This thing competes with the Hyundai Sante Fe and Nissan Murano and is way more exciting than either of those. The Jeep SRT is impressive, but probably about $20K more expensive so not really in the same class. Assuming this sells in the $50-55K range it won't really have much competition.
No chance this thing will be in the $50-$55 range. Edge sport with 401A and touring pack is already $55k. That's before you add in the inflatable seatbelts and DVD player.

Xtrema
01-14-2018, 05:23 PM
No chance this thing will be in the $50-$55 range. Edge sport with 401A and touring pack is already $55k. That's before you add in the inflatable seatbelts and DVD player.

May be possible during those Employee pricing months? Or dealer overstocks, who knows. There is always at least $5K to be had with domestics.

ExtraSlow
01-14-2018, 05:39 PM
Oh sure there's discounts on most models, but probably not much on the ST.

blownz
01-15-2018, 02:37 PM
Base price could still be in the $50-55K range. And even if it is $60K. There isn't anything else like this available right now. So for that I like it. Although I am still not really into the performance SUV thing.

ercchry
01-15-2018, 02:55 PM
Base price could still be in the $50-55K range. And even if it is $60K. There isn't anything else like this available right now. So for that I like it. Although I am still not really into the performance SUV thing.

That’s nearing on SQ5 territory... you’d have to be mad to take this over the Audi if they’re within 5-10% of each other

Hallowed_point
01-15-2018, 03:02 PM
its really not that bad when you consider comparing this to the idea of what gm did with the hhr

this!

bjstare
01-17-2018, 09:35 AM
That’s nearing on SQ5 territory... you’d have to be mad to take this over the Audi if they’re within 5-10% of each other

Agree completely, but I bet once you option up the Audi there's no way they're within 10%.

NoSup4U
01-17-2018, 10:38 AM

An optioned SQ5 is coming in at $75-$80k sticker, just based on the inventory at Glenmore Audi. No where close to what this will probably be at $60-$62k sticker, based on the current Sport model at $57k optioned out. After negotiation, you are still going to be minimum $15k apart.

Sure the Audi will have better build quality, but you are still getting close to the same tech, and bells and whistles with the Ford.

Unfortunately most people still have the mindset of the badge on the front.

bjstare
01-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately most people still have the mindset of the badge on the front.

Nothing unfortunate about it... it's far more than a badge up front. No question, the Audi is a nicer car to sit in and drive, it's just that it's less affordable for most. :dunno:

Xtrema
01-17-2018, 11:19 AM
Sure the Audi will have better build quality, but you are still getting close to the same tech, and bells and whistles with the Ford.

Well consider this is the 1st time a MLB platform vehicle is built in Mexico. Who knows about the reliability of 2018 Q5/SQ5 or even quality. GTI's 1st few years in Mexico were rough.

ercchry
01-17-2018, 12:27 PM
I think I could still live with a progressiv trim SQ5 over a god damn Ford Edge! An ST model that they already admitted to building for females that wanted a “more aggressive looking car” ...it’s an appearance package with a little suspension and computer work... that doesn’t even make full power compared to other models with that engine!

Mitsu3000gt
01-17-2018, 12:50 PM
How is this by any definition a hot rod? Slightly above average HP compared to all the competing soccer mom SUV's and over 4000 lbs? There's already an Edge Sport with almost the same power. It's also probably going to be grossly overpriced given that an Edge Sport is already around $60K all-in. IMO you'd be silly to buy one before they get the usual $10-15K dealer discounts to adjust for quality, depreciation, etc.