PDA

View Full Version : picked up a new winter beater today.

Buster
01-13-2018, 06:26 PM
new GLA45 from Mercedes Benz Downtown. They were awesome to deal with.

If it's good enough for rage2, it's good enough for me! Actually, as far as a daily goes, this thing kicks ass. Now that the kids are mostly out of car seats, the size is perfect. I rarely need to transport all 3 kids, but could do so in a pinch. The AWD will help for the winters over the outgoing V, and I just don't need a full-size family vehicle as our second car. A touch more ground clearance than a standard car is perfect. I put some serious thought into an E63S, but this car will likely only get 4,000 km a year on it, so having an E63 sit in the garage doesn't make sense. And in terms of smiles, this thing rules. It's hilarious. People stare at it...not sure for the right reasons. The new one with the new interior is a few years off, so I pulled the trigger, and can always upgrade when that one comes out and is no longer the hot thing.

Basically fully loaded: Recaro seats (a must), Premium and Premium plus package, carbon package, night package, Driver's package, leather interior package (for the dash and such). The damn thing parks itself. WTF?

Dropped it straight off at SR International to have Rainer and company do the PPF and ceramic coating. I'm looking into a tow package, which can be done, and a roof rack. Basically would make it a monster ski vehicle or mountain biking rig.

Oh ya. And I'm told it's green.

https://i.imgur.com/fCZ5ms5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AG5t1Ky.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mdaKYUz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OdldJvu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WhKVoqB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4T1W19c.jpg

bjstare
01-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Ah you got it! Nice. Very jelly.

Maybe when the one with the new interior comes, I'll buy this one off you ;)

Shlade
01-13-2018, 07:52 PM
"Winter beater"

roopi
01-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Is this the only color option?

GTR_Auto
01-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Really like these cars!

rage2
01-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Congrats! I have the roof rack, coupled with the huge trunk was able to do a 2 week camping road trip with the family with no issues. Love this car!

People stare at the car because it sounds like a quieter group B rally car from the 80s. It’s a lot louder on the outside than inside. Not only do you get the snap crackle and pop, you get turbo whistle and turbo surge sounds too haha.

redblack
01-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Ballin! Especially for a winter beater.

Buster
01-13-2018, 08:50 PM
Is this the only color option?

Only color you need!

- - - Updated - - -

Ballin! Especially for a winter beater.

I was making a bit of a joke. But I don't expect to put many miles on it in the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! I have the roof rack, coupled with the huge trunk was able to do a 2 week camping road trip with the family with no issues. Love this car!

People stare at the car because it sounds like a quieter group B rally car from the 80s. It’s a lot louder on the outside than inside. Not only do you get the snap crackle and pop, you get turbo whistle and turbo surge sounds too haha.

Thanks. My wife asked me if I turned into a 25 year old asian. I'm trying!

- - - Updated - - -
rage2, have you looked at the Curt tow hitch? Some guys on the GLA forums have installed it. It bolts right up, but unfortunately, you need to trim the lower fascia on the AMG versions. But it would be really nice to be able to mount my NorthShore rack on there.

rage2
01-13-2018, 09:24 PM
I didn’t do it. Was going to install one for an extended bike rack but the tow hitch weighs something like 300lbs. The reason why the car is fun is because of its relatively low weight so instead I went with a hatch mounted bike rack.

Buster
01-13-2018, 09:59 PM
link?

rage2
01-13-2018, 11:02 PM
Went with the Thule Raceway Pro 3. It barely clears the rear wing for me, may not work for you since you have the larger wing.

zhao
01-13-2018, 11:34 PM
I didn’t do it. Was going to install one for an extended bike rack but the tow hitch weighs something like 300lbs. The reason why the car is fun is because of its relatively low weight so instead I went with a hatch mounted bike rack.

wtf is that for real? That has to be a mistype by someone who said that. It should weigh between 50-100lbs at most because it likely just bolts to where the rebar mounts on to your frame rails. even a hitch for a ford truck which also is the what is the strength of the rear bumper only weighs probably 75lbs at most.

Sugarphreak
01-13-2018, 11:42 PM

rage2
01-14-2018, 12:50 AM
wtf is that for real? That has to be a mistype by someone who said that. It should weigh between 50-100lbs at most because it likely just bolts to where the rebar mounts on to your frame rails. even a hitch for a ford truck which also is the what is the strength of the rear bumper only weighs probably 75lbs at most.
That’s what I was told when I called around asking.

Buster
01-14-2018, 02:11 AM

The Curt 2" hitch receiver setup weighs about 40lbs. My 40bike North Shore Rack weighs about 50. So figure on 90-100 lbs of weight hanging off the back. Max 200 with 4 bikes. That;s about like an adult passenger sitting in your rear seat.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks pretty nice, I really like the colour! These cars have been growing on me lately. Congrats!

thanks!

colsankey
01-14-2018, 03:01 AM
Im Jelly. Really want one of these as my next ride, but gotta pay off the wifes stupid Subaru first...

shakalaka
01-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Congrats! I test drove one before going for the M3 last year and absolutely loved it! That exhaust is absolutely wicked.

Buster
01-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Congrats! I test drove one before going for the M3 last year and absolutely loved it! That exhaust is absolutely wicked.

Interesting cross-shop. Pretty different vehicles (and price points).

shakalaka
01-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Wasn't really a cross-shop. Was trying out everything I liked and picked what made most sense with my trade-in. Test drove the C63S, C43 and GLA back to back as well.

killramos
01-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Congrats!!!

MR2-3SGTE
01-14-2018, 06:35 PM
haha I just picked up a 2004 civic a few days ago to use as a winter beater and then I open this thread and think damn, what is my life

ExtraSlow
01-14-2018, 08:15 PM
haha I just picked up a 2004 civic a few days ago to use as a winter beater and then I open this thread and think damn, what is my life
My 2010 Fit makes you look poor.

nismodrifter
01-14-2018, 10:15 PM
Love it. Have yet to see one of these in person in this colour, have seen a few in a funky blue which looks odd IMO.

XylathaneGTR
01-15-2018, 12:24 AM
So for those in this thread who have a GLA45; are you able to fit a bicycle or two in the back with the seats folded down?

Kiiiiinda toying with the idea of saying goodbye to my beloved avant...but would want to stuff my bikes in the back for longer road trips rather than leave them on the roof.

Buster
01-15-2018, 12:31 AM
If you do get a roof rack, is there a good way to protect the forks from road debris?>

spikerS
01-15-2018, 12:48 AM
If you do get a roof rack, is there a good way to protect the forks from road debris?>

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/images/737_Bike_Protectors_in_Snow.JPG

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/bikeproduct/bikeprotectors.html

Hallowed_point
01-15-2018, 09:20 AM
I love that color. Awesome ride!

rage2
01-15-2018, 09:28 AM
So for those in this thread who have a GLA45; are you able to fit a bicycle or two in the back with the seats folded down?

Kiiiiinda toying with the idea of saying goodbye to my beloved avant...but would want to stuff my bikes in the back for longer road trips rather than leave them on the roof.
I wasn't able to fit my full sized mountain bike in the trunk like that. Not even close. Car's not long enough to make it work.

Disoblige
01-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Congrats!
Apparently there is still a black one available for a similar price. Wonder why it's not picked up yet. Tempting!

Buster
01-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Congrats!
Apparently there is still a black one available for a similar price. Wonder why it's not picked up yet. Tempting!

Much lower options. No recaros.

Disoblige
01-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

mzdspd
01-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Are the recaros a must? How much worse are the base seats?

rage2
01-15-2018, 12:18 PM
Are the recaros a must? How much worse are the base seats?
Definitely a must. You slide around everywhere in the base seats, and they're over an inch thicker, reducing rear passenger room. It's unfortunate how expensive the Recaro's were because you're forced to spec them out with leather, although I'm seeing that's changed for MY2018's with non leather Recaros.

XylathaneGTR
01-15-2018, 02:03 PM
I wasn't able to fit my full sized mountain bike in the trunk like that. Not even close. Car's not long enough to make it work.

'preciate the confirmation; I ride a not-so-slack 29er in a large frame size...I gotta take the front wheel off when I throw it in my avant, and loosen the stem to rotate the handlebars flat if more than one bike is going in...it's doable but only just. With the avant being longer than the GLA...I didn't figure there was much chance but worth the ask!
too bad.

Never saw those covers before, spikers; you use em? Any good? The instructions are a bit hard to read, but I feel like I could see that thing going away real fast in the turner valley crosswinds.

rage2
01-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Actually it might fit. I had a problem because I had a child seat on it and didn't have the key on me to remove it. Forgot about that minor detail. :rofl:

spikerS
01-15-2018, 05:44 PM
Never saw those covers before, spikers; you use em? Any good? The instructions are a bit hard to read, but I feel like I could see that thing going away real fast in the turner valley crosswinds.

no, my fat ass doesn't ride anymore. However, I have seen lots of people using these on highway 1 and the QE2, and they seem like they stay on pretty well. I have never witnessed one and thought "that looks like it is about to come off"

JordanLotoski
01-15-2018, 11:35 PM
Love it...So much fun in the snow

tonytiger55
01-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Congrats!

Lovely colour..

dimi
01-16-2018, 10:05 AM
'preciate the confirmation; I ride a not-so-slack 29er in a large frame size...I gotta take the front wheel off when I throw it in my avant, and loosen the stem to rotate the handlebars flat if more than one bike is going in...it's doable but only just. With the avant being longer than the GLA...I didn't figure there was much chance but worth the ask!
too bad.

I did a 1.5 weeks in Whistler with a GLA 250. Back seats down, front wheel off and a 29er fits easily. Then you have to get all your other luggage around your bike strategically. It was tight, but it did the job.

As for your fork stanctions, stick a rag over top of them and hold in place with an elastic band. Ghetto, but it works.

ganesh
01-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Congrats.
It is on my list of vehicles to checkout before I pull the trigger on Macan GTS.

Buster
01-16-2018, 10:25 AM
Congrats.
It is on my list of vehicles to checkout before I pull the trigger on Macan GTS.

I thought this was good. I think the Macan is nicer fit and finish, and perhaps more luxury (it's not really shared with an economy car). But a lot less interesting to see and drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IvF4X658hY

ganesh
01-16-2018, 11:08 AM
I agree with you Buster . Every time I go to the Macan Forum I see the comparison between GLA45AMG , X3M/X4M40. I am pretty much sold on the Macan but the price difference makes me want to test drive the others before I sign the papers.
Patiently waiting for March , I hear that's when Porsche is going to reveal the Face Lift Macan's.

schocker
01-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Nice pickup. Would be great fun in the snow.

Buster
01-16-2018, 03:03 PM
I agree with you Buster . Every time I go to the Macan Forum I see the comparison between GLA45AMG , X3M/X4M40. I am pretty much sold on the Macan but the price difference makes me want to test drive the others before I sign the papers.
Patiently waiting for March , I hear that's when Porsche is going to reveal the Face Lift Macan's.

It's a great choice. Why the GTS and not the turbo?

ganesh
01-16-2018, 03:25 PM
GTS has everything I need and much more. From the look and feel point of view It has everything I want. I really don't need the extra HP that the Turbo offers plus by the time I spec out a turbo it will be easily over 125. At that price point there are other options.

JRSC00LUDE
01-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Dat ipad tho.....:love:

Great car, was ripped around in Calgary in one awhile back. It's such a great little unit. :thumbsup:

bjstare
01-17-2018, 08:48 AM
GTS has everything I need and much more. From the look and feel point of view It has everything I want. I really don't need the extra HP that the Turbo offers plus by the time I spec out a turbo it will be easily over 125. At that price point there are other options.

$125k, I'd be getting a GLC63

killramos
01-17-2018, 11:02 AM
$125k, I'd be getting a GLC63

+1

The turbo isn’t even that fast, at least the GTS is substantially cheaper with all the looks.

Buster
01-17-2018, 11:50 AM
+1

The turbo isn’t even that fast, at least the GTS is substantially cheaper with all the looks.

I'm generally not a fan of Porsche turbos. Not the unit, but the pricing. Porsche in general isn't great value. When I was shopping for the GTS, the direct competitor (price wise), was the C4S. Which was a comical comparison.

You can get a GLC63 for a lot less than $125k, and I would take that over any Macan as well.

I think the GLC63 is delayed though.

ganesh
01-17-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm generally not a fan of Porsche turbos. Not the unit, but the pricing. Porsche in general isn't great value. When I was shopping for the GTS, the direct competitor (price wise), was the C4S. Which was a comical comparison.

You can get a GLC63 for a lot less than $125k, and I would take that over any Macan as well.

What makes you say that Porsche isn't a great value? From what I have seen so far they seems to hold their value. Care to explain?

flipstah
01-17-2018, 12:00 PM
Holy shit. Winning.

rage2
01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
What makes you say that Porsche isn't a great value? From what I have seen so far they seems to hold their value. Care to explain?
You're confusing 2 separate "values".

Value for dollar, it's a bit on the low side for dollars per smile. The only Porsche that's on my radar that meets my arbitrary dollars per smile metric would be the GT3.

On resale value and depreciation, it depends on the model. Some models hold value well (especially anything limited), but generally, Caymens and lower end 911's are pretty average. SUV's just suck for resale value, period.

killramos
01-17-2018, 12:03 PM

I really don’t like the GLC, inside and out. When my C63 was delayed they gave me one, my salesman though my wife would like it. Complete backfire as I hated it after driving it for the weekend. Barely fit my golf clubs in the back better than my C...

I think my next SUV will be a fuck off sized domestic with a V8. Or maybe a pickup, though I have no use for one.

kJUMP
01-17-2018, 01:23 PM
+1

agreed, the GTS is usually the sweet spot in the porsche lineup, at least in the macans. same handling, turbo engine with nearly all the power, blacked out trim/decals (preferred by me) at a more manageable price point.

a quick peek at the porsche calgary website has a fully decked out GTS at 98k. agreed a similar turbo would be 120+

Buster
01-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Basically what Rage said. Porsche depreciation is really weird. For instance GT3 values hold well, and they are good cars for driving and then selling for a small loss. 911 turbo cars depreciate like a motherfucker. Base 911's see modest depreciation both on a percentage basis and in total. If I were to actually buy a 911, I'd buy a stripped out base model, because they are fun at slightly slower speeds, and just a more pure experience.

But certainly on a dollars-per-smile level, Porsches don't really cut it. I mean, you'd have to be a real Porsche guy to get a C4 instead of an AMG GTS. Hell, the GTS closer competitor (not in price) is the 911 turbo, and even then I think I take the GTS.

Buster
01-17-2018, 01:56 PM
I really don’t like the GLC, inside and out. When my C63 was delayed they gave me one, my salesman though my wife would like it. Complete backfire as I hated it after driving it for the weekend. Barely fit my golf clubs in the back better than my C...

I think my next SUV will be a fuck off sized domestic with a V8. Or maybe a pickup, though I have no use for one.

This is good to know. I haven't so much as sat in the GLC....although the size seemed to me to be good. I don't need trunk space, I just like the additional ground clearance and AWD for a winter car. (If I ran one car all year, I'd have a very different overall car strategy - E63S wagon, all day every day.)

rage2
01-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Basically what Rage said. Porsche depreciation is really weird. For instance GT3 values hold well, and they are good cars for driving and then selling for a small loss. 911 turbo cars depreciate like a motherfucker. Base 911's see modest depreciation both on a percentage basis and in total. If I were to actually buy a 911, I'd buy a stripped out base model, because they are fun at slightly slower speeds, and just a more pure experience.

But certainly on a dollars-per-smile level, Porsches don't really cut it. I mean, you'd have to be a real Porsche guy to get a C4 instead of an AMG GTS. Hell, the GTS closer competitor (not in price) is the 911 turbo, and even then I think I take the GTS.
The key is what gives you the satisfaction and smiles for your money. You and I (I think) are similar that we value the driving experience over anything else. On the other end of the spectrum, I've known people with base Boxsters that love the car because it's got a Porsche badge on it. Then there's people that value interior, and back to this convo/comparison, the Macan interior is way ahead of the GLA interior.

Buster
01-17-2018, 02:03 PM
I think we both also value buying something a bit different than the regular cat. While the 911 is pretty amazing, it doesn't turn my head, or any one else's head. Just from my knowledge of your car list, I think you share that as well. You can drive something awesome. Or you can drive something awesome and unusual.

One of the reasons I loved (and still love), the CTS-V wagon: no one knows what it is, but then that one guy in 1000 freaks out.

rage2
01-17-2018, 02:19 PM
I think we both also value buying something a bit different than the regular cat. While the 911 is pretty amazing, it doesn't turn my head, or any one else's head. Just from my knowledge of your car list, I think you share that as well. You can drive something awesome. Or you can drive something awesome and unusual.

One of the reasons I loved (and still love), the CTS-V wagon: no one knows what it is, but then that one guy in 1000 freaks out.
Yea, it's tougher now that Mercedes and AMG are so mainstream. I loved the fact that AMGs were hidden gems back in the day. One of the reasons I went with the RC-F last time around because nobody took the car seriously and it impressed me contrary to all the negative reviews of the car. The C63 became way too common and just didn't do it for me anymore.

flipstah
01-17-2018, 02:29 PM
The key is what gives you the satisfaction and smiles for your money. You and I (I think) are similar that we value the driving experience over anything else. On the other end of the spectrum, I've known people with base Boxsters that love the car because it's got a Porsche badge on it. Then there's people that value interior, and back to this convo/comparison, the Macan interior is way ahead of the GLA interior.

I'm that guy and the Macan interior is way better than the GLA interior IMO.

ganesh
01-17-2018, 02:38 PM
I'm that guy and the Macan interior is way better than the GLA interior IMO.
+1
The views here crack me up :). If you want fun factor to dollar ratio there are much cheaper options than Porsche/Merc/BMW's. The fun car I drove up until now is STi. I loved it.

killramos
01-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Yea, it's tougher now that Mercedes and AMG are so mainstream. I loved the fact that AMGs were hidden gems back in the day.

I think the 43 line has helped with this. All the people who want the badge and practicality buy those, and you see way fewer 63's now in w205. Wilk probably change onc the 63's start hitting the used lots but such is life.

As long as the "dilution" doesn't bother you I think it only helps to keep the 63's awesome.

Buster
01-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Isn't AMG going to more of a distinct platform? I don't track future developments much, but I think witht he 53, and the GT platform sedan, it seems AMG is getting MORE unique, not less.

rage2
01-17-2018, 03:08 PM
+1
The views here crack me up :). If you want fun factor to dollar ratio there are much cheaper options than Porsche/Merc/BMW's. The fun car I drove up until now is STi. I loved it.
Yea, but the car needs to be livable as well. Honestly, if I could fit more in the the EVO and not feel like a piece of shit, that would be by far my top choice for winter duties. That and if they still made 'em.

Isn't AMG going to more of a distinct platform? I don't track future developments much, but I think witht he 53, and the GT platform sedan, it seems AMG is getting MORE unique, not less.
Yea, that's why I ordered an E53 Coupe haha. Hybrid AMG, definitely different.

A2VR6
01-17-2018, 04:04 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, I've known people with base Boxsters that love the car because it's got a Porsche badge on it.

Funny enough, in my opinion some of the base Boxster's i've driven (987+) are more fun and drive better (imho) than alot of 911's (other than the GT cars of course).

rage2
01-17-2018, 05:12 PM
Funny enough, in my opinion some of the base Boxster's i've driven (987+) are more fun and drive better (imho) than alot of 911's (other than the GT cars of course).
Haven't driven the latest ones, but the original base boxster sucked ass.

A2VR6
01-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Haven't driven the latest ones, but the original base boxster sucked ass.

If it was a 986, i dont blame you on that... they are pretty dreadful. 2nd gen was a night/day difference

Hallowed_point
01-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Yea, it's tougher now that Mercedes and AMG are so mainstream. I loved the fact that AMGs were hidden gems back in the day. One of the reasons I went with the RC-F last time around because nobody took the car seriously and it impressed me contrary to all the negative reviews of the car. The C63 became way too common and just didn't do it for me anymore.

Rage2 is the hipster of the lux car world.

klumsy_tumbler
01-18-2018, 11:01 AM

+1

986 was.... meh. The shudder-worthy interior didn't help anything either.

Buster
01-25-2018, 08:16 PM
So got the car back from PPF and winter wheels/tires installation. Bob hooked me up. Most 18 inch wheels don't fit over the AMG brake calipers. So Bob and crew went and had the suppliers dig up the barrel diameters of the all the wheels, and found some that had internal clearances for the brakes. That's amazing service. (Of course the price was also very competitive.) Thanks tirebob.

https://i.imgur.com/FFpyPEj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VlJfNat.jpg

Also got the PPF finished by Rainer. Always good work there, too.

https://i.imgur.com/qqq1mjQ.jpg

Tucked in with the rest of the garage!

https://i.imgur.com/8XLBejX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LncVu7P.jpg

max_boost
01-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Holy shit. Winning.

Ya man. This Buster guy is totally boss

Sorath
01-25-2018, 08:42 PM
nice lineup! :bigpimp:

ExtraSlow
01-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Bob is da wheel boss!

killramos
01-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Those rims AMG Replicas? Look damn close.

Buster
01-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Those rims AMG Replicas? Look damn close.

I think that's the intention. But it's just a coincidence... We had to pick them based on the clearance.

killramos
01-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Fair enough. Look good on the car.

Lucky break with the 18's, gives you much better options for tires.

Buster
01-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Rage2 went with the 19s and performance winters... But I wanted max attack winter.

killramos
01-25-2018, 10:04 PM
I would tend to agree with you, just accept max performance isn't happening for 4 months and enjoy not getting stuck.

Have had this debate with Rage haha...

I think I want PA4's for the C63 unless i can somehow find something with studs. I also kind of want a truck...

rage2
01-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Always hilarious seeing the GLA, which is sold as an SUV, parked beside an average SUV. :rofl:

zhao
01-25-2018, 11:26 PM

Funny you should mention 911s. I agree 3 porsches to get for maximum dollar to smiles. GT3 manual (thank god they put a manual back in it), a bare bones base model 911 (i'd add sports seats), or probably the most fun but not the nicest on resale, a 718 cayman S, as those things are just as fast as a GT4 (or as near makes no diff) and are more of a sports car than a current gen 911. I want a base 911 for the exact reasons u mentioned.

Everything else just seems so meh for how much it tacks on to the price for what you get... and porsche optional extras add up too fast.

i've also been looking at autotrader a lot and came to the conclusion who the hell buys a used 2012 991 for 90g+ with 5 options (3 of which u dont want, 1 u do, and 1 who cares) when you can get a 2018 for 106g O_o. I'd say a base 911 probably has the best resale as long as its a current gen.

K3RMiTdot
01-26-2018, 12:14 AM
my car's poking in one of your pics. the color looked fantastic in person!

Buster
01-26-2018, 12:37 AM
which car?

K3RMiTdot
01-27-2018, 01:00 PM
the white tlx ha

Bladeh
01-29-2018, 10:32 PM
Very nice winter beater!

Does it not come with the AMG sports wheel?

90_Shelby
01-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Where’s the wagon?

Buster
01-29-2018, 10:56 PM
Where’s the wagon?

Going to be detailed and new windshield, and then put up for sale. I've got it in the garage.

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice winter beater!

Does it not come with the AMG sports wheel?

Yep..same wheel as my GTS.

- - - Updated - - -

In case anyone was wondering, that's not me in the pic on the first page, lol

Buster
02-03-2018, 01:24 AM
Quick update at the 600km mark.

1. Amazing car. Very impressed.
2. With the winters, and the snow we had this past week, I was having a ball. I realized after a while that everyone around me was driving to the conditions, normally, and I was not. Perhaps the best snow/winter car I've ever driven. Sport mode, ESP to sport, 4 wheel spins up through 1st gear, fart and crackle into second....shit eating grin and giggles. So easy to get that little drift going around the corners (err...on private land).
3. In the dry, this car might be the fastest point-to-point urban assault vehicle you can buy. Literally. I can't think of anything that would touch it. The tiniest bit of ground clearance over the competitors increases the versatility a lot. If someone handed me a package to get across town as fast as possible, I'll jump in the GLA over the GTS.
4. the interior materials are not top notch, but the build quality is excellent. It's put together very well. No squeeks or rattles, even in the cold.
5. My wife took it to her office the other day because I needed her car. She called me from the parkage, thinking there was something wrong with the car. "It's making a noise." " What noise". ""Like a really loud rumble." "hehehehe". I could picture her in the executive parking area of the parkade, in her Armani suit, firing up a bright green, be-winged, growl machine. haha
6. The turning circle is beyond horrible.
7. It's smoother at speed than expected. I find myself on the deerfoot letting the speed creep up to really illegal speeds without me noticing.
8. Non-car people really like it.

rage2
02-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Agree on all points. Surprised you didn’t mention anything about off the line turbo lag (left turns are brutal for me) but your model year is improved in that area compared to mine. We should meet up one day so you can compare the difference.

Btw ESP off and M mode for transmission is even more entertaining in the snow.

Buster
02-03-2018, 11:01 AM
I rarely turn ESP off. I'm a pussy. But I'll try it.

On the turbo lag - ya, it's taken some getting used to. I actually find that the car picks the cogs better than I do most of the time in S+. I'm always geared a little low when I'm doing the shifting. When I first got the car, and had it in manual mod, got stuck in some traffic on deerfoot doing 70. When the traffic cleared I hit the gas in low RPM in 6th (maybe 7th). Thought the car was broken because the throttle wasn't working, haha. I've been driving big torque V8s for so many years. In the CTS-V if you floor it in any gear, it's Punch It Chewy time.

Buster
02-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Ya, we should meet up. I do the AMG recommended break-in, though...so im still being a bit careful. I should start doing the hard break-in.

Super_Geo
03-22-2018, 08:26 PM
Ya, we should meet up. I do the AMG recommended break-in, though...so im still being a bit careful. I should start doing the hard break-in.

Let me know when you guys meet up. Just hit the 1 month mark with the Macan GTS, absolutely love it so far. Would be nice to compare in person :hitit: