PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Tacoma Mega Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

13TTFX4
01-14-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm looking at swapping my CX3 out for a Tacoma as I am starting to really miss the convenience of a truck. I went and checked it out at a dealer and have talked to a few people that have mentioned Toyota rarely deals on the Tacoma is it worth paying the premium for the Tacoma when you can get a half ton for the same price? as well can anyone with a Tacoma give me there opinion on the truck and if they were able to get any discounts.

craigcd
01-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Look at the resale compared to other small trucks. In my opinion nothing compares to a Tacoma (Toyota)

I had a 2014 Tacoma and the size of the truck drove me nuts and went back to a Tundra. If you have a need for a full sized truck I would go straight to a Tundra as the fuel savings are minimal.

ExtraSlow
01-14-2018, 02:01 PM
You pay more per pound for the Toyota, and you can get more capabilities in a half ton, but taco owners really love those trucks.

Very hard to compare against anything else. But if you like the small size, check out the Canyon. Seems to be a nice little package.

ShermanEF9
01-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Look at the resale compared to other small trucks. In my opinion nothing compares to a Tacoma (Toyota)

I had a 2014 Tacoma and the size of the truck drove me nuts and went back to a Tundra. If you have a need for a full sized truck I would go straight to a Tundra as the fuel savings are minimal.

my truck is much better on fuel than the tacoma... and its a half ton.

my opinion, other than resale, the tacoma is better at nothing compared to the big 3 half tons.

craigcd
01-14-2018, 02:35 PM

my opinion, other than resale, the tacoma is better at nothing compared to the big 3 half tons.

I am not disagreeing with you. Aside from the fact that I still wouldnt buy a "big 3" but thats personal preference.

TurboMedic
01-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Its also good to note that the taco is really cramped inside, not just shortcomings capability wise but in terms of comfort as well. Plus, I find every toyota I've been in feels "cheaper" inside, just in terms of materials and such. Nissan as well.

OTown
01-14-2018, 04:03 PM
It depends what you want it for, basically. If you have a family of 5, then you should look at a halfton. The tacoma crew cab is large enough for most, but it is a bit cramped for 4/5 adults if you have a tall driver with the seat back. If you want a city-capable fun truck and dont care about max payload, then get the tacoma. Is it expensive? Yes, but it keeps its value longer on the market and they are usually bulletproof with very little issues and they last forever. It's also a strong performer off-road with great clearance.

Id say the quality control is much better on the taco than my friend's f150s that seem to constantly get recalls and issues. But to say its the same price as a half ton is ignoring the fact that you can get a fully loaded tacoma for tens of thousands less than a fully loaded f150 Lariat/Platinum/KRanch.

The MPG is similar, with the 2018 Tacoma 4x4 at 17mpg city/20 hwy. F150 with 5L is 14 city/19 hwy (ecoboost is a bit more). But it is a bigger truck.

Id say this website does a pretty good job explaining the difference:

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/10/42487/
Tacoma

Pros:
-Turning Radius
-Parking in the city/urban environment
-Probably an appropriate size vehicle for my needs
-Anticipated reliability
-Fun to drive

Cons:
-Reported transmission issues (including low fluid from the factory and gear hunting) (2016)
-Reported leaf spring squeaks
-Reported hood shake issues
-Gas Mileage is not very good when compared to larger trucks
-Drum Brakes
-Cramped back passenger area
-Seat position and Manual adjustment
-Unknown gas grade (premium or mid grade – Note Colorado the grades are typically 85, 87 and 91)
-After market leather on TRD Sport (+$1,000)

F-150

Pros:
-More truck than I will likely need
-Familiar with how they handle (I have one as part of the work fleet)
-EcoBoost is a beast of an engine
-Promising Gas Mileage
-Seat position & electronic adjustment
-Interior comfort for driver and passengers
-Mid Grade Gas
-Disc Brakes
-Leather option on interior

Cons:
-Parking and Turning Radius
-Size
-Reliability questions on EcoBoost
-Unfamiliar with Turbo engines and maintenance requirements
-Ford Infotainment is clunky and cumbersome compared to other systems
-Aluminum body may be costly if repairs are needed

13TTFX4
01-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. before I bought my cx3 I had a 13 F-150 but I sold it as it was a little larger than I needed thus the compromise of going for the Tacoma. I'm hoping to find a leftover 17 TRD sport with a manual transmission as I feel they will be more likely to deal on old stock. I was hoping somebody might know of or have a contact that might be willing to deal a little on a Tacoma.

as well Otown I think that comparison touches on what I was thinking.

ShermanEF9
01-14-2018, 09:57 PM
I am not disagreeing with you. Aside from the fact that I still wouldnt buy a "big 3" but thats personal preference.

Thats fair. to each their own. I just find the options for smaller trucks don't make sense. the price of a tacoma i can get a fairly loaded lariat F150.

Also fuel economy numbers don't make sense. i routinely get 20+ mpg in my 5.0.

r3ccOs
01-14-2018, 10:56 PM
Thats fair. to each their own. I just find the options for smaller trucks don't make sense. the price of a tacoma i can get a fairly loaded lariat F150.

Also fuel economy numbers don't make sense. i routinely get 20+ mpg in my 5.0.

thats why I think the mid-sized market died for a while there...

but that said, a Full sized is quite big these days, and the mid-size is like the size of a full size from a decade back.

a 03' F150 crew cab 4x4 was a 120" wheel base in comparison to a 145 let alone a 156 & was less wide.

Tacoma with the 4.5 foot IMO is useless as a truck BUT is great as a utility vehicle... Even stock, or slight level and tires, its an incredibly capable and dependable vehicle to take gear into the brush.

Whether hunting, backcountry skiing, biking, camping, etc... IMO this is the vehicle you trust, the same way you trust its big brother the landcruiser in the outback or middle east.

My friend had a 4.0L 5 speed that has over 370k on the odo, and it has had nothing but consumables and suspension components replaced, which was aftermarket anyhow.

Would I tow with it? Would I use it as a work truck? nope... maybe as a painter, just enough payload, but anything else its pretty much useless.

Would I take one over a Heep... Anyday

Vdubbin
01-14-2018, 11:04 PM
I've put 55,000+ Km's on my 2016 Tacoma. Love the truck. Taken on several trips to the states and lots of camping. Lots of aftermarket support and I have yet to do more then the standard services. I work 1-2 times a week down in crowsnest pass and have done the trip about 40+ times and it's a comfortable ride summer and winter. Just added the remote start from 12V solutions so now it can warm up for me in the winter. The 2017's have a few options I'd like to have like the power rear window but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the truck again.

r3ccOs
01-14-2018, 11:39 PM
I've put 55,000+ Km's on my 2016 Tacoma. Love the truck. Taken on several trips to the states and lots of camping. Lots of aftermarket support and I have yet to do more then the standard services. I work 1-2 times a week down in crowsnest pass and have done the trip about 40+ times and it's a comfortable ride summer and winter. Just added the remote start from 12V solutions so now it can warm up for me in the winter. The 2017's have a few options I'd like to have like the power rear window but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the truck again.

I wish it had more power and a bit more utility, which I reckon is why people are hesitant to spend full size dollars on it. that said, I think thats part of its longevity.

taco axels were always one of the strongest in the game, super strong carriers and low profile is why YJ/TJers swapped them in the day.

I think with the 3.5 the drivetrain remains underburdaned and will be almost always reliable.

Tik-Tok
01-15-2018, 07:17 AM

It's better at parking in a tight garage, where those extra few inches matter.

craigcd
01-15-2018, 07:44 AM
Tacoma with the 4.5 foot IMO is useless as a truck BUT is great as a utility vehicle... Even stock, or slight level and tires, its an incredibly capable and dependable vehicle to take gear into the brush.

Thats what I had, might have a better opinion if I had the longer box. I still found the interior cramped and the gas mileage is comparable to a full size.

If the truck was just for me, hauling one dirt bike, no kids in tow, I would likely own one. I actually went to a "old style" Tundra that had one owner and no KM's that super mint so I have a "bigger" truck but still have the V8 and a larger interior.

Brent.ff
01-15-2018, 09:09 AM
I'm into year 4 with my 2014 taco, longbox doublecab... It's definitely the truck for me and what we do. From camping, fishing, iceclimbing, i don't think there is a more capable truck without any modifications out there (with proper tires, and other then the shortbox version). Canopy on the back makes it pretty much the ultimate vehicle for us. Slept in the back ~20+ times from camping to fishing, and it's great. Comfier then a tent other then condensation issues. I'm almost 100k into it, and have had virtually zero hiccups. Compare this to my offices 2016 F150s, where they have all gone in for recalls and multiple issues.

The full size trucks are fancy pants on the inside, but i'd ask how many people actually use their truck to do 'truck' things. The only spot I haven't use the taco for is for hauling dirt or gravel cause of the canopy.

Re: pricing. Hammer out the numbers. I was never a 'buy new' guy, but if you're really wanting a tacoma, you'll be hard pressed to find a used one for much cheaper then new when you factor in the financing (assuming you're financing it..maybe a bad assumption on Beyond). It didn't make sense for me to take a year old, and come out with the same car payment when i could get 1.9% on new. I used Phil Dao @ Heninger and was happy, but think he's moved to charlesglen?

Aleks
01-15-2018, 09:20 AM
I'm looking at swapping my CX3 out for a Tacoma as I am starting to really miss the convenience of a truck. I went and checked it out at a dealer and have talked to a few people that have mentioned Toyota rarely deals on the Tacoma is it worth paying the premium for the Tacoma when you can get a half ton for the same price? as well can anyone with a Tacoma give me there opinion on the truck and if they were able to get any discounts.

When I compared the Tacoma Off Road to Tundra Off Road (2017s), the price difference was around $10,000. There is a dealership in Calgary that will deal on the price. PM me if you are interested and I will give you contact info. I see you're in Edmonton.

I like driving it more than the Tundra as it's way easier around town and in parking lots. It's much more fuel efficient as well. I would suggest trying both Off Road and Sport trims as there is a bit of difference in how they drive. Sport trim will be much more firm in daily driving. My 2 dislikes are the lack of seat adjustment and engine/transmission programing. The engine has good power but has to be revved. Transmission shifts a lot, I assume for Fuel Economy's sake.

The trims in Canada are kind of weird so the bed size depends on what trim you want and what transmission. They are either 5 or 6 foot beds. As pointed out already they have amazing resale. After 4 years they retain about 82% of their value which is best in Canada along with Jeep Wrangler. So buying new makes more sense in my opinion.

The new Ranger will be interesting as well. 2.3 Ecoboost and 10 speed. But that's about a year away.

nj2Type-S
03-06-2018, 01:37 PM
my wife and i are highly considering getting one. we looked at a 2018 limited, and as quoted just under 51k all-in. not sure if that's a great deal, but they seem to not really budge on pricing.

Abeo
03-06-2018, 02:07 PM
my wife and i are highly considering getting one. we looked at a 2018 limited, and as quoted just under 51k all-in. not sure if that's a great deal, but they seem to not really budge on pricing.

Jesus... I know it's apples to oranges, but my semi-loaded Pro4x frontier was 34K all-in this past fall. I didn't consider a full size because I like a smaller vehicle, but for 51k I'd be looking past a mid size truck

Brent.ff
03-06-2018, 02:10 PM

Depends on the dealer. I'd shop around a bit... Also, are the limited's only in shortbox's now? As much as i'd love a shortbox, the longbox has earned it's dues camping, traveling, sleeping, etc

Aleks
03-06-2018, 02:15 PM

What dealer are you working with?

blitz
03-06-2018, 02:15 PM
When you look at resale, you also need to factor in the finance rate (if you're not paying cash) and how long you plan on keeping it. Way back right out of school I needed a truck for work, I compared the Tacoma with the Canyon. I really liked the Taco, Canyon was cheaper, but with no significant down payment the Toyota's 5.59% interest rate added $5k to the cost over 60 months ($4k over 48 months).

Ended up getting the Canyon $13k cheaper OTD with Employee Pricing and at 0% financing I saved $18k total compared to the Taco.

nj2Type-S
03-06-2018, 02:35 PM
we are working with canyon creek, and the short box is a must because we want to park it in the garage.

the limited trim is also a must, because i want all the safety add-ons included. so is 51k all-in too much? lol

Brent.ff
03-06-2018, 02:43 PM
get away from Canyon Creek. They were the worst that i dealt with when i was looking at mine.. I'm impressed you even got an 'all-in' price from them, they wouldn't tell me a thing past the monthly cost (or tell me for how many months..it was brutal)... Call Phil Dao @ Charlesglen

dirtsniffer
03-06-2018, 04:08 PM
lol, $50k+ for a midsize truck. You could get into a denali canyon for several thousand less.

killramos
03-06-2018, 04:12 PM
I would be buying a smaller F150 instead.

51k for the interior of a Tacoma. Gross.

BokCh0y
03-06-2018, 04:16 PM
When you look at resale, you also need to factor in the finance rate (if you're not paying cash) and how long you plan on keeping it. Way back right out of school I needed a truck for work, I compared the Tacoma with the Canyon. I really liked the Taco, Canyon was cheaper, but with no significant down payment the Toyota's 5.59% interest rate added $5k to the cost over 60 months ($4k over 48 months).

Ended up getting the Canyon $13k cheaper OTD with Employee Pricing and at 0% financing I saved $18k total compared to the Taco.

My buddy went and did the same thing on a canyon over a taco back in 08, upfront savings were definitely more attractive for sure. But at the end of the 10 years, he sold his canyon with 275k km for $3k, whereas the same taco in the same shape with same mileage is still going for $15k easily, some times more.

:dunno:

dirtsniffer
03-06-2018, 04:41 PM
My buddy went and did the same thing on a canyon over a taco back in 08, upfront savings were definitely more attractive for sure. But at the end of the 10 years, he sold his canyon with 275k km for $3k, whereas the same taco in the same shape with same mileage is still going for $15k easily, some times more.

In 2015 I was looking at a Tacoma and the dealers generally wanted $45,000 for a well equipped model. I ended up buying a silverado LT for the same price. A quick kijiji browse has 2015 tacomas and 2015 silverado lt's for around $33 to $35k

redblack
03-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Definitely not worth 51K lol, so many other great trucks out there for that kind of money.

Aleks
03-06-2018, 04:59 PM
4 year retained value for Tacoma and Wranger are best in the country by far at 82%. I am in month 5 of my lease and my residual is right at what the truck is worth on the used market. Deserved or not, these things have the best resale value in Canada, or at least that was the case looking back at historical data. Things can change going forward.

http://www.thecarmagazine.com/2017/02/17/canadian-black-book-hands-out-2017-best-retained-value-awards/

As with anything these days there are many trims of this truck from low 30k range all the way to close to $60k. Just like you can get an F150 from low 30k to over 100k. Something for everyone.

Brent.ff
03-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Really depends on what you're using it for.. I'd way rather drive a taco daily, plus in the bush, then any full-size

BokCh0y
03-06-2018, 05:15 PM
I'd prefer a taco over any full size as well.

The FJ cruiser is another one that's held it's value big time.

nj2Type-S
03-06-2018, 05:22 PM
we won’t be doing ang off-roading anytime soon. this is just for hauling stuff around within the city. we like toyota because of the reliability and the resale value. i agree that the interior is kind of low-rent though haha!

as i’ve said before, we need to park it in the garage, so a full-size is out of the question.

J-hop
03-06-2018, 08:10 PM
we won’t be doing ang off-roading anytime soon. this is just for hauling stuff around within the city. we like toyota because of the reliability and the resale value. i agree that the interior is kind of low-rent though haha!

as i’ve said before, we need to park it in the garage, so a full-size is out of the question.

Do you ski? That’s one problem with the short box. It’s useless for skis. Almost every tacoma at the hill I see has a Thule box which makes it taller than an F350 by a few inches so you have the same garage clearance problem except height instead of length

Brent.ff
03-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Wonder if that’s people just being stupid.. diagonally the short box would still be like 190..

relyt92
03-06-2018, 08:46 PM

If you want a car with a box have you looked Ridgeline?

J-hop
03-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Wonder if that’s people just being stupid.. diagonally the short box would still be like 190..
Yea could be. Still 4 people with gear trying to fit each one diagonally I would think would be a mess. 5 feet or whatever the length is, is just so incredibly small.

Could also be for the option to use it for cross country. I’m a small guy and I use 205s

Brent.ff
03-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Ya I have the 6 foot box.. for off-roading the 5 foot would be handy, but the 6 has paid its way

parabs
03-06-2018, 10:13 PM

You show me someone paying 15k+ for a midsize any brand truck and ill show you a moron. This poppycock about toyota's holding their value is by brainwashed toyota honks. Buddy has a 14 tundra crewmax trd, 96k kms. Complete with the hopeless powertrain, a stability control system that cant fully be defeated, third front diff, second rad, second a/c compressor, and bohonk looks....nevermind the unsuitable frame "underpinning" that garbage. Can't get 30 for it. He's upside down on it.

"what a surprise"

IF resale value was as good as they say, why doesn't the rental fleets, avis, enterprise, etc, all run toyota fleets? Oh, right, it's because it's malarkey.

People are braindead to buy a year old vehicle with typical miles for 2-4k off new MSRP. Why wouldnt you pick your colour and options and get new? Used asking price and used sale prices differ greatly in Toyota.

J-hop
03-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Ya I have the 6 foot box.. for off-roading the 5 foot would be handy, but the 6 has paid its way

Yea I don’t even think they’re that long either.

The double cab longbed total length number I found is 212 inches which is just over a foot longer than a Dodge Challenger (I know, big car). Would fit in some pretty small garages.

OP might be worth measuring your garage out if that’s the only reason you would go with the 5’ over the 6’

nj2Type-S
03-06-2018, 11:31 PM
we looked at the ridgeline, and the boss didn’t like it. she’ll be driving the truck, so it should be something that she really likes.

we drove the frontier pro-4x with the short bed tonight, and it wad alright. nowhere near the tacoma in terms of safety features and “cool” points, but it’s definitely a cheaper option.

our garage is 220” long, so both the tacoma and frontier should fit.

i just talked to a buddy of mine who used to work for GM as a mechanic. he basically said to stay away from the canyon unless i like stuff breaking lol.

ShermanEF9
03-06-2018, 11:44 PM
I paid 51 for my near full load Lariat.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-06-2018, 11:51 PM
I paid 51 for my InRich loaded Lariat.

Ftfy

JRSC00LUDE
03-07-2018, 07:46 AM
we looked at the ridgeline, and the boss didn’t like it. she’ll be driving the truck, so it should be something that she really likes.

Did you really just call your wife "the boss"? :nut:

One of my men at work, every time he answers the phone when his wife calls he says "Hi Boss!". Fuck. :barf: :nut::rofl:

Anywho, carry on. I like my Tacoma, dont give a fuck about the interior personally.

Brent.ff
03-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Well at least the boss stopped you from buying a van with a box on the back...

Aleks
03-07-2018, 08:34 AM
Yea I don’t even think they’re that long either.

The double cab longbed total length number I found is 212 inches which is just over a foot longer than a Dodge Challenger (I know, big car). Would fit in some pretty small garages.

OP might be worth measuring your garage out if that’s the only reason you would go with the 5’ over the 6’

212.3" is the Short bed, Long bed is 225.5".

mzdspd
03-07-2018, 09:36 AM
i just talked to a buddy of mine who used to work for GM as a mechanic. he basically said to stay away from the canyon unless i like stuff breaking lol.

"used to work for GM".. The Canyon has only been around for less than 2 years and as a mechanic, you only see the ones with issues... I have a few friends that are mechanics and work at dealerships. and every one of them says that they would never buy a vehicle from that brand of dealership lol.

The other thing to consider is that the Tacoma is the least reliable Toyota out there (according to Consumer reports). Not saying to not buy the Tacoma, but that is so overpriced. You can get a Denali Canyon for that price. Even my 2015 Sierra 1500 which is extremely well equipped was 45k brand new.

blitz
03-07-2018, 09:51 AM

That's why you have to factor in the time as well so you can subtract interest costs from the resale. Not saying it's always better one way or the other, but you can't look at pure resale values without looking at the borrowing costs. Your buddy also would have had higher monthly payments for 4 or 5 of those years if he had picked the Taco, but them would have seen better resale on year 10.

Tik-Tok
03-07-2018, 11:00 AM
The Canyon has only been around for less than 2 years

If you ignore MY2003-2016, then sure, it's been around for less than 2 years.

nj2Type-S
03-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Did you really just call your wife "the boss"? :nut:

One of my men at work, every time he answers the phone when his wife calls he says "Hi Boss!". Fuck. :barf: :nut::rofl:

Anywho, carry on. I like my Tacoma, dont give a fuck about the interior personally.

ha! all the married men know what's up....or they're just fooling themselves lol.

yeah, she walked in the honda dealership, and walked out in 10 mins haha!

i really wish the trd upgrade came in the 5' beds. if it did, it would've beena no-brainer. it looks like we're down to choosing either a frontier or a tacoma.

ShermanEF9
03-07-2018, 02:24 PM
if its between those two, buy the taco. frontier is so dated. same truck as 2008.

nj2Type-S
03-07-2018, 02:29 PM
we are looking at the frontier pro-4x at around 40k. it has the short bed and leather interior and automatic transmission, which fits our needs. in order to get the tacoma with those 3 features, we'd have to get the limited at arond 50k.

the tacoma has a TON of safety features, but for 10k less, can't deny the price difference.

mzdspd
03-07-2018, 02:36 PM
ha! all the married men know what's up....or they're just fooling themselves lol.

LOL.. I can tell you this.. I don't care what my wife (boss) says.. I would never let my wife make the decision between a 51k Taco and a 40k Frontier.. Have you even looked at the other options?

Edit: But seriously, if leather, auto and shortbox are your 3 main requirements.. Why not buy the lower end model and just get a katzkin kit for leather?

ShermanEF9
03-07-2018, 03:00 PM
^^^ this. Otown did that in his and it turned out really good.

Aleks
03-07-2018, 03:01 PM
"used to work for GM".. The Canyon has only been around for less than 2 years and as a mechanic, you only see the ones with issues... I have a few friends that are mechanics and work at dealerships. and every one of them says that they would never buy a vehicle from that brand of dealership lol.

The other thing to consider is that the Tacoma is the least reliable Toyota out there (according to Consumer reports). Not saying to not buy the Tacoma, but that is so overpriced. You can get a Denali Canyon for that price. Even my 2015 Sierra 1500 which is extremely well equipped was 45k brand new.

Having owned a full size and now a mid size there are pluses and minuses for both. OP clearly wants a specific combination of equipment in a smaller truck. I got my "well equipped" Tacoma for around $40k before GST. (This was about 10k less than a comparable full size same trim, same make) His $50k is the top Tacoma Limited OTD, that is pretty much the same price as the top trim Canyon and top trim Ridgeline. They each have their pros and cons. For example the Canyon still doesn't have push start, Tacoma doesn't have powered seats, Ridgeline has the best interior out of the 3, etc etc.
I am going to guess the top trim Ranger will be right around 50k all in as well (Lariat Ranger).

ShermanEF9
03-07-2018, 03:07 PM
my biggest issue with the frontier is this. Which one is brand new and which one is from 2009?

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/nissan/frontier/2017/oem/2017_nissan_frontier_extended-cab-pickup_sv_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/nissan/frontier/2009/oem/2009_nissan_frontier_extended-cab-pickup_pro-4x_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Interior is a little easier to tell, but still VERY dated.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dsc00793.jpg

http://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/vehicles/2018/frontier/colors-photos/interior-photos/2018-nissan-frontier-dash-with-technology-large.jpg

Brent.ff
03-07-2018, 03:13 PM
we are looking at the frontier pro-4x at around 40k. it has the short bed and leather interior and automatic transmission, which fits our needs. in order to get the tacoma with those 3 features, we'd have to get the limited at arond 50k.

the tacoma has a TON of safety features, but for 10k less, can't deny the price difference.

Do they no longer do the TRD Sport + Plus? That was an option when i was looking, that was TRD + leather. You couldn't force a limited with all the chrome onto me if you tried..

Aleks
03-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Do they no longer do the TRD Sport + Plus? That was an option when i was looking, that was TRD + leather. You couldn't force a limited with all the chrome onto me if you tried..

They do, but the manual is short box, auto is long box. To get short box double cab in auto, your options are limited or TRD Off Road trim now in Canada.

Brent.ff
03-07-2018, 03:26 PM
..i'd take the TRD Off-road over the limited anyday... but i could care less about leather.

Toyota canada and their stupid trims..funny to look at the US site where you can pretty well make it exactly as you like

nj2Type-S
03-10-2018, 11:42 AM
we ended up with a the 4-door trd off-road with the 5’ bed. the dealer included running boards and upgraded the cloth seats to black leather with red stitching (pretty stoked about that!). thanks for your guys’ input!

looking for a hard tonneau cover now, and the bakflip mx4 seems to be pretty good, but sort of pricey. any other more economical alternatives? thanks again!

bjstare
03-10-2018, 02:11 PM
we ended up with a the 4-door trd off-road with the 5’ bed. the dealer included running boards and upgraded the cloth seats to black leather with red stitching (pretty stoked about that!). thanks for your guys’ input!

looking for a hard tonneau cover now, and the bakflip mx4 seems to be pretty good, but sort of pricey. any other more economical alternatives? thanks again!

My parents have that exact truck and tonneau at their place in the states, my dad loves the bakflip. Likes everything about the truck, except the bare bones /economy interior.

OTown
03-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Congrats!

As far as tonneau cover, I got the Undercover Flex from the guys at Auto Truck Depot. It was basically the exact same as the Bakflip, but hundreds less. Im still happy with it on my 2nd gen taco.

nj2Type-S
03-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Congrats!

As far as tonneau cover, I got the Undercover Flex from the guys at Auto Truck Depot. It was basically the exact same as the Bakflip, but hundreds less. Im still happy with it on my 2nd gen taco.

thanks! i’ll look into that brand.

redblack
03-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Undercover also comes with a 3 year warranty while bakflip only has two.

Deetz
03-10-2018, 05:02 PM
I couldn't be happier with a tacoma. Until last summer, i had a full size Nissan Titian, but with no more need for pulling massive loads, and a V8, i sold it, and went for economy going with the 2.7L 2 wd 4 banger. Makes 27 in the city and 37mpg on the hiway. Also, the interior materials are far better to that of the Titan and G35 i have....never buying another nissan product ever again. Never had any issues with the Toyota, it's awesome, and drives that way imo

rizfarmer
03-11-2018, 07:24 PM

Good choice. That combo will be the most sought after package down the road when you go to sell. I have the same truck and it was basically timing and luck that got me the truck as dealers in my region were sold out and my closest dealer couldn’t be bothered to try and find me one.

This is my 3rd taco so I may be biased but I find the Tacoma superior in almost every way to the competition (except maybe for the ZR2). As others have said, Frontier is dated and I can’t stand sitting in GM interiors. 5 years down the road you will be glad yo7 went Tacoma

rizfarmer
03-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Let’s get some Tacoma pics going here’s mine

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac354/new2teg/0AC173D1-5C8F-473F-BD0A-7CA8F38BE7D3_zpsrlzfxa14.jpeg (http://s915.photobucket.com/user/new2teg/media/0AC173D1-5C8F-473F-BD0A-7CA8F38BE7D3_zpsrlzfxa14.jpeg.html)

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac354/new2teg/5985687C-8345-439A-BC2E-8986F19BBEC3_zpslzlbczv8.jpeg (http://s915.photobucket.com/user/new2teg/media/5985687C-8345-439A-BC2E-8986F19BBEC3_zpslzlbczv8.jpeg.html)

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac354/new2teg/IMG_0227_zps34z9h196.jpg (http://s915.photobucket.com/user/new2teg/media/IMG_0227_zps34z9h196.jpg.html)

That’s an undercover flex, it fits flush, install was super easy and completely bolt on, which is why I went with the flex.

13TTFX4
03-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Hey nj2Type-S were you able to get the dealer to discount at all if so would you be willing to share what they were able to give you as a discount?
I think I have made my mind up that I will be buying a Tacoma in the near future but I am waiting to see if there will be any savings with the red Tag sale.

Have my eye on a holdover 2017 TRD sport double cab if there is no discounts to be found on the 2018's.

Carter240
03-11-2018, 09:59 PM
It seems like the prices have been increased on the 3rd Gen. Iirc my 2nd gen (2014) was 46k but was lifted and had 33” tires and a few other upgrades. I love it though, it always works. I recently did a suspension overhaul replacing the Toyotec coilovers with Fox 2.5’s. The Toyotecs don’t last if you’re thinking of getting it lifted.

Aleks
03-12-2018, 08:03 AM
I also have a TRD OR double cab. I think it's the sweet spot in the lineup as far as equipment goes.

https://twstatic.net/attachments/img_9531-jpg.2369483/

Got a cheap Pro grille replica right away too.

https://twstatic.net/attachments/fullsizerender_1-jpg.2602484/

Brent.ff
03-12-2018, 08:47 AM
we ended up with a the 4-door trd off-road with the 5’ bed. the dealer included running boards and upgraded the cloth seats to black leather with red stitching (pretty stoked about that!).

Think that's the best thing you could have gotten for the 5 foot bed. Having the OR capability vs the chrome on the limited..you've come out ahead. While i wish i had the OR vs the Sport, i've never once needed the locking diff

Nav13
03-12-2018, 10:14 AM
I will be picking up my 18 Sport DCSB this weekend. Was debating to wait for RedTag deals as well but they gave me invoice plus $600(doc fee, Amiv, AC, Tire tax) so I took the deal now. Not sure how much truth there is to this but they said they wouldn't give this deal outside of Jan-March when business isn't slow.

Also if you are planning on leasing you can put $5500 down (MSD - Multiple Security Deposits) they will knock off 1.5% on the interest rate. This is not a down payment, its fully refunded to you at the end of the lease as long as their is no damages (doesn't matter if you buy it out). If you buy out your lease, the full amount goes towards the buy out price. You save around $500/year on interest so you're getting ~9% return on your money. It's supposed to be 0.15% off for every monthly payment you make in advance up to 10 payments but they just told me $5500 for 1.5% off.

I originally wanted the Offroad but it doesn't come with the stick in the double cab so I went with the Sport. My last 2 vehicles had a locking rear diff and I never touched it once. But not going to lie, if we got the manual in the offroad like in the states I would have gotten the offroad.

Hey nj2Type-S were you able to get the dealer to discount at all if so would you be willing to share what they were able to give you as a discount?
I think I have made my mind up that I will be buying a Tacoma in the near future but I am waiting to see if there will be any savings with the red Tag sale.

Have my eye on a holdover 2017 TRD sport double cab if there is no discounts to be found on the 2018's.

muse017
03-12-2018, 11:32 AM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4776/39876382185_6696e77946_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23KJT9M)2017 TRD offroad dcsb (https://flic.kr/p/23KJT9M) by dongwoo shin (https://www.flickr.com/photos/140357078@N02/)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4782/39876382165_2fb0bc2520_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/23KJT9r)2017 TRD offroad dcsb (https://flic.kr/p/23KJT9r) by dongwoo shin (https://www.flickr.com/photos/140357078@N02/)

Picked up mine on Feb 24th and it's a perfect truck for my use(Occasional furniture/equipment hauling, towing a small trailer)
As for the toneau cover, I order the cheap hard cover one from Costco and it's pretty good quality and bolt right on to the bed.

Rocket1k78
03-12-2018, 12:00 PM
For anyone looking at the Trifold hard tonneaus, i would highly recommend getting one where you dont have to open it to close your tail gate. I almost bought the undercover flex but the guy showed me that in order to close your tail gate you have to open the last panel(even if you didnt need it open), close your tail gate and then drop the open panel. I know this is a total first world problem but after opening and closing my tail gate without having to open the last panel on the tonneau for the last month theres no way i could consider having to do that each time.

Sugarphreak
03-12-2018, 12:01 PM

nj2Type-S
03-12-2018, 01:26 PM

the msrp including all the taxes and fees on the toyota.ca site comes up to $47.5k. i got mine for $47 all-in. what the dealership included are: oem running boards, upgraded cloth seats to katzkin black leather, lifetime oil change.

to be honest, i'm not sure how much the katzkin leather upgrade actually cost, but yeah...we decided to pull the trigger on it.

Brent.ff
03-12-2018, 01:27 PM
which dealer you end up going with?

nj2Type-S
03-12-2018, 02:56 PM
which dealer you end up going with?

ended up going with canyon creek. south pointe gave me almost a similar quote, though.

mzdspd
03-12-2018, 02:56 PM
I almost bought the undercover flex but the guy showed me that in order to close your tail gate you have to open the last panel(even if you didnt need it open), close your tail gate and then drop the open panel.

I think I did that for the first month of ownership with my Undercover Flex. Have not done it since and I have never had an issue with the rubber seal or anything.

OTown
03-12-2018, 08:39 PM
I think I did that for the first month of ownership with my Undercover Flex. Have not done it since and I have never had an issue with the rubber seal or anything.

Same here. Theres just enough room for it not to rub or be any issue. I like the fact that its pretty hard to open from the outside too with a locked tailgate, so adds a bit of security.

dirtsniffer
03-13-2018, 05:55 AM
The new version of the flex that doesn't require to lift the cover before closing the tail gate

Rocket1k78
03-13-2018, 02:28 PM

A sucker is born every minute lol he got me good because the bakflip was $200 more.

Tik-Tok
03-13-2018, 05:16 PM
Are you trying to steal Ryan's client base?

13TTFX4
03-13-2018, 05:45 PM
for you guys that bought the 2018's do you find the Toyota safety sense a positive or a negative. With that being the only change I don't know if its worth the extra $3000 from the 2017 I'm looking at.

muse017
03-13-2018, 10:08 PM
for you guys that bought the 2018's do you find the Toyota safety sense a positive or a negative. With that being the only change I don't know if its worth the extra $3000 from the 2017 I'm looking at.

I test drove 2018 taco and at least for me, it wasn't worth spending $3000 for just safety features. I bought a 2017 demo with 3500km instead.

dirtsniffer
03-13-2018, 10:53 PM
Question for you resale aficionados. Is the statistic based on resale book value compared to msrp? Average resale value vs msrp? Resale book value vs average purchase price? Or average resale value vs average purchase price?

From my understanding, it is based off msrp and doesn't include financing costs. As companys do not release average unit sale price. Financing could be figured out i assume. My experience has shown that Toyota doesn't discount much from msrp (10%+ compared to 5%) and has higher rates compared to domestics (0% vs 3-5%).

If these factors aren't included it is easy to see why Toyota is the leader in resale. But I haven't found the stats behind the headlines.

This could probably be it's own thread but I'm on my phone and committed.

Re

Aleks
03-14-2018, 08:05 AM
Question for you resale aficionados. Is the statistic based on resale book value compared to msrp? Average resale value vs msrp? Resale book value vs average purchase price? Or average resale value vs average purchase price?

From my understanding, it is based off msrp and doesn't include financing costs. As companys do not release average unit sale price. Financing could be figured out i assume. My experience has shown that Toyota doesn't discount much from msrp (10%+ compared to 5%) and has higher rates compared to domestics (0% vs 3-5%).

If these factors aren't included it is easy to see why Toyota is the leader in resale. But I haven't found the stats behind the headlines.

This could probably be it's own thread but I'm on my phone and committed.

Re

I can't comment on how they calculate the resale values. I can give you my personal experience with these as I've had 2.

I leased my Tundra in 2014 and after selling it privately with including taxes, lease interest charges my monthly payments were around $270/month equivalent. This is due to being able to sell the truck for close to 90% (32 months in) of I got it for at lease start. I guess I got lucky with the perfect timing of Canadian $ tanking and these things being exported to USA, same case with domestic crew cab half ton trucks.

When I got my Tacoma in October last year I was able to get around 6% off msrp. As with any segment there are dealers that negotiate better than others. I found that Tacoma (non TRD Pro) is no more expensive than Ridgeline and Colorado/Canyon given similar trims. It is true however that Tacoma has some very poor finance/lease rates.

Toyota doesn't advertise discounts on the Tundra all that well. You can get 10-15% off the upper trim levels if paying cash. They also have 0% lease on them and very low finance rates too.

SkiBum5.0
03-14-2018, 09:30 AM
Resale on the Toyota trucks is also driven by supply and inventory levels allowed by Toyota Canada. Rarely do dealers have extra stock, and I know the Tundra plant is at 100% capacity and has been since 2008. Our office is right across the street from the biggest Toyota buyer in the world (Gulf Coast Toyota) and their guys talk about it at lunch.

78si
03-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Is anyone interested in selling their Tacoma?

nj2Type-S
03-17-2018, 01:25 PM

just picked up our taco!!! soo sweeet!!

ExtraSlow
03-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Is anyone interested in selling their Tacoma?

Nobody sells a Tacoma. Ever.

Redlined_8000
03-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Does anyone here have pics of their ATV/Quad in the bed of their Tacoma? This is my limiting factor. Preferably trying to see if my Kawasaki 750 brute force will fit in the bed.

killramos
03-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Nobody sells a Tacoma. Ever.

If they did they might have to rationalize that it depreciated more than they expected it to :rofl:

BokCh0y
03-17-2018, 06:25 PM
You show me someone paying 15k+ for a midsize any brand truck and ill show you a moron. This poppycock about toyota's holding their value is by brainwashed toyota honks. Buddy has a 14 tundra crewmax trd, 96k kms. Complete with the hopeless powertrain, a stability control system that cant fully be defeated, third front diff, second rad, second a/c compressor, and bohonk looks....nevermind the unsuitable frame "underpinning" that garbage. Can't get 30 for it. He's upside down on it.

"what a surprise"

IF resale value was as good as they say, why doesn't the rental fleets, avis, enterprise, etc, all run toyota fleets? Oh, right, it's because it's malarkey.

People are braindead to buy a year old vehicle with typical miles for 2-4k off new MSRP. Why wouldnt you pick your colour and options and get new? Used asking price and used sale prices differ greatly in Toyota.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

gmc72
03-19-2018, 09:26 AM

just picked up our taco!!! soo sweeet!!

Nice looking truck!!

mzdspd
03-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Does anyone here have pics of their ATV/Quad in the bed of their Tacoma? This is my limiting factor. Preferably trying to see if my Kawasaki 750 brute force will fit in the bed.

That would be an extremely tight fit.. Judging from this.. It would not work because the Brute force has a width of 46.5" and the truck bed at the wheel wells is 42" and 45.5" at the top of wheel wells.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/detailed-bed-dimensions.400407/

I can tell you from my experience with a 2015 Sierra (5.5' box) and a stock AC Mud Pro (width being 47.5"), it has 51" between the wheel wells and it is tight so I don't think a tacoma would work. You would need a trailer.

13TTFX4
03-20-2018, 10:54 PM
So after all my questions I finally pulled the trigger and I pick up my NEW 2017 TRD Sport next Thursday.

Redlined_8000
03-21-2018, 01:31 AM
That would be an extremely tight fit.. Judging from this.. It would not work because the Brute force has a width of 46.5" and the truck bed at the wheel wells is 42" and 45.5" at the top of wheel wells.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/detailed-bed-dimensions.400407/

I can tell you from my experience with a 2015 Sierra (5.5' box) and a stock AC Mud Pro (width being 47.5"), it has 51" between the wheel wells and it is tight so I don't think a tacoma would work. You would need a trailer.

Thanks alot for the info. Yeah I figured as such.

BokCh0y
03-21-2018, 06:50 AM
So after all my questions I finally pulled the trigger and I pick up my NEW 2017 TRD Sport next Thursday.

Congrats!!! Pics when you pick up please.

nj2Type-S
03-21-2018, 06:15 PM
i guess the tailgate doesn’t lock when i lock the doors. hmmm..i gotta keep that in mind lol.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2018, 11:58 PM