PDA

View Full Version : WTB: old iPad

eglove
01-17-2018, 12:08 AM
Looking for a mini preferably. Black screen preferred over white. Size doesn't really matter. (lol..) Retina is the only requirement. Just going to be used for web browsing/ibooks. Kinda looking to be a cheap ass though ~$200 budget. Don’t wanna deal with kijiji

eglove
01-31-2018, 02:58 PM
bump, looking for a mini preferably

Mitsu3000gt
01-31-2018, 04:22 PM
Best Buy sells refurb ipad Mini 2's for $289 through a third party...it's 5 years old now though and honestly even $200 would be too much in my opinion.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/apple-ipad-mini-2-wifi-cell-2nd-generation-7-9-inches-16gb-gray-refurbished/10670673.aspx?

The batteries are probably starting to crap out after so much time, too, and they are slow AF by any modern standard. We had a similar generation full sized iPad and it became so slow it was literally unusable.

They also have full sized ipad's for $150-$220 if you decide you're OK with older devices.

Considering you can buy a brand new 2017 9.7" iPad for only $419, even these refurbs seem overpriced. The 2017 iPad is actually a pretty good deal performance-wise if you don't mind a non-laminated LCD and ridiculous bezels. I realize it's way outside your budget though.

For e-books you can get a Kobo for $59 that will be a million times nicer to read on than any tablet, and it will have 2 month battery life. Not sure if you want 2 devices, though.

If it's just for internet browsing and/or books, you could look into a Lenovo Tab 4 8" as well - probably the highest bang for the buck tablet around, it runs clean Android with no bloat, and they start at $199:

https://www3.lenovo.com/ca/en/tablets/android-tablets/tab-4-series/Lenovo-TB-8504/p/ZZITZTATB08

If I were you I'd maybe look at a modern 8" tablet and a modern e-reader for almost the same money.

eglove
02-09-2018, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the great tips Mitsu. I found a cheap mini off of kijiji for $150 so that will do for now.