PDA

View Full Version : Dog boarding / Dog sitter recommendations

pheoxs
01-17-2018, 10:27 AM
So we have a small 10lb mini schnauzer and unfortunately are going to be gone a week in Feb and all of our family and usual friends to look after him can't take him that week.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for somewhere that can look after him. We're open to either taking him somewhere or finding a dog or dog/condo sitter (with references) to look after him. Super friendly / happy dog, easy to take on walks. Bonus points if its near ish to Chinook.

jabjab
01-17-2018, 10:38 AM
places like Muttley Crew offer dog boarding. Try to give them a try, they most likely will need a trial day of daycare to see how he behaves.

Homerrca
01-17-2018, 01:25 PM
My wife and I have been using High Tails Pet Resort http://www.hightails.ca/ for a few years now when we do our shopping trips to the US. Never had an issue and they seemed to enjoy it there.

J-hop
01-17-2018, 06:40 PM
We have used both springbank and country club, both are great just depends where you live in the city.

sabad66
01-17-2018, 08:01 PM
We used the app rover when we left for a week. It’s kinda like airbnb for pet sitters

The lady we used was really good and worked out to like $20 a night or so

jabjab
01-18-2018, 08:42 AM
We used the app rover when we left for a week. It’s kinda like airbnb for pet sitters

The lady we used was really good and worked out to like $20 a night or so

so you just drop off your pet at someones house that you don't know? 20 bucks is cheaper than daycare!

bjstare
01-18-2018, 08:47 AM
so you just drop off your pet at someones house that you don't know? 20 bucks is cheaper than daycare!

Yeah, not gonna lie, not a chance I'd do that.

jabjab
01-18-2018, 08:53 AM
I just checked it out, there are people with lots of reviews but I'd still feel uncomfortable dropping off my dog at someone I don't know house.Then again, when you drop off your dog at boarding facility you don't know them either but at least they are an established business with insurance.

sabad66
01-18-2018, 09:31 AM
We did a meet & greet before, there are user reviews, they are all insured, and we even got daily txt message updates with pictures. here's the process:
https://www.rover.com/dog-boarding/

If you prefer having your dog in a home then this is a good option - if they do well in a kennel then by all means do that.

$20 just happened to be the price with our sitter... some people on there charge more.

sabad66
01-18-2018, 09:41 AM
personally i just am not a fan of kennels where you have 50 dogs running around sniffing each other's asses, passing around germs and who knows what else. our dog sleeps with us in our bed and the thought of that just irks me lol (even if we bathe her after the kennel)

also i like her to get the attention she is used to. just not possible at a kennel...

Strider
01-18-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanks for sharing that, I figured such a thing must exist but haven't looked for it. I'll look into it a bit more the next time I travel and my usual sitter isn't available.

Right now I'm using Sleep Rover and I actually love that my beagle gets a ton of play and attention... but the price has been going up and up. $60/night now, and it's not unusual for us to take 2-3 week vacations.

tirebob
01-18-2018, 10:29 AM
We use a local girl who pet sits in your home. It is nice because when we are on holidays she doubles as a house sitter and takes care of all our pets (4 dogs, gecko, hedgehog and fish) waters the plants etc. She works for a vet too so if anything were to occur health wise with our pets she can easily handle it. She charges us $35/day. I believe a smaller dog like your she be willing to watch in her own home as well. She is fantastic!

jabjab
01-18-2018, 04:40 PM
We use a local girl who pet sits in your home. It is nice because when we are on holidays she doubles as a house sitter and takes care of all our pets (4 dogs, gecko, hedgehog and fish) waters the plants etc. She works for a vet too so if anything were to occur health wise with our pets she can easily handle it. She charges us $35/day. I believe a smaller dog like your she be willing to watch in her own home as well. She is fantastic!

Does she take on new clients? I'm interested!

R-Audi
01-19-2018, 09:19 AM
I have a family friend that runs a dog sitting business in Deer Run.. be happy to give a referral.