PDA

View Full Version : Prima Donna - are you?

speedog
01-20-2018, 11:02 AM
After having been on beyond for a number of years now, it has become apparent that some beyond members just don't like to get their hands dirty - in effect, they're a prima donna, a person who is vain and consider themselves too good to do certain tasks and live under conditions they consider inadequate.

Now wanting or having the nicer things in life don't necessarily make one a prima donna but when one states that they would never have a garbage man as a friend (a close relative of mine), then you're venturing into prima donna territory.

So a poll as well and although I may be wrong, there are at least a few beyond members who easily come across as prima donnas.

rage2
01-20-2018, 11:24 AM
I don’t camp, does that count?

bjstare
01-20-2018, 11:28 AM
I've done a lot of work around the house/on the car/in the yard/etc in the past. Now I'm at a point where I'm spending more time at work and I'd rather pay someone to do that stuff than spend my limited and valuable spare time doing something I don't enjoy. Voted no, since I'm not above doing any given task, just make the conscious choice not to. Plus, I'd still be friends with a garbage man if he was a cool dude.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2018, 11:32 AM
There's three very different things wrapped up into this post.
1) what kind of work you feel most satisfied doing,
2) what kind of people you are comfortable hanging out with,
3) what kind of lifestyle you live in terms of your possessions.

I'm solidly prima donna in 1/3 areas and not really at all in the other two.

I think you took offense when I previously stated that I didn't think I was best suited to hands-on individual contributor careers. Or maybe I imagined that. There was none intended, I love craftsmen and down to earth people.

lasimmon
01-20-2018, 11:42 AM

I think you took offense when I previously stated that I didn't think I was best suited to hands-on individual contributor careers. Or maybe I imagined that. There was none intended, I love craftsmen and down to earth people.

That was the first thing I thought of reading this.

TomcoPDR
01-20-2018, 11:46 AM

I don’t camp neither. But can still pitch tent tho.

NissanFanBoy
01-20-2018, 12:06 PM
I would consider people who camp in a big fancy trailer to be Prima Donnas HAHAHA, there was a whole thread on those people. Not sure where to draw the line though, we currently front country camp in tents but I'm looking for a Boler type trailer this summer. Guess I'm turning into a Prima Donna.

Tik-Tok
01-20-2018, 12:09 PM

Pretty much. I mean as someone in a trade I have no problems getting my hands dirty. I'll try to do everything around the house that I can (because I'm... thrifty). Some things are beyond my skill though. Also I've got no problem downgrading my lifestyle if required (my wife however would probably protest to a certain extent).

For the third matter however, over the past 2 decades I've noticed a certain type of person with traits I don't like in a human, gravitates towards certain careers. So Yes, I'm a snob when it comes to people when I find out what they do for a living and they have to prove otherwise for me to like and hang-out with them. Typically these careers attract people with FAR too much self-created drama, and I got tired of having a social circle that could have been on a Jerry Springer episode every other week.

I would consider people who camp in a big fancy trailer to be Prima Donnas HAHAHA, there was a whole thread on those people. Not sure where to draw the line though, we currently front country camp in tents but I'm looking for a Boler type trailer this summer. Guess I'm turning into a Prima Donna.

There's a certain point in your life when you realize you're tired of waking up in a puddle because your tent leaked. I mean the best camping will always be on trails you can't take a trailer, but it makes a good basecamp.

A790
01-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Almost every time I "get my hands dirty" I wind up breaking shit, getting paint on shit, dropping shit, putting holes in shit, denting shit, etc.

I'm a clumsy fuck that shouldn't be building or reparing things. I stick to what I'm good at and hire people to do the shit I can't.

What's the problem with that? lol

max_boost
01-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Don’t judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree

Sugarphreak
01-20-2018, 12:55 PM

HiTempguy1
01-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Almost every time I "get my hands dirty" I wind up breaking shit, getting paint on shit, dropping shit, putting holes in shit, denting shit, etc.

I'm a clumsy fuck that shouldn't be building or reparing things. I stick to what I'm good at and hire people to do the shit I can't.

I don't think he means that.

Truly, some people are just awful at mechanically based professions or work. I think its the conscious effort to not do it that he is referring to, even when you do have the limited ability to do it.

It highlights how different people are. I could not ever imagine bringing my car someplace and PAYING someone to change my summer rims and tires over to winter rims and tires. Simply insane.

But if you are a office type and don't have the tools, it makes perfect sense, where to me, it blows my mind. In my entire life, I've only ever ONCE had a vehicle towed because it broke down. But I've fixed many vehicles on the side of the road with a fucking pocket knife and some ingenuity. But I wouldn't expect someone who grew up their whole life going through grade school, then directly onto university, that's always worked with books, or writing/paper, or computers to be able to do that.

I might make fun of them, but I understand.

Some people on Beyond though, you can tell they simply can't conceive of doing this stuff, even though its well within the realm of any normal person.

killramos
01-20-2018, 01:49 PM
I have no problem with doing physical work myself, but I think a lot more people need to accept that certain tasks are beyond them and if you want things done right you should leave it to a professional.

holden
01-20-2018, 02:06 PM
Count me in the Prima Donna camp. I always wear gloves when doing work (gardening, working on the car, moving). Don’t like getting my hands dirty and prefer to kee them soft as a baby’s butt.

Buster
01-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Is this a topic about the unwashed masses?

Ewwww

Buster
01-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Also... Fuck camping.

I'm standing on the shoulders of thousands of years of human progress to shit in a toilet and sleep on my mattress. I'm not going to give that shit up voluntarily. That's insanity.

dirtsniffer
01-20-2018, 02:39 PM
Prima Donna is one of my favorite cheeses

max_boost
01-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Camping is paying to be homeless. No thanks.

EK 2.0
01-20-2018, 02:59 PM
Yes, yes I am.

killramos
01-20-2018, 03:01 PM
lol the aversion to camping is hilarious.

Do you all seriously find sitting around a campfire with a few cold ones laughing with friends and enjoying the wilderness to be that repulsive?

:dunno:

Also i swear rage has mentioned camping in his GLA on here before...

Congrats! I have the roof rack, coupled with the huge trunk was able to do a 2 week camping road trip with the family with no issues. Love this car!

People stare at the car because it sounds like a quieter group B rally car from the 80s. It’s a lot louder on the outside than inside. Not only do you get the snap crackle and pop, you get turbo whistle and turbo surge sounds too haha.

Which is it :rofl:

rage2
01-20-2018, 03:56 PM
lol the aversion to camping is hilarious.

Do you all seriously find sitting around a campfire with a few cold ones laughing with friends and enjoying the wilderness to be that repulsive?

:dunno:

Also i swear rage has mentioned camping in his GLA on here before...

Which is it :rofl:
I don’t camp by choice, but I had to this one time.

See that big camper on the left that belongs to my gf’s sister? That’s where I “camped”. Gf had to sleep in the tent. She was also 7 months pregnant. :rofl:

So to answer your question, yes I went camping, no I didn’t camp. I enjoy shooting the shit by the fire, not at camp, but at the lake cabin.

Pretty sure this qualifies me as an outdoors prima donna. Her family makes fun of me about it all the time.

RealJimmyJames
01-20-2018, 04:04 PM
OP is a prima donna. Lol, so much drama in all his threads.

speedog
01-20-2018, 04:45 PM

Nah, I never took offence. I've been management in the past, worked in a technical engineering job, been a local union president, been a technician, been around I guess but that doesn't mean I have to judge you. If anything, I applaud you for being honest.

Posted this thread and went a away not expecting much response. Camping, I don't do that either - mostly because I'm lazy. Same reason I don't care to travel anymore - I just can stand the effort and time that has to be spent in getting somewhere.

speedog
01-20-2018, 05:00 PM
OP is a prima donna. Lol, so much drama in all his threads.

You certainly are an aspiring comedian, if you knew me you'd know I'm not about putting on the airs and certainly I am not a prima donna. I guess one's level of prima donna-ness kind of comes down to how selfish one is - in that aspect I am fairly selfish with respect to my time which has a lot of value to me but oddly, being stuck in traffic doesn't really bug me that much or at least it doesn't as much as it used to.

ExtraSlow
01-20-2018, 05:11 PM
I've done every kind of camping and each has thier place. Certainly now with my new high end trailer I'm in the world of "glamping" for sure. Although I am ripping out the TV asap. That's where I draw the line, no tv.

Actually planning on getting back into backpacking now kids are reasonable age.

max_boost
01-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Well my (imaginary no pics no proof) gf is 100% white so let's see how many more white ppl things I get caught up into lol

bjstare
01-20-2018, 07:33 PM
I enjoy shooting the shit by the fire, not at camp, but at the lake cabin.

This.

Growing up, we spent our weekends camping in a trailer. Camping in a tent is more work than it's worth, from so many respects.

We no longer camp. My parents have a house (cabin?) outside golden, my wifes parents have a place on okanagan lake. We go there when we want to be outdoorsy :rofl:

So I guess, in certain respects, I'm obviously a primadonna haha.

bleu
01-20-2018, 08:39 PM
I grew up camping every Summer in a tent trailer with my family. I absolutely hated it. I’m allergic to a lot of things and being in nature doesn’t help. My husband loves the outdoors and is an avid hiker and scrambler. Thankfully he goes with his friends for his excursions.

I am certain I will eventually have to bite the bullet and go camping when our little one gets older as I definitely want the experience/opportunity available.

max_boost
01-20-2018, 08:58 PM
I grew up camping every Summer in a tent trailer with my family. I absolutely hated it. I’m allergic to a lot of things and being in nature doesn’t help. My husband loves the outdoors and is an avid hiker and scrambler. Thankfully he goes with his friends for his excursions.

I am certain I will eventually have to bite the bullet and go camping when our little one gets older as I definitely want the experience/opportunity available.

OMG

Little one?! CONGRATS!!!

Funny tho, pretty sure my ex dumped and one of the reasons was probably cuz I didn't go hiking/camping :rofl:

NissanFanBoy
01-21-2018, 11:37 AM
OMG

Little one?! CONGRATS!!!

Funny tho, pretty sure my ex dumped and one of the reasons was probably cuz I didn't go hiking/camping :rofl:

My advice for hiking, you pick the hike and pick challenging ones, they're great for exercise and it's actually fun when they're hard, I'd start off with something like Ha Ling Peak ) formerly Chinamans Peak, since you're a Chinatowner lol, seriously, hiking can be fun if it's not the boring kind, plus if you have a fun car it's an excuse to take it for a long spirited drive somewhere on the open roads...

Abeo
01-21-2018, 12:25 PM
As far as getting my hands dirty: no problem at all. Annoys me when I get grease under my fingernails that I can't clean out before a client meeting, though, so I tend to wear gloves... but work at least 2 nights a week in the garage on something. Working on my car or building something brings me lots of fulfillment.

I don't get caught up with appearances and status, but I do tend to have friends with professionals. I have my dirt bike buddies who are blue collar, and it doesn't bother me. I've lost some status-seeking friends because I don't share the same value system (why did you buy that house, drive that car, wear that shirt, etc). I'm comfortable with living modest.

Camping, I've done snow-hut to tent camping, and don't really have a problem with it. I'm just getting older and thinking it's not worth it. I'd rather have a toilet, hot shower, and a warm bed now. Also I can't stand to smell like smoke after the fact.

J-hop
01-21-2018, 03:33 PM
lol from urban dictionary:

....Is now often used to describe someone arrogant, vain, or just plain bitchy.

Pot meet kettle :D

Maxt
01-21-2018, 04:19 PM
If not the camping question, do you own jeans with birds embroidered on the legs...

botox
01-22-2018, 10:17 AM
I love the outdoors and enjoy outdoor activities but there better be a mint on my pillow when I get back to the hotel

jaylo
01-22-2018, 05:06 PM

Asians don't camp.

jaylo
01-22-2018, 05:09 PM
I think being Prima Donna comes with age. I used to DIY pretty much everything (I still can do it) but these days I would rather pay someone to do it as I'd rather spend the time with the family.

Also, I don't live in the N.E. anymore and any DIY with your vehicle is frowned upon in my neighbourhood.

austic
01-22-2018, 06:39 PM
I would say I probably am. I hate camping unless its in a lakeside house with a hot tub and boat / wake boarding etc. I doubt that counts.

I don't mind trying to do things for myself but suck at it and break everything so end up paying professionals.

And Like most native Calgarian prima donnas I have an innate fear of the North East and Walmarts in general.

JordanEG6
01-22-2018, 06:39 PM

This.

I will try my hand at it for the most part. But I likely end up fucking it up. My success rate for doing things that aren't car related is about 50%. I'm extremely clumsy.

lilmira
01-22-2018, 07:05 PM
I don’t line up for gas at Costco but I make my own sandwich for breakfast.

J-hop
01-22-2018, 10:15 PM
I don’t line up for gas at Costco but I make my own sandwich for breakfast.

Yea I bet it’s made with some cheese no one can pronounce though :D

Hallowed_point
01-23-2018, 09:37 AM
Not really. I have no qualms about rotating my own tires or changing my own oil. I'll shake hands with the garbage man at work as well.

That said, typically I just find it more convenient to have the dealer change the oil so that I don't have to deal with the death glare from
fellow condo owners. Also no need to worry about disposal, making a mess etc. I'll still rotate my own tires though.

As I get older, I find that certain things that I'd happily try in the past are turning into "should I just pay someone to do this?" Tired of hurting
myself, buying specialty one time use tools, and having surprises come up that are not mentioned in the walk through with car part installs.
That being said, I'm stubborn and over confident at times, so I'll usually still try just to say "this is the last time..."

Camping in a tent? Did it growing up. I well remember waking up with a sore back. Not too interested in that anymore. Although we slept in the Accord
last summer for 1 night as we couldn't find a hotel in Montana. Yep, brush the teeth at a walmart washroom kinda deal.

J-hop
01-23-2018, 01:33 PM
I imagine a lot changes when you have kids. Time getting your hands dirty is almost always better spent with your kids. Some people just get soft as hell though and deserve to be ridiculed :D

For me I work a desk job and hate how soft it makes me, although I enjoy the job. So my time I spend outside of work is always doing hands on projects. I gravitate towards blue collar friends. I just cant relate to someone that thinks discussing wines is meaningful. Nothing wrong with that I just cant carry a conversation with a person like that, we aren’t going to have anything material in common.

I always said though, the day I think I’m “too good” to buy clothes or other items at Walmart is the day someone needs to put me in check.

Swank
01-23-2018, 03:43 PM
I think if you'd rather walk than take the c-train/bus or declare bankruptcy instead of live in the NE then you're the poster child of a prima donna, and that's a shit ton of beyonders :rofl:

Buster
01-23-2018, 03:47 PM
I think if you'd rather walk than take the c-train/bus or declare bankruptcy instead of live in the NE then you're the poster child of a prima donna, and that's a shit ton of beyonders :rofl:

What's the NE?

:P