PDA

View Full Version : Costco gas lineups

Manhattan
01-22-2018, 10:08 AM
How many beyonders fill up their gas at costco and endure those long lines? I have a costco membership but pretty much given up hope on filling up there. It's like a disaster movie - easily 10 to 20 min waits every time. NW costco is especially bad regardless if its weekend or weekday. Between the time and gas wasted on idling I don't know why anyone bothers to save the buck or two. Looking to hear some others perspectives.

Disoblige
01-22-2018, 10:14 AM
Never filled up at Costco, never will.

vengie
01-22-2018, 10:15 AM
How many beyonders fill up their gas at costco and endure those long lines? I have a costco membership but pretty much given up hope on filling up there. It's like a disaster movie - easily 10 to 20 min waits every time. NW costco is especially bad regardless if its weekend or weekday. Between the time and gas wasted on idling I don't know why anyone bothers to save the buck or two. Looking to hear some others perspectives.

I'd rather pay the extra $4 and save myself 20-30 mins of sitting there.

dirtsniffer
01-22-2018, 10:15 AM
I fill up at superstore. $.03/L in rewards dollars.

D'z Nutz
01-22-2018, 10:17 AM
I usually do my Costco (warehouse) runs at the end of the day before it closes and get gas after so the line ups aren't as bad. Note that the gas stations close one hour after the warehouse. The only time I'm ever near the NW location is when I'm up there having dinner at my mom's on Sundays and I avoid it like the plague cause it's so busy.

That said, I've started going to the new location at the end of 17th ave SE. The place is so much quieter compared to any of the other Calgary locations and I've never had to wait in line for gas ever. Depending on where you live, that may be out of your way, but for me it's only slightly further away than the Deerfoot location but the smaller crowds make the extra few minutes drive worth it.

syscal
01-22-2018, 10:20 AM
I'd rather pay the extra $4 and save myself 20-30 mins of sitting there.

This. Those gas stations are a bit of a pet peeve for me in Beacon Hill. I always park on the south side and the traffic that station causes is crazy. I don't get why you'd go through the aggravation to save a couple dollars.

Wondering if people just aren't doing the math and think they save more? :dunno:

D'z Nutz
01-22-2018, 10:24 AM
Wondering if people just aren't doing the math and think they save more? :dunno:

Not just that but for some vehicles, the minuscule savings are often negated by the drive out there if it's out of the way hahaha

Mitsu3000gt
01-22-2018, 10:29 AM
Never filled up at Costco in my life. The wait is not worth the ~$2 I might save on gas. If I need gas, I fill up wherever it's convenient - doesn't matter what the price is. Over the course of an entire year I'd be very surprised if I could save more than $20 by wasting time in lineups or driving around hunting for the lowest price.

jaylo
01-22-2018, 11:04 AM
Takes me about 20 minutes to get gas and grocery, thanks to Superstore Click and Collect I can order ahead of time and pick it up with about 5 minutes wait time. Superstore usually has $25 free item for $250 and over purchase, plus the PC Plus points helps here and there.

I used to have a Costco membership. Along with overbuying, chaotic atmosphere, and long lineups for gas and grocery, it was not worth my time.

dj_rice
01-22-2018, 11:25 AM
I fill up at superstore. $.03/L in rewards dollars.

Pay with a PC Debit Card or Credit Card and get 0.07/L in reward dollars

J-hop
01-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Not just that but for some vehicles, the minuscule savings are often negated by the drive out there if it's out of the way hahaha

I always laugh when gas prices drop and people go buy Jerry cans to fill up not realizing it’s going to take 10 fills just to break even on the Jerry can

nismodrifter
01-22-2018, 11:55 AM
PC points and Superstore FTW

tonytiger55
01-22-2018, 11:56 AM
I go to Heritage on the way home from work. I avoid the weekends and usually do Tuesdays or Thursdays late afternoon/evening. The wait is not bad, hardly ever 20 minutes.
Average wait is 5-10mins. But most times, I hardly ever wait that long. Im about 1 or two cars behind.
People don't actually know the length of the fuel pump is long so you dont have to go to one that is on the same side of your gas tank.

The average saving is around 0.7cents a litre. Adds up to around $4-5 a tank. I save about $170 a year, but thats if I always fill up there. Does not seem a lot, coupled with other savings stuff it adds up for me (i.e my electric is then paid up four months).

But yeah...NW is a bit of a joke for lineups.

botox
01-22-2018, 11:58 AM
I always laugh when gas prices drop and people go buy Jerry cans to fill up not realizing it’s going to take 10 fills just to break even on the Jerry can
Yeah it's the same thing as people driving across the city cause they heard on the radio there's cheap gas. Waste $5 of gas to save $2 :nut:

I never pay attention to gas prices cause if you need gas you need it, it's not like you are going wait a week for the price to drop. I hate getting gas at Beacon Hill Costco but wife always tells me to get it there. I like gassing up at the coop by my house cause it's close and has a car was.

Manhattan
01-22-2018, 12:04 PM
For a lot of people it's all about the thrill of the chase. Some people will buy a car load of stuff they didn't need cuz they saved $X dollars. My parents do the same when it comes to buying groceries in bulk and it ends up being a burden to eat it all or just goes to waste. :facepalm:

r3ccOs
01-22-2018, 12:15 PM
For a lot of people it's all about the thrill of the chase. Some people will buy a car load of stuff they didn't need cuz they saved $X dollars. My parents do the same when it comes to buying groceries in bulk and it ends up being a burden to eat it all or just goes to waste. :facepalm:

If I do go, it’s on my way to work and no line

The_Penguin
01-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Hell no. Not ever.
Even 5 minutes is too long.

Shlade
01-22-2018, 12:40 PM
I'd rather pay full price than wait in line at the Costco pumps... I don't care much what I put in my daily but I'll usually go out of my way to toss shell 91 in my truck in the summertime.

Tik-Tok
01-22-2018, 12:44 PM
I buy Costco gas in Kamloops and Abbotsford, when driving to Van.Island and back. That's about it. Those line-ups are obscene, and typically it's the husband waiting in the gas line while the wife is inside shopping.

I typically use Coop. Money back at the end of the year, plus those cash-off receipts can really add up.

Homerrca
01-22-2018, 12:52 PM
I hit the costco on 17th SE during the week before I zip into work. When I get there at 6:30, there is no one so I can quickly fill up and get out. If I need gas any other time, I will just drive to a shell station and top up the tank.

Xtrema
01-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Current price:

Co-Op: 108.4 with store 1.5c coupon = 106.9
Superstore: 108.4 with 7c coupon = 101.4
Costco: 104.4

Am I missing something here? Why is everyone lining up at Costco?

Disclaimer: I only go to Co-Op now for gas since they are the only one that carries Shell premium. And I also assume the same CC promo applies to all 3.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-22-2018, 01:01 PM
I almost always fill up at the Rockyview location as we get groceries there often. Drop the s/o off at the doors to get started on groceries, go fill up. Lines are short in the mornings anyway, even on weekends.

benyl
01-22-2018, 01:26 PM
Current price:

Disclaimer: I only go to Co-Op now for gas since they are the only one that carries Shell premium. And I also assume the same CC promo applies to all 3.

Truck gets gas at Superstore. 130 litre tank * 3 cents = $4 saved. No line up.

beyond_ban
01-22-2018, 01:29 PM
I refuse to wait in line. When i visit Costco i always check the lines at the pumps, and if there is no one there then i fill. Rarely does it happen, but i have had the best luck at the Costco by Cross Iron.

Xtrema
01-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Truck gets gas at Superstore. 130 litre tank * 3 cents = $4 saved. No line up.

Expense the gas, keep the coupon for your own grocery.

kenny
01-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Current price:

They don't shop for groceries at Superstore or Co-op so Costco gas is cheapest for them.

With that said, I still think people are crazy for waiting more than 5 mins for gas.

heavyD
01-22-2018, 04:07 PM
If I'm at Beacon hill in my wife's car and it needs gas I will drive by and if the lineups are only a few cars long I may go to fill up but if there are long lines not a chance. I have better things to do with my time than waste time in line to save a couple of bucks. That shit is for poor people that need to save every nickel and dime and money hoarders that don't realize you can't take money with you to the afterlife.

Xtrema
01-22-2018, 04:11 PM
They don't shop for groceries at Superstore or Co-op so Costco gas is cheapest for them.

With that said, I still think people are crazy for waiting more than 5 mins for gas.

There is no way in hell I will get grocery at Costco either other than may be weekday 9-11am.

94boosted
01-22-2018, 05:50 PM
Does Supertsore or Coop have Top Tier gas though? I remember reading on beyond somewhere that Costco and Shell (and Esso?) are the only places that have Top Tier fuel?

So if you compare it to Shell the savings add up. Over the weekend I think Costco was 104.9 Reg and 114.9 Prem and Shell was 112.9 Reg and ~125.9 Prem? For my truck that's a $6.40 savings and for the other cars that take premium it's a ~$7 savings ($300+/yr for all vehihcles), I drive by the South one fairly often and will fill up if the lineup is 5-10mins, any longer and I don't bother.

Tik-Tok
01-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Does Supertsore or Coop have Top Tier gas though? I remember reading on beyond somewhere that Costco and Shell (and Esso?) are the only places that have Top Tier fuel?

If you believe the marketing hype... http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Co-Op is on the list, Superstore is not.

dirtsniffer
01-22-2018, 06:08 PM
When I was in Maui it was like 50-70c a gallon cheaper at Costco.

94boosted
01-22-2018, 06:10 PM

Haven't really found anything definitive calling it a hype but there are tests that say it's not a hype:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-the-extra-price/ar-BBu3VVZ

speedog
01-22-2018, 06:15 PM
Yeah it's the same thing as people driving across the city cause they heard on the radio there's cheap gas. Waste $5 of gas to save $2 :nut:

I never pay attention to gas prices cause if you need gas you need it, it's not like you are going wait a week for the price to drop. I hate getting gas at Beacon Hill Costco but wife always tells me to get it there. I like gassing up at the coop by my house cause it's close and has a car was.

So when did you stop wearing pants?

J-hop
01-22-2018, 06:31 PM

Oh god I love bmw drivers that buy into the shell v-power nitrogen enriched bullshido.

I actually had a bmw driver tell me that v-power was the only gas approved for his m3......

adam c
01-22-2018, 07:30 PM
If I'm at Costco and the line ups aren't bad I'll get gas, otherwise I go to Esso or Superstore, usually Esso as I have the speedpass for both our vehicles which makes it so much easier, especially after getting my card skimmed at a shell

qualthar
01-22-2018, 07:39 PM
I fill up at Costco on Sat or Sun mornings. Gas bar is open at 8 and there aren't any lineups until the warehouse opens at 9:30 (sat) or 10:00 (sun). I've never waited more than 1 minute to pull up to a pump. The catch is you gotta be an early riser to snag this deal. Nobody in their right mind is gonna fill up at 2pm on a weekend ><

schocker
01-22-2018, 07:42 PM
I go in the morning before work/weekend morning when they open or weeknights after 9. Never an issue, and when you are getting premium, the savings are much higher.

ShermanEF9
01-22-2018, 08:59 PM
I try to go to costco when its not busy. its worth the 10 bucks savings (damn 136L tank)

relyt92
01-22-2018, 09:05 PM
I go in the morning before work/weekend morning when they open or weeknights after 9. Never an issue, and when you are getting premium, the savings are much higher.
I do it for the premium savings too. Saves ~$6 per fill up once a week. I get there around 5:15 after work and never have much of a wait.

dino_martini
01-22-2018, 09:40 PM
I will either go to the Crossiron Mills location or Deerfoot Meadows. Its usually not too bad of a wait around 3:30pm. I cant imagine what the lineups are like on Saturdays. I avoid costco like the plague on weeknds.

schocker
01-22-2018, 09:57 PM
I do it for the premium savings too. Saves ~$6 per fill up once a week. I get there around 5:15 after work and never have much of a wait.
Yup. Currently 14.5c less than shell or 22.5c less than petro can so the savings are significant.

ianmcc
01-23-2018, 06:22 AM
Never waited more than 15 minutes in a Costco lineup. During the big cold snap we had I was able to drive straight to a pump.
And you have to watch the spread between the advertised price which is regular vs. premium. The spread at Costco is 10¢ whereas the COOP at Heritage Meadows is 19¢. On a 65L fill that's almost $6-more than enough to get the double meat at Subway.

J-hop
01-23-2018, 07:30 AM
Man beyond is getting boring, onto the 3rd page and not a single junior high chemistry failure has shown up to claim Costco blends their gas with water :rofl:

Maxt
01-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Current price:

Expense the gas, keep the coupon for your own grocery.
With Coop fuel prices and their food prices often being higher, that's the only time that rebate system actually pays. Coop has their own refinery, if anything Shell might be coming from Coop.

Yup. Currently 14.5c less than shell or 22.5c less than petro can so the savings are significant.

Never waited more than 15 minutes in a Costco lineup. During the big cold snap we had I was able to drive straight to a pump.
And you have to watch the spread between the advertised price which is regular vs. premium. The spread at Costco is 10¢ whereas the COOP at Heritage Meadows is 19¢. On a 65L fill that's almost $6-more than enough to get the double meat at Subway.
At the Okotoks Costco, the wait is never terrible, I don't think I've waited more than 5 minutes tops there, ever... Also with the premium spread, Costco is usually the first to lower their fuel prices when it drops. Okotoks stations like to hang on to the higher price as long as they can, which means the Costco-Everyone else premium spread sometimes is huge. I've seen it at 25 cents a few times, so when filling up the Srt-10 ram, means significant savings..
Also for the Jerry can argument it depends if you paid for the Jerry cans or not, my old boss gave me 6-5 gallons cans for free, so I don't ever have to weigh that into the equation. I don't Jerry can that much though, usually only if I am going into BC. Just before Xmas, BC diesel was 30 cents higher than ours, I went in and out without buying any fuel there and actually didn't jerry can it, the 1 ton eaked out 940 km's on its Alberta fill. Some people have huge auxiliary tanks in their trucks as well, and thats when 5 cents per litre starts to mean something.

Aleks
01-23-2018, 09:15 AM
I used to go to the Deerfoot meadows one just before close when I had my Tundra. Typically you could pull up and pump right away as there were no lines that late in the evening. Usually saved $8-10 per fill up.

The premium to regular spread is always 10c at Costco, whereas at Shell it's 20c.

Xtrema
01-23-2018, 09:26 AM
With Coop fuel prices and their food prices often being higher, that's the only time that rebate system actually pays. Coop has their own refinery, if anything Shell might be coming from Coop.

http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/PetroSpecs-GASOLINE.pdf

Regardless where they got it from, it's the only premium in town without ethanol besides Shell. But premium is 18-20c more than regular so Costco is cheaper. And when I first switch away from Shell to Co-Op, I see 0 difference in gas mileage and been sticking with them ever since since it's on my way home.

And since I do spend some $ at Co-Op bakery time to time and prefer it for quick grabs than our shithole Superstore, I have no problem spending the coupons.

HiTempguy1
01-23-2018, 12:03 PM
I did not know that about Costco premium (the 10c spread). I could reasonably afford a vehicle running premium this summer... 10% increase in cost acceptable. 20%+? No way!

Maxt
01-23-2018, 03:33 PM
http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/PetroSpecs-GASOLINE.pdf

Regardless where they got it from, it's the only premium in town without ethanol besides Shell. But premium is 18-20c more than regular so Costco is cheaper. And when I first switch away from Shell to Co-Op, I see 0 difference in gas mileage and been sticking with them ever since since it's on my way home.

And since I do spend some $ at Co-Op bakery time to time and prefer it for quick grabs than our shithole Superstore, I have no problem spending the coupons.

The coupons for me basically shuffles around my own money.
The manager of a Centrex told me that their premium is also ethanol free.

403civic
01-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Back when I worked down south, I would gas up at 8:30-8:45am and there was almost never a wait
now since that i work north and live north - I go to the one in cross-iron; go near the end of closing, Gas up once i'm done shopping - never a line up

the trick is to go when the store isn't open
hour before opening or hour after closing; that's the sweet spot

and since I'm filling up premium its essentially getting 91 octane for the price of regular

Nismorphed
01-23-2018, 07:41 PM
I have maybe filled up at costco once or twice in my life. Both times I was in the area and line wasnt bad. Most times I fill at Superstore and never have to wait.

tehwegz
01-24-2018, 10:58 PM
I'll never wait in a Costco gas line. I found a few Esso's that will only be 3-5 cents more than Costco. Plus I have 2.5 cents off Esso gas cards from work to use. And I collect a bunch of points for gas (1-2x Esso points + 4x AMEX reward points).

Costco is something I don't need in my life, at least not right now and the foreseeable future. They treat both their customers and employees like crap. It always has a pretentious vibe in there. Parking lots and line ups inside are a nightmare overall. On a side note, I occasionally go with a friend who will go a half hour before closing. It really is the best time to go.

swak
01-24-2018, 11:33 PM
It boils my blood to even drive my own car around those parking lots in/around the grocery store. Let alone the gas islands... gawd.
I can't imagine what it's like for the truckers delivering fuel to the costco's for retail consumption. Their blood must be through the roof trying to drive a semi through the costco parking lot lol

J-hop
01-25-2018, 12:49 AM
I'll never wait in a Costco gas line. I found a few Esso's that will only be 3-5 cents more than Costco. Plus I have 2.5 cents off Esso gas cards from work to use. And I collect a bunch of points for gas (1-2x Esso points + 4x AMEX reward points).

Costco is something I don't need in my life, at least not right now and the foreseeable future. They treat both their customers and employees like crap. It always has a pretentious vibe in there. Parking lots and line ups inside are a nightmare overall. On a side note, I occasionally go with a friend who will go a half hour before closing. It really is the best time to go.

It’s funny you get the pretentious vibe. I get the exact opposite. With the food court mixed with the lineups of sweatpants wearing folk at the free sample stations I’ve never felt the pretentious vibe. I love it, I walk in, see some guy scarfing down a hot dog, the door person hands me a flyer printed on the thinnest paper known to man and I see the lineups in front of the food stations and I think ‘these are my people’ :D

LadyLuck
01-25-2018, 09:26 AM
East hills on the way to work in the mornings with no line ups, never had to wait for more than 5 minutes to fill up gas at Costco...plus I take premium so the savings definitely add up.

Masked Bandit
01-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Like MaxT said, Okotoks isn't all that busy. I go weeknights when we're going to the store anyway and if there's more than one car ahead of me I just fill after we're done shopping and it's empty. Lower pump price plus the kick-back at the end of the year on the membership rewards.

Seth1968
01-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Costco is something I don't need in my life, at least not right now and the foreseeable future.

I walked into a Costo once.

Once was enough.

freshprince1
01-25-2018, 11:26 AM
I fill up our truck (family car) at Costco almost exclusively. We live right beside one, so if the line is long, I just come back another time. Also, half the people fillings up don't realize that Costco has the extra long hoses (spring loaded on a retracting rope) so even if in my truck there are no open stalls on the gas tank side, they still reach to the other. There will be 3-4 cars waiting behind their tank side pump, when the opposite side is wide open. And with a 120L+ tank, I save $7-$10 per tank. Plus, I use the Costco Mastercard, so I get cash back on that too.

Glad to hear you all hate it so much. Stay away!

bjstare
01-25-2018, 11:59 AM

I think perhaps you are misusing the word "pretentious".

Strider
01-25-2018, 01:32 PM
They treat both their customers and employees like crap. It always has a pretentious vibe in there.

Not sure if this could be further from the truth...
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/reasons-love-costco_n_4275774
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-employees-love-working-for-costco-2013-11

I think perhaps you are misusing the word "pretentious".
:rofl: Perhaps pretentious to NE trailer park folks who exclusively shop at Walmart otherwise?

freshprince1
01-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Not sure if this could be further from the truth...
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/reasons-love-costco_n_4275774
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-employees-love-working-for-costco-2013-11

:rofl: Perhaps pretentious to NE trailer park folks who exclusively shop at Walmart otherwise?

Agreed. They have been shown time and again to provide employees great wages with great benefits. If you're working in retail/grocery, Costco is as good as it gets.

I freaking love Costco. The one I'm near is not overly busy. The employees are great (always taking the time to draw smiley faces on the receipt for my 4 year old...which she loves) and are more than helpful. Their return policy is hard to beat. Their products are great quality for the price you pay.

But again, I'm glad people are hating on it, stay away!

holden
01-25-2018, 04:45 PM

Wait, how did you come to this conclusion? I heard that employees at Costco are treated well with good benefits and reasonable hours (closes early and off on Holidays). If their return policy is a reflection on how they treat customers then I don't think any retail outlet treats their customers better. They take back anything, including half-eaten food. I know people who have returned a TV like a year later.

I love the size of the parking stalls, no need to worry about door dings. The only probably is how busy it is and that has more to do with Calgary. I've never been in a Costco in the US as busy as Heritage Meadows.