PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt vs Milwaukee tools

nagooro
01-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Looking to pick up my first combo drill set, torn between dewalt and milwaukee. It will be used mostly around the house for lighter jobs, not building much. Eventually I may add in a few other tools as well.

Dewalt
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.max-20v-li-ion-drillimpact-driver-combo-kit-with-2-batteries-and-charger.1000722649.html

Milwaukee (can get it for $160)
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m18-18v-li-ion-cordless-drill-and-impact-driver-combo-kit-2-piece.1000535182.html

Do you prefer one brand/ecosystem over the other?

Mitsu3000gt
01-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Owned both and have done lots of research on the matter - Milwaukee is better in my opinion and they use more metal. I am not a contractor though.

Also that looks like the older/shittier version of the Dewalt set that they have been selling for years and years rather than their higher end brushless set.

If you're just a home/casual user, I recommend the Ridgid drill/impact set. They are inexpensive, built just as well as DeWalt or any other, and lifetime free battery replacements is a pretty great perk.

jwslam
01-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Depends what your other tools you'll add are and the cordless batteries.

I started with Bosch and now I'm very limited as to what tools take these batteries. :cry:

If it's lighter duty, Ryobi has enough different tools to keep you going for a giant collection.

Also, in building for Habitat for Humanity I've noticed most of their tools are Makita. They must take a beating considering their daily use and how many newbies use these things.

Alterac
01-26-2018, 11:30 AM
ive used ridgid and dewalt for many years, and for around the house use, pick whatver one you like the look of :)

i had a cheaper ridgid $150 job and it lasted almost 10 years before the batteries died
ed on me.

i replaced it with a dewalt brushless set (hammer drill and impact) and its pretty much all metal and should last me for another 10-15.

benz_890
01-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Looking to pick up my first combo drill set, torn between dewalt and milwaukee. It will be used mostly around the house for lighter jobs, not building much. Eventually I may add in a few other tools as well.

Dewalt
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.max-20v-li-ion-drillimpact-driver-combo-kit-with-2-batteries-and-charger.1000722649.html

Milwaukee (can get it for $160)
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.m18-18v-li-ion-cordless-drill-and-impact-driver-combo-kit-2-piece.1000535182.html

Do you prefer one brand/ecosystem over the other?

Milwaukee > Dewalt

Is that Milwaukee on sale anywhere for $160?

phreezee
01-26-2018, 11:53 AM
Dewalt is owned by Black and Decker so I don't really put any thought into the brand.
Milwaukee is owned by Techtronic Industries, which also owns Ryobi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techtronic_Industries

Tools are starting to be like appliances where 2 or 3 companies make a bunch of different brands. Just a marketing game now.

mr2mike
01-26-2018, 12:04 PM
Show up at a job site with your Ryobi tool set. :facepalm:

I use Dewalt and Rigid.
I equate Ryobi with the same guys that buy everything Motormaster, uses an electric leaf blower and defines a renovation as painting or changing a light fixture in a room.

msommers
01-26-2018, 12:43 PM
For casual house stuff, who cares honestly. Buy whatever is in sale.

Makita is the cats ass if want real quality. Lots of guys use DeWalt daily so it's not as if it's garbage. I got a Craftsman drill for Christmas years ago and for house stuff it's been totally fine.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-26-2018, 01:10 PM

If you're just a home/casual user, I recommend the Ridgid drill/impact set. They are inexpensive, built just as well as DeWalt or any other, and lifetime free battery replacements is a pretty great perk.

Agreed, for handyman stuff, Ridgid is a great deal and the battery warranty can't be beat. I have a lot of Ridgid drills and other tools and not a single one has ever let me down.

sabad66
01-26-2018, 01:12 PM
If you're only doing light stuff Ryobi or any brand for that matter is fine. I picked up a 7 piece Ryobi set with 2 batteries and a bonus bluetooth radio for $170 on boxing day a few years ago... great value for the money.

Anything medium or heavy duty i'd say Milwaukee over Dewalt.

Tik-Tok
01-26-2018, 01:16 PM
Owned both and have done lots of research on the matter - Milwaukee is better in my opinion and they use more metal.

My problem with Milwaukee is that they kind of slid in quality since I started using them. My first cordless M12 I bought 12 years ago is awesome, damn near industructable. 5 years ago I bought one of those 2-packs (drill and impact) for home, and it's WAYYY cheaper in materials, you can feel the difference. There's no way it's lasting as long as my first one, yet they have the same part number.

spikerS
01-26-2018, 01:57 PM
I am solidly in the Ridgid camp. Can't beat lifetime warranty that also covers the batteries.

Having said that, I have owned all the major brands, and if it comes down to DeWalt or Milwaukee, You are pretty dense if you pick DeWalt if the dollar values are equal or even close.

s_havinga
01-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Coming from a guy who is deep into the M18 Milwaukee cordless tools, probably 8 different tools, I gotta say my brothers Dewalt impact way out performs my M18 Fuel impact.

I would consider what tools you might want in the future. Milwaukee always seems a little late to the party for the new tools things like drywall cut out tools and finishing / framing nailers took years to come out after dewalt released them.

Surprised there is so much hate for dewalt. I have never owned any of their stuff but I haven't heard complaints from the guys I know who use them

colinxx235
01-26-2018, 02:37 PM
^ +1

When I used to spend all my time on the construction sites there was so much Dewalt around. We used a good chunk in our office. But at the same time we also had those huge Milwuakee cordless sets as well (drill/impact/grinder/saw etc). No complaints with either. There was a Dewalt company drill that had been in the back office for 20+ years, aside from Battery dying, the drill itself still worked perfect. I preferred that they had more weight/felt sturdy. But Milwuakee is just fine.

Bosch makes the best saws/table equipment from what I used though.

danno
01-26-2018, 02:43 PM
My personal favorite is makita as I have had them for 10 years and everything still works. I ran de Walt before that and it was broken and dead batteries with a couple years.

At work we use Hilti for the most part but they are quite expensive, if it was up to me I’d run makita, Milwaukee isn’t bad to. I have a Milwaukee drill in for repairs as it fell 20’. See if it’s worth repairing... 1/2 drive impact drill.

Tik-Tok
01-26-2018, 03:06 PM
When I used to spend all my time on the construction sites there was so much Dewalt around.

You'll also see a ton of Snap-on in mechanic shops, but that doesn't mean it's the best brand for every job.

brandon
01-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Honestly, if you’re comparing a “milwuakee m18 impact/drill vs the dewalt xr20” it’s the same thing, you won’t notice any differences, it’s just brand preference at that level. I’m a contractor who uses an impact and drill all day every day, you will see the best results are in the pro lines (milwuakee fuel vs dewalt xrp) my preference is for the milwuakee fuel, and my recommendation to you is to save your money and look for a sale on the milwuakee fuel m12 impact and drill combo, the fuel m12 will out perform a generic m18 any day.

G-ZUS
01-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Honestly, if you’re comparing a “milwuakee m18 impact/drill vs the dewalt xr20” it’s the same thing, you won’t notice any differences, it’s just brand preference at that level. I’m a contractor who uses an impact and drill all day every day, you will see the best results are in the pro lines (milwuakee fuel vs dewalt xrp) my preference is for the milwuakee fuel, and my recommendation to you is to save your money and look for a sale on the milwuakee fuel m12 impact and drill combo, the fuel m12 will out perform a generic m18 any day.

where do you usually find the pro lines? Home Depot etc?

Tik-Tok
01-26-2018, 03:28 PM
where do you usually find the pro lines? Home Depot etc?

HD has some, but KMS Tools, and Bolt Supply House, and Fastenal has pretty much the full line-up

spikerS
01-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Surprised there is so much hate for dewalt. I have never owned any of their stuff but I haven't heard complaints from the guys I know who use them

I don't have hate for Dewalt, they are fine, nothing wrong with them, but most of the line they have in homedepot / rona are not suited for heavy use that contractors put them through. They used to be for sure, but, not really any more as they have shifted a lot of their products away from job sites to the DIYers at home. They work fine for the regular joe, but just don't hold up outside of that scenario.

freshprince1
01-26-2018, 04:56 PM
Just picked up a new set of Dewalts from Home Depot, the 20v drill and impact drill. My previous set was stolen. I use them around the house and in the yard. Currently using them extensively in developing my basement. I love them. The batteries last long. The impact drill is so light and powerful, it's all i ever use, especially with all the fast swap bits. I can switch between my drywall bit, socket bit for the self tapping screws for HVAC stuff, and a regular Robertson for outlets and screws, in seconds. No complaints.

I decided that since it was using it for residential projects, the added premium of the Milwakee's wasn't worth it. I do not regret getting the Dewalts.

Darell_n
01-26-2018, 07:01 PM
My problem with Milwaukee is that they kind of slid in quality since I started using them. My first cordless M12 I bought 12 years ago is awesome, damn near industructable. 5 years ago I bought one of those 2-packs (drill and impact) for home, and it's WAYYY cheaper in materials, you can feel the difference. There's no way it's lasting as long as my first one, yet they have the same part number.

I’m hardcore Milwaukee for 20 years. They have 3 levels of quality for their tools. The on-sale multipack found at big hardware stores are typically the home jobber quality. The Fuel line of tools are absolute beasts. Each level adds $75-100 from the lower quality level below it.

The_Rural_Juror
01-26-2018, 09:04 PM
I still own both lineups. Neither of them are perfect but I found myself switching out my DeWalt in favour of Milwaukee. The top of the line M18 are "absolute beasts", especially their impact, but I find their M12 to be adequate for most home applications. I think they have better warranty and better selection for plumbing tools.

Ridgid is good for their battery policy. Really like the Bosch and DeWalt saws. Makita is good but the range of tools isn't as broad as DeWalt or Milwaukee.

You don't really need a drill for small home applications. You can get drill bits that will fit in a small impact. Much more convenient.

If you insist on a drill. I can part out my Milwaukee M12 drill that I purchased as a set and never used.

Sugarphreak
01-26-2018, 09:30 PM

blitz
01-26-2018, 09:51 PM
Festool or nothing :poosie:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Festool/page.aspx?p=67981&cat=5,105,68326

speedog
01-26-2018, 10:18 PM

As someone who uses powered hand tools every day on the job site, I'm in the Dewalt Camp - the high end stuff including their top of the line compound miter saw plus a second, smaller Dewalt miter saw as well. Table saw is a Bosch, miter saw stand is a Bosch. As far as battery powered stuff for around the house, you won't need the higher end stuff - if money isn't an issue then do whatever.

As for brands, on the job sites I frequent the work requiring more grunt out of a battery powered tool - well, chances are it'll be Milwaukee. Otherwise, it's a mix of Dewalt, Makita or Bosch with Ridgid for heavier plumbing stuff although I use a Ridgid 23ga pin nailer - one of the smallest out there. For myself, the feel of the tool at in my hand is very important as it's something I'm constantly using - Dewalt drivers and drills just felt best in my hand.

So get what you feel best suits your needs, keep in mind the available range of tools for a particular brand as that could very well be something that might be advantageous in the future. One thing too many people fall for is getting larger batteries - while larger batterie give you more up time, it is also extra weight you're carrying around and your wrists will notice the difference over a day's worth of use. I run puny 2 amp/hour batteries but have enough that I can always have one on the charger - people who borrow my drill or driver always comment on how light they are which is pretty much the difference of a large versus small battery. Go brushless if you can as my drill and driver are both brushless and often last a whole day on a fully charged 2 amp/hour battery - brushless is amazing in how much less battery they use.

speedog
01-26-2018, 10:21 PM
HD has some, but KMS Tools, and Bolt Supply House, and Fastenal has pretty much the full line-up

KMS - such an evil, evil place.

On a side note, I commented to get what best suits your needs - on many job sites, portable compressors are like a penis compensation thing. So many trades people will huff around the biggest, baddest air compressor they can and I used to haul around a brute as well. But then I started paying attention to my real requirements and got myself a very small California Airtools compressor that only weighs 35 pounds but best of all - only 60dB when running. It easily runs my 23, 18 and 16 gauge nailers as well as my stapler and I've had zero problems with it - some people will kind of laugh at it and then realize it's running while they're talking to me. Buy to suit your needs - I did not need a huge ass compressor and because it is often in the same room as I am, noise is an issue as well and the low weight, well so easy to pick up and wander off to another floor to fix something.

nagooro
01-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Milwaukee > Dewalt

Is that Milwaukee on sale anywhere for $160?
I picked it up during black Friday for $155+tax, but just been sitting on it as I wasn't sure which brand I wanted to go with.

Thanks for all the input everyone, will likely keep this one as I got it for a decent price. Milwaukee owns me now.

botox
01-29-2018, 09:01 AM
^^ You won't be disappointed with Milwakuee. Ever since I picked up the M12 fuel driver about 2 years ago, my 18v LXT makita set has been untouched collecting dust. 18v is more powerful, but it's really not needed for home applications. The only thing I don't like about the M12 driver is that it can't easily stand up and has the be layed down but you can get the larger capacity battery that fixes that issue.