PDA

View Full Version : E85 in Calgary at the Gas Station!

Silviawannab
01-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Hubby was pretty excited. Ran right over and got a sample today.

It's at least e87

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1622501507839952&id=103396149750503

Gestalt
01-27-2018, 04:44 PM
Hubby was pretty excited. Ran right over and got a sample today.

It's at least e87

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1622501507839952&id=103396149750503

Very nice!

spikerS
01-27-2018, 04:54 PM
I am not really familiar with E85, other than the fuel filler on my truck says not to use it. But I am still curious, what is the excitement over? coles notes?

Gestalt
01-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Cheap race gas engine runs cooler

Shlade
01-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Cheap race gas engine runs cooler

And POWAAAAA!!!

My_name_is_Rob
01-27-2018, 05:15 PM
That's pretty cool! I wonder if it'll stick around for a while.

never
01-27-2018, 05:40 PM
That's pretty cool! I wonder if it'll stick around for a while.

Hopefully at least until the summer when it’ll actually get used a lot more. It’ll be nice for when in the area but I’ll still have to get drums of E98.

RickDaTuner
01-27-2018, 06:38 PM
$1.10/L seems really pricey considering what it sells for down south.

Tik-Tok
01-27-2018, 06:50 PM
$1.10/L seems really pricey considering what it sells for down south.

I wonder how many idiots are going to fill up their non-compatible cars with E85 for the lower price?

RickDaTuner
01-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Yep, lots of leaking fuel lines and destroyed fuel pumps are incoming, that’s if they don’t melt their exhaust valves, or blow their engines first. lol

I might do a conversion for my car, hopefully it’ll last into the summer

Darkane
01-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Nice! My truck will now be 380hp and 413tq with the factory tune.

5.3 Chevrolet.

+25/30

Maxt
01-27-2018, 08:22 PM
Its too expensive at that price, is it being grouped as a gasoline in that it has carbon tax on it? It only has roughly 60% of the Btu content of gasoline as well, so that pricing doesn't really make a lot of sense..

Silviawannab
01-27-2018, 08:32 PM
Its too expensive at that price, is it being grouped as a gasoline in that it has carbon tax on it? It only has roughly 60% of the Btu content of gasoline as well, so that pricing doesn't really make a lot of sense..
That's very cheap for race gas. We just got back from Vegas and its only 5 cent a litre cheaper than regular and tested e72.

People around here were buying it for $1.9 a litre before this.

My_name_is_Rob
01-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Hopefully at least until the summer when it’ll actually get used a lot more. It’ll be nice for when in the area but I’ll still have to get drums of E98.

Yea, it seems strange to bring it around in the winter, but maybe they expect to sell a lot of it to sledders or something. I'm not sure it'll be worth having a specific E85 tune, if it's only available at that one station.

Silviawannab
01-27-2018, 09:25 PM
Yea, it seems strange to bring it around in the winter, but maybe they expect to sell a lot of it to sledders or something. I'm not sure it'll be worth having a specific E85 tune, if it's only available at that one station.

Flex fuel sensor ftw. Our Silvia is defiantly switching from race gas to flex fuel this year.

never
01-27-2018, 11:01 PM

As Nadine said, flex sensor FTW...then who cares about the tune!

Maxt
01-28-2018, 03:11 AM
That's very cheap for race gas. We just got back from Vegas and its only 5 cent a litre cheaper than regular and tested e72.

People around here were buying it for $1.9 a litre before this.

I can buy methanol for a lot less...besides the purpose of it at the pump is not because of its octane rating, it's suppose to be an environmental choice, and at that price, I don't think the environmental buy in will be there, just the performance buy in which is actually kind of funny.

RealJimmyJames
01-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Does this give me more horsepower than the DC shoes sticker in the back window of my pickup?

Seth1968
01-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Does this give me more horsepower than the DC shoes sticker in the back window of my pickup?

No, but truck nuts will. They also mean you're gay.

J-hop
01-28-2018, 09:48 AM

People have to stop calling it race fuel.....

It’s just regular old flex fuel and the primary focus is everyday flex fuel vehicles, it’s not being marketed towards the minuscule customer base with high performance applications that will use it as race fuel.

Because racecar

Gestalt
01-28-2018, 10:14 AM
People have to stop calling it race fuel.....

It’s just regular old flex fuel and the primary focus is everyday flex fuel vehicles, it’s not being marketed towards the minuscule customer base with high performance applications that will use it as race fuel.

Because racecar

Not in this caae. It's one single samll independant statio that also sell souvlaki offering e87 mid winter. That wont even come clise to startingb at -20 in your flex fuel vehicle.

They are quite obviously auto enthusiast.

AndyL
01-28-2018, 11:38 AM
I'm more excited about the Greek at that station...

Mmmmm souvlaki

94boosted
01-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Nice! My truck will now be 380hp and 413tq with the factory tune.

5.3 Chevrolet.

+25/30

Me too can't wait to try a tankfull, curious to see how bad fuel consumption will be.

J-hop
01-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Not in this caae. It's one single samll independant statio that also sell souvlaki offering e87 mid winter. That wont even come clise to startingb at -20 in your flex fuel vehicle.

They are quite obviously auto enthusiast.

Could be right but think about it, how many people in Calgary actively search out race fuels? Maybe 200? How many of those already have a fuel source at a similar price? How many of those don’t have street legal cars that would benefit from a physical pump? How come zero pre- marketing and zero post install marketing was done to any local car clubs?

For the expense of adding a tank and pump or potential lost sales from sacrificing a pump and tank (longer the lines the more customers pass you by) they can’t expect a group of a couple hundred enthusiasts to recover the capex/lost sales many of which won’t even switch to that station as a source. If it is a car enthusiast they are no doubt intelligent enough to know they have to rely mostly on flex fuel customers to float the enthusiast side of things. There are over 1000 gas stations in the US that have e85. It’s a regular consumer fuel that also has good properties as a race fuel. But calling it race fuel is misleading to the layman and sounds kinda silly

Silviawannab
01-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Could be right but think about it, how many people in Calgary actively search out race fuels? Maybe 200? How many of those already have a fuel source at a similar price? How many of those don’t have street legal cars that would benefit from a physical pump? How come zero pre- marketing and zero post install marketing was done to any local car clubs?

For the expense of adding a tank and pump or potential lost sales from sacrificing a pump and tank (longer the lines the more customers pass you by) they can’t expect a group of a couple hundred enthusiasts to recover the capex/lost sales many of which won’t even switch to that station as a source. If it is a car enthusiast they are no doubt intelligent enough to know they have to rely mostly on flex fuel customers to float the enthusiast side of things. There are over 1000 gas stations in the US that have e85. It’s a regular consumer fuel that also has good properties as a race fuel. But calling it race fuel is misleading to the layman and sounds kinda silly

What was holding people back was availability. There was none except a a few guys bringing small quantities from the US, and a few selling it at $2 a litre or from VP c85 for double that.

Everyone we know with a modified turbo vehicle is now interested in switching. Ecu that can read a flexfuel sensor is all you need to run any blend (and maybe fuel system upgrades, depending what you have).

It makes more power than race fuel at 1\3 the price of q16 that we ran adjusted for volume and not nearly as toxic as lead and the other carcinogens in it. So since we are now on a laypersons forum, we'll stop calling it race fuel as not to confuse you.

J-hop
01-28-2018, 02:53 PM
haha, no doesn’t confuse me. Just kinda funny calling it race fuel when a dodge caravan was designed specifically with e85 in mind. Makes it sound like it’s applications are limited when in reality by 2014 there were almost 20 million US soccer Mom and dads driving vehicles designed to run it and it’s been a general consumer fuel for quite a while now.

I’m not arguing it’s application in high power turbo cars etc. But I think people are reading too much into it. If it was some auto enthusiast who owns a station it is extremely odd not a single peep in the auto enthusiast world until the sign went up and a passerby posted it.

toastgremlin
01-30-2018, 10:29 PM
E85 and Greek food, together at last.

The Cosworth
08-22-2020, 07:32 AM
Any new e85 in Calgary? Quick google search and this is still one of the top threads. My truck takes it and I've been wanting to try it.

Tik-Tok
08-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Any new e85 in Calgary? Quick google search and this is still one of the top threads. My truck takes it and I've been wanting to try it.

There's another thread recently. Theres two locations wigh e85, one in the NEand one in the deep south.

Edit: nevermind, that was about Chevron 94