PDA

View Full Version : Solo: A Star Wars Story

D'z Nutz
02-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Holy shit, this looks a lot better than I expected.

9Szts88zY4o

Xtrema
02-04-2018, 09:47 PM
I got a bad feeling about this.

Still

BokCh0y
02-04-2018, 11:27 PM
Feeling better knowing it's Ron Howard instead of Rian Johnson.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-04-2018, 11:49 PM
Visuals looks awesome, but I think I said that about TLJ, too.

HiTempguy1
02-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Holy shit, this looks a lot better than I expected.

Your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad.

NoSup4U
02-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Imax will still get my $20....and i'm sure it won't be the worst movie

Really surprised they are breaking away from the December release, is there something huge slated already?

BigMass
02-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Looks like it could be better as a stand alone story in the SW universe without any reference to original characters. Starting to get Chewbacca and Millennium falcon fatigue... Because they appear in the movies following this one they're basically invincible characters, making it impossible to create tension. Donald Glover will probably be the stand out as Lando.

D'z Nutz
02-05-2018, 06:01 PM
And now I'm back to being skeptical about it.

dNW0B0HsvVs

Tik-Tok
02-05-2018, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=D'z Nutz;4711237]And now I'm back to being skeptical about it.

I think it'll be exactly the same as TLD. Entertaining, and eye candy, but a terrible addition to the Star Wars Universe.

mr2mike
02-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Really surprised they are breaking away from the December release, is there something huge slated already?
Yeah, probably Disney earning season. Haha.
They're going to milk this franchise so bad and leave it for dead.
Lando spin off next?

MalibuStacy
02-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Donald Glover will be exactly what we want for Lando!

But otherwise I feel like this will be meh. I just cannot attach to whats his name as Han.

Tik-Tok
02-06-2018, 09:18 AM
Donald Glover will be exactly what we want for Lando!

But otherwise I feel like this will be meh. I just cannot attach to whats his name as Han.

He looks like a young Benicio del toro

Xtrema
02-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Han is Harrison Ford.

For what's shown in the full trailer, this dude didn't pull it off.

I'm ok with Rouge One but I draw the line when they start to retcon iconic characters.

mr2mike
02-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Han is Harrison Ford. For what's shown in the full trailer, this dude didn't pull it off.

SHould have used this Han, then fit both these francises together.

D'z Nutz
04-09-2018, 09:27 PM
This trailer looks better than the last, but I'm still meh about it. It couldn't be worse than The Last Jedi though (I hope).

jPEYpryMp2s

EnRichii
04-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Visuals look great. But the movie will be bad, maybe not bad, but not great. I'll wait till it comes to TV.

Their just gonna milk StarWars to death

heres one for Kenobi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22cdBDK-8hk

mr2mike
04-10-2018, 07:45 AM
"Solo: A Star Wars Story" Basically explains how I go see most of these new releases.

JRSC00LUDE
04-10-2018, 08:00 AM
There's nothing less exciting to me than a new Star Wars movie, way to ruin something good.

Tik-Tok
04-10-2018, 09:33 AM
There's nothing less exciting to me than a new Star Wars movie, way to ruin something good.

You're just a hater. The new films are obviously the best films evar! - The internet

lilmira
04-10-2018, 10:27 AM
I hope they redo holiday special. I challenge them to screw that up. Nevermind, they probably can outdo the original.

JustinL
04-10-2018, 02:39 PM
I really like Lawrence Kasdan as a writer and Ron Howard as director, so I'd give this movie decent odds of being pretty good.

benyl
04-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Their just gonna milk StarWars to death

It's the Disney Machine. Look at the Marvel Universe.

colinxx235
04-10-2018, 03:10 PM
It's the Disney Machine. Look at the Marvel Universe.

except Marvel has actually been good... Thor 3 was amazing, and we'll know in a few weeks what Infinity Wars delivers. Aside from Fantastic Four/Watch Men/Spider man 3 most of Marvel has been pretty good (maybe toss X-men Apocalypse in that pile)

Star Wars has been so bad and so many holes/poor character development. Rogue One was just a trash filler movie. Last Jedi fell pretty flat and just inconsistent.
I'm a big fan of Star Wars but i'll opt for once it hits TV on this one. Might do the same to Star Wars 9 given how 8 was.

JustinL
04-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Aside from Fantastic Four/Watch Men/Spider man 3 most of Marvel has been pretty good (maybe toss X-men Apocalypse in that pile)

And even then, those properties are all outside of the Disney machine... for now.

taemo
04-10-2018, 08:12 PM
I'm not going to watch this at the theater either, shame as Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke are on this but the actor they selected as Han Solo IMO does not fit well.
I hope I'm proven wrong.

tonytiger55
04-10-2018, 09:56 PM
I'm not going to watch this at the theater either, shame as Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke are on this but the actor they selected as Han Solo IMO does not fit well.
I hope I'm proven wrong.

I always thought Chris Pratt should have been chosen as Solo.. Or even Indiana Jones Reboot.

Xtrema
04-11-2018, 09:01 AM
I always thought Chris Pratt should have been chosen as Solo.. Or even Indiana Jones Reboot.

With Guardians and Jurassic franchises, he can probably milk those for quite a while.

except Marvel has actually been good... Thor 3 was amazing, and we'll know in a few weeks what Infinity Wars delivers. Aside from Fantastic Four/Watch Men/Spider man 3 most of Marvel has been pretty good (maybe toss X-men Apocalypse in that pile)

Before Feige took over, Thor 2, Ironman 2 are all stinkers.

Avengers 2 and IMO Dr Strange are also meh.

Russo Bros and James Gunn saved the MCU.

cycosis
06-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Just got out of the theatre. Pleasantly surprised by this one. Found it enjoyable all the way through as a fun popcorn flick. Acting seemed decent. Effects were on point. The only complaint I’ll log is that this is the third time we’ve had some poorly cgi tentacle monster.(1st being on solo’s freighter in episode 7, 2nd being “boogalook” in rogue one) I think it’s time they give that up. All in all I’d rate it just as good as rogue one. Solid 8/10 for me and miles ahead of episode 7 or 8.

killramos
06-04-2018, 07:42 AM
Movie was great, really enjoyed it. A little cheese but I found it well placed and entertaining.

kertejud2
06-04-2018, 09:08 AM

Chris Pratt is already older than Harrison Ford was when he filmed Star Wars, making him an odd choice to play a young Han Solo.

Xtrema
06-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Fan backlash and bad press sunk this one.

Interestingly, this seems to put the Disney/Fox deal is danger since news of Solo major boxoffice issue is sinking Disney stock which is what they are using for the Fox deal. Now sounds like Disney has to throw in some cash to sweeten the pot or Fox may go with Comcast.

cycosis
06-04-2018, 12:27 PM
^Id agree more so with the fan backlash for the piece of shit that was episode 8. Many comments on FB specifying boycott. Interesting how I havnt come across this theme in any media covers of the movie's financial results.

Not gonna lie, I think the new Han actor did a great job and I want to see more about this story line but I don't think we will see a sequel :(

killramos
06-04-2018, 12:29 PM
So wait, what was wrong with the movie?

Xtrema
06-04-2018, 01:11 PM
So wait, what was wrong with the movie?

Nothing wrong. Just hardcore fanboys is having a hissy fit and did not come out for this because of Last Jedi and what they think is a botched Solo movie and trying to prove a point.

Also, Disney also fucked up by placing the movie in May instead of Dec trying to see if they can do 2 Star Wars movies a year (like Marvel which is 3 this year). If they move Solo to Dec, the numbers may be better but Disney decided to protect Mary Poppins instead for Christmas holiday season.

Disney is also shaken a bit because of reshoot, they threw in almost $300M for Solo and may not even get 1/2 of that back. On top, new Star Wars theme parks at both coasts requires keeping the fans happy or there will be more consequences down the road.

cycosis
06-04-2018, 02:47 PM
I think its a shame because I really really enjoyed the flick. I do recommend it if you want a fun date night. Really happy with how they introduced chewie too.

taemo
06-04-2018, 03:28 PM
heard it is a good flick but Im not in a rush to watch it at the theater and will just wait once it's out for streaming.
Dead Pool 2 on the other hand was worth it.

HiTempguy1
06-04-2018, 04:07 PM
What did they think would happen? Two films in any single story universe regardless of the franchise is seriously overboard in a single year. And while Han Solo is a great character, I don't think he has quite the cult following necessary to matter. Even if he did, it still isn't big enough to justify expecting Star Wars like revenue. Boba Fett would draw more IMO.

And not just in a single year, but so close together. Lawl, how greedy do you have to be??

cycosis
06-04-2018, 04:42 PM
I dunno. If they could pump out films of that quality routinely, give me 3 Star Wars flicks a year and I’m happy :). The formula has worked for marvel when its quality content, why not another franchise?

timdog
06-05-2018, 09:36 AM
I thought the movie was ultra-cheesy but still decent. The actor who played Han was really good. some of the monsters were lame as hell and really over the top. The best character/actor hands down was Lando aka Donald Glover. he did a great job. that must have been a fun role to play. the incessant reference to parsecs and the kessel run was just too much though. felt forced. Woody Harrelson was pretty good too. all in all I'd say the script was shit, but the 3 or 4 main actors saved it.

JRSC00LUDE
06-05-2018, 10:41 AM
No one has gone to the theater expecting a good Star Wars movie since 1983 so, I'm sure it was fine.

Chiggles
06-05-2018, 05:33 PM
heard it is a good flick but Im not in a rush to watch it at the theater and will just wait once it's out for streaming.
Dead Pool 2 on the other hand was worth it.

^^ This. The hardcore butthurt Star Wars fans backlash is one thing, but that's just being amplified by what I believe is the root of the underwhelming response at the box office: it has more to do with the crappy timing of its release date. Going up against Infinity War and Deadpool 2 while they're still relatively fresh in theatres and in demand for re-watching by many means this spin off was never positioned to do well even before it got released. They should've waited for a different date when there were less monster-sized blockbusters to compete with it.

statick
06-05-2018, 06:50 PM
I consider myself a fairly true die-hard fan (grew up playing the collectable card game, read many of the comics & books from the Legends universe, etc.) and I think this is film is quite good. It is certainly not as decent as The Force Awakens, and definitely does not compete with Rogue One, but is better than The Last Jedi.

Then again, I also enjoy Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, when taken as a whole, more than Temple of Doom...

kertejud2
06-05-2018, 10:40 PM
No one has gone to the theater expecting a good Star Wars movie since 1983 so, I'm sure it was fine.

People didn't expect Return of the Jedi to be good?

They certainly expected The Phantom Menace to be good and they definitely expected The Force Awakens to be good with Lucas out of the picture.

JordanEG6
06-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Fan backlash and bad press sunk this one.

Interestingly, this seems to put the Disney/Fox deal is danger since news of Solo major boxoffice issue is sinking Disney stock which is what they are using for the Fox deal. Now sounds like Disney has to throw in some cash to sweeten the pot or Fox may go with Comcast.

I thought the Fox deal was done?

JRSC00LUDE
06-07-2018, 09:41 AM
People didn't expect Return of the Jedi to be good?

They certainly expected The Phantom Menace to be good and they definitely expected The Force Awakens to be good with Lucas out of the picture.

Of course they did, that's why I said 1983.

The rest, we agree to disagree! I think they HOPED it would be good, who wouldn't? But expectations, I had none.

Xtrema
06-07-2018, 10:20 AM
I thought the Fox deal was done?

Closes in summer 2019. Still plenty of time to be derailed by either government or external forces.

http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-fox-deal-comcast/

Comcast want to use $60B cash vs Disney's $52B stock which thanks to Solo proving Star Wars is weak, worth a lot less today and potentially going forward.

Let's put it this way, there is 0 confidence of any business deal in US right now. All it takes one bad skit/joke from Kimmel on Trump and Trump will kill this deal to retaliate.

dino_martini
06-10-2018, 11:20 AM
I went to see Solo on Tuesday and from reading the reviews went in with a slightly negative mindset. Came out pleasantly surprised, I thought it was worth the $8.50 on cheap movie Tuesday. Story was solid in my opinion and Lando Calrission is one of my favourite characters from the Star Wars universe. I hope they make another Solo despite the relatively lacklustre performance it's been having.

austic
06-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Why would they think they releasing after deadpoll and infinity wars was a good idea? Whoever chose that date should certainly be fired.

Xtrema
06-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Why would they think they releasing after deadpoll and infinity wars was a good idea? Whoever chose that date should certainly be fired.

To be fair, Solo picked 1st, Deadpool moved up ahead of Solo which also made Infinity Wars moved up a week.

ZenOps
01-10-2019, 06:14 AM
I wasn't expecting too much, but it was ok. Definitely gritty though - as in there was an awful lot of dirt everywhere. Dystopian city to trench fighting to space mining I literally felt like I needed a shower after done watching.