PDA

View Full Version : 89 Civic Clutch Install Question(s)

core_upt
03-25-2004, 02:42 PM
Hey everyone,

I need to put a new clutch on the beater as the one it has now is starting to slip (upon acceleration the car does not move well yet the RPMs go up). I figure, based on searches and discussions on here that the clutch is gone and will ne to be replaced.

I would like to try to do this myself, for financial reasons more then anything else, but I have never done something like this before and have little mechanical know-how.

I realize this is a big job but I can do it over a weekend if need be, time isn't much of a concern.

What all do I need to do this and exactly HOW big of a job is this and can it be done by a very amatuer mechanic. Also, what all do I need to get this done and where is the cheapest place to buy a clutch kit from (not performance).

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

hendosa
03-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey dude,
My guess is you might be better off getting a mechanic to do it. A clutch can be fairly easy to install for your first time if you can have a good look at everything, and understand how it goes together.
Since this is a civic, if you are doing it yourself I am guessing you would put a jack under the transaxle, unbolt it and drop it a bit, and shift it sideways to make a gap, and then take the old pressure plate/clutch off the flywheel and put new one on.
All this would have to be done under your car (I am guessing you do not have any means of lifting the car into the air) while sticking your arm into the housing and blindly undoing all the blots.
Next you would have to put the new clutch in with the pressure plate ( note that clutch plate would probably have to have the clutch alignment tool in it as well ) making sure that all bolts have locktite on em, and THEN you have to torque them right, which I can't see you doing with such limited space, but I'm sure you could somehow. BTW you need a torque wrench to do this so you'd have to get a hold of that too.
Once all that shit is done, you have to jack transaxle back up, and wiggle the input shaft to fit through the clutch plate and into the guide bearing in the output shaft of the engine. (note that clutch alignment tool has to be removed in the limited space that you have)
I know this has been a long post but from what I have experienced those are your basic steps. I have only done it on small block ford v8's:) when the motor was out of the car, but I hope this helps a bit. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself in this situation, could end up costing more money and a shitload of time than getting it professionally done.

I my opinion it is not a big job if you know what you are doing and have the right tools. A Dynamax clutch can be purchased at Canadian Tire but they are very shitty. Clutch should come with clutch alignment tool as well. CIT is not required but will make the whole process a lot easier.:burnout:

afchack
03-27-2004, 04:43 AM
you can't do it, trust me, doing a clutch on a front wheel drive car is not something a very amature mechanic should do, espicially if they have never done it before and have such little confidence that they have to ask on a message board.:thumbsup:

fedaykin
03-27-2004, 03:07 PM
I did the clutch in my 89 sentra, it was easy... just takes time... you'll need all your baisc tools, a hydrolic jack, a HAYNES MANUAL!! oh, and a 1-1/2" socket for your axel nut.

If you have a neighbore with wood blocks he is your best friend... jack it up all the way around, be careful no to jack too much at a time, since its unibody frame you dont wanna bend it... keep the jack right an the front of the frame for each side and as close the the cotrol arms on the back. place blocks under the car all around the frame to disperse the weight... you should be able to get it 1 1/2-2 feet off the ground this way... but like i said, be careful of the frame....

you have to take the starter off, front axels, engine mounts on the driver side... I fund it best to take your wheels off as well on the drivers side at least (i;m not sure if its manditory) so you can get under the car easier to look straight at the clutch. you will also need to keep the engine supported... a piece of 2x4 will do across the engine bay strapped to the engine... take the housing off.. your jack will also be used to help the housing down... and then you got acess to your clutch...

thats my basic description of how to do it yourself since the shop will charge you $4-500 in labour.

hendosa
03-28-2004, 04:32 PM
I still think you should get a shop to do it, the clutch is not something you want to screw up, get it done right.

core_upt
03-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah, methinks that I'll just end up having someone else do it. It seems like it might be a bit too much for me too handle. Thanks for all the replies and info!

Weapon_R
03-28-2004, 04:46 PM
A clutch job isn't easy. There is a lot of work involved, and its not something i'd recommend for a novice.

40oztofreedom
03-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Yah no kidding plus you dont want to be lying underneathe that car and trying to line up the transaxle with the engine while holding it up. Very heavy. Clutch job at a shop will take at least 6 hours to do.

garyb
03-28-2004, 08:59 PM
i need a new clutch on my 89 civic as well, not looking forward to dishing out $400+ for install.....wish it was easier

40oztofreedom
03-28-2004, 09:05 PM
^ haha which is why everyone stresses not riding the clutch so bad!
Not saying you guys do, just a general statement

hendosa
03-28-2004, 11:53 PM
wow! what kind of clutch job takes 6 hours? I guess a shop would probably charge that, taking consideration that they need to do it right or not at all, but shit thats a long time, especially if they have the equipment.
I did my clutch and flywheel in max. 1 1/2 hours with a buddy, but that was with the engine clear of the car and on probably one of the easiest vehicles to work on...

40oztofreedom
03-28-2004, 11:57 PM
^ I knew that dealership ripped me off two years ago:nut:

RickDaTuner
03-29-2004, 01:18 AM
I changed the Cluth on my Civic not to Long ago, well when i still had that car, it wasnt so bad just took a little bit of time i think the part that needs to be stresed the most is proper Pressure plat bolt Tightening, you need to do it in the right sequence and with the proper Ft/b, an inproper pressure plat install can lead to you causing uneven wear on your clutcj and later on lead to Vibration problems, due to a warped Pressure plate. honestly I would say Man up and do it yourself, if you want to be a able Body then you need to do things for yourself.

It really isnt that hard of a job, so long as you have some help, the tranny on a Civic can be lifted with out the use of a Jack, well so long as you don lift from underneath it, the worst that can happen is that you chip your garage floor the engine on the other hand does need to be supported by something, after you have that sorted out its a matter of replacing the cluthc and fly wheel and then mounting it back on, making sure that it all lines up and is good to go back in is about the hardest part about a clutch swap

just get your self a Torque wrench there easy to use and Helms/hayens manual it will gide you step byt step, even with the extra tools you need to buy it will Still be cheaper than takin it to some one else, and you get the satisfaction that you Did it!!

If you want to know your car in and out then you need to Dive into it :thumbsup:

cbr_ryder
03-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by afchack
you can't do it, trust me, doing a clutch on a front wheel drive car is not something a very amature mechanic should do, espicially if they have never done it before and have such little confidence that they have to ask on a message board.:thumbsup:

:rolleyes: