PDA

View Full Version : Q50 silver sport/ red sport reliability?

chungstachung
02-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Now that the Q50 15/16+ has been out for a while now, any one know of reliability or issues? Looking for a mid range luxury performance sedan and the Q50 red sport seems to fill all the boxes but unsure of the reliability as the car is pretty new.

Hallowed_point
02-14-2018, 09:48 AM
I wish that you could get a Q50 with a 6 speed. I'd be all over one. As for reliability, CR reported it as
one of the least reliable in it's segment. Sexy quick DD.

Mitsu3000gt
02-14-2018, 10:51 AM
I still think the red sport is the best bang for the buck car in that range. $47-48K after the discounts they have been running for the last 6-9 months (haven't checked recently though) and a 6 year powertrain warranty. The Infiniti dealer claimed they hadn't seen any issues with them, but I wouldn't expect them to tell me the truth. I don't imagine it's any less reliable than any other complicated car in it's class with turbos and tons of features.

NissanFanBoy
02-14-2018, 11:39 AM
Definitely on my radar to buy used when I turn 40 in a few years, so long as Nissan doesn't decide to come out with a new Z. :clap:

By then I'll be an old fart looking for an automatic because my legs hurt.

All new twin turbo engines from Nissan, I'd wait a few years if I was you.

mzdspd
02-14-2018, 12:15 PM
Have you actually driven one? On paper the specs look great but I was left very disappointed with the overall package.

dj_rice
02-14-2018, 01:48 PM
15 has the 3.7L N/A engine. 16 has the 3.0L Twin Turbo engine.

As for reliability, the 3.7L N/A is an older engine in alot of the older line ups so its a tested and tried/true. I myself, have the 17 model with the Twin Turbo, Silver Sport model I picked up in Sept. Its peppy and fun enough for me but the car does have its quirks. Such as the Parking sensors going ape shit during snow storms when I'm driving, I get a Blind Sport Malfunction error, turn off the car and its gone and functioning again. Theres no Power Folding mirror option :( and there a couple squeaks/rattles in the interior that need to be addressed. But overall, I like it.

As for HP, Get a Silver Sport 300HP one, and then get an EcuTek tune and your in line with Red Sport power specs if not faster.

I'm on the Q50/Q60 facebook groups, and so far, theres been a few blown engines but I believe its due to a couple tuning it and increasing the boost levels. The oil change intervals the manufacturer has set up is redonk. Every 16K for an oil change. I wouldn't wait that long, they are trying to compete with the Euro's with intervals that long but I'm a every 6-8K guy.

At the end of the day, I get in and drive it and I like it. Theres quirks here and there about it, especially the Intouch system is not as good as the Euros.

Redlined_8000
02-14-2018, 02:47 PM
15 has the 3.7L N/A engine. 16 has the 3.0L Twin Turbo engine.

As for reliability, the 3.7L N/A is an older engine in alot of the older line ups so its a tested and tried/true. I myself, have the 17 model with the Twin Turbo, Silver Sport model I picked up in Sept. Its peppy and fun enough for me but the car does have its quirks. Such as the Parking sensors going ape shit during snow storms when I'm driving, I get a Blind Sport Malfunction error, turn off the car and its gone and functioning again. Theres no Power Folding mirror option :( and there a couple squeaks/rattles in the interior that need to be addressed. But overall, I like it.

As for HP, Get a Silver Sport 300HP one, and then get an EcuTek tune and your in line with Red Sport power specs if not faster.

I'm on the Q50/Q60 facebook groups, and so far, theres been a few blown engines but I believe its due to a couple tuning it and increasing the boost levels. The oil change intervals the manufacturer has set up is redonk. Every 16K for an oil change. I wouldn't wait that long, they are trying to compete with the Euro's with intervals that long but I'm a every 6-8K guy.

At the end of the day, I get in and drive it and I like it. Theres quirks here and there about it, especially the Intouch system is not as good as the Euros.

So how does the steer by wire feel? Is it possible to get the Q60 or Q50 without that tech?

NissanFanBoy
02-14-2018, 02:49 PM
My bad, I thought op was only looking for red sports...yes, the 3.7s are awesome! I own two of them :) completely bulletproof

Mitsu3000gt
02-14-2018, 02:56 PM
So how does the steer by wire feel? Is it possible to get the Q60 or Q50 without that tech?

There are 9 different combinations of steering feel you can configure. I spent a lot of time with the car and honestly when I had it dialed in I didn't mind it at all - I could not tell a difference from any other similar car in the class. On a track you probably could, but driving around town, even aggressively, I couldn't really tell. Maybe I just got used to it but either way it was a non issue.

Rest of the car was good. Tons of power, good transmission with rev matching downshifts but the transmission is one step behind Audi/BMW/MB still. Real metal paddles instead of the plastic button crap even the Germans are using now. Interior is good but a noticeable step down from Audi/MB, you get the occasional reminder of that throughout but overall it's very acceptable. Doors sound good when they close. The emergency brake is push-on-push-off which was the only thing I really hated - reminded me of a 10 year old Dodge Caravan, not a 2017 luxury car, an all new model no less. Should have been an electronic E-brake. No android auto or apple car play available was the only other glaring omission (I don't think Nissan does this at all). Would have liked a little more exhaust note, but that's subjective. Other than that it is an absolute steal for ~$47K IMHO as it has all the latest tech and puts down numbers similar to the $65-70K competition. Full price of $65K I would be going German though.

dj_rice
02-14-2018, 03:22 PM

I don't have the DAS option on mine. But I did drive a loaner with it, and its cool but also weird. Feels like a video game and artificial. I like to feel the road and control. I don't like that its all controlled by a computer but I'm sure the older crowd or non-automotive enthusiasts will like the comfort of it. I'm sure its awesome for road trips and highway driving.

Yes you can get a base Q50, a Drivers Assist Package and or Drivers Assist and Tech Package (This package has the DAS steering and is fully loaded with Blind Spot Asst/Lane Departure Warning/Smart Cruise Control etc.)

And yes as Mitsu above pointed out, for a luxury car and not have Car Play/Android Auto when even Honda Civics have it but I've learned to live with the cars faults.

As well, the 18 model looks a bit different than the previous gen. I like the older gen as its more aggressive in the front end, and rear end but the new model's rear tail lights and now the integrated factory diffuser are a nice touch. But overall, the 17 looks much more aggressive, whereas the 18 looks more refined and classy and luxury.

Hallowed_point
02-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Man I want one of these...especially now that I know how good the steering feel is for EPS.

chungstachung
02-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Have you actually driven one? On paper the specs look great but I was left very disappointed with the overall package.
not yet, hopefully this week i will drive one.

I need to buy a car because my lease is up on the truck. For what I want this seemed like best option to buy until I can afford the f80 M3 in 2 years haha. Just not sure if its worth it to get the 3.0 TT or older 3.7

94boosted
02-15-2018, 09:03 AM
I wonder if these will also depreciate as fast as the G35/37's did. Definitely seems like a good buy, 400HP, awd, 6 year warranty for 50K.

bigbadboss101
02-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Those do seem to not hold value the best do they? Seem to be good cars. I guess if one keeps their cars for a long time they can overlook the depreciation aspect.

dj_rice
02-15-2018, 09:38 AM
not yet, hopefully this week i will drive one.

I need to buy a car because my lease is up on the truck. For what I want this seemed like best option to buy until I can afford the f80 M3 in 2 years haha. Just not sure if its worth it to get the 3.0 TT or older 3.7

Test drive both and see the difference. In terms of quickness, both are about the same. The TT is a little peppier from the start with the instant boost/torque, but the 3.7 is a higher revving motor so better for top end. Along with the 3.0TT, if your getting the MY17+ they upgraded the stereo a bit and a few new interior tweeks.

Those do seem to not hold value the best do they? Seem to be good cars. I guess if one keeps their cars for a long time they can overlook the depreciation aspect.

I can't speak for the RedSports yet but MY15-16 models can be had for high $20s mid $30s already so $20K hit already. But I keep my vehicles long term so depreciation didn't affect my purchase.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-15-2018, 10:15 AM
I wonder if these will also depreciate as fast as the G35/37's did. Definitely seems like a good buy, 400HP, awd, 6 year warranty for 50K.

I thought the V6TT was only 300hp?
Getting the signature edition for <$500/month leased is a killer deal for AWD. I just wish it had Android auto.

Edit - I see, the Signature TT is 300hp, but the red is 400hp.

Mitsu3000gt
02-15-2018, 10:16 AM

They already have depreciated ~$15K on the dealer's lot, which actually might make them hold their value better than average since the largest depreciation hit is covered by Infiniti.

The problem would be if you paid $65K for one, and a few months later they were discounted the way they are, then you would be having a bad time haha.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the V6TT was only 300hp?
Getting the signature edition for <$500/month leased is a killer deal for AWD. I just wish it had Android auto.

There is two versions - the normal Q50 with the 3.0TT V6 makes 300HP (also there is a 2.0T available). The Red Sport is designed to compete with the S4/C43/340i cars and makes 400HP from a similar 3.0TT.

And yeah, I don't know what Nissan/Infiniti's problem is with Android Auto and Apple Car Play but it's a glaring omission these days.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-15-2018, 10:17 AM
There is two versions - the normal Q50 with the 3.0TT V6 makes 300HP (also there is a 2.0T available). The Red Sport is designed to compete with the S4/C43/340i cars makes 400HP.

You beat my ninja edit.