PDA

View Full Version : Garage heating alternatives?

J-hop
02-16-2018, 12:18 PM
I’ve made the decision to get a gas line and proper heating unit installed this summer in my detached insulated garage after not being able to progress my project car very far this winter.

In the mean time though has anyone come up with a unique, safe and at least somewhat cost effective way to heat their garage in the winter without a gas line or huge electricity bill?

When I was young I would run a kerosene heater and get it up to temp before working. However in my adult years I realize how hard that was on my lungs with the soot it put out and also the higher risk of CO poisoning (not to mention your car and garage smell like burnt kerosene constantly).

I was trying to come up with some sort of venting system that could work with a portable unit but I’m pretty dumb. Any ideas?

Garage is insulated and before anyone says ‘just do the gas line already’, getting a gas line in requires me to rip up patio stones and part of my deck so I’m not doing that in the winter!!

oster
02-16-2018, 12:39 PM
I had the same plan this summer, I don't use the garage much but hate getting into a cold car...

My detached is fully insulated and figured I would get a small portable heater to survive this winter. Found one on sale at Cdn tire for like $40 and honestly does the job well enough that Im not going to bother installing gas line and heater. in the past few -20 nights its kept the garage +5-10 degrees.

benyl
02-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Solar Panel. Elon would be proud.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-16-2018, 12:47 PM
In the mean time though has anyone come up with a unique, safe and at least somewhat cost effective way to heat their garage in the winter without a gas line or huge electricity bill?

You can convert most any NG forced-air heater to propane, so you'd be periodically filling a tank instead of running a NG line to your shop. My Reznor UDAP-30 was actually propane-converted when I bought it and I had to convert it back to NG.

G-ZUS
02-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Group buy on garage heaters?

88CRX
02-16-2018, 12:57 PM
I had the same plan this summer, I don't use the garage much but hate getting into a cold car...

My detached is fully insulated and figured I would get a small portable heater to survive this winter. Found one on sale at Cdn tire for like $40 and honestly does the job well enough that Im not going to bother installing gas line and heater. in the past few -20 nights its kept the garage +5-10 degrees.

Is it electric? Which model and what are the operating costs?

HiTempguy1
02-16-2018, 01:03 PM
2400 watts of electric heating will keep a 24x24 garage at 10+*C if it is insulated, even when it is -30 out.

If you buy wifi outlets, you can turn the heaters on while at work if you want to be working later in the evening.

2400w ran 8 hours/day for 30 days is $30.

Problem solved. It will cost you thousands to get a line ran and a heater in. Is natural gas heating nice? Yes. Is it necessary? No, not if you are smart with your electricity usage even with the stupid carbon tax.

ExtraSlow
02-16-2018, 01:18 PM
2400 watts of electric heating will keep a 24x24 garage at 10+*C if it is insulated, even when it is -30 out.

If you buy wifi outlets, you can turn the heaters on while at work if you want to be working later in the evening.

2400w ran 8 hours/day for 30 days is $30.

Problem solved. It will cost you thousands to get a line ran and a heater in. Is natural gas heating nice? Yes. Is it necessary? No, not if you are smart with your electricity usage even with the stupid carbon tax.Totally agree. Electric heat is simple, efficient, and cheap to set up. You won't recoup the capital cost of natural gas for years.

Unless you are one of those people who want to keep the garage to 20C all winter.

I'd say for days you aren't working on the vehicle, you only need to run that heat for four or five hours in the morning before you leave for work, and only enough to get the interior up to 0C or so.

ianmcc
02-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Family member gave me an electric fireplace and mantle for free.
Can't comment on operating costs but only need to keep the garage around 5°C to keep the car clear.
Plus it's a mantle so another surface to pile crap on.

G-ZUS
02-16-2018, 01:25 PM
How much are you guys' utuility bills coming with electric heaters? There's a dude advertising garage heaters, with line and permit for $2400 on Kijiji

oster
02-16-2018, 01:25 PM
This one: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-ceramic-barrel-heater-0436145p.html

And I run it at max so 1500w overnight (on a timer) around 8 hours. Garage is insulated and drywalled.

AndyL
02-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Got a south facing window?

DIY solar air to air or air to water - using solar panels to power up a 12v washer pump or small fans - kept my garage in btown fairly comfortable. Just set them into the slider Windows and tuck taped.

rage2
02-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Unless you are one of those people who want to keep the garage to 20C all winter.
Doesn't everyone who has a garage heater do this? What's the point otherwise?

I haven't worn a jacket all winter. T-shirt, hop in car. Heated garage at home and heated garage at work. 20C year round FTW. :bigpimp:

suntan
02-16-2018, 02:20 PM

I haven't worn a jacket all winter. T-shirt, hop in car. Heated garage at home and heated garage at work. 20C year round FTW. :bigpimp:

This, this is the life of the true baller.

ExtraSlow
02-16-2018, 02:39 PM
I can't argue with rage. That's the right way. I take back anything I said to the contrary.

killramos
02-16-2018, 02:43 PM
I doubt my heated parkade at work is that much above 10 or 15 degrees.

Garage heated to 10 would be plenty enough luxury for me. Though mine is detached.

J-hop
02-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Whoa tons of great responses. I’ll have to spend more time reading them tonight.

Another issue I should have mentioned is I don’t have 220 to run a high wattage electric heater. Sucks, the person before us built a beautiful insulated garage but wasn’t a car guy or DIYer so didn’t equip it beyond the bare minimum. I figure if I go to the trouble to run 220 out there I might as well go the little extra to do gas.

~10C at -20 outdoors would be good as I have pretty decent thermal coveralls. 20C would be the dream!

I was thinking about a NG heater converted to propane but wasn’t sure how big of a tank I’d need and how I would refill it.

I wonder if I should think about closing off the rafters then as well? I like having them open for the open feel and quick/easy access to storage. But makes for a much larger volume to heat.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-16-2018, 02:59 PM
I'd close off and insulate the hell out of the rafters.

jwslam
02-16-2018, 02:59 PM
This one: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-ceramic-barrel-heater-0436145p.html

And I run it at max so 1500w overnight (on a timer) around 8 hours. Garage is insulated and drywalled.
Thanks for making me contemplate whether I need this...
http://www.factorydirect.ca/debranded-1500w-ceramic-barrel-heater

Seth1968
02-16-2018, 03:23 PM
1500 W of fan blown heat may be enough.

What's the dimensions of the garage including the height?

rage2
02-16-2018, 03:30 PM
Another issue I should have mentioned is I don’t have 220 to run a high wattage electric heater. Sucks, the person before us built a beautiful insulated garage but wasn’t a car guy or DIYer so didn’t equip it beyond the bare minimum. I figure if I go to the trouble to run 220 out there I might as well go the little extra to do gas.
This was the big reason I went with gas. 1 electric heater wasn't enough to keep my insulated 2 car garage warm in the winter and 2 would pop the fuse.

HiTempguy1
02-16-2018, 04:21 PM
This, this is the life of the true baller.

And a baller that wants rusty cars :nut: Also, we're talking about a temperature to work on cars at. When I work on cars, 20*C is way too warm if doing any serious work.

Thermall coveralls at 10*C J-hop? Jesus man, maybe you just shouldn't work on your car in the winter, probably should wear painters coveralls and tape up your wrists so no dirty salt water gets on you :rofl:

Whoa tons of great responses. I’ll have to spend more time reading them tonight.

Another issue I should have mentioned is I don’t have 220 to run a high wattage electric heater.

Why would you need 220?? A 15 amp breaker can run a single 1200w heater, are all of your outlets on ONE breaker? They certainly shouldn't be, I guess in theory they could be but I doubt it. Buy two 1200w heaters, 10 amps each, ran on outlets on different breakers. Problem solved.

Edit-
Keep in mind, I'm just bugging you about these things. Just some of the responses we are getting are very... Mar like :p

J-hop
02-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Haha no worries, I was thinking back to your 2400w heater for heating a 24x24, mine is only slightly smaller than that. Need to remeasure though, I keep forgetting. I think it’s 22x22 or 22x20

One on each might work.

Edit: totally missed your 10C comment haha. Yea man, I’m getting super soft. But yea 10C in the garage with thermal converalls would feel like +20 haha.

I did an oil change recently on my truck in the alley at -15, that was shit

J-hop
02-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Got a south facing window?

DIY solar air to air or air to water - using solar panels to power up a 12v washer pump or small fans - kept my garage in btown fairly comfortable. Just set them into the slider Windows and tuck taped.

No south facing window (only one north facing non-opening window I currently have covered up).

But I did seriously consider some sort of solar heating!

BerserkerCatSplat
02-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Why would you need 220?? A 15 amp breaker can run a single 1200w heater, are all of your outlets on ONE breaker? They certainly shouldn't be, I guess in theory they could be but I doubt it.

It's entirely possible. I have two friends with garages (one attached, one detached) that are are fed from a single 15A/120V breaker. Mid-2000s builds.

rage2
02-16-2018, 04:59 PM
And a baller that wants rusty cars :nut:
Ballers don't keep winter beaters long enough to rust. ;)

It's entirely possible. I have two friends with garages (one attached, one detached) that are are fed from a single 15A/120V breaker. Mid-2000s builds.
Single breaker for all my outlets in the garage as well. Thought that was the norm.

J-hop
02-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Single breaker for all my outlets in the garage as well. Thought that was the norm.

Yea actually thinking about it now I may be on a single breaker too. Again another great feature when a garage is built without the intent to run stuff in it

killramos
02-16-2018, 05:17 PM
Who needs that much power for junk and Christmas ornaments.

raceman6135
02-16-2018, 05:38 PM
My recommendation: definitely insulate and vapour barrier the attic (I believe you mentioned the walls were already insulated and vapour barriered). And pay attention to the seal on the garage door(s). That way, whatever you decide to do for heat will not be lost to the outdoors or up into the attic.

I'm currently using a mix of portable propane torpedo heater and 240 volt 4800 watt electric heat. Both my garages have sub-panels in them (60 amp), so it was no problem wiring in the appropriate receptacle.

I use the 30 pound propane tanks off my travel trailer for the propane heater when needed to take the chill off, then use the electric heater as my primary heat source. Can't run the propane heater too much as it pumps CO into the air, as well as some moisture (not good when staining wood), and it's fairly loud when running full out.

Electric heater from Can Tire: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-4800-watt-heater-0522638p.html
(Princess Auto sells refurbished ones like this for $20 cheaper)

Mr. Heater propane torpedo from Princess Auto: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/75-000-to-125-000-btu-forced-air-propane-heater/A-p8264541e
(I bought mine years ago, on sale, at a much cheaper price than they are now. Also, I probably wouldn't buy as powerful a heater if I bought it again.)

I will be going to a ceiling-hung natural gas heater sometime this year because I will be doing quite a bit of mixed work in my garage throughout the year: some metal/welding, some wood work, general repairs to things like lawn mowers, snow blowers, small appliances, etc. A ceiling hung NG is much more suited for that.

Isaiah
02-16-2018, 06:01 PM
Why not just run a duct to the garage and heat the garage using the same furnace that's already heating the rest of the house?

ercchry
02-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Why not just run a duct to the garage and heat the garage using the same furnace that's already heating the rest of the house?

uh... building/fire code? :dunno:

legendboy
02-16-2018, 07:41 PM
I can get deals on Modine "Hot Dawg" and others. I made the mistake once running a 5 or 10kw ouellet elect forced air heater for a month = $500+ electric bill lol. I saved tons of money digging the trench for the gas line myself. Tee'd off for my bbq also, cost around $650 including permit for the fitter!

What you need are 2 or 3 of those oil filled electric heaters. My grandpa used them in his garage and kept it quite warm.
Run them on low all the time, play with the thermostats after 24 hrs. They don't use a lot of current and hold/radiate heat for a long time. Maybe a few newish used from kijiji?

I think honeywell maybe makes the safest one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garrison-oil-filled-heater-0435994p.html

90_Shelby
02-16-2018, 07:50 PM
I just renovated my garage and upgraded to a Reznor, I have the old furnace for sale on kijiji and I'll take any offer rather then throw it in the garbage. It's an extremely simple gas fired heater that does not require any wiring as it has no fan. Nothing wrong with it, it works great. Somebody take it away!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humidifier-dehumidifier/calgary/garage-furnace-heater-natural-gas/1330047790?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

craigcd
02-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Hahahaha same here. Its the best- toss a spare winter jacket in the trunk and I wear a spring jacket or nothing. Underground parking is awesome.

....... also radiant head FTW

- - - Updated - - -

Certain that is illegal and not safe. Garage fumes (c02) can enter house is the reason I think.

legendboy
02-16-2018, 08:28 PM

haha word man, my garage is 20c all winter long

craigcd
02-16-2018, 08:56 PM
haha word man, my garage is 20c all winter long

Way easier to do that with a rear detached, the family uses the garage door 15 times a day at my house haha. I settle for about 10 degs and crank it when working!

rage2
02-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Way easier to do that with a rear detached, the family uses the garage door 15 times a day at my house haha. I settle for about 10 degs and crank it when working!
Our garage is open a lot too sometimes left open for a bit losing all heat. Close the door, 10 mins later, back to normal.

Seth1968
02-16-2018, 09:49 PM
What you need are 2 or 3 of those oil filled electric heaters. My grandpa used them in his garage and kept it quite warm.
Run them on low all the time, play with the thermostats after 24 hrs. They don't use a lot of current and hold/radiate heat for a long time. Maybe a few newish used from kijiji?

All electric heaters are 100% efficient. Given the same power input, all put out the same amount of heat. That is, an oil filled heater isn't more electrically efficient than a coil heater. One main disadvantage of the typical oil heaters, is that the heat rises vertically and goes straight to the ceiling. A forced air electric heater blows the air across the floor and as such, distributes the heat much more efficiently.

Another misconception is that oil heaters are better because they emit heat for a period of time even after they're turned off. That is meaningless, as they take an equivalent time to heat up and start producing heat.

ExtraSlow
02-16-2018, 10:16 PM
All electric heaters are 100% efficient. Given the same power input, all put out the same amount of heat. Seth said a smart thing. Totally agree with the physics of this statement.

benyl
02-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Drains and a dehumidifier FTW.

G-ZUS
02-16-2018, 10:50 PM
I can get deals on Modine "Hot Dawg" and others. I made the mistake once running a 5 or 10kw ouellet elect forced air heater for a month = $500+ electric bill lol. I saved tons of money digging the trench for the gas line myself. Tee'd off for my bbq also, cost around $650 including permit for the fitter!

I think honeywell maybe makes the safest one

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garrison-oil-filled-heater-0435994p.html

How much can you get a reznor for? Any hook up for install?

legendboy
02-17-2018, 10:05 AM
I'll check next week

ercchry
02-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Radiant in floor heat! Don’t want that gas heater melting the plastic on your summer car up on the lift!

goldfish168
02-17-2018, 11:55 PM
Has anybody looked into a waste oil heater? It'd be nice to just fuel it using used motor oil but my brief search shows they're like 10X the cost of a regular natural gas heater so you would probably never recoup the cost. Am I wrong?

Tik-Tok
02-17-2018, 11:57 PM
And a baller that wants rusty cars

Horseshit. I've heated my garage at 8* all winter long for 14 years. The longest car I owned was my Audi, for 8 years. There wasn't a spec of rust on it.

Has anybody looked into a waste oil heater? It'd be nice to just fuel it using used motor oil but my brief search shows they're like 10X the cost of a regular natural gas heater so you would probably never recoup the cost. Am I wrong?

Worth it if you have a daily supply of free used oil and plan on owning your house forever.

Buster
02-18-2018, 03:51 AM
Radiant in floor heat! Don’t want that gas heater melting the plastic on your summer car up on the lift!

I have in-slab water heating in the garage. Runs off the same boiler as my basement in-floor heating. It's pretty miraculous the recovery time on it - and the warm slab is comfortable to walk around on.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Are you married, because I'm interested....

Darell_n
02-18-2018, 04:12 PM

I’ve known a few garages that used these heaters. They all were switched to nat gas as the waste oil heaters were high maintenance and unreliable pieces of sh*t.

The_Rural_Juror
02-19-2018, 08:18 AM
Is gas cheaper than electric to install and run long term? I can do both but haven't picked one yet.

speedog
02-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Seth said a smart thing. Totally agree with the physics of this statement.

Electricity, as a fuel, has inefficiencies but the inefficiencies of creating electricity occur before it gets to the consumer.

Seth1968
02-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Electricity, as a fuel, has inefficiencies but the inefficiencies of creating electricity occur before it gets to the consumer.

How is this relevant to my point?

Maxt
02-19-2018, 10:31 AM

I’ve known a few garages that used these heaters. They all were switched to nat gas as the waste oil heaters were high maintenance and unreliable pieces of sh*t.

They burn a absolute shit ton of oil.. I took care of one for a while in a heavy truck shop, even with 20 tractors, and 40 pilot trucks on the road full time, they couldn't keep that thing in oil. Myself and others were bringing oil from our home garages and dumping it in their tank. Every month, it generated a couple of wheelbarrows full of ash to deal with on top of it.. The oil also has to be kept warm or its too thick to vaporize and ignite, which means giving up floor space to the tank...

ExtraSlow
02-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Totally true, but the consumer is charged by the watts delivered to thier house. If those watts are powering a heater, they are getting 100% efficiency for the energy they are buying.

Price obviously factors into economics, and methods of generating the power factor into environmental /social impacts. Methods of resource extraction matter too.

Darell_n
02-19-2018, 12:14 PM
They burn a absolute shit ton of oil.. I took care of one for a while in a heavy truck shop, even with 20 tractors, and 40 pilot trucks on the road full time, they couldn't keep that thing in oil. Myself and others were bringing oil from our home garages and dumping it in their tank. Every month, it generated a couple of wheelbarrows full of ash to deal with on top of it.. The oil also has to be kept warm or its too thick to vaporize and ignite, which means giving up floor space to the tank...

The ones I mentioned were at quickie lube places. With a building full of used oil daily they still didn’t work out economically.

J-hop
02-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Yea not sure how I feel about running a waste oil heater in an enclosed space? I imagine they aren’t super clean burning?

Isaiah
02-19-2018, 08:22 PM
uh... building/fire code? :dunno:

Please elaborate.

ercchry
02-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Please elaborate.

you are to have fire separation between house and garage, plus carbon monoxide and other vehicle related fumes can also get pumped around your house (entering house when air is not blowing through the vents). so many reasons why its not a good idea... and not legal. someone with a copy of the codes can post the sections if they want. but as i no longer work in the industry i have no access myself.

suntan
02-20-2018, 10:01 AM

You install a car wash before the garage, so your car is always clean.

benyl
02-20-2018, 11:51 AM
I have in-slab water heating in the garage. Runs off the same boiler as my basement in-floor heating. It's pretty miraculous the recovery time on it - and the warm slab is comfortable to walk around on.

Combined with floor drains, kids B-day parties in the garage make for easy cleanup. Turn up the heat to 21 and they can drop food and cake all over the place and I don't care.

We run ours at 15C all winter. My wife and kids don't even take coats when they go to Chinook or Market because you go from heated to heated parking.

Are you married, because I'm interested....

What about me? haha.

- - - Updated - - -

You install a car wash before the garage, so your car is always clean.

I was tempted when building my house. Was going to put waterproof drywall and a curtain.

But then we bought my mom a condo about 5 minutes away. It has a wash bay.

J-hop
02-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Do any of you heated guys have moisture issues at all?

Tik-Tok
02-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Separate garage, but no. Garage door aren't tight enough to be a problem. They're as sealed as they can be, but still not great.

ExtraSlow
02-20-2018, 12:41 PM
What about me? . I'm down.

rage2
02-20-2018, 02:04 PM
None whatsoever. If I come home from a car wash, there's a bit of high humidity in the garage that lasts for 5 or 10 mins. If I spray down the entire garage (2x a year) it's humid for about 2 hours as the floor dries.

No drains in my ghetto shack.

benyl
02-20-2018, 02:25 PM
None whatsoever. If I come home from a car wash, there's a bit of high humidity in the garage that lasts for 5 or 10 mins. If I spray down the entire garage (2x a year) it's humid for about 2 hours as the floor dries.

your garage is way looser than mine. Mine is really tight. :poosie: Even with drains, I'm running a dehumidifier to get the air down to 45%.

Sometimes I open the door for 5 minutes to exchange the air faster.

88CRX
02-20-2018, 02:26 PM

How is that possible? Your garage must be leaky as far as air flow is concerned.

Our detached, insulated garage which is fairly tight (no added heat) had tons of moisture problems. We actually added an exhaust fan that runs almost all the time through winter to get the air moving around.

rage2
02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
your garage is way looser than mine. Mine is really tight. :poosie: Even with drains, I'm running a dehumidifier to get the air down to 45%.

Maybe it's time I invest in a garage rejuvenation reno.

How is that possible? Your garage must be leaky as far as air flow is concerned.

Our detached, insulated garage which is fairly tight (no added heat) had tons of moisture problems. We actually added an exhaust fan that runs almost all the time through winter to get the air moving around.
Possible. It's been like that since the first day I installed the heater. I wash my cars a lot too, pretty much weekly. Insulated attached garage.

88CRX
02-20-2018, 02:27 PM

What dehumidifier are you running?

kenny
02-20-2018, 02:32 PM

A good side effect of heater drawing in air from the garage for combustion I guess vs in slab heating, no need for dehumidifier :P

rage2
02-20-2018, 03:34 PM
A good side effect of heater drawing in air from the garage for combustion I guess vs in slab heating, no need for dehumidifier :P
Ahh, that would explain it. Yes my heater draws air in from the garage. Ghetto pays off.

legendboy
02-22-2018, 11:17 PM

True! Nobody has parked in here for so long i don't really think of it as a garage anymore :nut:

rage2
02-23-2018, 08:50 AM
True! Nobody has parked in here for so long i don't really think of it as a garage anymore :nut:
White people. :nut:

bjstare
02-23-2018, 09:31 AM

As one of the few white ppl that actually uses their garage to park in, just boggles my mind that the majority of my people just fill their garages with junk.

Swank
02-23-2018, 02:45 PM
As one of the few white ppl that actually uses their garage to park in, just boggles my mind that the majority of my people just fill their garages with junk.
Same here. Storage for stuff you don't need, cold vehicles all winter, and sun damage to vehicles all year round really sounds like something you should be paid for, not paying for. I keep our garage as tidy and neat as the rest of the house, we pretty much park in our cars' bedroom.

Darell_n
02-23-2018, 03:25 PM
It boggles my mind how many take up all their garage space with a automobile instead of tools. My wife’s Subaru doesn’t mind me cutting wood, grinding, welding and spray painting next to it. That’s why my truck sits in the snow bank outside.

killramos
02-23-2018, 03:33 PM
ga·rage
ɡəˈräZH,ɡəˈräj
noun
a building or shed for housing a motor vehicle or vehicles.

Your Loss :rofl:

Tik-Tok
02-23-2018, 03:38 PM
The 'garage'? Hey fellas, the 'garage'! Well ooh la-de-da Mr French man!

It's a car hole.

J-hop
02-23-2018, 04:22 PM
It boggles my mind how many take up all their garage space with a automobile instead of tools. My wife’s Subaru doesn’t mind me cutting wood, grinding, welding and spray painting next to it. That’s why my truck sits in the snow bank outside.

My neighbor has an amazing woodworking shop that takes up almost his entire garage. I spend a lot of summer evenings hanging out there and drinking beer. Pretty nice to have a man (sorry I mean people) cave like that. Can’t have people over to my garage haha.

Tik-Tok
02-23-2018, 04:41 PM
My neighbor has an amazing woodworking shop that takes up almost his entire garage. I spend a lot of summer evenings hanging out there and drinking beer. Pretty nice to have a man (sorry I mean people) cave like that. Can’t have people over to my garage haha.

That's why you have two garages. One out front for parking, and one out back for the shop.

ExtraSlow
02-23-2018, 05:09 PM
anyone remember when I was obsessed with that ugly house with two garages? Fuck that place had great parking. Oversized front attached double with nice long driveway, and the shop out back could have parked six cars and was tall enough for lifts too. All in a nice inner city neighborhood. I still have wet dreams about that place, even if the interior was a total nightmare.

killramos
02-23-2018, 05:11 PM
But then you would have to come on my side of the tracks slow...

I used to walk the dog over by the house to the off leash park by the golf course, the neighbourhood is exactly like you would expect the Northeast to be when you get below the surface.

Tik-Tok
02-23-2018, 05:12 PM
I'm still trying to convince my wife to let me build the front garage. She's ok with it as long as we build a 2nd story on our bungalow at the same time... so the answer is a definite financial no.

ExtraSlow
02-23-2018, 05:15 PM
But then you would have to come on my side of the tracks slow...

I used to walk the dog over by the house to the off leash park by the golf course, the neighbourhood is exactly like you would expect the Northeast to be when you get below the surface.
Yep, I hung out around there a little too, take the kids to that playground sometimes. It's full of low class people like me.

killramos
02-23-2018, 05:17 PM
It’s a lot of money for the trailer park lifestyle.

ercchry
02-23-2018, 05:21 PM
I’m on a pie lot with a pretty oversized single... sometimes I lay awake at night trying to figure out how I can get more garage (no alleyway either)

I think I have it figured out though... double with a tandem on one half... just have to remove the current entrance from the house, shorten down the current bay to 20ft... then have enough space to go out the side another bay, take it down the side of the house and use the existing side entrance as the new garage entrance... also dig down more and pour a whole new pad so I can actually get into the thing... and put in a lift... park 3 cars and still have a “shop” space at the back of the tandem (and bike parking).... that’s not too expensive... right? :rofl:

rage2
02-23-2018, 05:35 PM
I think I have it figured out though... double with a tandem on one half... just have to remove the current entrance from the house, shorten down the current bay to 20ft... then have enough space to go out the side another bay, take it down the side of the house and use the existing side entrance as the new garage entrance... also dig down more and pour a whole new pad so I can actually get into the thing... and put in a lift... park 3 cars and still have a “shop” space at the back of the tandem (and bike parking).... that’s not too expensive... right? :rofl:
I just wanted to add a 3rd garage which would cover up the lower bay window by the stairs to my house, but since there's a bedroom above the garage, no engineer wants to even go near the project. I've given up, and waiting for one of the 3 car garage homes on my block to sell to move. Since there's only 2, it'll never happen haha.

I figure in another 5-10 years, self driving cars and taxis will be the norm and so cheap that I'll only need 1 summer car, and just get self driven to work everyday. Because if that doesn't happen, I'm fucked with 3 kids. Fuck if I could afford a 5+ car garage home paying for 3 kids. :rofl:

Maxt
02-23-2018, 05:37 PM
I'm building a new garage right now, so my wife can have the attached garage for the daily drivers. This is the last one I'll build in my lifetime, so I'm going to town with it...

ercchry
02-23-2018, 05:59 PM
I just wanted to add a 3rd garage which would cover up the lower bay window by the stairs to my house, but since there's a bedroom above the garage, no engineer wants to even go near the project. I've given up, and waiting for one of the 3 car garage homes on my block to sell to move. Since there's only 2, it'll never happen haha.

I figure in another 5-10 years, self driving cars and taxis will be the norm and so cheap that I'll only need 1 summer car, and just get self driven to work everyday. Because if that doesn't happen, I'm fucked with 3 kids. Fuck if I could afford a 5+ car garage home paying for 3 kids. :rofl:

Shit, I do have rooms over top... but only like 1/3rd into the garage (with the new depth, probably half way?)

Was thinking about that too... but was thinking worst case would be a wall separating the two bays halfway? Wouldn’t be a terrible option if I wanted to use the new bay for actual shop work (painting, grinding, welding, etc)

speedog
02-23-2018, 06:48 PM

This morning when I looked in the mirror I still appeared to be white and my wife's daily driver is always parked in the garage. My beast is too long to bother with parking it in the garage so some room is now left for shop stuff - am I doing this wrong as a white guy?

Tik-Tok
02-23-2018, 06:50 PM
I just wanted to add a 3rd garage which would cover up the lower bay window by the stairs to my house, but since there's a bedroom above the garage, no engineer wants to even go near the project.

Remove bedroom door off it's hinges. BAM! No longer a bedroom, just a bonus room.

J-hop
02-23-2018, 06:58 PM
lol if I had that kind of money I’d be out on an acreage with a giant quonset in no time.

Seth1968
02-23-2018, 07:15 PM
This morning when I looked in the mirror I still appeared to be white and my wife's daily driver is always parked in the garage. My beast is too long to bother with parking it in the garage so some room is now left for shop stuff - am I doing this wrong as a white guy?

Yes, as a white guy, you're now a POS racist.

Welcome to the mindset of idiocy.

ercchry
02-23-2018, 07:16 PM
lol if I had that kind of money I’d be out on an acreage with a giant quonset in no time.

The problem with that is if you want to be near the city even remotely, and not living in a swamp it’s $$$$$

Hell, even if you go as far as millarville or bragg it’s still stupid money

Maxt
02-23-2018, 07:16 PM
With revised rules in some of the md's and counties, you'd be better off building in a small town with simplified land use bylaws. You could actually build a larger garage on a 1 acre lot in a small town, than you could on 3 acres or less in the MD's.

J-hop
02-23-2018, 07:20 PM
The problem with that is if you want to be near the city even remotely, and not living in a swamp it’s $$$$$

I’d be in strathmore with a double wide lol.

Yea it gets pretty stupid if you want to go west, anything with a view of the mountains.

Maxt
02-23-2018, 07:24 PM

What do you consider stupid money?
Also the problem with Bragg Creek is restrictive covenants on the estate developments, no shops, stored trailers, no atv's etc.

ercchry
02-23-2018, 07:31 PM
What do you consider stupid money?
Also the problem with Bragg Creek is restrictive covenants on the estate developments, no shops, stored trailers, no atv's etc.

Depends on a few variables... but any time I look, it’s like you have to choose between rezoning land, having a decent house, or being so close to a neighbour that you might as well be in the city for anything under $1.5m

And then you have so many issues with lending, wouldn’t be insurable... some lenders won’t go that far out from an urban centre... tiered down payments over $1mm... etc, etc

Maxt
02-23-2018, 07:37 PM
There's been some decent acreages on in the last few years below the 800 mark.. They don't last on mls too long, you have to be on it with a new listing search every evening or a have a Realtor that's on the ball.

ercchry
02-23-2018, 07:43 PM
I’d love to be somewhere south east of 22x and 22 with a mountain (and possibly a little water) view... but even if I found something around $800k... i’d have to have some pretty major life things figured out first haha... like some sort of long term girlfriend or wife!

ExtraSlow
02-23-2018, 08:40 PM
I’d love to be somewhere south east of 22x and 22 with a mountain (and possibly a little water) view... but even if I found something around $800k... i’d have to have some pretty major life things figured out first haha... like some sort of long term girlfriend or wife!
Those don't help you figure your life out, or make anything more affordable.

legendboy
02-23-2018, 09:21 PM

ha! you loose again small asian man! :rofl:

and just to be clear, my garage is a dedicated work space