PDA

View Full Version : 89 prelude engine/tranny swap

compcrusher
03-25-2004, 03:44 PM
I am looking at buying a new B20A5 and 5 spd for my lude which is stock I want to know though if its possable to drop a B18C5 or other motor into my car. I want more power from my car and I can't find anything to hop up the B20A5, other than a header, flywheel and underdrive pully and some other small parts that don't really do a whole lot for performance. So i'm looking at other alternatives to meet my needs. And if I did drop a B18C5 into the lude would I have to have custom drive axles made? and I don't remember if the manual 5 spd is a hydrolic or cable operated clutch I know it has a LSD in it though. And I'm not even going to think about a H22 motor their good but I want light weight and good power and to keep my accesories like power steering and A/C. Any way if anyone can help with info that'd be cool.

Would it be worth the time and money for this swap???

:dunno:

funkytuqe
03-25-2004, 05:02 PM
I believe that the B18 tranny is hydrolic. You would need custom mounts and axles to fit that motor in, i believe that place racing my have some. However i have not heard many good things about their prducts. The B18C5 is gonna cost you an arm and a leg in the frist place plus a couple of grand for the mounts and axles. Just get yourself a 90 or 91 JDM B20 (140hp) then some nice cams, a header and call it a day. Check out www.preludepower.com there are tones of 3rd gen ludes with some pretty wild stuff done to them, and lots of parts hookups too including the Ludespeed 3g turbo kit.

kolumbo69
03-25-2004, 09:43 PM
Dont waste your time with the shitty b20a5, a b20b yes, but for a lude i would go for a h22a. The b18c5 isnt a cheap engine your like to find one around 5500 in calgay higly doubted though. BUt a h22a for you car should work out good im not sure but you could always try hasport for mounts and axles they should have everything, but im not sure

yohan4ws
03-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Definately drop in the H22 ... its not a small job and theres a couple of websites with writeups on it .. but if your considering the cost of a b18c5 ... you can drop in the H22 and get more power for about the same price including labor as just the b18c5.

www.teaminterlude.com i think has links to the write ups of the h22 swap in a 3gen.

lude_conduct
03-28-2004, 11:54 PM
Just go B20a5. There are no swap kits for any of the other b-series engines, so all the work would have to be custom=$$$. An H22A is pricey, heavy and overrated. It'll throw off the balance of the car and make it more prone to scraping on the bottom. As well, I've heard nothing but bad things about the Hasport and Place racing mount kits for it, both of which cost obscene amounts. Get a B20A from japan, and either get a set of cams from Gude, or do a turbo kit.

yohan4ws
03-29-2004, 04:46 PM
^ sure thats the easy way out .. but you can always get stiffer springs ,battery relocate to the rear (because a battery will center the weight :tongue: -yes newbs, thats sarcasm)

But there IS a LOT of custom work ... if you can do the wriing harness yourself (good for a few hours of fun) the racing mounts are crap ... but theres no other alternative and they do need to be modified .. hurray!

B20 is available, inexpensive and an easy way back on the road.