PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have or used an Instant Pot?

LUDELVR
02-27-2018, 12:29 PM
The wife is dropping hints that she wants one of these for Mother's Day. And by dropping hints, she said, "Get me an instapot for Mother's Day!"

In any case, has anyone ever used one of these things before? Are they even worth getting? Also, I've seen them range from $100 to $400 so what the hell is the bloody difference? I think I saw some at Walmart for a decent price but are they any good?

Any insight into these things or any experiences with them, let me know.

Cheers.

firebane
02-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Its not a InstApot .. Its a InstanTpot lol.

Bugs me.

If your going to get one get the Deluxe 6 qt.

LUDELVR
02-27-2018, 12:46 PM
Its not a InstApot .. Its a InstanTpot lol.

Bugs me.

If your going to get one get the Deluxe 6 qt.

I'll be sure to give her shit about that! It bugs me just as much as using "your" vs "you're"!! :devil: haha :rofl:

Have you used yours a great deal?

ExtraSlow
02-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Have you used you'res a great deal?FTFY

Alzo, whats with guy's buyin there wifes stuffs for mother's day?

LUDELVR
02-27-2018, 01:24 PM
FTFY

Alzo, whats with guy's buyin there wifes stuffs for mother's day?

I do it because she's a mother to my kid...and then I can get something for Father's Day!!

suntan
02-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Get the Ultra 6qt, or 8qt if you have a family. Order from Amazon.ca

You can make all sorts of stuff. I really like it for oxtail broth and pulled meats.

benyl
02-27-2018, 01:34 PM
chicken breast from frozen in a short amount of time that isn't dry.

Good shit. We bought ours on Black Friday for $60, regular $100 at Canadian Tire.

speedog
02-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Pressure cooker for millennials.

LUDELVR
02-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Get the Ultra 6qt, or 8qt if you have a family. Order from Amazon.ca

You can make all sorts of stuff. I really like it for oxtail broth and pulled meats.

This right here! I totally made the mistake years ago when I wanted to cook oxtail and tried boiling it! So bad! So very, very bad!!! I didn't have a pressure cooker back then and still don't. I have a slow cooker and have found a few recipes for oxtail but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

- - - Updated - - -

chicken breast from frozen in a short amount of time that isn't dry.

Good shit. We bought ours on Black Friday for $60, regular $100 at Canadian Tire.

What size did you get, the 6 quart? What size family is this good for?

Brent.ff
02-27-2018, 02:07 PM
Get off the instantpot wagon, get your wife an Anova...rejoice in all that is perfectly cooked

jwslam
02-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Get off the instantpot wagon, get your wife an Anova...rejoice in all that is perfectly cooked
I own both and disagree with your statement. Each of them serve their own purposes.

With one, I spent 3 hours cooking a perfect steak.
With the other, I cooked a spaghetti squash in 15min saving me 45min of oven time.

LUDELVR
02-27-2018, 02:40 PM
I own both and disagree with your statement. Each of them serve their own purposes.

With one, I spent 3 hours cooking a perfect steak.
With the other, I cooked a spaghetti squash in 15min saving me 45min of oven time.

Although I like what you're saying about the cooking time, I'm immediately repulsed by the durian avatar that you're sporting!

We have made spaghetti squash several times and this is a complete selling feature for my wife!

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Had once since November and it is my favorite kitchen thing I have ever bought other than maybe a Vitamix. We use it probably 5 times a week and it completely replaces the slow cooker.

You don't heat up your house using the oven in the summer, it cooks crazy fast, and the one thing you have to clean (the pot) can go in the dishwasher. They are also on sale all the time for dirt cheap so even if you only use it occasionally it's worth it.

Rice in 10 mins, meat pasta in 4 mins, pull-apart chicken in 9 mins, chili 6 mins, stews 35 mins, steel cut oats in 8 mins, fall apart roast beef in 30 mins, etc. Keep in mind some recipes require a slower pressure release which can add a few mins.

There is also an enormous following for these things, so if you ever need to look up a recipe there are endless choices.

6qt is the minimum size you should get, 8qt if you have a big family.

hrdkore
02-27-2018, 03:00 PM
if its a small family 6qt, deluxe version is more than enough. The deluxe model gives you hi/lo temperature. CT had it the cheapest when I bought mine. Also just an FYI. http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/instant-pot-recall-why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-your-beloved-pressure-cooker-melting-down

jwslam
02-27-2018, 03:05 PM
Although I like what you're saying about the cooking time, I'm immediately repulsed by the durian avatar that you're sporting!

We have made spaghetti squash several times and this is a complete selling feature for my wife!
We already picked a smaller squash and when we got home it barely fit in my 6 quart. If you're grabbing a bigger squash I suggest getting the 8qt Instant Pot.

I wish I had the 8qt for some things, but definitely the 6 I got was more than enough. Things like ribs and some larger roasts have been size problematic for me.

suntan
02-27-2018, 03:36 PM
And chickpeas and other beans in an hour from dried. Makes fantastic hummus.

Asian_defender
02-27-2018, 03:41 PM
I have an instant pot and love it!
Wait till they go on sale, I ended up getting this one for $120
https://www.amazon.ca/Instant-Pot-Ultra-Electric-Stainless/dp/B06Y1MP2PY/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen-substore&ie=UTF8&qid=1519767637&sr=1-4&keywords=instant+pot&dpID=51KCWbebgmL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
my favorite thing to do is pork hocks. :drool: girlfriend use to think they were gross. Loves them now

rage2
02-27-2018, 03:42 PM
I got one for xmas. I haven't used it once, mostly because I grew up in a house where we had several pressure cooker epic failures to the point where my mom stopped using them. She blamed shoddy China craftsmanship for our pressure cooker incidents, but Instant Pot is also made in China, and has also suffered such failures.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/02/07/woman-warns-of-exploding-pressure-cooker-after-suffering-severe-burns/

That shit scares me. Anyways, my gf uses it. I'll be more than happy to cook traditionally.

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2018, 03:50 PM
I got one for xmas. I haven't used it once, mostly because I grew up in a house where we had several pressure cooker epic failures to the point where my mom stopped using them. She blamed shoddy China craftsmanship for our pressure cooker incidents, but Instant Pot is also made in China, and has also suffered such failures.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/02/07/woman-warns-of-exploding-pressure-cooker-after-suffering-severe-burns/

That shit scares me. Anyways, my gf uses it. I'll be more than happy to cook traditionally.

In that article, if the lady used an instant pot, there is a little metal valve in the lid that drops down when there is no pressure. I think it is mechanical and not really something that can fail. If she read the manual I imagine that should have never happened.

She said "I let the steam chamber out. I mean there’s really nothing else I could have done,” but does not mention this tab which based on how it seems to work, would tell her if there is still pressure in the pot. At least that's how mine works, I am not sure if older designs differed but that's a pretty recent article. If the pot in the video is the same one that caused her the problem, it has the pressure tab.

Disoblige
02-27-2018, 03:51 PM
I think it is mechanical and not really something that can fail.
?

Mitsu3000gt
02-27-2018, 03:53 PM
?

As best I can tell, it's a little pressure tab that tells you when the pot is pressurized, and based on how it works, you would be safe either way. If it got stuck in the "up" position, she should have never opened the pot as a precaution, because the pot is telling you it's still pressurized. If it got stuck in the "Down" position, there would be pressure escaping. I am guessing she never looked at this tab because it isn't mentioned in her article, and it could have potentially prevented the issue. This is separate to the release valve.

Xtrema
02-27-2018, 03:59 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/4047526/instant-pot-multicookers-overheating-melting/

Also, don't buy ones that are melting.

suntan
02-27-2018, 05:26 PM
You're not my mom.

blitz
02-27-2018, 06:31 PM

That was an off brand “power cooker”, I think Costco started selling them online recently. Haven’t seen any Instantpot branded issues ones.

We have an early gen 6 quart and upgraded to the latest 8 quarter on Black Friday.

rage2
02-27-2018, 06:40 PM
That was an off brand “power cooker”, I think Costco started selling them online recently. Haven’t seen any Instantpot branded issues ones.

We have an early gen 6 quart and upgraded to the latest 8 quarter on Black Friday.
I’m not singling out instant pot. I just fear pressure cookers period haha.

ShermanEF9
02-27-2018, 07:50 PM
My co worker has been raving about theirs. his household loves it.

The_Penguin
02-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Have had one for a little while, really love it. I still sous vide steaks, but chicken and ribs are great in the instant pot.
Did sous vide steaks and instant pot lobster tails a few weeks ago.
There's a chicken tortilla soup recipe on the instant pot web site that's to die for, and I don't really like soup/stew.
Soft boiled eggs perfect every time.
I've done ribs a bunch of different ways, from super slow 12-20 hour cooks, to sous vide, but the 24 minute instant pot ribs were damned good, and can't bet the cook time if you're in a hurry.

vengie
02-28-2018, 02:41 AM
We use ours daily.

Best appliance in our kitchen.

bigbadboss101
02-28-2018, 07:43 AM
My wife loves ours. We got the 8 and then later the 6. She uses it multiple times daily. I don't use it. We have made hard boiled eggs, stew, and congee with it among many other things.

jwslam
02-28-2018, 08:38 AM
We have made congee with it
I use my instant pot for congee and when I need conpoy but didn't pre-soak it.
About 10min of pressure cooking is equivalent of pre-soaking the conpoy overnight.

LUDELVR
02-28-2018, 09:50 AM
Damn! Cheers for all the input. I guess this is what I'll be getting her as a present. On a similar note, how many of you guys that have an Instant Pot also have a slow cooker/crockpot? We just bought a new fancy one with the timer and have two older ones and she loves both of them. Did you just get rid of your crockpots outright or does each one serve its own purpose? Sounds like we should get two of these Instant Pots.

I remember my mum making a bunch of stuff in the pressure cooker like oxtail and I loved it! Miss it so much actually so I'm hoping to make some in an Instant Pot and see how it goes.

bigboom
02-28-2018, 09:55 AM
I've been using an instant pot for almost a year now and (knock on wood) it seems safe to me. The lid goes on with a lock mechanism and won't even turn on until the lid is locked in place, once locked in place the lock is only released when the "safety release" valve drops to allow the lid to turn. This safety release valve is mechanical and if it was to get stuck in a down position to allow the lid to turn pressure wouldn't even begin to build up.

The one that lady was using doesn't have that safety mechanism on it where the lid locks from the looks of it. Spend the money on an actual branded InstantPot!

bigboom
02-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Damn! Cheers for all the input. I guess this is what I'll be getting her as a present. On a similar note, how many of you guys that have an Instant Pot also have a slow cooker/crockpot? We just bought a new fancy one with the timer and have two older ones and she loves both of them. Did you just get rid of your crockpots outright or does each one serve its own purpose? Sounds like we should get two of these Instant Pots.

I remember my mum making a bunch of stuff in the pressure cooker like oxtail and I loved it! Miss it so much actually so I'm hoping to make some in an Instant Pot and see how it goes.

We've got both. My answer here is it depends...

The Instant Pot is great when you need to pressure cook something and break it right down, things like congee and such are awesome because of that because of how quickly it cooks instead of taking half a day its 45 minutes. The thing I've found though is for things like stews and what not I still prefer a slow cooker or stove top, you have more control over how much your meat/potatoes and such cook, I don't like a completely mushy stew. I also find the flavour of traditional slow cooking is deeper than the instant pot. The instant pot has a more superficial flavouring that cant be replicated with pressure, only slow cooking allows that.

When time is short though the instant pot allows you to do things a lot quicker!

suntan
02-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Join the Facebook InstantPot recipes group and the Viet one too. There's like 400000 members. Tons of great ideas.

rx7boi
02-28-2018, 11:06 AM
We have a 6qt InstantPot. This thing is the shit.

We made some beef stew the other day, just regular stuff like beef chunks and some veggies with broth. The meat was super tender and tasted great.

A++

LUDELVR
02-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Join the Facebook InstantPot recipes group and the Viet one too. There's like 400000 members. Tons of great ideas.

Seriously? There's a Facebook page for that! :rofl: of course there is! Why do I sound shocked. There's a Facebook page for everything. I will definitely have a look and let my wife know when I get this thing for her. Looks like I will get her the 8 qt one just to be on the safe side so we can make bigger items like ribs and whole chicken.

Cheers man! :thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

Look at all these awesome beyond reviews man!! How can you not want to cook with this thing? I'm totally psyched to get this and start cooking with it!!

- - - Updated - - -

We have a 6qt InstantPot. This thing is the shit.

We made some beef stew the other day, just regular stuff like beef chunks and some veggies with broth. The meat was super tender and tasted great.

A++

This is what I'm talking about!!

TurboMedic
02-28-2018, 02:22 PM
I have an Ultra 6qt, we use it tons for making soups and perfect eggs. I bought the ultra for the ability to small scale sous vide with it and that works really well. My dad makes yogurt in his, I haven't yet but he loves it for that too. I've made amazing wings in it, a few other small things but we do still have a slow cooker too. It doesn't work well as a slow cooker for some reason. But always discovering new things to do with it.

suntan
02-28-2018, 02:33 PM
The IP's slow cooker function sucks. It takes too long to get to temp and even then it can't hold it. The heat comes from the bottom, whereas in a good slow cooker the heat comes from the side.

Here's a very detailed article about electric pressure cookers:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/595-testing-multicookers-electric-pressure-cookers?incode=MCSCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_2

LUDELVR
02-28-2018, 03:03 PM
The IP's slow cooker function sucks. It takes too long to get to temp and even then it can't hold it. The heat comes from the bottom, whereas in a good slow cooker the heat comes from the side.

Here's a very detailed article about electric pressure cookers:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/595-testing-multicookers-electric-pressure-cookers?incode=MCSCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_2

Alright, done! I'm keeping one of the 3 slow cookers we have and the other 2 are being donated!

Yeah, I do like the idea of putting something on the slow cooker and having it ready when we get home but the versatility of just popping something in the Instant Pot is also good.

nzwasp
03-09-2018, 11:01 AM
And chickpeas and other beans in an hour from dried. Makes fantastic hummus.

I would like the recipe for this if you have it?

suntan
03-09-2018, 04:50 PM
I would like the recipe for this if you have it?

This is the "Ultimate Hummus" recipe from CI:

½ cup dried chickpeas
2 quarts water
⅛ teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons juice from 1 to 2 lemons
6 tablespoons tahini, stirred well (see note)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
½ teaspoon table salt
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
pinch Cayenne
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley leaves

We recommend Joyva or Krinos tahini and Pastene chickpeas (see related tastings). The hummus can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days. If you do not plan on serving it immediately, refrigerate the hummus and garnishes separately. When ready to serve, stir in approximately 1 tablespoon of warm water if the texture is too thick.

1. Pick through and rinse chickpeas. Place beans in large bowl, cover with 1 quart water, and soak overnight. Drain. Bring beans, baking soda, and 1 quart water to boil in large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup bean cooking water, and cool.

2. Combine lemon juice and bean cooking water in small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup. Set aside 2 tablespoons chickpeas for garnish.

3. Process chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.

4. Transfer hummus to serving bowl, sprinkle reserved chickpeas and cilantro over surface, cover with plastic wrap, and let stand until flavors meld, at least 30 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

To adapt to IP, cook the beans from dried for 30-35 minutes on HP (30 min = done, 35 = mushy, which some people like for hummus). Then follow the rest of the recipe.

abyss
03-09-2018, 10:09 PM
I've had one for well over a year now, I make yogurt, cheesecake, creme brulee, quickly proof bread dough in it, make various meat dishes (mushroom pork chops are AMAZING in the instant pot). We tend to buy a lot of braising cuts of meat, so it's been a timesaver on those for sure and I don't notice a lack of flavour but you do have to season more than regular cooking methods from my experience. Today I made pho http://iamafoodblog.com/authentic-instant-pot-pho-recipe/ it turned out really well and didn't take all damn day, so that's a win. There's a ton of online groups and great recipes out there. Thought I was buying a kitchen appliance, turns out I joined a cult. The Facebook group has over a million people in it.

suntan
03-10-2018, 12:13 PM
I would use beef bones over any cut of meat to create the broth. Oxtail bones are cheap as are rib bones.

abyss
03-10-2018, 06:52 PM
True. I guess I did change the recipe in that I added homemade broth to the cooking liquid versus just using the meat. For that same reason.

LUDELVR
03-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Well, I'm off to buy one today but my last question is this: Is it worth it to get the 8 qt over the 6qt if there are only 3 of us in the family? We often cook for people on Sundays so I know the larger one would come in handy on those days but from the sounds of it, we'll be using this thing almost daily and I'm wondering if the big one will be too much of a hassle for cooking smaller meals. Can you still make small portions in the 8 qt pot? Is there any real need for concern here or should I just go with the mentality, the bigger the better? Canadian Tire has them for 20% off and it's selling for 160 dollars so I'm thinking of getting that. I know that they go on sale for Black Friday but I need this for Mother's Day.

jwslam
03-13-2018, 11:47 AM
They work the same regardless of size. If your concern is being able to prepare enough food, consider getting a second insert so you can make 2 batches back to back. $30 for a 6qt insert off amazon.

LUDELVR
03-13-2018, 11:53 AM
They work the same regardless of size. If your concern is being able to prepare enough food, consider getting a second insert so you can make 2 batches back to back. $30 for a 6qt insert off amazon.

Oh, I didn't even think about doing this! This would be much handier! In the 6 qt, how much can you actually fit in there? I need a comparison because I have no idea what 6 qts of food looks like!

bigbadboss101
03-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Not waiting for a sale? We have both and sometimes they run simultaneously.

cdnsir
03-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Just having stew made from an Instantpot right now.... LOL

With a 5lb roast, we filled a 6 qt pot half way. Enough for a dinner and lunch leftovers for a family of 3.

LUDELVR
03-13-2018, 01:16 PM
Not waiting for a sale? We have both and sometimes they run simultaneously.

I would love to wait until Black Friday but like I said, I want this for Mother's Day and Canadian Tire has the 8 qt on sale for 159.99 so I might grab that as well as an extra insert like jwslam was talking about.

And what do you mean you have both? You have both a 6 an 8 qt instant pot?

hurrdurr
03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
I would love to wait until Black Friday but like I said, I want this for Mother's Day and Canadian Tire has the 8 qt on sale for 159.99 so I might grab that as well as an extra insert like jwslam was talking about.

6QT was $109 at Walmart this weekend. Not sure if this is a deal or what. I've considered getting also.

I imagine they'll go on sale closer to Mother's Day too ;)

jwslam
03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
https://instantpot.com/accessories/

Mitsu3000gt
03-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Oh, I didn't even think about doing this! This would be much handier! In the 6 qt, how much can you actually fit in there? I need a comparison because I have no idea what 6 qts of food looks like!

6qt makes a lot of food (it's about 6 liters), easily enough for 4 people or more depending on the dish. 8qt is only needed if you regularly cook for 5-6+ people from what I have seen, or if you want to do bigger roasts and things like that. The 8qt unit itself is also quite large if storage is a concern.

Mitsu3000gt
03-13-2018, 01:42 PM
6QT was $109 at Walmart this weekend. Not sure if this is a deal or what. I've considered getting also.

That's the "Lux" model which is the bottom-end one. It's mostly fine though - the difference is the Lux has no yogurt setting, it has no "low" pressure setting, just "high" and no lid holder. The IP60 DUO pots and above have the yogurt function, better display, and high/low modes. Most recipes call for "High" pressure anyway though. It's $109 all the time on Amazon too, not sure about elsewhere locally. The IP60 duo 6qt was $89 on black Friday and around $160 normally.

bigbadboss101
03-13-2018, 01:50 PM

From Amazon we bought one and my wife liked it some much the next time it was on sale we got another.

Yeah and my wife make our own yogurt now too.

LUDELVR
03-13-2018, 01:51 PM

Hmmm...maybe I'll just wait then. It's only 20% off at Canadian Tire this week but I'd much rather pay that than 200 for their original price! Yeah, I guess I'll hold off and I reckon you're right and there will be some deals on things like this closer to Mother's Day!

Cheers man.

LUDELVR
03-13-2018, 01:56 PM
6qt makes a lot of food (it's about 6 liters), easily enough for 4 people or more depending on the dish. 8qt is only needed if you regularly cook for 5-6+ people from what I have seen, or if you want to do bigger roasts and things like that. The 8qt unit itself is also quite large if storage is a concern.

And you have the Filipino cooking factor in your house hold so you know what you're talking about!! :rofl:

Looks like I'll be waiting until closer to Mother's Day to buy a 6 qt duo! Some awesome info and cheers for that. Now I feel pretty confident in buying the 6 qt duo and an additional insert. :thumbsup:

nzwasp
03-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Saw this today

LUDELVR
03-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Saw this today

Yeah, that's what they had the last time I posted and was really considering it but after reading some posts from other members, I reckon I'll pick up the 6 qt one and get an extra insert. Now I just have to wait for the 6 qt to go on sale so hopefully Canadian Tire puts that on sale closer to Mother's Day!

Cheers for the heads up though.

jwslam
03-19-2018, 01:45 PM
I reckon I'll pick up the 6 qt one and get an extra insert.
Food for thought: someone I know just got an extra insert and noted that it's the same size as the existing inner, meaning that they're not stackable for storage.

blitz
03-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Food for thought: someone I know just got an extra insert and noted that it's the same size as the existing inner, meaning that they're not stackable for storage.

I can confirm. We have the 8 qt with 2 metal inserts and the non-stick insert. Takes up a lot of room.

LUDELVR
03-20-2018, 03:37 PM
I can confirm. We have the 8 qt with 2 metal inserts and the non-stick insert. Takes up a lot of room.

Cheers for the heads up. I guess getting rid of our slow cookers will give us a bit of space so that will be good. blitz: how do you like the 8 qt? Too big? Just right? Would a 6 qt be sufficient or is the 8 necessary?

blitz
03-20-2018, 05:01 PM
We had an older 6qt, we upgraded to the 8qt with the yogurt mode. 6qt is fine 90% if the time, but the extra space in the 8qt is awesome for making stock (turkey carcass) and fitting in rack of ribs, etc.) doesn’t really seem that much larger than the 6qt, I think it’s just taller?

nzwasp
03-21-2018, 09:07 AM
Any of you guys making hardboiled eggs in your instant pot? I dont know if it is a problem with the altitude but I was following one recipe that said perfect hardboiled eggs were 5 mins manual with 5 mins natural release and then quick release after. However the eggs arent as hard as I would like and the shells are really hard to get off.

I followed this recipe:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/how-to-make-perfect-eggs-in-the-instant-pot/

bigbadboss101
03-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Hmm my wife made HB eggs and it peeled so nicely. We were so glad. Another time it was a bit harder to peel. Have to adjust the time slightly perhaps. Put in cool water as usual afterwards.

Mitsu3000gt
03-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Saw this today

Is that the 6 or 8 qt? I can't read the number on the sign past "Duo". 6qt that is not a good deal, old 8qt that is not a good deal, new 8qt Duo Plus that is a good deal.

LUDELVR
03-21-2018, 09:50 AM

Is that the 6 or 8 qt? I can't read the number on the sign past "Duo". 6qt that is not a good deal, old 8qt that is not a good deal, new 8qt Duo Plus that is a good deal.

When I checked Canadian Tire last time, it was 20% off of the 8 qt duo for 160 bux so I think it's the same one.

Mitsu3000gt
03-21-2018, 09:55 AM
When I checked Canadian Tire last time, it was 20% off of the 8 qt duo for 160 bux so I think it's the same one.

So the old "duo" and not the newer "duo plus?" If so the 8qt is $159 every day of the week on Amazon so CT is not offering any discount whatsoever there. If that is the newer version then that is a good deal.

nzwasp
03-21-2018, 10:35 AM
Its the 8 Quart.

I think I have a 6 quart one at home but we got it for $120 a couple years ago. I wish I had the 8 quart because making things like stock would be better in it.

C4S
03-21-2018, 04:15 PM
I think every Chinese has one (or two) at home ...

Have mine for over a year (or 2?? ) used .. twice? lol

speedog
03-21-2018, 07:16 PM
$118.88 at Canadian Tire for the Instant Pot Lux 8 quart per their flyer.

So what is this thing getting you that a programmable Hamilton Beach on sale for $39.99 can't offer?

SKR
03-22-2018, 08:13 AM
$118.88 at Canadian Tire for the Instant Pot Lux 8 quart per their flyer.

So what is this thing getting you that a programmable Hamilton Beach on sale for $39.99 can't offer?

You get to be part of the cool kids club.

Strider
03-22-2018, 08:45 AM
Does Hamilton Beach even make a pressure cooker? I fail to find any reference to the existence of one on their website or on the first few pages of a Google search.

Mitsu3000gt
03-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Does Hamilton Beach even make a pressure cooker? I fail to find any reference to the existence of one on their website or on the first few pages of a Google search.

Neither can I - I think the closest thing Hamilton Beach makes is a low-end rice cooker.

speedog
03-22-2018, 05:52 PM

Old man needs to read better, was a programmable slow cooker.